The dead kid

Printer-friendly version

THE DEAD KID

The dead kid was late again today, and all the class knew what that meant.

When the dead kid first showed up, nobody quite knew what to do with it. Debate raged up and down the school system. Meanwhile, the dead kid kept coming every day. So finally they let it stay. By this time, the class had noticed the pattern the dead kid followed.

On good days, it came early, moved more smoothly, and acted much more, well, alive. Teachers swore they could almost see the person the dead kid had been, before it had died. But when it was late, and that meant that whatever mortician fixed it up for school had not had a good night.

And today it was the latest yet, so late they started to think it wasn’t coming at all when they heard the by now familiar clumping sound it made when it walked. Everyone shuddered as it made its way to the desk they had provided for it. On good days, all but the most sensitive kids could deal with it now.

They had figured out the dead kid wasn’t interested in eating their brains or anything like the zombies in the movies, and so they carried on like everything was normal. But not on bad days, and today was the worst yet.

On bad days, it was a walking reminder that all things rot, which might be a good lesson in theory, but difficult for a bunch of kids to deal with in practice. Bits kept falling off it, and the dead kid would simply stop and pick them up and push them back into place.

It was moving very slowly today, but it found its way to its seat and turned its eyes, such as they were to the blackboard at the front of the room. Nobody was too sure why it came to class, or if it understood what was being taught, but it did look at the teachers when they talked.

If it had been alive, they might have worried about the fact that it had no friends or playmates, but as it was, they were grateful it seemed content to watch the living play and learn. Of course, that it was content was an assumption, for nobody really knew what it was thinking and feeling, or if it really thought and felt at all.

One of the teachers said she thought that maybe the dead kid didn’t know it was dead, so went through the routine of going to school because that’s what kids do, Nobody asked the dead kid’s opinion on the subject, or any other, for that matter. It sometimes made noises, but hadn’t spoken any actual words, as far as anybody knew.

It was lunch time, when things changed,. Now, nobody was even 100 % sure what gender the dead kid was. It was dressed like a boy, but it seemed to have an indefinable feminine quality about it, especially on good days. Despite this confusion, or maybe because of it, a debate developed over what would happen if someone kissed the dead kid.

None of the boys would volunteer as long as the issue of gender was unresolved, but one of the girls decided she would risk it.

They had heard the nurse at the school say it carried no diseases that they could find, so a small kiss could not do any harm, and so she waited until just before the bell rang, quickly came up to it, and said to it, “can I give you a kiss?”

The dead kid dropped its hands to its side like it was surrendering, and she took that to mean “yes”, and leaned in, and gave a quick peck on the dead kid’s lips, and then turned and ran into the school.

Her lipstick stained the dead kids lips, the first bit of color on its face anyone had ever seen. Almost immediately, there was a difference.

The dead kid moved into the school faster than it had even on its best day, and by mid-afternoon, people could see that some of the worst flaws had somehow healed themselves.

For the first time, the teachers could tell what color eyes it had, and that feminine quality seemed overwhelming, but its actual source was still a mystery.

Sadly, the effect didn’t last, and within a week it was back to the same old routine, and the same people who had been so sure it was a girl were no longer sure.

But something had changed in the dead kid, but nobody could see it yet.

Some force, some magic in that simple kiss remained dormant inside, waiting.

Waiting for the day when the dead kid wouldn’t be dead anymore. And the secret of the dead kid wouldn’t be a secret anymore.

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I struggle with your writing...

Andrea Lena's picture

...no matter what genre or mode...no matter what subject or theme...it all comes back to one thing for me...I can't not feel pain or sadness when I read your work...but I can't help but feel hope as well. Your stories and poems reach in and grab my heart. Please stop this because it hurts...No... don't stop because it's good for me. Thank you.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Dio benedica la mia bella amici

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Wierd

This is wierd. Macabre. I dont think I like it, sorry.

Briar

Briar

A very different beginning

that could definitely go somewhere interesting.

SuZie

SuZie

Brilliant

Brilliant metaphor, beautifully written.
Thank you
Michelle

The really horrible thing

about this story is that I can identify with the dead kid. Secrets are like that, they can make you feel that way. I didn't like this story. But the reason I didn't like it is because it illuminates too much about myself, things I would rather keep in the dark recesses where I can hide them behind happier stuff. But that's a good thing, no?

Hugs
Carla Ann

Truly Different.

RAMI

I am not sure what my take on this is. Who was this child? Why has this child not found the ability to cross over (as they say) and find contentment? What is the child searching for? Where did it come from? Is it a former child from the school who died tragically or prematurely, or some spirit seeking a place to find itself before returning to its source?

I unfortunately do not think the child's spirit will reach that goal, unless help there by dorothycoleen.

RAMI

RAMI

The Dead Kid

Dorothy - if I may be so bold. Thank you.

A very powerful story & much like others of your work. I immediately went to your poem "The Lost Ones" which, to me, expresses somewhat similar thoughts. I see both as metaphors for man's inhuminity to man.

I belong to an international group - too old to be an active member - one of whose tenents in their Creed is "That service to humanity is the best work of life". The simple kiss of one individual gave an spark of life to the "dead kid" - which lasted for some time before losing its effect. What if the entire school - community - had embraced the child - extending their love to revive the child?

This site seems - to me - to embody the sense of service to humanity expressed in our Creed. There is so much hurt described in so many authors' writings & so much support expressed in the comments of their fellow authors, that I see kisses flowing non stop to the "dead kids" who have & are suffering so much from their fellow man's inhumanity to man.

Just a fasinated reader.

May the sun always shine on your parade.

Interesting, if bizarre.

This is about the most macabre and disturbing thing I've read that wasn't by Lovecraft or Poe. . .

Fab

Like a melancholy haiku.

XX
AD

Brilliant

This is a brilliant piece of writing. Unfortunately most people won't "get it."

The opening line, "The dead kid was late again today, and all the class knew what that meant." just grabs the reader's attention and doesn't let it go.

The story also has the ability to be a metaphor for many things, and so it has the potential to appeal to a broad range of readers. They can read it and interpret it in a very personal way, looking at it from their own perspective.

The visuals are very vivid. It is hard not to see the dead kid shuffling into class and sitting at its desk.

A very good solid short story.

The dead kid

Love the way that you left the identity hidden. Will you continue the story?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

dead kid

this is neat, odd but interesting

Reminds me of some Edgar Allen Poe stories

Maybe I'm all screwed up. But I remember reading several of Poe's pieces and feeling like there were all kinds of secrets. And yet, the story pulled me in to reread and find out all the secrets. In the end, many of the answers are not there.
DD