Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 918.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 918
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I suspected from the fuss the three youngsters made of Julie’s shoes, that I’d be fighting a war of attrition to stop them from having silly shoes. Possibly, both Meems’ and Livvie’s feet would be too small to wear Julie’s shoes, but Trish might not as she grows.

Then again, Julie might get over the novelty eventually–mind you have I? I wear heels quite a bit, although I usually stop at three inches, because that is quite high. It makes me laugh that in transgender stories some bloke goes from only ever having worn flat men’s shoes to walking perfectly in four or five inch heels in a single paragraph–it’s nonsense. Wearing that sort of height of heel bloody cripples you, rubs blisters and hurts like hell in feet and legs–I know I’ve tried it.

That I’d bought each of them a prezzie from our shopping trip, made the girls a bit more amenable to my authority, but only just–plus I had to show I’d bought something for the boys as well. Anyway, I quelled the mutiny by sleight of credit card, though I think I shall have to watch that this isn’t seen as a precedent.

Julie decided she would wear her new outfit tonight and again on Thursday when she went to the pictures. Once home, while I cooked she disappeared to her boudoir with her three protégés to organise her toilette and dress to kill. She could do the ironing tomorrow while I baked some cakes and pies.

Tonight I did something light, fish and oven chips with garden peas; not my favourite meal, but one which would have them licking their plates afterwards–not just the kids but also Stella and Tom. In the event–only Kiki ended up licking her dish, but the food went down very well.

Julie came down with makeup trowelled on. I suggested that Leon might think she looked like a drag queen–she was horrified, especially when Stella nodded in agreement.

“Well, what should I do then?” she pleaded in tears. I glanced at Stella, who is much more of a whizz with makeup than I. She took Julie up her room and, using Julie’s makeup, gave her a makeover which the other three were not allowed to watch, so they could judge the outcome better. Trish and Livvie took great exception to that and got quite stroppy, pouting like a gurning salmon.

“Look, kiddos, when you’re older, Auntie Stella will show you what to do as well.”

“I want you to show me, Mummy,” said Meems.

“When you’re older, Mima.”

She seemed contented with that answer and went to play with her dollies. Trish and Livvie pouted some more and lounged about the place like lethargic leopards. I couldn’t understand why Julie hadn’t done the same as she did before, when she seemed to be doing her makeup so well. Oh well, I’m not a teenager any more–thank goodness.

When Julie came down, I agreed Stella was very good at makeup and hair styling, she’d done both–Leon was going to think he’d come for a date with a model. The girls were suitably impressed and I finally managed to get them to think about other things.

Danny was wolf whistling at Julie, who loved every second of it, Livvie was trying to copy him, with little success and Trish and Billy were laughing themselves silly at Livvie’s attempts.

When Leon arrived, I let them use the lounge on the understanding that they didn’t close the door or indulge in anything more than a kiss or a cuddle, so clothes had to be kept on, except perhaps shoes.

For the other kids, they had to stay out of the lounge and not disturb Julie or Leon. They giggled themselves silly, much to Julie’s annoyance, but they all agreed.

Leon duly arrived and his eyes came out on stalks when Julie made her entrance. I suspect something indicated he was pleased to see her–but I reminded them, it was Tom’s house and as I was acting with his full authority–there was to be no hanky-panky. They agreed and I left them to it.

Then it was story time, girls first–some Secret Seven stories I bought over the internet, originals not the politically corrected ones. The boys read to me, some Biggles stories, obtained the same way. Well I enjoyed reading them when I was a kid, both Enid Blyton and Capt. WE Johns.

I took some drinks into our courting teens–actually, I called Julie out to take them in, some cola drinks with some biscuits and crisps. She seemed to appreciate my indulgence, although her lipstick was somewhat smudged, which made me smile. She blushed when I mentioned it to her–I know, I’m a rotten swine; hee hee.

I sent Leon home at ten, he had half an hour’s ride home and it was raining–actually what I did was borrow Tom’s car and drive him home–his bike went in the back. Of course Julie had to come with us–natch.

We called in to see Leon’s mother, and she made us very welcome–not quite killing the fatted calf, but nearly so.

“Dis woman, she have da powah–da powah is very strong in her. You, young ting, you have da potential to get it, but it won’t be easy,” she told Julie.

After escaping Theresa’s hospitality–she’d have fed us the whole fridge if we’d let her instead of a cuppa and a digestive biscuit, which is what we had at my insistence. I did some more healing on Theresa and Julie saw the blue light transfer from me to the older black woman.

It gave us something to talk about on the way back. “Why does Trish have the power and I don’t?”

“Why does Trish have blue eyes while you have brown ones?” I replied.

“Genetics,” replied Julie. I need to make my analogies more suitable.

“Okay–I don’t know, the energy chose her for some obscure reason. I mean why did it happen to me?”

“Because you’re a good woman.”

“Yeah sure; a positive paragon, a living saint.”

“An angel,” Julie added.

“I was being ironic, Julie–I’m none of those things, I’m ordinary–as far as that goes in our situation–no squeaky clean ethereal being. I’m flesh and blood with feet of clay, like everyone else.”

“So why does Gramps say you’re special?”

“Because he considers me his daughter, and parents are always proud of their children.” Realising what I’d just said I tried to modify it, “Positive parenting is all about helping kids to reach their potential.”

Julie was looking out of the window, but I knew she was silently weeping. “My mum and dad weren’t proud of me–they were ashamed of me.”

“If it’s any consolation, I think mine were the same–for a long time at any rate.”

“I’m glad you’re my mother now, Mummy.”

“So am I, sweetheart. Did you have a nice evening?”

“Yes thank you.”

As we drove along, I suddenly said, “Damn, damn, damn.”

“What’s the matter, Mummy?” asked a concerned Julie.

“Nothing–that was the curse of the mummy.” I delivered this line dead pan and Julie had to think about it before she started to snigger, then she chuckled and snorted before laughing loudly.

“That was awful, Mummy,” she chortled at me.

The next morning I made her wash her stuff by hand–the outfit she’d worn with Leon. Sequins come off in the machine and the exercise would be good for her. Then she did some more ironing while I baked some simple sponge cakes, and made some pastry and then some pies with it. I did an apple pie and a savoury one–chicken and mushroom.

Julie made a new loaf–with a new recipe in the bread machine, a granary loaf as opposed to the usual wholemeal.

After lunch–some pasties I made with the pies, we did the laundry–stripping another couple of beds and making up new ones–easier with two of us. I left her in charge of the machine while I went to collect the three degrees and she’d pretty well finished it all by the time I got back. Once it was dry–we had some more ironing for her to practice on–such are the delights of womanhood.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

>> pouting like a gurning salmon

Puddintane's picture

Astonishing image. I didn't know they even smiled, much less competed for prizes.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

omg

The images I found, it's hilarious! I can virtually imagine that expressions on those fishy contestants :).

Well apparently she has the powah like Theresa says. I think Theresa's respect for Cathy is pretty profound and deep and no doubt has carried over to Leon as behind the scenes Theresa must be passing on some of her cultural heritage to him.

Theresa however respects her without going over board which I think she does because she does not want to embarrass Cathy with her by showing awe.

Kim

I like

the curse of the Mummy. Glad to see that Julie 'got it' eventually; maybe now she'll realise that Cathy and her family are just ordinary nutcases with a slightly unusual history.

Susie

Bringing up Julie.

Well; it seems that Cathy has started out on the right track but rest assured, Julie is a teenager.
I'm just waiting for 'The Big Bang'.
As for the 3 degrees, well the pot is beginning to boil but there's years yet.
Keep writing Angharad, & I'll keep reading.
LoL
XOXO
Bev.

Beverly Taff.
This is wierd. I haven't changed my password but the site wont dispayl all my thingies at the side like 'Submit Story'!

Cathy uses some rather

Cathy uses some rather interesting comparisons in describing her family members and their going ons. Altho I have seen many salmon, I don't believe I have ever seen a "gurning" one. I recently gave my grandchildren my editions of Enid Blyton's books that I had collected when I lived in England in the 1950's. What fun they were to read when I was a child and now they will be introduced to the "Famous Five". Jan

Maybe the boys

would enjoy the Just William books by Richmal Compton,.... Just so long as the stories don't give them too many ideas about tricks to play on their sisters !!!

Kirri

Bike pt 918

It's easy to see that Cathy's adpted family have jelled together, quite nicely. The only reason that Theresa is taking so long for Cathy to heal is that she still has a lot to teach Julie and Leon.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Interestink, yet again...

Julie is told she has "potential"... That has the "potential" to piss her off. Many teens I know want that "instant gratification" and working toward potential just isn't worth it for them. Hopefully, with Tom as an example, Julie'll do okay. (Cathy flies off the handle to easily - though her heart's usually in the right place; Simon and Stella also each have their issues. Hey, I have my share too.)

Have to run now... Laundry calls (Real world LOL)

Annette

You can tell that something Bad is about to happen

Angharad has been getting us all relaxed and settled down into ordinary everyday life lately... This is just so she can increase the shock. You wait and see. Am I right or am I right?

Briar

Briar

Let's see...

OK, how about this: Julie brings her friends over, and is just introducing them to Leon when our friends from the Russian Mafia turn up, and force an exodus of the entire troupe up to Scotland :)

Alternatively, Brian Ferris decides he's getting nowhere fast within Sue Brown's "Football Girl", so starts nosing around Portsmouth instead...
...until Henry discovers that the ferret is unfortunate enough to have a large mortgage with High Street Bank, and is behind on his repayments...

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Most likely right

and if past is a teacher the shock will come in the last paragraph of an otherwise calm episode.

Ooh, how could you?

Angharad's picture

all these accusations of murder and mayhem - I mean, would I put my characters through such things? I'm just a weak, defenceless woman, who's led such a sheltered life...

Angharad ;)

Angharad

Murder and mayhem?

Murder - no. Firstly, it's not your style, and secondly, if anyone connected to the Cameron Clan was murdered, you'd have to deal with oodles of "How could you?!" comments.

Mayhem - yes. Surely that's the unofficial raison d'être of the clan? :) Perhaps the family motto should be Chao Ad Ordo (as opposed to Ordo Ad Chao)...

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I Promised That I'd Comment

... every time I got caught up so this is it.

Unfortunately, I had a tiring day yesterday, am having a tiring day today and the pattern will be continuing tomorrow and there's no way I could compete with the intelligence shown by your other commentators so I won't try.

Let's leave it with my thanking you for your magnificent work. I really do enjoy it.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Shoes

So the shoe is about to drop. Maybe not, Angharad likes being unpredictable.

Then again, Cathy does get to suffer.

What do Dyslectic Mothers Prefer to name their sons?...BOB

I'd like a show of hands, how many out there know what gurning is. Don't be shy now, how about you in the back? No, don't touch your nose with your chin, answer up.
Great mother, letting the kids snoggle in the den, Poor Leon, Julie is a teenagers
Hey, that's no worse that the mummy's curse joke.

Cefin