Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 909.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 909
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I was pleased to hear the hippopotamus was recaptured, if only because I knew someone would try and record it for the mammal survey. I’m half expecting someone to send in sightings of big cats–apparently there’s one been seen in Dorset recently–which probably means, an overgrown tabby was seen by a short-sighted elderly, vicar as he drove past it at eighty miles an hour after dark.

I’d found Julie in my bed last night and she had clung to me in her sleep–she’d also had at least one nightmare of being killed by her father. I’m going to get a restraining order against her parents–I’ve left a note to remind me to call Rushton Henstridge to organise it.

I got up early because I was too hot in bed–so it’s five o’clock and I’m sitting here in my nightdress, fiddling on my laptop and dealing with survey stuff and drinking tea. Tom will be up in an hour, so I’d better get a move on, because I won’t get much done when he comes down. He’ll tell me all about his meeting and dinner and then walk the dog before he has his breakfast.

I’ve also made a shopping list of groceries we need–I’ll have to go to Asda or Tesco in case the other supermarket worries Julie. She told me he bundled her into the boot of his car–why nobody intervened, or at least called the police is astonishing. I can’t believe no one saw it.

I must make some bread as well–if I put the machine on next it could be ready for breakfast. So that’s what I did. The only qualm being, if they smell fresh bread at breakfast–they won’t eat the old first. If that was my only dilemma I’d be made.

Simon phoned just before I went to bed–I explained what had happened and he got very exercised about it–and told me off for getting involved. If I hadn’t, I think Kemp might have killed Julie anyway, and perhaps himself after. I can’t believe he isn’t upset by what he thinks he’s done–in which case, serves him right. His wife will probably go to her grave believing she’s completely right in everything. Oh well, she’d be resistant to any form of rehabilitation–so she can deal with her misery by herself.

Sometimes I wonder what could possibly happen next–but then with an Israeli hit squad killing some bloke in Dubai, with a plot straight out of a Freddie Forsythe spy thriller–shows it’s not just Portsmouth that’s going crazy. Also, the so called woman assassin–could she be a man in disguise? Why not, the whole thing is so bizarre?”

I heard Tom come down and switch on the coffee maker–I think I’ve mentioned he likes it strong–it’s like the stuff that flows down the Severn Estuary after heavy rain in the Welsh mountains–viz. mud.

“Och, ye’re up early?”

“Yeah, I couldn’t sleep–too much flying round my head, so I’ve done a couple of hours work on the survey.”

“I ken whit I meant to telt ye...”

I thought, here we go–memoirs of a university gossip–but it wasn’t. He had a student apply for the ecology course, who was a transitioning male to female–planned on making the change as soon as he left home. Apparently, the applicant had heard that someone at Portsmouth, had done so with the blessing of the university and wondered if they would consider doing it again?

“Can I cope with another one?” I asked him, I had two under my roof–did I want one on my course as well? The answer was, of course, yes–but only if they are academically up to it. I also suggested an interview might be useful–sometimes these kids are even more naive than I am–they think about how nice it’ll be to wear skirts and makeup whenever they want–unaware that most female students don’t wear either much of the time.

Tom agreed, he’d set quite a high entry requirement of A and two Bs minimum. I said I’d have to get involved anyway, but would prefer for it not to be disclosed at this stage. He agreed. I got another half hour’s work done while he walked the dog, then I went and showered away some of the tiredness before I woke the kids up.

For a change I bathed the girls–Julie came to see what all the giggles were about, and helped me dry them before she went off and showered herself. I thought I’d keep an eye on her for the next few days as Stephanie had suggested. She was going to call by in a few days to see her again. I hope Julie appreciates the special treatment she’s getting.

I quite like Stephanie, she’s completely barking–as one expects of a psychiatrist, but I think I’d like to cultivate her as a friend. I’ll see where it takes us, but maybe a shopping trip or something would be a useful idea.

The girls came down for breakfast and Julie rounded up the boys and brought them down. You wouldn’t think she’d been abducted yesterday–if anything, she seems even more normal than usual.

She dried the girl’s hair while I made loads of toast and poured bowls of cereal. They all seemed to enjoy themselves. Danny cracked me up–“I think, I’m gonna grow my hair, Mummy, so Julie can style it for me.”

“Yeah, it would look nice with a strawberry blonde top knot,” she replied.

Billy thought that was hilarious, and they ended up punching each other on the arm until I intervened and threatened to bang their heads together. Once they all stopped giggling–boys and girls, the boys blushing as well, breakfast resumed.

After dropping the girls at school, I asked Julie if she was up to visiting a supermarket–she said she was as long as I didn’t lock her in the boot. I wasn’t sure how much of this was bravado and how much was how she really felt.

We did Tesco and I stayed with her the whole time. We did alright until we got to the checkouts and some bloke a couple of checkouts over looked a bit like her dad. She grabbed my arm and shivered with fear. I was on the verge of abandoning the shopping when it was our turn. Somehow we managed to get through the checkout–with the woman on the till asking if Julie was okay. I passed it off by saying she’d been in an accident yesterday and wasn’t over it yet–but my husband was away and I needed the shopping. Her hostility melted away and she hoped Julie was better soon.

Turned out the woman behind us had a friend who suffered from post traumatic stress thingy–and he’d been treated by some psychologist in Southampton. I explained we couldn’t go near Southampton because Julie had been traumatised by a hippopotamus, when she was a baby.

Julie began to smirk at this, which thankfully, the woman didn’t see.

“I thought they caught that one?”

“Ah, this was a pink one.”

“I thought they were grey?” she challenged.

“They are generally–but the pink ones are the most dangerous.”

“They are? I don’t believe you.”

“In our case they were–she nearly choked on it.”

“She nearly choked on it? Don’t you mean the hippo nearly choked on her?”

“No, I know what I mean–I am her mother after all.”

“You must have been young when you had her then–you look more like sisters.”

“I was ten when she was born.”

“You’re joking? Ten when she was born.”

“I was.”

“Now I know you’re lying.”

“I’m not actually, I’m ten years older than her.”

A small group of eavesdroppers collected round us and what had started as a joke became slightly threatening to Julie–especially as the man from the other checkout queue had come to listen to the entertainment.

“I have to go, I have a whole crocodile to cook,” I said and before she could say anything, I pushed the trolley and pulled Julie with me. “Come along granddaughter,” I said loudly.

Once back in the car–Julie howled with laughter, before bursting into tears and requiring a hug from me before we could go home.

At this rate, I’m only going to be able to shop in Asda or Sainsbury’s.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Shopping

Hi

I can't imagine her visiting Lidl or Netto - let's hope it doesn't get to that stage.

Karen

Wicked!

Cathy Cameron is wicked! And I suspect that not all the good people of Portsmouth share her sense of humour.

Briar

Briar

Woof!

"Barking mad" doesn't begin to cover the territory!

Barking

Barking [a London suburb] is sometimes cited as the origin of the phrase “barking mad,” meaning “insane” or “intensely mad.” This is attributed to the alleged existence of a medieval insane asylum attached to Barking Abbey. However, the phrase is not medieval, and first appeared only in the 20th century. A more likely derivation is from comparing an insane person to a mad dog.

Source: Wikipedia

There’s a similar discussion on Michael Quinion’s World Wide Words.

If you know someone who’s barking, you might be interested in a dog collar, formerly owned by the novelist Charles Dickens...

Psychotic Schizoid


Bike Archive

Dog collars

If you're looking for a crazy individual in a dog collar, then look no further than that eminent English cleric Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.

(a.k.a. Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland)

Barking

Puddintane's picture

This is corroborated by the existence of a parallel construction, "Howling mad," not to mention the fact that dogs (and wolves) are all prone to make incomprehensible sounds in suspicious circumstances, such as when they see the moon, which is a clear sign of lunacy.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

>> hippopotamus was recaptured

Puddintane's picture

Thank heavens! She who marks the sparrow's fall has saved the lowly hippopotamus.

The Hippopotamus, by T.S. Eliot

Similiter et omnes revereantur Diaconos, ut mandatum Jesu Christi; et Episcopum, ut Jesum Christum, existentem filium Patris; Presbyteros autem, ut concilium Dei et conjunctionem Apostolorum. Sine his Ecclesia non vocatur; de quibus suadeo vos sic habeo.
--- S. Ignatii Ad Trallianos.

And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans.

THE BROAD-BACKED hippopotamus
Rests on his belly in the mud;
Although he seems so firm to us
He is merely flesh and blood.

Flesh and blood is weak and frail,
Susceptible to nervous shock;
While the True Church can never fail
For it is based upon a rock.

The hippo’s feeble steps may err
In compassing material ends,
While the True Church need never stir
To gather in its dividends.

The ’potamus can never reach
The mango on the mango-tree;
But fruits of pomegranate and peach
Refresh the Church from over sea.

At mating time the hippo’s voice
Betrays inflexions hoarse and odd,
But every week we hear rejoice
The Church, at being one with God.

The hippopotamus’s day
Is passed in sleep; at night he hunts;
God works in a mysterious way—
The Church can sleep and feed at once.

I saw the ’potamus take wing
Ascending from the damp savannas,
And quiring angels round him sing
The praise of God, in loud hosannas.

Blood of the Lamb shall wash him clean
And him shall heavenly arms enfold,
Among the saints he shall be seen
Performing on a harp of gold.

He shall be washed as white as snow,
By all the martyr’d virgins kist,
While the True Church remains below
Wrapt in the old miasmal mist.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Is this...

Angharad's picture

...attributed to St Augustine(of Hippo)of Hippo?

Angharad

Angharad

Hippopotamine references…

…always make me think of Michael Flanders and Donald Swann’s wonderful song.

A bold hippopotamus was standing one day
On the banks of the cool Shalimar.
He gazed at the bottom as it peacefully lay
By the light of the evening star.
Away on the hilltop sat combing her hair,
His fair hippopotamine maid.
The hippopotamus was no ignoramus
And sang her this sweet serenade.

CHORUS

Mud, mud, glorious mud!
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.
So follow me, follow, down to the hollow,
And there let us wallow in glorious mud.

The fair hippopotamus he aimed to entice
From her seat on the hilltop above,
As she hadn't got a Ma to give her advice
Came tiptoeing down to her love.
Like thunder the forest re-echoed the sound
Of the song that they sang as they met.
His inamorata adjusted her garter
And lifted her voice in duet.

Mud, mud, glorious mud!
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.
So follow me, follow, down to the hollow,
And there let us wallow in glorious mud.

Now more hippopotami began to convene
On the banks of that river so wide.
I wonder now what am I to say of the scene
That ensued by the Shalimar side.
They dived all at once with an ear-splitting splosh,
Then rose to the surface again,
A regular army of hippopotami
All singing this haunting refrain.

(All together now——)

Mud, mud, glorious mud!
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.
So follow me, follow, down to the hollow,
And there let us wallow in glorious mud.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

You're probably thinking of his son...

Puddintane's picture

St Augustine([of Hippo]of Hippo)of Hippo, who was suspected of Hypocrisy, but later cleared of all charges, although he was cautioned before release, after being tortured, of course. Can't let that sort of opportunity slip by.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Flying hippos? Must be part of a flying circus

Likely are tethered in a hippodrome, much like blimps and rigid airships.

Cathy sounds perfectly sane to me.

John in Wauwatosa memember of St Looney up the Cream Bun and Jam.

John in Wauwatosa

Flying Circus?

There's only one flying circus I'm aware of...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rutX0I6NxU&NR=1

And perhaps just as recognisable as Sousa's Liberty Bell March, ALOTBSOL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ&NR=1

 
 
--Ben


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

The Red Baron's fighter

The Red Baron's fighter squadron was nicknamed by their enemies "The Flying Circus" (with due respect) and that's actually where the Monty Pyton troupe got the inspiration for their name.

Bike pt 909.

Cathy has a pedigree in barking madness, just like ALL of the Camreoons. :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

If Tesco can ban

customers who fancy a trip to their local supermarket when dressed only in their jim - jams ,What price them giving the order of the boot to some madwoman and her talk of pink Hippo's?

Of course Cathy could always order off the internet and save a lot of hassle......But i think secretly she probably enjoys all the verbal sparring!

Kirri

Wind up!

What a brilliant wind-up in Tesco :) Now, let's see what supermarkets are around in Portsmouth (how convenient that they all have "Store Finder" functions on their websites!)...

Morrisons - PO3 5UH (open until 8pm)
Tesco - PO1 1RS (open until midnight)

M&S Simply Food - nowhere near
Waitrose - PO5 2EJ (open until 8pm) <-- Go on, splash out occasionally :)
Asda - PO1 1SL (open until 10pm)
Co-op Food - lots of little ones, no big ones.

I won't bother with Aldi / Lidl / Netto :)

Meanwhile, it looks as though we've got a potential story arc coming up in late September, centred around the university (assuming Cathy actually finds time in her hectic schedule to resume the occasional course / mentoring there!)...

 
 
--Ben


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

That is a good one

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

If you don't get it you are among the don't understand binary... Love it

Poppykin

Surreality

This is getting surreal or is that virtually surreal cos it's on my computer.
It's not the check out that she needs to worry about it's being checked out.
Ah well, another day in the life of.
My gut feeling is that this is a bit of a filler chapter before the next crazy turn of events.
Nevertheless, I'm hanging in there. It's just too good and too wacky to miss.

Keep on wiring Cathy & I'll keep reading.

beverly XOXO.

To paraphrase an old rhyme

The hippo is a lonely bird,
It flits from bough to bough;
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
and whistles like a cow.

You think they're all barking down south? Well, I've got news for you; some of us in the North of England are also a few bricks short of a load.

Susie

Cook a crocodile...

I had a crocodile pie a few years ago in Hout Bay. The baker's wife disappeared later, leaving no trace. The locals thereafter shunned place a la Sweeny Todd.

A Diversion

No doubt Cathy's banter was to divert attention from her panicking charge. Very clever that.

Julie's going to suffer from PTSD though. I had a knife to my throat at one time by my brother over the stupidest thing. As well as in the boy's bathroom at my middle school. Put me off from going there the rest of the time I was at that school. Luckily a friend of mine who also happen to know the would be mugger came in and intervened. But the feeling of cold steel at your throat - two times - is not something one ever forgets.

*shiver*

Kim

Agreed

Somehow I doubt this is the last we will see the Mum and Dad from Hell. It is a mistake if Cathy tries to compare these folks to her parents. Bad as Cathy's parents were, these two are truly mad, and not the faux madness Cathy shows.

There is a really fun

There is a really fun children's Christmas song called "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" that perhaps all of Cathy's children can share with her. Jan

Be glad Cathy doesn't...

have to pay someone to shop for her, yet...

Interesting episode. Pink Hippos, huh... Now, I've seen "Pink Elephants on Parade", but that was in a movie. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

All Those Tall Tales

... at the end will have everyone thinking Cathy's raving mad, eh? Which of course is just going to reinforce what I'm told the British public already think of their Lords.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

See, I'm potty, Stella 's

See, I'm potty, Stella 's really potty, Cathy's potty, everybody's potty

Cefin