Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 906.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 906
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

We spent ages waiting for the police–the manager escorted Mrs Kemp away from me, before I ripped her limb from limb, to discover where her husband was holding Julie. She was still making all sorts of accusations against me for ‘turning her son into a girl’.

When the police did eventually deign to arrive, I was pleased to discover it was the two who’d previously been sent to the house. They took the situation on board very quickly, and Ma Kemp was hauled off to the nick double quick. I followed another copper to the Kemp’s house, as the old lady refused to tell the police where her husband was.

I’d got her all wrong; I’d assumed she was the little woman who fetched and carried for her hulk of a husband. It seems it was the other way round; she was the boss and he did her bidding.

No wonder they took so long to come, they were planning a kidnap–how stupid could I be? He’d only have to induce the teenager out to the car–‘got something for you’ or ‘a peace offering for your foster mother’, and she’d have gone like a lamb to the slaughter.

The police were pounding on the door of the house–once they had a mission, they sprang into action, so I couldn’t fault them there. There was no answer, but his car was there, so they weren’t far away.

While we’d chatted at the supermarket, Julie had described how she used to escape through the bathroom window, because it couldn’t be locked properly, and all you had to do was push it and it would open. She would then clamber up or down the soil pipe–the large pipe which carries away waste from the toilet and bath to the sewer. Others probably call it, a waste pipe.

The police wouldn’t let me near the house, and neighbours were evacuated from the adjacent properties. The door was opened with a battering ram–one of these modern ones–like a horizontal sledge hammer.

Officers poured into the house–then discovered a very nervous man, with his child and he had a very sharp kitchen knife at her throat. He was apparently standing on the landing away from any windows, and a marksman’s aim.

I walked briskly down the road, and started to count the number of houses. I had five garden walls to traverse. Fortunately, with all the excitement at the front of the houses, no one was looking out the back, so I scrambled over a variety of fences and walls before I got to the correct one.

I’d dressed down deliberately, to avoid upsetting the brains behind this mess–Ma Kemp, so I was reasonably dressed for scaling waste pipes–assuming it bore my weight–oh well, as they say in Ireland–‘if it doesn’t da ground will break me fall–so it will.’ It was patio slabs–wonderful.

My shoes were lace up ones without much heel, so I was able to walk up the wall, whilst holding the pipe with my hands–it was dirty and unpainted near the wall–but thank goodness, it wasn’t plastic or this wouldn’t work.

My cycling had suggested I need to lose a little weight, clambering up this pipe reinforced that point somewhat emphatically. I was very warm long before I got to the bathroom window and my arms and legs were shaking with effort. It’s many years since I climbed a tree and I wasn’t very good then–no upper body strength.

I suppose it took three or four very long minutes to ascend to the bathroom window, and holding on with my right arm, I pushed the window. It didn’t open–no, course it didn’t–shit!

I spotted where the catch was and pushed again, my right arm was now in danger of slipping off the pipe–nothing happened with the window. I held on to the pipe with both arms, and determined I’d have one more go before I went down again. Julie was obviously more nimble than I.

I really shoved at the window by the catch and it finally gave and opened about half a centimetre. Sweating profusely–or should that be glowing wet?–I managed to pull the window open and get a foot on the windowsill below it. I moved a couple of shampoo bottles–actually dropped them on the patio–then hauled myself into the window, being as quiet as I could. I stepped almost silently onto the carpeted floor and walked on tip toe to the door.

The door was open enough for me to see them standing about a yard away, facing the stairs. I now had the element of surprise. I admit, if I’d had a gun, I’d have emptied it into Bradley Kemp’s head to stop him stabbing his daughter.

I could hear her whimpering and his hissed threats–someone needed to do something or he’d kill her–he was so nervous, especially without the mastermind to tell him what to do.

I slipped on to the landing behind him and a board creaked under my weight. He spun round and the knife cut into Julie’s neck, drawing a little blood. “Don’t come any closer,” he hissed at me. Then after a moment, he said, “How did you get in?”

“Oh, Bradley, have you forgotten me so soon? If you remember, I’m an angel, we can fly, or in this case, walk through walls. I can save life–as I did with you, or I can take it? What’s it to be?”

“You’re lying! They said at the hospital they’d got my notes mixed up with someone else’s.”

“Bradley–you were dead when I saved you? You had a heart attack at the top of these stairs–you fell down the length of them–I raised you from the dead. Put down the knife and surrender the girl.”

“It’s a boy–despite what you’ve done to him–he’s still my son.”

“I agree, she’s your child, Bradley–so why do you want to hurt her?”

“It’s not her, it’s him–got it?”

“Mummy–help me?” whimpered Julie, the knife seemed tighter against her neck.

“She’s not your mother–where is she?”

“She’s safe, as long as you don’t hurt, Julie. If you do harm her, I’ll make sure you both suffer unimaginable pain. I’ll reverse the healing, Bradley, you’ll remember every stair you hit, while it smashed ribs and vertebrae, and then you’ll remember the pain in your chest. Do you remember that, Bradley? You couldn’t breathe, a tightness–I think it’s starting again, isn’t it. Let her go and put down the knife and I’ll stop the pain, Bradley.”

He was sweating and looking very pale–I had no power to call up a convenient heart attack, or even angina pain, but he had enough imagination to do so himself. He began to look ill.

“Let her go, Bradley, and I’ll save you again. I can do that–I am really an angel. Or I can destroy you and your wife, what’s it to be?”

He was wavering, and sweating even more–he was so scared he was wetting his pants. Just a little more pressure and I had him.

“Losing bodily control are you? It’s happening, Bradley, let Julie go, put the knife down and I’ll save you. I promise I will if you don’t harm her.”

“BOLLOCKS,” he screamed, pulled the knife across Julie’s throat and pushed her spurting body at me.

I screamed, caught her, ducked and kicked him once in the chest, he bounced off the wall into the arms of the coppers who’d been creeping closer and they wrestled him to the ground.

I laid Julie on the bathroom floor and tried to stop the blood flow from her throat–she was frothing as she tried to breathe. I pushed the edges of the wound together and threw in as much light as I could imagine–whilst weeping profusely.

I began to believe she would die–but as the paramedics arrived, she inhaled a deep breath and whimpered, “Mummy.”

Kemp was astonished as were the police–“If any of you ever breathe a word about this to anyone–you will pay dearly for it,” I snarled at them, “Remember what happened to Pharoah’s first born.” Why I said that, I have no idea–but they all gasped and nodded.

“Fuckin’ hell,” said a quiet voice at the back of the group.

“Shurrup–I don’t want my kids to die,” snapped his neighbour.

“Tell your wife unless she deals with the cancer, she has less than six months to live.” I said to Kemp as he shrank away from me in terror. “You could have made this so much easier–now, you’ll spend a long time in prison–I intend to press every charge in the book from dropping litter to high treason.”

I helped Julie to her feet, she was woozy from shock and temporary blood loss, we were both like extras from a slasher movie, covered in wet red stuff, which was going sticky as it began to dry.

The paramedics led us out to an ambulance. “Where’s all the blood from?”

“I think she had a nosebleed, or maybe Kemp did.”

“Must have been some bleed?”

“Oh it was.” I realised he had banged his face when the police arrested him and disarmed him. I hoped he had bashed his nose.

“This is like a major stabbing,” he continued, “neither of you are bleeding now are you?”

We both shook our heads, “No, but you know what blood is like, a little goes a long way–like milk when you spill it.” I was trying to distract him, it wasn’t working.

“You won’t die from spilt milk, madam/ Now let’s check you over quickly for wounds–I don’t like my nice clean ambulance swimming in red stuff.”

He quickly examined Julie–“You’re okay, better see your doctor though as soon as you can, and if you experience any symptoms of any sort, go to hospital. If necessary dial 999, okay?”

She nodded.

Then he checked me over–“What are all these grazes on your knuckles?”

“Oh, I must have rubbed against the wall on the way down the stairs.”

“Get them cleaned up and dressed or you’ll get an infection in them. Same goes for you, madam, as for your daughter. If you feel ill, get yourself to A&E.”

“I will, thank you? Can we go home now?”

He opened the ambulance door. Waiting outside was a high ranking copper who was not looking pleased. “I want a word with you, Lady Cameron.”

“Are you arresting me?” I challenged.

“I will if I have to.”

“How is your Méniá¨re’s disease?” I enquired.

“What? What games are you trying to play.”

“Don’t get excited, Chief Inspector, you’ll make yourself ill.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“Of course not, I would like to go home, shower and change my clothes.”

“I want those for forensics.”

“Why?”

“Someone’s throat was cut, wasn’t it?”

“It wasn’t mine, nor hers, you’ve taken the only other person into custody. I think he
had a nasty nose bleed, in the shadows, it can look quite deceptive.”

“You interfered in a police enquiry.”

“I didn’t stop your people doing anything.”

“You could have done.”

“So could the rest of the people in the street, but I don’t see them being asked awkward questions. Now I’m very tired, so is my daughter. You are very welcome to come to the house in an hour’s time, but first I need to wash–this is beginning to smell.”

They let us go providing they drove us home–a policeman drove my car home–no doubt after he checked it over for evidence–of what I don’t know–feathers from my wings, perhaps. As we walked to the police car, there were all sorts of mutterings and avoided eye contacts–I seemed to scare them.

In the shower, the amount of blood washing off me, was like a scene from Psycho, my clothes were bagged up by the police–I didn’t want them anymore anyway, and I suspect Julie felt the same.

Then each of us dressed in bathrobes, sat and waited for the heavy mob to arrive, presumably rubber coshes and thumbscrews aren’t allowed on teenagers any longer?

Oh poo, I’m twenty six.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can really see the faces

I can really see the faces on the surrounding crowd of people when Cathy made her statement of " taking first borns" as what happened with Pharoah. I suppose the police official was the one from the last big incident involving Cathy. By the time all of this is ended, she will indeed be considered an angel. Jan

Ménière's disease

For anyone else who is ignorant about this affliction:

Ménière's disease is a disorder of the inner ear that can affect hearing and balance to a varying degree. It is characterized by episodes of dizziness and tinnitus and progressive hearing loss, usually in one ear. It is caused by lymphatic channel dilation, affecting the drainage of endolymph. It is named after the French physician Prosper Ménière, who first reported that vertigo was caused by inner ear disorders in an article published in 1861. The condition affects people differently; it can range in intensity from being a mild annoyance to a chronic, lifelong disability.

Source: Wikipedia

Let's hope that Cathy is able to cure the good Chief Inspector.

Physical Symptoms

She got Julie back!

That's all that matters!

Cathy and Julie are safe. How it was done is of no consequence to Cathy. She does what she does and hopefully bad stuff gets put right.

Praise be.

The blue light was probably a reflection from the emrgency services through the landing window.

Nice one Angharad,
Keep writing.

Bev XOXO

Beverly Taff.
This is wierd. I haven't changed my password but the site wont dispayl all my thingies at the side like 'Submit Story'!

I really was starting to believe that

Cathy could cause a heart attack. Glad she saved Julie but she also saved Mr Kemp from an attempted murder charge (or whatever it is in the UK). Hoping the kidnapping and threat will be enough to keep him out of Julie's life for a while. Knowing this story, that isn't likely is it. Bad guys just keep popping up no matter how often you smash them down, kind of like the gopher heads in that arcade game.

Cathy's wyrding ways

She may well develope "the voice", I thought she was going to tell Kemp that she had her hand around his heart and was beginning to squeeze it, he'd have been snafu'd for sure :)

Invisible Lions

I was beginning to wonder if Cathy was going to call upon some invisible lions or lioneses for assistance.

What loyal brit would dare interfere with Cathy is she was part of the "Three Lions".

Michelle B

So thats settled

Julie's future then... What with a crazy mother and a father whose brain cell seems to have taken the day off, There's not much chance of her going anywhere other than back to Chez Cameron... Still i guess there could be worse fates in life!

Kirri

Yeah

.. Wish I could have been there when I was 11. Unfortunately my dratted puberty started about that time. Damn it!

Kim

The power of suggestion

What a brilliant tactic - just dropping suggestions and hints that she can unheal brings everyone into line. Not to mention the effects on Bradley. Sadly this episode provides further evidence that even after physical healing from Cathy, leopards really can't change their spots.

While child abduction is technically illegal, from the little I've managed to gather in web research on what happens if the child remains in the UK (if taken outside, it apparently only becomes a criminal offence if they're away for more than 28 days), it's a case of having to fight through the courts to regain custody. The police probably only acted this quickly because there were immediate child protection concerns. Given that Julie has been returned to Cathy with few injuries, it's likely Bradley will get away with a caution.

However, with the backing of Henry's legal team, I can imagine a court restraining order being placed on the Kemps, to prevent them trying to contact Julie again - probably coupled with an order preventing them from coming within a certain distance of Tom's house. Oh, and the hair salon where she's about to start work experience.

 
 
--Ben


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I think it may be a bit beyond merely

the power of suggestion. I think at that moment she was starting to channel the very Word itself. My theory is that the Word is what is spoken to make something concrete. When she threatened the witnesses, a long with the obvious power she showed in healing Julie, she also projected the Word made voice. Remember the blue light is using her as its instrument and it does not suit its purposes to have her be outed so soon I think.

Anyway, I am as always amazed at Angharad's weaving of emotion, action and a spirited injection of otherworldliness into her stories.

Kim

ooops and I just realized

Julie got the miracle healing she wanted her parents to see. Mr Kemp is more receptive and he is the one to witness it and not his pathetic wife, so there is hope yet.

Kim

unlawful imprisonment?

Angharad's picture

isn't specifically for adults, also detained against one's will, assault with a deadly weapon, grievous bodily harm, obstructing police, possession of an offensive weapon with intent, threatening behaviour, attempted murder. enough?

Angharad

Angharad

"You think I'm an angel? ...

... I guess I might as well start playing the part."

(At least that's what I imagine Cathy thinking at this point.)

Interesting arc, I'll be ready to see how it continues tomorrow.

Thanks for continuing this brilliant saga.

Bike pt 906.

Now the question is will the media get a hold of this incident and find their angel in disguise?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Shed blood at the hands of relatives.

At first I did not think it credible that a Father could murder his own son. But then I thought of all the Honor Killings that some Muslims perpetrate. I also thought of my own Son who has gone off the deep end with his very conservative Christianity. My grand daughter says he is just plain nuts now. I suppose he could easily kill me.

This sort of thing is the nightmare of the Police.

Khadijah

Oh, to be....

26 again... But then, at 26, I didn't have any kids yet. *sighs... Come to think of it, at 26, I thought I was crazy. I mean how many blokes do you know that want to have babies (literally) or breasts, and... well you get the picture. Maybe 26 wasn't so good an age, after all.

Anyways... Cathy's getting a bit high handed. Wonder when someone/something'll feel the need to "swat" her down. *sighs*

I still wonder how this bit'll work out. So far you've managed to surprise me each time. Guess that's cause you're trickier than I am. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

I really am still hooked on

I really am still hooked on the adventures of bike. I also like the ties to snafu. Keep up the wonderful work

Strange

This episode was a little strange, well, stranger than most.

I wonder what Dad will think when he has time to himself.

I suspect Mom is going to die. It is her choice.

See the fear of Dog works every time

The Chief Inspector can take his notebook and shove it sideways up his nose
If it was here, Cathy would never need to use her aura.

Cefin