Discovery

Printer-friendly version

D I S C O V E R Y
by Barbara Lynn Terry

Chapter I - Michael.

I had gotten up late this Saturday morning, and my mother was already at work. I went in the bathroom and took a shower. I shampooed my hair twice and conditioned it twice. After it was dry, I went in my room, and got out a nice powder blue bra and panty set, my powder blue half slip and dress, got a pair of nylons and my black leather slingbacks. I put on my lingerie, and sat down to do my makeup. As I was working on my eyes, the memory of how I got this far came back to me.

I was born Michael Edward Singleton, on July 17 in Oxford, Connecticut. I have large hazel, doe eyes, long lovely lashes, and my voice his high; in the alto range. Ever since I can remember, I had been drawn to feminine things, like clothes, dolls, makeup, long hair swinging in a pony tail. Whenever my eyes would blink, it would be like I was batting them at some guy, but it was the involuntary blink we all have. My face is oval, and I actually have no protruding adams apple. I have hair on my legs, underarms, and pubic area. I keep my legs shaved as well as my underarms and make sure my pubic area is well trimmed. I do all of this when my mother is at work. I have no other body hair except on my head. I am 15 years old.

My mother, Janice Singleton, is 35 years old, and doesn't look a day over 16, and has wonderful, long auburn hair. Her eyes are a piercing sea green, and she has that commanding tone in her otherwise sing song voice. Her laughter and sense of humor are contagious and should be classified as a cure for what ails a person. I never knew my father, and she doesn't talk about him.

My mother does the laundry once a week on Sunday afternoons when we get home from church. Sometimes I will beat her to it, and have it done before she gets home on Saturday evening. I help her with the housework as much as I can, and I even do the food shopping more than she does.

One day, while I was cleaning the house up, I discovered a list she had on her dresser. It was a list of personal items she needed from Walgreens pharmacy. I decided that maybe she would like it if I went and got these things for her. She kept a small box where she put cash at hand for emergencies, in one of the kitchen cupboards.

I then went in my room, and took out my hidden wardrobe of female clothes. I took out a plaid tartan skirt, and nice semi see through blouse (you could see the bra straps), a white half slip, a pair of white panties, a pair of nylons, and a pair of white leather pumps with an ankle strap. I put on the lingerie and sat down to put on what little makeup I had. That was only eye liner, mascara, and a light cream colored lipstick. When I was finished, I put on the blouse, and then stepped in to the skirt. I made sure the blouse was tucked in just enough to show my faux bosom, and then sat down to put on my nylons. What was that? Mother? Oh! She wouldn't be home for another seven hours at least. I had plenty of time to get the things mother needed from the pharmacy. After my nylons were on, I stepped in to the pumps, made sure the ankle strap was fastened just so, and I looked at myself in the mirror. Hmmm, my hair needed to be put in a pony tail. After doing up my hair, I looked at myself again, this way and that way to make sure everything was straight. Satisfied with my appearance, I went in the kitchen, and got out the money I thought I would need to get all of the items on mom's list.

This is the second week of summer vacation from school, so I pretty much had the day to myself. I went back to my room, and got out my hidden wardrobe, and took out a nice white purse. I then made sure I had my house key, and I went to the pharmacy. I didn't have to do the guy thing looking around for feminine things, because I knew right where they were.

I was greeted by the cashier by the door as I walked in. I smiled and headed right for the feminine hygiene aisle. Mom needed a thing of Always pads, and panty liners. I put them in the basket I was carrying. Next she needed a pair of smoke colored nylons, so I put those in the basket. Then there was toothpaste, mouth wash, shampoo, conditioner, and concealer, face powder, body powder, and eye makeup. The only thing not on the list, I think, was the kitchen sink. I giggled to myself at that thought.

After I had everything, I went over to the cosmetic counter to pay for it. The lady smiled at me, and started ringing everything up.

"Are these for you, dear?"

"No, for my mother. She works during the day, so I get the things she needs."

"You are a wonderful daughter to do that for her."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"My name is Brenda," she said pointing to her name tag. "It is refreshing to see a young girl take responsibility these days. That will be thirty five dollars and eighty three cents." I handed her two twenty dollar bills, and she gave me my change. "Have a good day, young lady." I said the same to you, and left to go home.

When I got home, I put the receipt and the change in the cash at hand box, so mother would know where the money went. The receipts are itemized, so she will know I got those things for her. I then went to her room, and set the bag on her bed.

I was hungry, and I didn't have breakfast, so I went to the kitchen and made myself a bowl of Cheerios, poured a glass of milk, and orange juice, and sat down to eat. After I was finished I washed my dishes, and set them in the dish rack. I would put them away later. Then I took the laundry from the hamper, and put a load in the washer. I set the cycle for wash and wear, and set the timer for thirty five minutes. I went up stairs and looked to see if anything else needed to be done. No, everything looks fine. I left the basement door open so I could hear the timer on the washer.

I sat down and turned on the television. There were syndicated reruns on the TVLand channel. I watched an I love Lucy marathon, and after the first program, I heard the washer go "ding". I went downstairs, and took the clothes and put them in the dryer. I put in three "spring" scent dryer sheets, and set it to dry and fluff. This cycle makes the clothes softer to wear. I went back up to watch more of I Love Lucy. The dryer would take one hour to finish. I Love Lucy was so funny, I couldn't help but hold my sides from laughing so hard. After the hour was over, I went down and checked the clothes. There were still some that weren't dry all the way, but they would be if I put them near the heater. After the dry clothes were folded and put away, I went back to watch more of I Love Lucy.

My mother works all day to make sure we have a home, even if it is an apartment, food on the table, and clothes to wear. Even an allowance. That is how I got my hidden wardrobe. She even gives me money for things at school. Like she gave me thirty five dollars for "gym" supplies, not knowing that I don't have boy's gym, and the money was for a gown pattern in home ec. Home economics had three different classes, with three different teachers. I was very good at all three, even though in child care, I had to fake it before I got the melody. After a few days of watching the girls practice with the dolls, I was asked to give it a try. I succeeded on my first try. I had to change the "baby", feed her, burp her, and put her down for a nap. This doll's name by the way is Darla. By the time school was out for the summer, I knew how to cook very well, raise a baby, and sew. The gown I made is right in my closet. I was actually allowed to wear it to the homecoming dance. That is what we made our dresses and gowns for. My mother doesn't go in my closet or my dresser. When she does the laundry, she leaves it on my bed for me to put away.

Tonight was a very special night for me. Mother also worked as a cocktail waitress at a German restaurant on Friday and Saturday nights. She would come home from the beauty parlor, and change in to her waitress uniform, and wouldn't be home until about three in the morning. She had Sundays off. So what I had planned for tonight was not only special, but I had enough time to enjoy the evening. But that was for later after mom went to the restaurant. For now though, I was just relaxing after having cleaned the house and doing the laundry. Then I remembered my breakfast dishes, and went and put them away. I looked over the kitchen one more time, and saw that everything was in order.

Chapter II - Mother.

The day went slow, because after everything was done, there was basically nothing to do. Maybe watch television, but that gets boring; maybe play on the computer, but I didn't like doing that except in an RPG virtual world called Second Life. I could read a book, but that makes me tired, and dressed as I was I didn't want to take the chance of accidentally falling asleep, and being seen by mother. I just happened to glance at the clock, and I needed to change back to Michael. I went to my room, and got out of my feminine clothes, and went to take a bath, so I could wash all this makeup off, and kind of mask the scent of the perfume with Irish Spring.

After I had dried off, I went and got dressed in my boy briefs, jeans and T-shirt. I threw on a pair of socks, and my runners. I went back downstairs, just in time to see mom come through the door. She stopped and sniffed the air.

"I smell room deodorizer, and I see the living room is clean. What did you do all day long, honey?"

"I just cleaned the house, did the laundry, folded the dry clothes and them away, and the damp clothes I hung by the heater. They're still a little damp yet, mom."

"Well, you have been busy...haven't you?"

"Yes mom. I found a list on your dresser of some personal items you needed from Walgreens. I took some money out of the cash at hand box, and the list and went and got those things for you. They're on your bed. The receipt and the change are in the cash at hand box."

"Well, my son is 15 years old, and spends his Saturday doing house chores. What will happen next?" I wanted to tell her, but this wasn't the right time. I wanted to see how tonight went. "I don't have to be at the restaurant until six, so I have time to make dinner, and sit down with you for a change. Honey, the house looks and smells great. Thank you for getting the things on my list for me."

"It was no problem, mom. I mean, you come home from one job, and change in to your uniform for another , and off you go. I can at least do things for my mother." She got up and gave me a really nice hug. Now this made all the work I did worth it.

"Oh! By the way. I got a call from the sewing teacher at the school, just before school let out. I was meaning to tell you this. She must have had the wrong number because she congratulated me on having a very talented daughter who could sew better than she could. Well, anyway, I know you are my son...right?"

"Yes mom, I am your so..so..son."

"Why were you just stuttering?"

"Mom, there are a few things I need to talk to you about, but not right now though."

"Okay, well, when you're ready. By the way, it seemed to me that I never saw your gym clothes. Did you wash them?"

"No mother. But that is one of the things we need to talk about. There are some things that have been inside of me for a very long time, and I have to talk to you about them. But there are a few things I have to do first."

"Okay, sweetie, when you're ready. So what else did you do today?"

"I watched part of an I Love Lucy marathon, and then took my shower, and got dressed." Okay, so I didn't tell her I took two showers and got dressed twice.

"I thought I smelled Irish Spring. But there's another scent too, like the lingering scent of a girl's perfume. Oh well, it could be mine, I suppose. Anyway, I should get changed and get dinner going. How about BLTs?"

"With French fries?"

"Yes dear, with French fries." Of course we just didn't have BLTs and French fries though, we also had either cole slaw or cottage cheese too. I had milk, while mom had her coffee.

I got out a package of bacon, the lettuce, tomatoes, and the bread for toasting. I shredded the lettuce, while mom started the bacon, and cut two tomatoes. I put four slices of bread in the toaster, and when it popped up, the first batch of bacon was done. I got out the mayonnaise for mom, and the Miracle Whip for me. I spread two pieces of toast with Mayonnaise, and set them on a saucer so mom could make her sandwich. I made my first sandwich, and then put two more slices in the toaster. Mom only had one sandwich but asked me to put two more slices in the toaster. Mom is having two BLTs! This was a first. After the toast popped up again, the second batch of bacon was done. We made our sandwiches, and talked while we ate.

"Michael, does what you have to talk to me about, have anything to do with the lingering scent of perfume?"

"Part of it, mom."

"Are you having a girl over while I am at work?"

"Don't tell me that you're wearing perfume, now."

"Okay, I won't. But at any rate though, what I need to talk to you about has something to do with that, partly."

"Well, okay I guess. I can wait, and when you're ready, we will talk...okay?"

"Okay, mom."

"Oh! I need to go, but the bus will make me late, so I have to call a cab." She called the cab, and waited about ten minutes, before the driver honked his horn. She gave me a kiss on the cheek and a hug, then left.

I watched out of the window, and saw her get in the cab, and the cab left. I needed to be ready by eight for my date with Jerry.

Chapter III - Michael introduces Michelle.

I went to my room, and got out my hidden wardrobe, again. I took out my lavender bra and panty set, my lavender half slip, my lavender dress, nylons, and my black pumps with a two inch heel. I went in the bathroom, and ran my bath. I put in lavender bath crystals and let the scent fill the room. I brushed my teeth, and when I was finished, the tub was filled. Oh! Okay. I know what you're thinking. I already took two showers, so why am I taking a scented bath? Because I have a date, that's why. After letting the scent soak in to my skin, I got out of the tub, and dried off. I went to my room to get dressed. I sat there in my lingerie putting my makeup on. I put on violet eye shadow, violet eye liner, brushed on a dual foundation/powder on my face, and put on black mascara. After that, I got in to my dress, and started zipping it up.

"Here sweetie, let me help you."

I just stood there and let her zip my dress and hook the clasp at the top of the zipper. I turned around, and smiled at her.

"Thanks, mom," I said, giving her a hug.

I went to my bureau mirror, and checked my makeup. After making sure everything was in order and my clothes were straight, I picked up my purse from the bed and told mom I would be back just before curfew.

"And just where do you think you are going, young lady, all dressed up to kill?"

"I have a date with Jerry mom. He's taking me to dinner, and then a movie. I will be home by ten, maybe ten thirty. I gave her another hug. "Mom, I love you, and I wanted to talk to you about this, before you found out. Are you angry?"

"No, not really. I knew there was something going on when I smelled the perfume. But I never even thought about this. I thought maybe you might have a girlfriend here while I was at work. But honey, you have always been slight, and looked very feminine and your voice is naturally high. You take after me, and that is a good thing. But sweetie, I will have to have you see a therapist though. Don't worry, I will make sure it is somebody who has experience in this type of lifestyle."

"Mom, this isn't a lifestyle to me. It is just the way I live my life."

"Well sweetie, you do look pretty, and I do like Jerry a lot. Let me ask you though. Have you and Jerry ever did anything sexual?"

"No mother. We're just going steady right now, and we talk a lot. That is the reason he is taking me to dinner. So we can talk. Mom, my name is Michelle. Jerry just calls me 'Chelle. We have kissed though, and I like the feeling I get when he holds me. When we're at the movies and I lay my head on his shoulder, he doesn't just put his arm around me, but he holds me with a firm hand. I feel so protected when I am with him. So, can I go out with Jerry tonight, mother?"

She smiled her mommy smile, and then she said something I really wasn't prepared for. "My little girl isn't so little, anymore. She's all grown up. Honey, have Jerry come over on Sunday, and we can talk. Okay?"

"Okay, mom, and thanks." I gave her a hug, and went out to meet Jerry, who was waiting by the curb.

That was a month ago. I finished with my makeup, brushed on a little dual foundation/powder, got my mascara on my lashes, got my powder blue dress on, put my nylons on, and stepped in to my slingbacks. This was going to be a wonderful day because mom was taking me shopping as soon as she got back from work. Life is so beautiful.

up
40 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Surprisimgly (or not) enough

This wonderful story would work well even as a standalone. Without elaborating on the different questions and issues in the story, it manages to convey the main idea superbly.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Sweet Story

Dear Barbara,

well, apart from a rather too "fast forward" jump at the end, this seems to be a pretty well written, kind, sweet story, that I hope will continue. There remains a lot needing to be explained, like how Michael managed to attend at least some classes at school as Michelle. I am intrigued and look forward to reading just how she did it!

Briar

Briar

Discovery

Reminds me of stories by Janet Stickney. You have penned a great short story that could be added to, if you ever want to continue.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine