Tears

Printer-friendly version

Not every tear is one of sadness and despair. For each one cried in sorrow, the ones that fall in happiness are all that much more precious.

Tears
By
Grover

Silently, Irene passed a tissue to her crying friend. She’d had one of her ‘feelings’ that more than a few would be needed today and made certain her purse was well supplied.

Although Cathilynn often teased her about being ready for anything, Irene did her best to stay prepared. She guessed you could take the girl out the Army, but not take the Army out of girl. Simply too many years spent training to stay ready for anything. Even that was easier than trying to take the girl out the boy.

Irene found out the hard way that, no matter how many hills she climbed, rivers she crossed, and regardless of the number of times she put her life at risk, the girl was here to stay. Strangely, now that once she accepted that simple truth, her intuition, if you wanted to call it that, was sharper and more accurate than ever. Maybe it was all because she cared and trusted herself now that she’d given up pretending to be someone she never was to begin with.

Smoothly, she placed a tissue in Sandra’s hand, as the weeping woman nodded gratefully. Irene wiped her own eyes, thankful she’d worn her waterproof mascara today. All of their eyes were riveted on the scene taking place in front of them.

“Michelle Richmond,” announced the speaker.

Tears poured like a waterfall from all of them seated together.

A tall, slender, smiling girl stepped forward to receive her diploma.

Cathy held onto her hand so tight Irene began to worry about circulation. She leaned over, whispering as ‘their’ girl proudly descended the stage, “This is what makes it all worth it!”

Irene could only nod. Two years ago Michelle came to them, a dropout with nothing but the clothes on her back. It took two years of ups and downs, but she’d made it up there onto that stage. And this was only the beginning because Michelle was already accepted to begin her fall term at State U. A success that’d earned a big party for the new graduate when they all got back to their Home.

A Home for them all that a hard headed, sometimes crabby, old woman named Cathilynn had built almost with her own bare hands. It seemed, at times, that the whole world was filled with holier than thou, opinionated bigots that fought them for every girl and boy they managed to pull out of some hopeless situation. Cathy often complained that it would be easier wrestling alligators than to change the minds of some of the (insert colorful metaphor) she had to deal with. Neither one had to mention that for each one they saved that another was forever lost; another candle in the Home’s garden on the Day Remembrance.

Finding her voice, Irene whispered back. “You ready to jump back in the water with the alligators?

Sobbing in her tissue, her eyes shining, Cathy grinned, “You damn right I am. Let‘s go Home!”

The End
up
38 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Short....

Andrea Lena's picture

....and definitely sweet. Thank you for a nice, hopeful visit to a place of welcome and promise.


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Short and sweet.

Just the kind of story you seem to excel at, Grover. I thank you from my heart for your commitment to The Home That Love Built.

Just a couple of things though.

CRABBY!? OLD!? Moi?

Why I oughta....

Seriously, thanks, Grover.

All my love and hopes,
Cathilynn

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

I want to say something

about this wonderful short, but I realize that it's not necessary.

Thank you for reminding us that tears are for joy too.

Hugs
Carla Ann

kinda makes it all worthwhile

laika's picture

...don't it? Thanks Grover, after the heartbreak of poor Sara's tale I needed this one.
A wonderful body of powerful & profound stories is growing around Cathilynn's
Home That Love Built, the tragedies and the triumphs.
~~~hugs, Laika

TEARS

ALISON

Thank you Grover,for a beautiful little essay of
hope and joy.Catherine Linda's great story(that had
to be told)kept me in tears most of the day,but
they were tears of sorrow.Your story has started a
new day for me and for that I thank you.God bless
and keep you.

ALISON

indeed

a group of brave souls indeed. May their courage inspire us all to do what we can for ourselves, for each other, and for all those who struggle with gender.

DogSig.png