Short Chapters: 23. The Playboy of the Western World

Printer-friendly version

In my head I heard Mrs. Legno's voice: "The day after Halloween you're just going to put your pants back on and go play football?"

and my reply: Not exactly, but something like that.

Short Chapters by Kaleigh Way

 

23. The Playboy of the Western World

 

The next day at school was one embarrassment after another.

To start with, I arrived in homeroom as the last bell was ringing. Another few moments, and I'd be late. Then, Mrs. Pearl asked me for my "slip."

"My what?" I asked in disbelief. In my sleepy brain I saw an image of Mrs. Jameson handing me a slip to wear under my dress last Sunday.

"Your slip, Mr. Samson, your slip," she repeated.

I still didn't get it. Puzzled and cautious I said, "I don't know what you're getting at, Mrs. Pearl."

"What I'm getting at?" she repeated, her eyebrows rising above her glasses. She shook her head in disapproval. "I *know* where you were on Friday." There were a few snickers from my classmates. "But where were you yesterday?"

"I... uh... uh..." I stammered, unsure what my parents had told the school about my absence.

"You uh uh," she repeated. "Go to the office, Mr. Samson, and see if you can explain yourself better. AND bring me back the excuse slip."

 


 

That pretty much set the theme for the day. I was in a fog from lack of sleep. Plus, I felt as if I'd been gone a month, not a long weekend. So much had happened!

The teachers looked at me in a bad way. They knew I'd been suspended on Friday, and they knew why. A few of them gave me a little warning about "going down a bad road" and things like that. The girls looked at me as if I was a creep. A lot of the boys, including many I didn't know, treated me as if I were some kind of hero.

As I walked through the halls between classes, I'd get dirty looks and pats on the back. Playful punches and judgmental disdain.

Kristie really milked it for all the attention she could get. Every time I glanced at her, even by accident, she toss her head with a scornful hmmph! She'd also gathered a group of girls around her, girls I didn't know, who eyed me malevolently. I got the definite message that if I came anywhere near Kristie, they would claw me to pieces.

Diana, on the other hand, was obviously as embarrassed as I was. Several times, our eyes locked, then dropped and we blushed together. I wanted to talk to her, to apologize, to make some kind of positive contact, but it wasn't going to be possible today. At least not at school.

When lunch time arrived, I sat at an empty table. I didn't want to put anyone on the spot.

Lou — my best friend, Lou — soon dropped into the chair opposite mine, and said, "You missed a great party, man!" He popped a french fry into his mouth and chewing said, "I hope it was worth it for you."

"Yeah, it was fun," I said, and sighed heavily.

"Doesn't sound like it. I mean, spare me the details, but are you okay?"

"Oh, it isn't Halloween," I replied. "It's my grandfather..." my voice trailed off, so I cleared my throat and started again. "He died this morning." Tears wanted to come, but I drew them back inside.

"Wow, sorry, man!" Lou said. "That really sucks! Was he in the hospital?"

"Yeah, he went in over the weekend. I got to go see grandpa with my Uncle Mickey."

He stopped, considering something. "Last night... when my mother went out..." then he stopped himself. "Never mind, I don't want to know."

"She came to pick me up at the hospital," I said. "She saw my Uncle Mickey. Did you know they used to date?"

"Whoa," Lou said. "Chapters, please. Don't start with the revelations and stuff. Really, I don't want to know."

"Okay," I said, and poked my sandwich with my finger. I couldn't decide whether I was hungry.

From the corner of my eye I saw a girl approach the other side of the table. Dark gray skirt, dark green top, medium brown hair. She rested her hand on Lou's shoulder. I liked her face.

"Hey, babe," she said to Lou. He smiled up at her.

"Chapters, this is my girlfriend Serena," he said. "Serena, Chapters."

"Ahhh," she said knowingly, and she nodded her head. "I've heard about you. You're the playboy of the western world, aren't you?" And she laughed a warm, throaty laugh.

I blushed deeply.

"Ah, no," she corrected herself. "Playboys don't blush. That's good."

I tried to smile at her, but felt a little tongue-tied.

"Nice to meet you, Chapters," she said. "See ya around. I'm gonna get some lunch, Lou. See ya after school!"

After she left, I told him, "She seems nice."

"Yeah," he said, smiling.

"You look like a dog," I told him, laughing.

"Yeah? Wait till you and Diana hook up," he retorted. "Then you'll look like a dog, too."

 


 

That night I was home alone. Mom and Dad were busy, and I was sick at heart. After I finished my homework there was nothing on TV, so I got a box, went to my room, and packed up all my clean Juliette clothes. The dirty ones and the costumes I put in the laundry.

Into the box went the Clarkina glasses, all my girly shoes and sneakers... Madison's clothes in their little plastic bag... and then...

I hesitated on dropping her into the box. It felt a little like a funeral. I thought about keeping her in my room, but it would be like the one red thread hanging out that could pull the whole story behind it, so in she went.

After folding the top closed, I put the box in Mom's sewing room. Goodbye, Juliette.

In my head I heard Mrs. Legno's voice: "The day after Halloween you're just going to put your pants back on and go play football?" and my reply: Not exactly, but something like that.

Was I going to miss Juliette? I don't know. I really did like some of those clothes... the cloth, the colors, the patterns. I don't know if a guy can get away with some of those things. But being a girl? No. It was fun being with Miranda, but all the rest of it? No. It was all just an extension of Halloween.

There was only one loose end to tie up, and that was Auralee.

I knew I'd see her at the funeral. How would she behave? What could she do that she didn't already do to me? She was a bully. She was mean. Been there, done that. Was she going to mock me about wearing a dress? So what. She was always mocking me already.

Was there some way I could finally put my foot down? Make her stop? Probably not.

In the end, the whole Auralee thing was anticlimactic. She was all broken up at Grandpa's funeral. All she did was cry. I've never seen anyone cry so hard. Even afterward, when we had a little reception at the Sons of Hibernia Hall, she just sat in a chair and cried.

That was it for Auralee.
 

Miranda told her mother that she'd figured out I was Victor, and came for a visit the week after the funeral. We played Scrabble and Clue, talked about things... but at the end of the day she told me, "Victor, you're a nice guy, but I prefer Juliette." And that was that.

 


 

So, done. All done. Juliette was in a box in my attic. I started walking home from school with Diana, and my mother was both relieved and alarmed when she caught the two of us making out in my living room one day.

I was back to being Victor, nothing but Victor, and glad to be me.

But of course there was a little postscript.

A letter arrived for me. In a clumsy, childish handwriting, it was addressed to "Juliette Samson." The return address was illegible.

I opened it and found a note from, of all people, Robert Murdoch. This is what it said:
 

Dear Juliette,

Please read this letter and don't be mad. I know I been a pest to you. You were always nice to me.

Miranda told me what you said about Mrs. Rosenstern. She got in big trouble and now she teaches the other fifth grade. My father went to school and yelled at her. We have Mrs. Lucas now. She is really nice.

I owe it all to you. I always knew you were an angel. I hope we can be friends.

Robert

 

"Oh, jeez," I said. The poor kid!

I fumbled with the letter for a bit, and read it two more times.

Then I went into the attic and slipped it into the Juliette box, for safekeeping.

 

[ The End ]

 

© 2009, 2010 by Kaleigh Way

[OTHER STORIES]

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A surprisingly sad ending

Especially for a story that had so much comedy during the main body of it. Chapters choosing to stay a boy was obvious, but the loss of the friendship between him and Miranda was a letdown, if understandable.

It was good to see the rest of this story. If you ever choose to continue it, there are plenty of opportunities around for more stories, even much later in Chapters' life. For now, though, I'm assuming you're going to be focusing on Marcie more, and that's a tale I am truly anxious to see continued.

Melanie E.

Hi, Melanie!

Yeah, more Marcie on the way. First I have to finish my other incomplete: Wish I'd Stayed In Bed. Then it's back to Marcie. I've had THAT story ready to go for a while now.

Thank You for Short Chapters

I really appreciate that you finished this story. I read your blog about your frustrations with the story. I'm guessing that I added to those frustrations with several requests for more chapters. I'm sorry for being impatient. Your work flows so well and seems so unforced that it's hard to imagine (as a non writer) you having difficulties on one story while you're spinning out chapters on other stories.

I look forward to future stories from you, and hope that you are able to spend more time writing again.

no no no!

You didn't add to my frustrations at all. Honestly. Don't hold back!

Short Chapters: 23

What would his friends think if they knew what he went through? And why? And Are there anymore misadventures for Short?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nice to see you back.

Victor sounded a bit sad about thw whole thing and it was a very sad time for many of the loved ones around him. At his age, many adults seem so grumpy and commanding. If the kid isn't T then the last thing that should happen is forcing it.

Glad to see you back. :) I hope that your situation has improved.

Ma Salaama

Khadijah Gwen

I liked the ending.

If for no other reason than that it neatly rounded off the inevitable conclusion to what was a comedy of errors. Whilst it was slightly sad that Miranda decided she preferred Juliette over Victor that, too, was inevitable because 10 year old girls, no matter how bright and intelligent, don't hang out with 14 year old boys. Of course the age difference will wither with time and who knows what will happen when she is 20 and Victor 24? The seeds planted in that memorable Boston Hallowe'en may yet bear fruit later and Victor will fish Juliette out of that future metaphorical box to live again as a more grown up girl and have fun with her friend, Miranda.

However, the bit I really liked because it brought everything to a neat finish was the note from young Robert. Without Victor's little deception Robert's future could have been much, much worse. Thanks, Kaleigh.

Robi

A little sad about the ending

Since I really liked Miranda. But as Robyn said, it's understandable given the age difference and distance. The ending felt a littel rushed to me and I guess that's what had to happen here. Thanks for finishing it off.

Thank you...

for bringing the story to an end. I read your blog before this, and can see the forced ending. I look forward to your other stories resuming in due time.

Thanks for finishing this story, Kaleigh.

Angharad's picture

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although the rapid end, while understandable, seemed a little hasty.

As always I look forward to reading more of your stories, when you have time to post them.

best wishes,

Angharad

Angharad

Thanks

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Thanks for finally finishing. I have a real problem with serial stories. I'm an impatient reader and always want the next chapter before it's ready.

The story went well. I'm a bit surprised that Victor didn't spend some time thinking about whether or not he'd ever be Juliette again. I expected some nostalgia and wistful thinking on the subject before deciding to pack it all away, but simply putting it in the attic, rather than sending it off to the Goodwill or some other charity, does kind of leave the door open.

Hugs
Patricia
([email protected])
http://members.tripod.com/~Patricia_Marie/index.html

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper ubi femininus sub ubi

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Reread The Story Tonight...

Plotwise, that ending does seem to be the right way to go. Thanks for completing the story.

If the wrap-up did seem a bit rushed in this final chapter, there's really no better alternative that I can see -- it'd be anticlimactic to extend the wrap-up into multiple chapters.

Eric

Short Chapters we'll miss you!

Hi, just so you know, I still have Wish I'd stayed in bed on my hard drive patiently waiting for another chapter. I am/was a devoted fan of Short Chapters and am sorry to hear that writing it had gotten to be a chore. I was not happy to see it wrapped up where it did and was very surprised at the ending but it made sense. It seems that someone is still conflicted as witnessed by the fact that everything is put away in the attic and not the trash. What about his best bud and Lauralee? It screams for a sequel set in 'his' senior year, where he still has not grown any more and is constantly mistaken for a young girl because his puberty hasn't kicked in, etc. BTW, my own "Madison" sits in my bedroom and just this morning I gave her a hug, silly I guess for a 63 year old. But then in post-op years I'm only 6. Anyway, love your stories, keep up the great work. Hugs, Carol

Carol Anne

It's up for grabs

Thanks for the nice note. I'm sure that someone else could take something from that story... if anyone did want to make a sequel or an alternative ending, I'd be happy to see it.

I loved it!

I just got around to finishing reading Short Chapters. I loved it!
The ending, while abrupt, leaves open many possibilities for a sequel, or even alternate sequels, by you or other authors. Kind of like with Maddy Bell's Drew/Gaby.

So, who's up for writing "Alternative Chapters"?

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

I Do So Love A Happy End !

...and that one was superb. What an accomplished writer you are. This story was fun, yet touching - you wrote as though from right inside the character of Victor/Juliette. If one were still able to vote I would vote twice, or even a hundred times, fot this one.

Briar

Briar

It isn't a sad ending.

It is sad if there is no more to follow.