The Prayer - Part 4

Printer-friendly version
The Prayer - Part Four
Dancing in the Dark

 
by Andrea Lena DiMaggio
 

Dancing in the dark 'til the tune ends
We're dancing in the dark and it soon ends
We're waltzing in the wonder of why we're here
Time hurries by, we're here and we're gone


Annabeth and Maeve had been married for three years, in which time Annabeth had completely transitioned. It was their anniversary, and they celebrated it in fashion...relaxed and sweet and simple. A picnic in the park, with wine and cold chicken followed by dancing to Diana Krall on their CD player. It was a far cry from their wedding night, which started at "Upstairs at '21'" restaurant in Manhattan in esquisite gowns and with fine food and wine, followed by a night of dancing and followed around the dance floor by unbelieving but rather accepting eyes, finally ending in sweet embrace and love in the honeymoon suite at the Four Seasons Hotel.

"I love you more than I can say,"

Maeve said, kissing her lover on the earlobe. She treasured these times, almost tenaciously, as they didn't know how long they'd last. Annabeth was dying. Not quickly they had been told, but not in some long protracted horror. They knew the end would come sometime this year, and they wanted to enjoy each moment as long as they could. No tears today, they had hoped. Nothing but romance and music and sweet tender moments that would last a lifetime, even if that lifetime were short.

"You are everything that I could have ever hoped for, my dear."

Annabeth said, cooing into her wife's ear. She was weaker today than yesterday, but her strength was renewed almost magically by her lover's ministrations. She giggled as Maeve licked her cheek, almost playfully, before kissing her sweetly and lightly on the part of her chin just beneath her lips. She laid back and drank in her lover's sweet aroma, thankful for this beautiful woman who was her whole life.

______________________________

Their lives began together with a prayer. Cal had been lonely and sad, with few friends save for his sister, who had succumbed just a little more than three years ago as well. In the time between then and now, he had fallen in love with Maeve, who had longed for someone to care for and found her in this sweet loving and tender person. The time between saw a quick engagement followed by a wedding that was unique, to say the least. Cal had shared his heart with Maeve, and she had fallen in love with that heart...the person Cal had always been meant to be. Annabeth: a blessing of grace, her name meant; she had come alive and she was all that and more to Maeve.

___________________________

She was dying and there was nothing to do except enjoy what time they had, and enjoy it they did. A trip to Florence...not a tour, but a month renting a villa just outside the city, sampling the art and culture without hurry or care. And then to Ireland for another month of sightseeing; visiting the homes of their foreparents. And then to Paris, with gowns and wine and music that outdid their wedding night ten-fold. And the love in the evening, lasting thoughout the night, romance and sweet refrains as they loved each other like none ever could.

___________________________

Tonight was special...a commemoration and almost culmination of their time together. Sweet and tender, with no care for tomorrow. Whatever the morning brought, it would be good enough. Nothing could take away from their love and nothing would ever surpass what they would enjoy. Tender caresses and sweet kisses followed by loving with utter abandon and thrill.


Looking for the light of a new love
To brighten up the night, I have you love
And we can face the music together
Dancing in the dark, dancing

"I was lost without you...my sweet, sweet Maeve. I love you; I'm not afraid, I know my God and He knows me...I'm so sorry to leave you behind, and my wish would only be that you'd be comforted and cared for,"

Annabeth spoke softly in her wife's ear as they lay in the sweet caress of the moment and basked in the warmth of their love.

They kissed once again, not without passion, but also soft and tender, savoring each sensation; the playful bite of the lip, the caress of the tongue, the brush of nose against nose, feeling loved and loving more than anyone ever could. The night ended in a soft sleepy embrace, likely never to be duplicated in the annals of romance.

______________________________

Morning came with light streaming softly through the gauze of waking sight, and birds sang outside their bedroom window. Maeve woke and noticed that Annabeth wasn't next to her. She arose, ignoring her slippers and padded down the carpeted hallway toward the kitchen. No aroma of brewing coffee or of breakfast, Maeve was greeted with the sweet smell of roses and lilies, as if the room were opened up to a flower garden. She looked around the kitchen, but nothing seemed disturbed, and found no vase filled with the blooms she smelled.

She walked into the den, and found her, sitting back in the recliner, her Bible in her hands...her lifeless hands. The room was filled with the fragrance of sweet perfume, but not of this plane. Annabeth sat quietly, with the sweetest smile on her face, as if she had been touched by the hand of God. In her right hand was an envelope, written in longhand and lavender; Maeve's favorite color. Maeve blinked out the tears in her eyes and walked to Annabeth's side. She leaned over and kissed her lover for the last time on the forehead. The envelope said simply,

My sweet bride.

She opened the envelope, and found the following, also written in longhand,

My dearest Maeve,
I love you with all my heart. My life was empty without your love, and I thank God for our time together. Always remember to sing when you think of me.

Dancing in the dark 'til the tune ends
We're dancing in the dark and it soon ends
We're waltzing in the wonder of why we're here
Time hurries by, we're here and we're gone

All my love to you, my dear sweet wife. I love you and thank you and treasure you. Annabeth

The paper was quickly stained with falling tears as Maeve wept over the loss of the first and only one she had ever loved. She wasn't angry or bitter; she was at peace and content, perhaps as content as she'd ever been in her life as well.

She kissed Annabeth on the lips and eyes and everywhere on her face before stepping back. Time enough for phone calls only a few minutes later; some things were more important. She walked over to the stereo and turned on the CD player...Diana Krall's husky alto voice sang softly while the piano followed...

Looking for the light of a new love
To brighten up the night, I have you love
And we can face the music together
Dancing in the dark, dancing

She walked back over to the chair where her lover remained. She sat down on the floor and rested her head against her lover's knees and wept...again, not bitter, not angry, but sweetly, remembering and treasuring and being thankful...and she smiled.

Dancing in the Dark
Words and Music by Howard Dietz and Arthur Schwartz
As sung by Diana Krall
from the Album The Look of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq6sPc1i5Sc

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Delightful,

ALISON

'delicious,romantic and sad!But with such feeling and
sensitivity that brought tears to my eyes again.
Thank you so much,my delightful friend and sister.May
God bless and protect you.My love as always.Alison

ALISON

Oh Mom...

...this one is definately handkerchief stuff...linen of course. The only comfort is sneaking in behind Gram.

Your Lil' Brat

So sad but also so

So sad but also so beautiful. So beautiful in its sadness.

dancing in the dark

laika's picture

Sweet, poignant, sad but not depressing. They had a wonderful life together, however short their time as lovers was. Maybe someday an epilogue, Maeve going thru Annabeth's stuff and fondly remembering highlights of their relationship, special days that stand out to her, told in flashbacks, because like I bitched about in my PM this story seemed to jump from the beginning right to the end; and greedy piglet that I am I wanted more.
Still, very moving and real, Drea.

I didn't know this song. To me DANCING IN THE DARK was always that Billie Holliday tune:

"The moonlight was so entrancing,
the lights all began to fade,
I said to myself keep dancing,
but only my heart obeyed...
I thrill
to my fingertips,
when I feel your lips
darling oh so near;
A flame
grew from just a spark,
when I found romance
Dancing in the dark!"

Which also works for this beautiful relationship.
~~hugs, Ronni

My sweet sister....

Andrea Lena's picture

...As painful and sad as it was to write, I felt compelled beyond anything I've ever experienced to put this to words. With so much of what I've been blessed with; a beautiful wife and son, family and friends; it was a reflection of how much I stand to lose, perhaps what so many others of us might feel as well, and Maeve and Annabeth have been in my mind since I started their tale.

You, Greedy? Not at all, since it is, as you say, a big jump. And yes, another chapter which will be as wonderful and joyful as this one was sad. And yes, Billie Holliday's version works just as well. Thanks for caring enough about this beautiful couple to ask for more.

UPDATE: Plans for a revisit to my precious Maeve; I've neglected her for far too long.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So Sad!!! Sob...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Maeve Waited so long and had such a short time with Annabeth. I want more for Maeve than memories though happy memories are always wonderful things, But they are past things, things gone by. What I'd like to see for Maeve is new love, true love: Warm, living breathing love not cold lonely memories of the amazing warm person that was Annabeth.

I hate to see such a warm person lonely. There's to much lonely in the world now. Don't let Maeve grow old lonely as many do. I think you understand my thoughts, always!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Sweet and sad

They had a tender love that was far too short. I had the tissues out for this one.

Joanna