Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 855.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 855
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I finished the food preparation and checked on the children, the boys were racing up and down the road, while the girls were riding around with Mima, who still had stabiliser wheels on her Barbie bike. They seemed happy and everything was going pretty well as it should.

It was now after ten, and I went and spoke to Tom. “Daddy, I have some flowers in the shed to keep them cool, would you like to walk up to the grave with me?”

“Hae ye got time?”

“If we walk briskly, we should have.”

“Aye, a’richt.”

A few minutes later we were sneaking away from the house. I’d asked Simon to keep an eye on the dinner, we’d be half to three quarters of an hour.

We walked arm in arm, me carrying the flowers in my other hand, Tom with the dog’s lead in his other one. We talked about the weather which was amazingly mild and sunny. There was still a little bit of snow visible up on the downs, but the rest had gone.

Fifteen minutes later, we were at the outskirts to the cemetery and I felt a bit embarrassed. I mean, I’d taken the place of one of these poor women, and now had the engagement ring of the other–which should have gone to the first one. I know they were both dead, but even so, I felt guilty.

I handed him the flowers and offered to take the dog for him. “Whit fa? Ye’re family noo, nae need to feel embarrassed.” He held my arm tightly and we walked to the grave. He obviously came up here regularly–it was immaculate. He removed the flowers from the vase and took them to the rubbish bin, he emptied the old water out of the vase and washed it out and refilled it. Then he placed the small bouquet I’d bought into the vase and rested it back in its place on the grave.

“Thae flooers are frae Cathy, fer some reason she feels embarrassed to be here. I’ve telt her nae tae be, as she’s family thae noo. I ken, ye’d welcome her if ye cud,” he put his arm around my shoulder, “an’ I ken ye’d be sae prood o’ her as a dochter.”

I wiped away the tear which had escaped my eyes, and wished the grave and its occupants, a Merry Christmas–stupid, I know, but I felt very emotional and it was embarrassing me. I took the dog and said I’d give him a few minutes on his own. I wandered around looking back every so often to make sure he was okay and also to keep an eye on the time.

Five minutes later he walked away from the grave and we tramped back to the house, by which time I’d recovered enough to smile at him. He squeezed my hand and thanked me, so I kissed him on the cheek.

Then it was all systems go. I checked the turkey–it was doing just as it should–popped in the stuffing and roasting potatoes, and dashed up to shower and change. I called the girls in and washed them and their hair. They were all to wear dresses for dinner.

Finally, I got the boys in and sent them up to shower and change into the shirts and trousers I’d got them. I asked Simon to make sure they did as I asked. I threw on some makeup and did my hair, sent the girls to Stella, who did their hair nicer than I can.

Then it was on with my best pinny and back to the food. By twelve Pippa had arrived and offered to help me. I gave her a pinny and asked her to whip some cream for the Christmas pudding and trifle. Her boys and the two tearaways I had seemed to get on well together and they went off to watch a video of some cartoon.

At half past twelve, Tom arrived with Leon and his mother. I introduced them around and went back to the kitchen. Simon was in charge of drinks and he welcomed them warmly.

A quarter of an hour later I was shocked to discover that Henry and Monica were walking up the drive, laden with presents. We’d need to lengthen the table and grab some chairs from the spare room. I sent Trish up with Leon to get them, some folding wooden chairs. I also got them to bring down the card table and decided, the kids could eat at the card table end and I’d move everyone else down a bit. There was just enough cutlery for two more places.

The girls were all over their other ‘grandparents’ and were rewarded with a present each. I hugged and kissed them both and asked if there was anything they didn’t like.

“Oh, we’re not staying,” said Monica.

“Oh yes you are,” it was beginning to sound like a panto script.

“We are?” said Henry.

“Yes, no one gets out of this house unfed at Christmas.”

“But we only called by with the presents,” he protested.

“So? That’ll teach you,” I winked and he beamed a smile back at me and shrugged.

Stella, Simon and I loaded the table with food and Tom stood by to carve the enormous turkey Simon carried in and laid before him.

Tom asked that we be upstanding. “I’ll say a short grace,” he said and I sighed but accepted it.

“Some hae meat and canna eat,
Some canna eat that want it:
But we hae meat and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit.”

Even I knew it as Burns’ Selkirk Grace, although I learned later its proper name is the Kirkudbright Grace. Henry is a mass of information.

Henry smiled at Tom and they touched glasses and we all toasted Christmas, then to my embarrassment, they toasted the cook–I blushed redder than the cranberry sauce, although the traditionalists actually had bread sauce instead–I hoped there was enough.

Tom carved and I ladled on vegetables of various kinds: boiled potatoes, roasties, carrots, sprouts, roast onion, mushrooms, tomatoes–okay technically a fruit–but so what?

Gravy was poured and stuffing of four different types was passed around the table. Simon filled glasses and I kept doing veg. Eventually we sat down and tucked in. Apart from some conversation, the major sound was cutlery against plates and mastication.

Finally, everyone had had enough, and Henry said loudly, “Cathy, that was every bit as good as our professional cooks could make. Thank you so much for inviting us to stay for dinner.”

“Pudding, anyone?” I asked but all I got was groans in reply.

“Mebbe in an ‘oor or twa,” said Tom and the others agreed. The children were excused and went off to play with their newest toys. Henry had brought presents for all the children, even Pippa’s boys–admittedly they were a little stereotyped, dolls for the girls and cars for the boys, but it kept them busy.

I asked Trish to get Henry and Monica’s present from under the tree. It was officially from the girls, Henry had a new wallet and Monica a new purse. They seemed pleased enough with them.

After clearing away the dirty plates, we adults settled down for a chat and a glass of wine. Leon had gone with the boys and wanted to watch the DVD I’d given him, his mother was pleased with the little gold earrings I’d got her. I gave Pippa a bracelet to match one she already had.

“How are the boys getting on with the girls?” asked Henry.

“Fine, we were a little apprehensive, but they get on fine.” I responded. More chit chat went on with Tom and Henry nattering and Stella and Monica. Simon poured more wine and the conversation flowed.

“Oh, Cathy,” said Henry.

“Yes, Pa in law?” I replied, having had a glass and a half of red wine.

“The board of the High Street Bank PLC, has asked me to convey something to you.”

I wondered what this could be, surely he wasn’t going to sack me–was he? “And what’s that, Henry.”

“They were absolutely delighted with your dormouse film, and want you to press on with the harvest mouse one. The way it reflected on the bank was considered by all to be very positive and they all thought that it was very good value for money.”

“I don’t know what to say–I–um, don’t know what to say, except harvest mice will be more difficult and I don’t know how much time I’ll have to do it, what with three children.”

“I counted seven plus a teen,” said Henry.

“Ah, two of those are mine,” said Pippa, “I could donate them if you’re collecting–but I suspect you might have enough with your five.”

“Five? No–three, the boys aren’t staying.”

“I’d like them to, Mummy,” said Trish.

“I think I’d better sit down,” I said and flopped down on my chair.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Turn up for the books

Trish wants her former antagonists to become part of the family. I didn't expect that much "Good Will", although it is the season.
Good work, more of the same please.
poppykin

Wonderful Holiday Scene

That dinner with all the family was a wonderful holiday scene. I liked how things were adjusted on the fly to accommodate the arrival of Henry and Monica.

Of course I kept waiting for Tiny Tim to say "God bless us everyone".

So I will wish all a belated Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year. Although in the case of our fictional family that might crimp the story line some.

And a special thanks to the authoring committee of this daily present, Angharad, Bonzi, et al.

I know I don't comment very often but I find myself so inadequate to offer proper thanks to each of the authors here.

Thank you all,

Michelle

Michelle B

WOW, What a Turnabout!

I Agree with Poppykin the following statement “I’d like them too, Mummy,” said Trish.
What a turn about, "Trish wants her former antagonists to become part of the family" WOW! Richard

Richard

"Out of the mouths of

"Out of the mouths of babes"! Trish really set Cathy and all back on their heels with her comment about wanting the boys to stay. Wonder why she decided all this now after all the rough and terrible times she had with them at the home? Trish is really turning out to be a very, very special girl and I am not talking about her little "problem". Jan

Traditions continue

Cathy wasn't the only one wiping away tears from the cemetery visit. Precious stuff Angharad—thanks.

Trish's antagonist at St Nicholas' Children's Home was Ben Bowditch (cf Part 522). I don't know what part Danny or Billy would have played in tormenting her, but Trish recognises that Danny's not going to be a problem, and with everyone's support, neither should Billy. We already know about the abuse Danny received from his family. It's probable that Trish wasn't the only sufferer in the St Nick's pecking order.

I agree that Trish is a special person. I eagerly await future developments.

Protective Siblings

Now that is the

sort of Christmas everyone should enjoy, Good food, Good company, and most of all, NO arguments, And what of Trish, Showing that whatever Danny has done in the past, It's all forgotten now.

Kirri

It's Nanny Time

Time for the lesser nobility to call in a peon or two for housekeeping and child-minding. Hadn't Henry already offered something similar a couple hundred chapters ago? Cathy might need to seriously consider it, at least if she wants any time to pursue her science and film career, not to mention a chance to get out on the bike once in awhile.

Bike pt 855.

Lovely dinner scene, and trip to see Tom's wife and daughter. I can see that curmudgeon making a place for the girls, too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Madhouse!

Let's try and tot up how many were present for the meal...

Adults: Tom, Stella, Simon, Cathy, Henry, Monica, Pippa, Leon's Mum = 8
Children: Mima, Trish, Livvie, Billie, Danny, Leon, Pippa's two = 8
Baby: Puddin' (probably had a very small amount)
Dog: Kiki (oh come on, she must have had a few tidbits at least!)

With all those present, it's probably just as well Cathy didn't decide to give Spike a holiday at home...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Billy and Danny

Even if those two can't stay, which I doubt, they have memories that will live a lifetime. The bikes were great, but the latter is probably more important.

How 'bout a film on hedge hogs, they're cute.

In such a precocious child as Trish, could she already like boys now ?
Could that be a factor in wanting the boys to stay as brothers ?

Cefin