Starting the Hunt

Printer-friendly version


Note: please read The Mail Box, move onto Sweet Dreams, follow with Playing Detective now add…

Starting the Hunt
By
BrandieS

“Ok, I agree it’s not much to go by, but it’s all we have.” A hand waved a piece of paper through the air.

“I still don’t like it. I mean wh…”

“For Christ’s sake, don’t. You of all people should know better. As I recall you weren’t the best bigger brother. I mean...you know what I mean.” These thought were cut short by his own unkind memories. Memories that now came back to haunt him. What was that phrase, oh yea ‘If only’.”

The woman heard her sons arguing. They had been doing a lot of that lately. Whenever she entered the room, they pretended everything was ok, but she knew better. Whatever it was she hoped that they would get over it. It was bad enough that one son was missing and a father was dead. She didn’t need the other three fighting.

The older brother took the paper and looked at it, then looked at his brothers. “Well, at least it’s something. We should track it down. It does have a reference to his Drivers' License and that may well be a good starting point.” He shrugged, then added “Which one of us is going to track this down?” He looked at the faces of his brothers and made a decision. “I’ll do it. I’m oldest. He knows me the least. I mean I was 13 years old when he was born and out of the house before he disappeared. Tommy if he sees you, he’ll probably freak out and Andy, he’ll think you’re making fun of him from what you’ve said about how he was before he left. He’ll never believe you’re Gay. Let alone proud of it. No” He shook his head and continued “it has to be me.” Under his breath he murmured’ I only hope we find him alive.’

up
43 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Intriguing Series of Flash Stories

Just re-read this group of short-shorts (thanks to Random Solos) and am hooked. Well written and concise. Please do continue.

Rosie

Rose