A Splintered Life - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
David just couldn't wrap his head around his brother's choice to live as a girl. It disgusted him and he felt betrayed. Drivning around and drinking were his only refuge. What else could he do?

A Splintered Life
Chapter 4 -
A Bitter Brotherhood

by poetheather

Copyright © 2009 by poetheather

 
A Bitter Brotherhood

David shoved his hands deeper into the pockets of his leather jacket. Of all the dumb ass things that could have happened in his life, he had to deal with a younger brother who was a freak and a fucking queer. Wanted to be a fucking girl. Why the fuck would he want to do that?

He was glad they had moved. So many of his friends, who he had known for most of his life had given so much shit about his brother wanting to be a girl. They had even dared to wonder if it was contagious and if he would be in a dress soon. He had beaten Robert severely for that comment. It hadn’t really made him feel any better.

David got into his car and started the engine. The mustang rumbled to life. He could feel the body of the car shake with power. He turned on his radio as he pulled out of the apartment complex. The hard rock thrummed with the sound of his car. It helped ease his tension.

Every time he had to look at that sissy’s face and body, he got all angry again. Why did this have to happen to him?

John and him had been best buds back in the day. He used to get picked on when he was younger and David had stood up for him. He didn’t know how many people he had punched out for daring to call his little brother a fag. They played sports and video games together. Life had been good. Hell, David remembered going out on double dates and making out in the back seat of his car, while John did the same in the front seat. He had lots of good memories of John, just none with this freak Deirdre.

David drove along the streets of the town getting used to where everything was. It was relaxing. Just cruising was always a good way to calm down. He had discovered this when he was sixteen and just allowed to drive. His troubles rolled away as he drove along.

He pulled into a burger joint that had carhops. He really liked the tight shirts and short shorts they wore. They even roller-skated to your car. He loved a little shake with his food. The thought made him smile. He rolled down his window as his pulled alongside a speaker.

“Can I help you?” the teenager’s voice hade the sound of most people working and just watching the clock. David smiled.

“Yeah. Give me a double bacon cheeseburger, chili cheese fries, and a large chocolate milkshake.”

“No problem. It will be out shortly.”

David moved his seat back from the steering wheel. It didn’t really have a long way to go. He adjusted his rear-view so he could watch the approach to the carhop.

He watched the girl approach the car. She looked really hot. Tight ass and huge tits. He just wanted to reach out and touch them. He smiled at her. She smiled back and it became genuine when he tipped her two dollars. He watched her departure.

He shifted his penis, which had gotten hard with the thoughts about the girl and her body. She looked like she would be a good fuck. He might even see if he could get her number and possibly score. That would be nice. He just wasn’t sure if he could have sex with John in the house. Just thinking about that developing body made him a little sick to his stomach. He stopped that train of thought and took a drink from his milkshake.

He needed to get his mind off John and onto something more fun. Perhaps he would hit a club or something tonight. That should make him feel a little better. Having a few beers might wash out the nasty taste in his mouth that John left there.

That bastard was so damn selfish. How could he have chosen to do this to the family? They had had to move after he had started his damn transition. All of his friends, all the places he knew, all the girls. Now he was here. Dad was uncomfortable with the damn freak and he knew mom cried about it. Bastard didn’t think about them at all. How selfish could one person be? All he wanted was to have his perverse life, regardless of the pain it caused everyone else.

He definitely needed a few beers, maybe even a few shots to get the taste out of his mouth. He would try to get his mom to let him out of this damn situation. If he had to stay with that bastard, he was going to snap. Having to watch out for the little fairy was unfair. And if “she” brought home some guy to fuck he would probably snap. How disgusting could John get? Was this some fucking gay fantasy? Was his brother a fag, as well as a freak? The thought made his stomach churn again.

The chocolate milkshake barely took the taste out of his mouth. He shook himself and finished his food. A club. Hitting on some girls. Hopefully sex. And without a doubt a few drinks, maybe even more than a few.

He knew just the place. David had found the bar on one of his driving trips two weeks ago. It was small but it had a nice atmosphere. There was live music Thursday through Sunday. There were lots of women there when there was music. And tonight there was going to be music.

The lights on the road slid past him as he drove. It was only about another 10 blocks until he got to the bar. Maybe five minutes until he could start to drink his problem away. That would be nice. Maybe he could dance with a couple of girls? Maybe one was lonely and looking for some company. That would be nice.

The music throbbed out of the speakers as he headed towards his refuge, his oasis. Where the cooling drafts of beer would ease his chaffed self. Perhaps he could even spend some time not thinking about the little fag.

He pulled up into the parking across the street. There was a small line at the moment. The band hadn’t started yet. As soon as they did, the hordes would descend on the place. It would be nice if he managed to get a seat at one of the tables near the stage. That would make it easier to dance.

There were a couple of hot girls in the line before him. He listened to their voices happily. He loved women. Absolutely adored them. There was just something about them that made him feel like a man. It was invigorating. And it kept him dating. He hadn’t found anyone special yet, but he was sure he would run into her when the time was right. He just had to be patient and go where the girls were. Only then could lightning strike.

He smiled at them when they looked his way. It was too early in the evening to approach them. A few drinks for them and a few for him and it would be smooth sailing. He would have to see how things developed.

He had made it through his first two beers when the band finally started their first set. The music was good and he could feel the bass and the drums throbbing through his body. It was great. He could really dance to this stuff. No one was on the floor yet, but the room was beginning to fill up more.

David scanned the room. So many cute girls to choose from, how to decide. He finally spotted this Asian girl with a nice rack. Curvy and hot, just the way he liked them. He hoped that he would be able to score with her. Kung Fu theatre was to blame for his love of Asian girls. He had no problem admitting that.

He checked her hand for rings and didn’t spot any on the left hand. There were two on the right, but they weren’t the kind of rings that a guy would buy for his girl. She also didn’t seem to be here with anyone else. She just stood at the bar and swayed to the music. Her body moved lithely. Yep, it looked like it was his lucky day.

He sidled up to the bar and moved past her. He ordered another beer and turned to her, “Hey, want something to drink? Since I’m here I can just get you one.”

She smiled, “Sure. Could you get me another beer?”

He noted what type of beer she was drinking and ordered another. “Hey, my friend Rob didn’t show. You want to join me at my table? It’s by the stage.”

She nodded and followed him to the table. Things were starting to go his way. He sat with his back to the band and she sat across from him.

The night went well. They chatted between sets and they even danced some. She had agreed to coffee and he drove her to the Denny’s by the bar. He followed her home and the end of the evening. His grin was painfully huge as he contemplated the night ahead and how little sleep he was hoping on getting.

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Splintered Life-4

What would David say or think if he got the hots for a girl like his sister?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hrrrrrmmmmm?

An interesting question.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

A selfish choice?

David conveniently "forgot" that the first choice for his brother was to end his earthly existance. However, it does not seem as outright malice for him. Yet. And I can't help but think that if he is to get his head out of his arse it will be in some kind of situation where his sister is being threatened, especially physically, and "old instincts" will kick in.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Yeah, David's head is firmly

Yeah, David's head is firmly lodged in his 4th point of contact. He really isn't seeing the larger picture and that is kind of sad.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

that word selfish

laika's picture

...seems to come up a lot in interviews, accounts by the family members of transsexuals. Something they can't understand, that just seems like some arbitrary decision that'll seriously mess with their life (like if Mom announced "Guess what, kids. We're all vegetarians now. Now eat your sprouts!"), and for no good reason that they can see. All they can envision is how this embarrassing development is going to impact and possibly reflect on them. What do you say to your friends about this wierdness? All that. Talking seems like a good idea, maybe counselling; something that might get them to see that this is a serious need of Deidre's, something she herself wouldn't chose to do, to put them through (and it's not exactly a walk in the park for her) except she has to. David is coping about as well as can be expected given who he is, everything he believes about life. The quest for a nice buzz and some pussy the best distraction and release he can think of (Now watch him suddenly think about his fag brother at the wrong and not be able to get it up! Jeez, I shouldn't laugh...) I hope him and Diedre will get to be good buds again some day, if not in the same way, as he comes to realize that his "brother" hasn't gone anywhere but is simply freeing herself of the false existance that had felt so horrible and wrong she'd tried to end it all. And if he can't, I hope Diedre will be able to endure the rejection from someone she'd once been close to; and not lose hope for that some day ..... Painful stuff for them both, but realistically & sympathetically told. Excellent.
~~hugs, Laika

The biggest issue here is

The biggest issue here is that David doesn't see himself in the wrong. Everything is Deirdre's fault on solely her fault. He is just as guilty of acting selfishly as he is accusing her of being. By only dwelling on the effects this transition has had on him and his social life, he has completely neglected to connect with his sister. He moans and whines over himself, never really thinking about why she might have slashed her wrists.

David can be an idiot and he does need to grow up.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I don't like David at all...at least to this point...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but I like the way you've written about him...he's not cartoonish...There is some part of him that cries out for redemption...his thought about how Deidre's choice has hurt their mother...he's entirely wrong, but maybe something inside will come around...Just as much as it pains the reader to see how Deidre's family has pushed her away...I almost feel like I want not to push David away in the same manner...We can only hope. Another excellent chapter. I love how you're coming at this from several perspectives, and I expect we might see some other viewpoints as well. Thank you.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Is it clear I liked

Is it clear I liked Rashamon. It was an incredible film and the multiple viewpoints really struck me. So there are a few more perspective shifts.

And David is having a lot of trouble coping. What I think is really sad is the fact that when someone transitions the family is often forgotten. They have their own journeys to complete and often times with no one to help them through. So, yeah, David has an interesting voyage through this.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Akira Kurosawa...different points of view of the same event

Andrea Lena's picture

....excellent film 1950...remade in the 60's Outrage with Paul Newman...not a bad film, but pales in comparison to the original I've been around almost as long as it has. Your comment about the family having their own journeys to complete. There's no handbook on how to negotiate through all the mines to make it out of the harbor safely...Your careful delineation of each character is compelling. Thanks again.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Character study can really

Character study can really provide some interesting bits of information and plot movement. I got that idea from Theodore Sturgeon in Godbody, where he uses multiple first person narratives to move the story and it is so amazing in the fact that afterwards you ca pick up the book, open it randomly, read 1 sentence and know who is talking. Incredible work.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Interesting

how you try to show different POV's with every other chapter ( I'm guessing here )

The rage that apparently is building in older brother David is worrisome, more so if indeed the Asian 'with the nice rack' is like his younger sister. I sure hope he isn't going to become violent if this appears the case.

After John tried to kill himself, David was informed to the how and why his sibling came to the attempt at suicide. The typical knee-jerk reaction of 'Oh horror, a fag' so clearly illustrates his total lack of empathy, inability to look beyond his narrow-mindedness, and the egotistical reaction as to what his sibling is doing to him, David! It is severely grating, and I hope you'll be able to come back to this David POV, where he'll show some understanding.

That you left us here with David on the verge of (re)establishing his masculinity by driving his power car, drinking and wooing, and maybe even scoring.. Oh, well, I think it's quite teasing of you, you imp.

Such a short chapter too. Pwah.

Love the story though.

Jo-Anne

Well, the differing POVs are

Well, the differing POVs are part of the splintered motif I used when writing this. The story is skewed in time and in perspective. Made for a fun narrative over all.

David is coping poorly, like a lot of families do. There is hope for him, if he can manage to stop drinking and get his head out of his ass.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

David

Hope David will open his eyes and get some oil in his head because for me he seems as some sort of bad guy, and shallow at that since he is looking at girls as sex object only.

Is it before or after Deirdre meet with Megan?

That's you're job to figure

That's you're job to figure out. I believe he says something about being there for two weeks though.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Ruh Roh

NoraAdrienne's picture

My head is spitting out story thoughts... and the newest one says our boy is gonna get the shock of his life when he and this Asian beauty start to get it on. LOL

The only problem I could see

The only problem I could see from that would be David's reaction, which would probably not be pretty.

Funny idea though.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I'm afraid it wouldn't be pretty at all...

Andrea Lena's picture

...part of me feels for him though...there's something about him...he may have protected John just to keep from being embarrassed, but I hope that it was more than that. And his disappointment in Deidre...if he didn't love her deep down, he wouldn't care. That doesn't change that he's wrong about her...he's still stuck on his own feelings and is oblivious to her pain. Hope he comes around...no reason to think he can't change. Thanks again for a great chapter. Hope for the best with Deidre with her family...She wouldn't be so hurt if she didn't want acceptance and reconciliation herself. Very compelling to the point of being impossible to resist.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you very much. Yeah,

Thank you very much.

Yeah, there is something with him and with all the characters. I basically got the inspiration and sat down to write it. I did nothing but write for basically five days straight. I am fairly sure I ate a few times and stuff, but the story grabbed me and viola.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

:)

Aha :)

Isn't Deirdre's new friend Megan Asian

Could David’s pickup be Megan?

I find David's character to be chauvinistic, considering his attitude in the shared apartment, i.e. lazy, untidy, no sharing of the household chores, TV hogging etc.
He drives around to calm himself down, obviously low on intellect, so how can you blame him for his outlook on life.
Compared to his brother he is a real "Bevan".
Resurrecting him will need some smart writing to achieve the almost impossible!

Well written Heather, I'm enjoying your story.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Meagan is indeed Asian and

Meagan is indeed Asian and no, he is not picking her up. It is important as to how David treats her when they meet.

And David is dealing with a number of issues that are adding to the stereotype, namely depression and the beginnings of an alcohol problem. He isn't stupid, but depression can make you that way. He is in despair over the chaos of his life and he can only see one thing, that it is his sister's fault. Is it any wonder then how he does things around her?

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Ok!

I await your obvious talent to tempt me,(A mere mortal), more?

Could I suggest that as David likes women so much he may also be inclined to experiment. Or is that his real problem, that he can't admit to himself that he also wants to be a girl like John??

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

That is certainly one way to

That is certainly one way to spin the information.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Ok!

I await your obvious talent to tempt me,(A mere mortal), more?

Could I suggest that as David likes women so much he may also be inclined to experiment. Or is that his real problem, that he can't admit to himself that he also wants to be a girl like John??

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Drinking and driving...

As Heather said in an earlier comment, David is bordering on alcoholism.

Having sole use of the only car at the same time could possibly be a recipe for disaster.

Maybe there'll come a time when David has a crash and ends up being saved / nursed by Deirdre...

I can forsee that the "darkness" around future episodes won't revolve solely around Deirdre, but also David and possibly others as well.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Nice guess. Heather We are

Nice guess.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.