My Secret Sister

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Jerry is just an average kid with more problems than some. a round of events change that as you'll find out.

Story:

This story is fiction. Some parts may be correct and some other may not be correct. I’m not in the medical community so some parts may well be wrong. This is a fiction story and no names refer to known people. All comments accepted good or bad. It’s one of a few stories I have written but one of only a few that is finished. Please enjoy this fictitious story. Thanks to Saphira, Karen Page and Joni for their help proofing and editing this story, any mistakes left are mine.

ENJOY

My Secret Sister

It all started 2 years ago. Well some of it started 2 years ago the rest started 8 months ago. You see my name is Joanne, I’m 24 and I work for the local hospital where I got the job through our aunt, as she also works there. She managed to get me a job because I studied nursing at nurse’s school. I’ll tell you what happened 2 years ago first, here goes.

I was still in nurse school when I got that fateful call. I can still remember it today; I was told to go to the admin office and when I got there my aunt was already in there with the dean, it looked like she’d been crying. It turns out my mom and dad had been in a terrible accident and neither had survived. Some drunk driver had ran a red light and sideswiped their car. That wouldn’t have been too bad in itself, but they were pushed into the oncoming lane of an 18 wheeled truck. They didn’t stand a chance they both died at the scene.

After I’d crumbled up and fell to the floor my aunt came over to me and tried her best to offer some comfort, you see my aunt is my mom’s twin in every way. The only difference was their eye color, hers are blue and moms were brown. After a few minutes of crying and sobbing, being comforted by my aunt. The dean said to take all the time off I needed, I’d be able to take the exams when I was feeling up to it.

“Oh no, what about Jerry?”

“I wanted to tell you before we went to his school and told him, I have also been in touch with the school nurse and she has a tranquiliser already setup and waiting, as soon as you feel up to it we will both go and let him know.”

“Ok, aunt Sharon, give me a few minutes, he’ll be devastated as he’s so close to mom.”

“I know. I’ve no idea how he’ll take the news.”

Jerry

Across town, one hour later.

“Can Mr Crawford please go to the principal’s office please.”

Came over the annoying tannoy system they put in at the school.

“Shit dude, what you done now Jer?” asked my only friend, Tom.

“Hey, don’t ask me. You’ve been everywhere I have.”

“Yeah but, you don’t get called to the principals office for nothing, ya know.”

“You don’t have to tell me that Tom. Prob wants to rope me into playing another girls role in the play they’re organising.”

“You always get the girls roles and you know you like it.”

Let me tell you, Tom is one of the only few people that know I want to be a girl, I’ve never told my parents or my sister, I only told Tom because he’s not exactly straight, you see he’s bi and he’s not bothered who knows. All the other kids stay away from him as they do not know what to make of him. I’m his friend as he saw me in a couple of plays as a girl and came onto me before he figured out who I was. His response was “hey, I’m bi, it doesn’t bother me”. So after we got to know each other better, I told him my darkest secret.

He did ask me if I preferred girls or guys, but at the time, a 14 year old transsexual is trying to work his own head out to even try to figure out the other sex. What is the other sex to me anyway, I’m a girl in a boys body so should I date girls or boys? I decided to wait till I knew more about myself before going down that route.

Anyway off I trundled to the principal’s office; as I got to the main desk the receptionists told me to go straight in. I opened the door and closed it behind me. The principal told me to take a seat. As I sat down I realised there was other people in the room. I turn around and saw my sister my aunt and the school nurse.

“Oh shit, what’s happened?” I could see my aunt and sister had been crying so I start to worry.

“Let me explain,” said my aunt.

I don’t know what happened, but the next thing I know is I felt a prick in my arm and I woke up in a hospital bed.

I look over to the side of the bed and see my mom and sis sitting there in chairs, both apparently asleep.

“Oh thank God it was only a dream, but what am I doing in hospital?”

With that my sis and mom wake up, but it wasn’t my mom as she doesn’t have blue eyes.

“Sis.”

“Don’t say anything Jerry; I’m here with aunt Sharon.”

“Where’s mom?”

“Don’t you remember, honey?” asked my aunt.

“NOOOO, nooooo.” Prick again

Apparently I was in and out of tranquilised sleep for 2 days. When I finally came around my sister and aunt were still there in my room. It looked like they hadn’t been home to change in a few days. They heard me moving about and were on me like squirrels collecting nuts. I had to tell them to back off slightly as I was having problems breathing. After a few minutes, I was grabbed by my aunt and sis and had a really long cry. After that they again told me what had happened, I was devastated. I loved mom and dad loads but was always closer to my mom. That’s what was hurting also, the fact my aunt was my mom’s twin.

I was discharged later that day and we went to my aunts flat were I was told to get some more rest and if I needed them to call them. Everything was a blur for a month or two. I didn’t even go to school, but they understood, my grades were that high I could afford the time off without loosing much credit at all and could do catch up exams to bring me to date.

After a few days at my aunts flat, we decided that my aunt would move into our house. She only had a 2 bedroom flat as that’s all she needed with her being a nurse and no partner. To which I later found out that she was a lesbian and hadn’t found the right partner yet, also with being a nurse her social life was a bit limited.

I was a bit off back at the house; all those memories of being with mom and dad were coursing through me. I couldn’t concentrate on anything at all and started to become a bit depressed. My sister and aunt saw the signs and quickly got me to see a therapist, but that didn’t help much as I missed my mom. You see, I think she knew about me. She used to go out with dad for long periods on a Saturday or Sunday leaving me in the house alone. I’m sure I put her and my sister’s stuff back in the same place, but you always make some sort of mistake now and then.

When the funeral was organised we went to it but I was still foggy about the whole thing. I cried my eyes out. My sister had to comfort me and lead me away from the rest of it as I was too distraught. All the family and friends were there, even Tom turned up and offered me some comfort, but I was still too depressed to stay and watch the rest.

I did go back to school, but it went downhill, I couldn’t concentrate on school work and my grades started to slip. All I wanted was my mom and dad back with us. The school got in touch with my aunt and had her try to get me to come out of my funk. It only made it worse seeing my mom every day, but not seeing her. It tore my heart to bits.

Joanne.

I was starting to get really worried for my brother. After our parents died, he seemed to go into a funk and wasn’t interested in anything. Even his schoolwork started to suffer, he had been at the top of his class and now he was about half way down. His grades had slipped tremendously and we were worried for him. So was the school and that’s why they arranged for me and my aunt to go in one day.

When we got there, apparently they’d also noticed how Jerry was getting and asked us to get him some urgent help of some kind; it seemed they thought Jerry was on a destructive path and they tried but nothing worked to bring him around. We asked if we could take him home to which we were told that he wasn’t in school that day. They thought we’d kept him home. We were panicked to say the least. We were scared stiff as to where he could be, so we rushed home to see if he was there. What we saw when we got there shook us to the core of our beings. There in the bath with blood coming from his wrists, was Jerry.

We immediately rang 911 and requested an ambulance. As aunt Sharon was a nurse she saw to him while I phoned the hospital. They told us they would be there in a few minutes. They took all of us to the hospital were they immediately took him into the O.R to try and stem the blood and to see if they could keep him alive.

As we were waiting I decided to show my aunt the letter I found on his bed. As we were reading it our hearts went out to him. He said if he couldn’t be the girl he was then he wasn’t going to be the boy everyone thought he was. My aunt immediately picked up on this.

“Oh my Joanne, I’d totally forgot.”

“What?”

“Well, your mother confided in me a few years ago when she noticed hers and your clothes being moved and not put back in their place. We came up with the reason it had to be Jerry so she arranged on certain weekends to have long days out with your father while you were out with your friends. She knew he was wearing hers and your clothes as she found some one day stuffed at the back of his closet. She asked me to find out certain things about cross dressers. There isn’t that much on the subject but I gave her what I could find. We never realised he could be a transsexual”

“All these years I’ve known him and I never realised he’d been in my stuff.”

“You wouldn’t have. Your mom used to go through your stuff before you got home and put the items away properly. Your father never knew at all. Your mom never told him, she only confided in me.”

“So this letter has something to do with that?”

“Yes, I reckon it has. How many times has he been alone since the accident?”

“I must say that we haven’t really given him any real time by himself. One of us has always been in the house with him.”

“Exactly, so how many times would he have had the chance to dress up?”

“I see what you mean. So what can we do about it?”

“Nothing really until he turns eighteen. That’s the legal age you have to be before he would be allowed to start transition.”

“Transition?”

“Joanne, it means that he has to be 18 before he is allowed to take hormones. The powers that be made a ruling that they have to be that age before they will do anything. And with him trying to kill himself they won’t do anything until that is sorted also.”

“Is there nothing we can do for him?”

“I will have to make enquiries with a few friends, but I would rather risk my career for him to be happy than have a dead nephew or niece whichever the case may be.”

“Well, I hope you can do something for him or her. Like you said I’d rather have him happy than to loose another member of my family. 3 already is enough.”

Let me tell you here. The reason I have just said 3 family members is because I’d a younger brother about 3 years younger than me. My dad was ecstatic when he was born. My mom already had me, and dad finally got his son he always wanted. He could teach him baseball and other stuff only a father can pass onto his son. Everything was going fine until his second birthday. He contracted a severe cold and apparently his immune system couldn’t handle it and he ended up in hospital, but there was nothing they could do. It was apparently hereditary on my father’s side. Everyone in the family was tested to see if there was some sort of miracle cure, but sadly they couldn’t find one. On discovery of old family documents, there was a faulty gene and there were two others from years ago that contracted this particular illness and nothing could be done for them either.

That is why there is a ten year gap between me and my brother. My parents were devastated when he finally passed away, they never really thought about having another child for a few years, just in case they’d had another son who could have this apparently faulty gene. When Jerry was born my father was over the moon and distraught at the same time. So was my mom, they couldn’t bear to find out if Jerry had the same faulty gene. All manor of tests were carried and they did find a faulty gene but not the one that was found previously. What they did find was that my brother had a chromosome disorder, it turns out he was xxxxy and this little fault was apparently enough to keep the hereditary illness from happening to him.

The doctors at the time, said having that many chromosome x and y’s meant he wouldn’t grow up to be extra strong, or masculine. But still would be a healthy child. That put their minds at rest, but what would so many x chromosones mean. They were told that the extra x chromosones would not matter. But, when my mom started to note about what Jerry was doing, she got hold of my aunt and asked her make some enquiries for her.

When my aunt made enquiries, they found a sequence that stated xxy, which is Klienfelter Syndrome but not a great deal about xxxxy. People with Klienfelter, apparently grew very tall and were usually gender dysphoric. This ruled out my brother as he was only 5’ 3 and wouldn’t grow much after that. Maybe 5’7 maximum.

All this information didn’t help mom or my aunt sort out why he was doing what he was doing, but as long as he wasn’t hurting anyone, they let him continue, the usual words were “maybe it’s just a phase he’s going through.” But after a couple of years they ruled out the phase thing. My aunt spoke to a colleague of hers that covers G.I.D and gave her some details about it. She said she would look into it as a personal favour and if it ever got out of hand to contact her immediately.

Well that contact was made as soon as we got to the hospital. My aunt called her friend and mentioned what had happened and her friend came over straight away.

“Hi Sharon. I’m not going to ask how you are doing, but I’ll offer you my comfort for time being.”

“Thanks Kate.”

“So, who is this?”

“This is my niece Joanne. It’s her brother we are worried about. Remember a few years back when I asked you for some information?”

“Yes.”

“Well the person it concerned is in that O.R being treated on as we speak, as he tried to commit suicide earlier.”

“I heard about a suicide being brought in, but didn’t realise it was your nephew.”

“I’ve told you about what happened to their parents and a bit of his medical history but I really think he is a she. Here, read this letter his sister found in his room when we got to the house.”

After reading the letter for a few minutes, Kate looked at her friend.

“Oh my. I really need to talk to him/her when she pulls through this, urgently. I’ll tell the doctor to let me have access 24 hrs a day and to put him, no her on a suicide watch. Hold on a second.”

After a couple of minutes Kate came back looking a lot less grim.

“I have spoken to the surgeon and he said Jerry will pull through. He only managed to nick a couple of arteries and was able to reconnect them and seal them up. So basically he will pull through the operation, but we’ll need to see what we can do about this.” said Kate, holding the letter up.

A couple of days later Jerry was still in hospital. He was recovering from his self inflicted injuries. He was put on suicide watch so there was a camera put in his room just for this and was monitored by the nurse at her station. Kate went and talked to Jerry a few times a day, but at first he didn’t want to talk. He just laid there and cried to himself.

After about a week, he seemed to come out of his funk and started to talk to me and his aunt. He was a bit dubious about Kate, but after a few days he started to talk to her. He was kept in for a month and finally released on the understanding that someone was with him, or near him, at all times and no sharp objects were to be left out, as they still were a little unsure if he would try again.

As we were driving home, we told him we had a little surprise for him, but he had to wait until we were home; all we got out of him was an “ok” reply.

While he was still in hospital, Kate motioned for me and my aunt to see her in her room.

“Well Sharon. From my little talks with her and a little test I had her do, it’s 100% certain she is gender dysphoric.”

“You mean?”

“Yes. That young person lying in that bed is 100 percent female in mind and spirit.”

“So; what can we do for her?”

“Well there is not much we can do at the moment. Because of the attempted suicide, the other psychiatrists are not too happy that he tried that. They want to try and get around that problem first. The thing is they are not gender psychologists and do not know the transgendered mind and their feelings the way we do.”

“So, what can we do; if anything? I don’t want to find her one day and she had succeeded in what she tried to do before.”

“What I’m going to suggest is this. Make some changes around the home. Get her some female clothes of any description; dresses, skirts, and various tops and shoes. If anything at first that will be a very helpful, but it still doesn’t sort the main reason out. She needs to be female and we don’t want her to try suicide again. The dressing should quell any thoughts of suicide for the time being, as long as she knows she’s allowed to do that. The problem is school. She will have to dress in male attire and that’s the problem.”

“What kind of problems?”

“Well after being allowed to dress at home then have to dress male for school. It is only a temporary thing and she may get by, but there are no guarantees. I suggest that you talk to the principal and see if he’s willing to let her be herself at school. Some schools have a program for people like Jerry and some don’t. You’ll have to find out from the school. Tell me, does she have many friends at school?”

“Well she has one friend, his name is Tom.”

“I would get in touch and see if he’s willing to watch over her while they’re at school.”

“I can guarantee he will. You see he’s bi sexual and we think he’s had a thing for Jerry for quite a while.”

“Hmmm. That may or may not help the situation. From my talks with Jerry. I’ve determined that she has no idea of her sexual preferences. So having someone that’s bisexual around her all the time may or may not help. Especially if he has a crush on her. He may try to get more than a bit friendly. That is a decision you will have to make yourselves.”

“We’ll talk to the principal and see what he suggests. Can you give us a letter that pronounces your findings, as I think that will help?”

“Yes I can. I’ll type it up and bring it around to the house. I’ve also requested full blood work to be done as to the chromosone disorder, and a genetic make up. I will try and figure the rest out when I get the results.”

“Oh, thanks Kate. You’re a marvel.”

“The marvel is yet to be revealed. Hopefully while continuing the talks with Jerry and you letting her dress, we can help her a lot. But, like I said it’s only temporary. I’m going to try and get her on a medical program to start transition early. Due to the fact that she tried to commit suicide once, it may help the powers that be to let her start H.R.T early as it’s a medical need, a must really to let her transition early.”

“Can that be done?”

“There are a few very rare cases where that has been allowed, due to the nature of the patient, and I believe this qualifies as such. Don’t tell her about this meeting, as we’re building trust in her and we don’t want to have her distrust us, with what we have accomplished so far. And also, do not tell her about an early transition, like I said, in extremely rare cases it’s allowed.”

“Ok Kate. Thank you for what you have done so far. I look forward to seeing you in a day or so, when we have her home and settled in.”

“You’re welcome Sharon. And you Joanne.”

“Yes.”

“Take good care of your sister.”

“I’ll. I don’t want to loose her. I’ve always wondered what having a sister would be like. And between Aunt Sharon and me, she’ll get a lot of training.”

“Ok. I’ll see you all in three days at your house.”

“Bye Kate. And thanks again.”

Jerry

As I sat in the back of the car. I have just been told of a surprise when we get home. Whoopee, what have I got to look forward to; a life of misery stuck in the wrong body. I mean they said they understand and so does that Kate lady that’s been seeing me. I just don’t know. I mean, I have tried to commit suicide and I still feel like that, unless I can live in the right body; even though I told the people at the hospital I wouldn’t try again.

As we pull into the driveway to our house and come to a stop, my sis and Aunt get out of the car and ask me if I was coming too. I suppose I should as I'm stuck here for another few weeks until I’m allowed to go back to school. School do they know what I tried to do, god knows what shit I’m gonna get off the bullies if they’ve found out I tried to kill myself. Then the taunts as to why I tried to do it. I just hope Tom is still gonna be my friend.

I went into the house and it was the same as I remember it; so what’s this surprise? My sis and aunt tell me to go put my stuff in my room and they’ll be up shortly. As I entered my room I saw what must be my surprise. It’s all decked out completely for a girl. At first I thought they must have got someone else to sleep in my room and I’d be moved to the basement or something like that.

I just started to throw the bag on the floor to turn around to try and find out where my room is again. I here “surprise” being shouted. I nearly jump out of my skin when they both cuddle me and ask me what I think of my surprise.

“What do you mean surprise?”

“Your room, sis.”

“Yes, where is my room? This is a girl’s room. And what’s this sis business?”

“Exactly what I mean sis. This is your room now, if that is all right with you?”

“You mean?”

“Yep all decked out just for you, my little sister.”

“It’s not real. It can’t be?”

“Nope, you’re wrong. It’s your room if you want it that is?”

“Of course I want it.”

“Well check it out and also check in the closet.”

I walked over to the closet and opened it up to a teenage girls dream. All sorts of clothes for a thirteen to fourteen year old girl were hung up. I turned around with tears in my eyes and look at my sister and my aunt. They both also have tears in their eyes.

“For me? All of it?”

“Yes Jerry. Its all yours,” said my aunt.

“I can’t believe it. I must be dreaming.”

“No. you’re not dreaming. That woman you were seeing in the hospital. She is a friend of mine and she suggested this for you as part of your therapy.”

With that I just burst out crying. No more sneaking around in my sister’s or my moms clothes. My mom, I miss her terribly. The next thing I know is I’m in a three way hug. Me, my sister and my aunt, she reminds me terribly of my own mom. Oh I wish she were here with me so we could celebrate together.

After a few minutes crying on each others shoulders we separate.

“Is this ok for you Jerry?”

“Yes Aunt Sharon.”

“Good. Now we need to talk about something else, but first I need to ask you a question.”

“What do you want to ask me?”

“First of all. We will let you dress any time you are at home including weekends and if we go on holiday, is that ok?”

With that I threw my arms around her neck and gave her a big kiss on her cheek.

“That’s perfect.”

“But, you will need to go to school as a male unless we can arrange something with the school. So until that is sorted you’ll have to go as Jerry, a male.”

“That’s ok for the time being Aunt Sharon, but I do need to be myself.”

“We know that. That’s what my friend Kate said you’d say. Now the main question. We cannot call you Jerry while dressed female, as people will put two and two together and realise who you are. Do you have a female name for yourself?”

“No, but if I’m able to choose my own female name, there is only one name I’d choose.”

“And what’s that; honey?”

“I want to be Karen, in honour of my mother.”

Well that did it and another round of hugs was exchanged.

“Mom would be happy with that sis, I know she would.”

“I know Joanne. That’s why I chose it.”

“Why don’t you take a nap Karen?”

“Are you joking, all these clothes to try on, where do I start, what do I try first, and what will I look like in them.”

With that I heard both my sister and Aunt at the same time.

“Definitely female.”

After about an hour and half of trying all the clothes on I decided to take a nap.

Sharon

We left Karen to her own devices so Joanne and I could talk downstairs. While we were downstairs we got to talking about Karen’s only friend at school, Tom. We found his number and decided to give him a call. We asked him to come around and also bring his mother with him. They said they would be around in half an hour or so.

I got up when I heard a knock at the door and asked Joanne to put the pot on for some coffee.

“Hello.”

“Oh hello, is this the Phillips and Crawford residence?”

“Course it is mom, I’ve visited Jerry here before.”

“It’s still polite to ask Tom.”

“Yes it is; would you like to come in?”

“Certainly.”

“How’s Jerry? I haven’t seen him for ages?”

“That is the reason we have asked you here to discuss.”

We spoke for about two hours going over all what had happened these last few months since the funeral. To say Tom’s mother Janice was shocked was an understatement.

“I must say. I know a bit about what that child must be going through. That’s why I’m tolerant of Tom here being bisexual. You see my own brother is transgendered.”

“No shit mom?”

“Language Thomas.”

“But I always thought she had been Aunt Joan.”

“We let you believe that Tom. She transitioned before you were born; we saw no need to tell you about her.”

“So how is? What does she want to be called again?” asked Tom

“She want’s to be called Karen, after her mother.” Replied Sharon

“S’ok” said Tom

“So, what exactly are you asking Sharon?” asked Janice

“All I’m asking is while at school, would it be possible for Tom to keep an eye out for her, make sure she isn’t picked on and such.”

“Tom, that’s something you’ll have to decide for yourself. I personally have no problem with it,” said Tom’s mom.

“Yeah, no problems there. Look after someone I’ve been interested in for a couple of years, shit you don’t have to ask me twice.”

“Thomas, language.”

“But mom. It’s a dream come true.”

“I know honey, but at the moment do not, and I mean that, do not try anything on with her for the time being. She is in a very fragile state and you’ll not confuse the situation.”

“Ok mom.”

“Thanks for that Janice, you also Tom.”

“Your welcome.”

“Now all I have to do is see if the school will let her go as Karen and not Jerry. Tom, Karen has no knowledge of the possibility of going to school as herself, so I want you to promise me you’ll not mention it. If you do and it doesn’t work out, she’ll be devastated.”

“Ok Mrs Phillips.”

“It’s Miss Phillips Tom. I’m not married.”

“Cos you’re a lesbian. I know.”

“Thomas. Apologise this instant.”

“It’s true mom. I’ve heard the rumours.”

“It doesn’t matter about rumours.”

“Janice, it’s true I’m a lesbian. Tell me Tom where did you hear the rumour?”

“A couple of the higher grade kids mentioned it before and I overheard them.”

“Well, I will have to talk to the principal when I go and see him about Karen.”

After they left I made an appointment with Karen’s principal for the Friday of the same week. Seen as it was Monday I decided to inform work as to what was happening. In the meantime, on the Wednesday, I received a telephone call asking me and Joanne to go and visit Kate. We made a phone call to Tom’s mother and asked if she would look after Karen for a few hours. After she got there obviously with Tom in tow, we left for Kate’s office.

“Hi Sharon, hi Joanne.”

“Hi Kate, you said you needed to talk to us?”

“Yes. I got the results of Karen’s blood work back and there was a discrepancy.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, oh indeed. I did some checking back into the records and managed to track down the person who originally did the blood work when she was born. The one to identify her chromosones remember?”

“Yes. I remember. They were worried Karen had the same faulty gene that Jimmy had and subsequently died of.”

“Yes, that’s right. Well I spoke to the man who did the blood work and he remembered at the end of that days shift they had a problem with the test tube cleaning process; apparently it wasn’t fully sterilising the test tubes correctly. So they had to reorder another steriliser. They didn’t think of doing rechecks on the days testing already done. It turns out after that they realised a couple of the results were off, but decided not to say anything because of law suits and such, but he did confirm one of the tests he did that day was for a baby called Jerry Crawford. He didn’t think much of it at the time, but did confirm it could have been contaminated.”

“So this means?”

“This means Sharon. That the original chromosone check on Karen was wrong. They still had an original vial of the blood collected and had it retested by me over this weekend.”

“And this means?”

“It means Sharon, that the blood then and the blood taken last week are still a match.”

“I still do not understand.”

“What I’m getting to Sharon, and Joanne, both blood tests show that Karen is actually xx chromosone.”

“That means?”

“Yes, it means genetically Karen is female, although she is producing enough testosterone to offset any oestrogen she is naturally producing.”

“So how did they get xxxxy?”

“I asked the technician that and he said he wasn’t sure, but it was something to do with the machine not sterilising right.”

“How come it wasn’t noticed before?”

“Karen hasn’t had any blood work done since she was a baby. That was the only time.”

“So what does all this mean? I know I’m a nurse, but genetics is a bit way out even for me.”

“It means, I may be able to push for surgery and for her to transition. She is genetically female, so it’ll help.”

“Can I have a copy of that as I’m seeing Karen’s principal on Friday and this may help.”

“Certainly. I will do it now and you can take it with you.”

“Thanks Kate.”

“You’re welcome Sharon. Also I will be visiting you on Saturday to check on Karen. Will you be in?”

“Yes, both of us will be in.”

“Ok I’ll see you then.”

“Thanks again Kate.”

After we left we had a long discussion in the car on the way home. We decided not to let Karen know the results. As we didn’t want to cause her any more stress, when we got home Tom was in Karen’s room and Janice was watching her daily soap.

“Did everything go ok with Karen?”

“Yes, everything is fine. I’m worried about Tom though. I sneaked a look about an hour ago; he and Karen were trying on her clothes.”

“Curiosity?”

“Could be. I’m not overly concerned as I love him no matter what. He is keeping Karen well distracted from her problems.”

“I’ll just have a quick peek.”

“Ok Sharon.”

As I got upstairs I could hear whispering.”

Karen “What’s it like to kiss someone?”

Tom “It’s nice sometimes and not nice at others.”

Karen “How can it not be nice?”

Tom “Sometimes it isn’t.”

Karen “I wouldn’t know. I’ve never kissed any one.”

Tom “Wanna try it?”

Karen “With you?”

Tom “Why not?”

Karen “I’m not ready.”

Tom “It’s only.”

Me “I should think not young man.”

Tom “ooops shit, busted.”

Me “Can you give me a minute with Karen please Tom, and language.”

Tom “Yes Miss Phillips.”

With that Tom went downstairs to sit with his mother.

“You did right there Karen.”

“What?”

“Never let a man rope you into kissing them at any cost. No matter whom it is.”

“But he’s a friend.”

“It doesn’t matter if it’s a friend or not. If you are not ready never let anyone try to tell you otherwise. It’s entirely up to you, not them.”

“Ok Aunt Sharon.”

“By the way, dressing up?”

“Ooops.”

“Tell me if you want, but I’m not pushing you to tell me, ok?”

“Ok Aunt Sharon.”

“Right get ready for tea. It will be ready in an hour or so and you’re helping.”

“Ok, I will be down shortly.”

With that I went downstairs and gave a sharp look at Tom. His mother saw the look and asked what had happened. To say he got a tongue lashing off Janice was an understatement. We invited them to stay for tea, but Janice needed to get home to do tea for her family, as they had it late on a night. Once they were gone, I explained all that had gone on with Tom and Karen. Joanne had to laugh, but saw that it could get complicated between Tom and Karen, and said she would have a word with Karen on it later on.

Friday came and the time was approaching to see the principal at Karen’s school. As I entered the main reception, the receptionists told me to go straight through. I entered the room and was offered a seat by the principal. After I sat down; I proceeded to tell the principal all that had happened. He was sorry to hear about everything, and said at the moment there was nothing he could do to allow Karen to attend school as Karen. He did mention that due to the lgbt groups around, that other schools had started a program like that, but as yet they were just putting together the details to start looking at hiring people to do the job.

He did mention that another school on the other side of the district had already started that program up and he would get in touch and see what they could offer. It was only 5 miles away and would still be within travelling distance as Karen lived just over 2 miles from her current school. He would see what he could find out and let them contact her direct.

A few days later, I had a phone call off the principal. The other school was willing to accept Karen, and allow her to go as Karen, but because of the amount of time off she had and the subsequent falling grades. Karen had to come up to speed on current projects. So she would have to attend her current school as Jerry to catch up. The principal also said he would ask the current faculty and students not to cause Jerry any problems upon his return. He said he would let Jerry stay off another week and that would be the maximum, or he would have to repeat a grade.

Sharon said that would be fine, and she would try and prepare Karen for going back to school.

In the assembly hall the following Monday morning, all the staff and students were told to go to the auditorium. By 9.30 everyone was there and the principal started.

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen. I have called this assembly because of one of our students here. Would those who have classes with Jerry Crawford and those that know him please raise your hands.”

About 40 hands went up.

“As you are all aware. A few months ago both of his parents died in an automobile accident. As you know when something like this happens it’s devastating for those left behind. Apparently because of that accident young Mr Crawford suffered delayed shock syndrome and has recently started to come out of it. I would like all members of staff and students not to hassle Jerry Crawford about this as his healing has taken some time to remedy. Any intolerance will not be allowed and anyone found doing so will be suspended or expelled. Am I clear?”

There were a chorus of yes’s

“And also, it has come to my attention that rumours have been spreading about Mr Crawford’s aunt. I would like these rumours to stop please, as it will result in the same punishment.”

A lone voice from the crowd.

“But she is a lesbo.”

“I would like the person that said that; Lance, yes, I recognise the voice, to stand up.”

With that Lance Steadman stood up and said the same comment.

“What did I say would happen, Mr Steadman?”

“You said you would expel or suspend anyone who said anything.”

“What punishment would you suggest Lance.”

“You can’t do anything to me; I’m the best wide receiver you have.”

“Oh can’t I, Mr Steadman?”

“Nope; you can’t do shit.”

“Expel number one. Anyone else want to join Mr Steadman?”

There was no response and Lance was told to clean his locker and wait in the office, his father would be called and taken from the school. On his way out his parting words were, “you’ll be sorry.”

That further put the principals back up and retold everyone what would happen. Everyone grumbled and they were dismissed back to class.

After school that day, Tom went round to see Karen and told her what had happened. Karen wasn’t pleased; she’d have to go back to school as Jerry, but understood he would have to go back to school. When Tom told her about Lance, Karen told Tom that Lance was one of the bullies he had to deal with at school and this could cause problems. This was mentioned to Sharon and she said she would speak to the principal about it.

Karen went back to school as Jerry for the remaining two months before the Christmas break. She managed to bring all her grades back up to what they were before. And she had been accepted at the new school starting January. Over the Christmas break Karen got very close to Tom. She was starting to have feelings for him and asked her sister when they were in the house one night.

Jerry/Karen

“Sis.”

“Yes Karen?”

“How do you know when you’re attracted to someone?”

“Are you talking about Tom?”

“Yeah. I like him a lot and there is something there but I’m not too sure.”

“Follow your heart sis. That’s all I can say. What feelings are you experiencing?”

“I sort of get a weird feeling in my tummy when I think of him.”

“Well, I’d say you’re falling for him then. How do you feel about that?”

“I’m not sure. I like it, but also I’m a bit scared. He’s been my friend for years and I don’t want to hurt that friendship.”

“Well take it easy for a bit. Tell him you want to take it slow and see where it goes.”

“Ok sis. Thanks for that.”

“No probs sis.”

Christmas was nearly upon us and I’d already got both my aunt and sister their presents. I’d also got Tom a present too as it seems that I was falling for him, or was it just a crush? I don’t know, but I decided to get him one anyway.

We were invited to Tom’s parents for Christmas, because that wasn’t a good time for me. My birthday is Christmas day and I only seemed to get one present and told it cost a lot, so its for birthday and Christmas. Christmas day arrived and I got a lot of presents for a change. It made me happy, but the one thing I wanted was still elusive to me, and that’s a female body to match my thoughts and dreams.

Along with all the presents I got, I also got a letter addressed to me. My aunt handed it to me and said I could open it up whenever I wanted. I opened the letter and read what was inside. It was an acceptance to the school about three miles away saying I could attend as Karen, I wouldn’t have to take phys Ed as I’d been signed off that by my doctor. At first I was pleased, I could attend as Karen, but sad also. I wouldn’t know anyone and I would be leaving my only friend behind at another school.

We collected our coats and went over to Tom’s for dinner; they’d done a really big turkey with stuffing and everything. We all sat around the table when it was served and tucked in. After the meal I handed Tom his present from me and he handed one back to me. I was surprised to say the least. He opened mine and found the recent video game he wanted. I opened mine from him and found a necklace in the shape of a heart. It also had an inscription on the back saying ‘forever yours Tom’.

I started crying on the spot and Tom took me in his arms and comforted me. All the adults and my sister looked over at us and aw’d.

After the crying bout, I told Tom of my school change. Apparently he’d been told previously, just in case. I told him I felt lonely as I wouldn’t have any friends and he told me someone as cute as me wouldn’t be without friends for long. He also said that we’d have nights and weekends to hang out or go somewhere with each other if we wanted.

I told him sure, but it wouldn’t be the same without him there with me. He comforted me again and I fell asleep in his arms. Finally it was time to go back home so we said our goodbyes and went back to our house. Over the rest of the holidays me and Tom got a lot closer. It would be hard not to see him at school in the New Year.

That fateful day came where you start a new school. I turned up on time and went to the reception desk and handed over the details I’d been given. I was given a class schedule and told exactly where my homeroom was.

As I walked in the room I handed the teacher the note saying I was in his class. He took it off me and said I was the second new student starting this morning and if I wanted to sit next to the other I could. I was pointed to where the other student was sitting and there was Tom. He had a big smile on his face and my heart leapt into my throat for a minute or so. Why didn’t he tell me he was starting here also? As I sat down I asked him this and his response was that he was told to keep it quiet.

At dinner we sat next to each other and started to talk to each other. Preferring to eat our packed lunch instead of what was offered as school dinner.

As we were eating, I saw a familiar figure stand next to the desk.

“So the faggot fairy has started to wear dresses now has he?”

It was Lance. I dreaded the confrontation that was about to happen between Tom and Lance, but before that could happen he was grabbed by a teacher and frog marched to the principal’s office to explain himself. I never saw him again, apparently he got expelled again as he didn’t really know about the lgbt group that was setup in this school. As per usual, he was a big dumb jock and didn’t read the rules he was given, he had just finished a two month suspended sentence for being allowed to attend that school after being expelled from another.

School passed easily and school work got pretty much the same as usual, boring. In about March I was asked to go see Kate. Apparently she had some medical stuff I needed, so I would have to go in for a couple of shots.

When we got there I as asked to go into another room and drop my panties so she could give me the two shots. I asked what they were for and was just told it was an anti allergy shot I was getting. I just shrugged, flinched when she stabbed me with the needle then rubbed the sore spot after she had finished.

Joanne

Karen went and had a couple of shots today. She was told it was an anti allergy shot but in fact it was the first of her hormone shots. We decided not to tell her about them until she started to get the side effects. We’ve also found out that she has been allowed to transition early and have the operation early but they still want her to do the full year R.L.T.

This means she’ll be able to have her operation 3 months after her sixteenth birthday. We’ll try not to tell her about that as we see it as a distraction at the moment. We want her to get used to living as a girl before we tell her.

Sharon

It’s been 4 months since Karen got her first hormone shot. God what a month its been, all the side effects started at once, mood swings, crying jags. You name, it she suffered it. That’s when we decided to tell her about the actual shots she had received. One was an anti androgen and the other was a time release capsule. Anyway she’s been acting really girly lately; it’s like having a bimbo in the house

Karen and Tom have furthered their relationship with each other. They are both more touchy feely with each other and I told them no messing about until she is 18. She understands, as that is when she believes she’ll be having her operation. We did not want to tell her otherwise.

We decided to go for a day out at the mall. Tom declined and said he did not want to be surrounded by three women shopping. We all had a great day. It was about this time we seriously thought about telling Karen about her operation but we did not get a chance.

As we were coming out of the mall, Karen got hit by a speeding car past the entrance. Someone managed to get the number of the car and someone else called an ambulance. The ambulance arrived and we were all taken to the hospital both of her legs were broken and she suffered a fractured pelvis.

The police came to interview us and ask how she was doing. When we enquired about the driver, it seemed the car belonged to a Lance Steadman and did any of us know him. We told him of both the times he had been in trouble and what was said both times, they are treating it as a revenge attack. Apparently after being expelled out of the second school, no one wanted to take him as he was classed as a trouble maker. Even the college that was looking to recruit him for their college ball dropped him and did not contact him again. He blamed his downfall on Karen and swore revenge.

Karen was in the O.R for nearly fifteen hours as they tried to repair the damage done by a car hitting someone at over 50 miles per hour. It was a long and tedious operation, which she managed to come through, the next few months would be the worst. They were not certain if she’d ever be able to walk again, or at all, as the pelvis was badly damaged.

For three months she struggled to be able to walk again. Tom was at her side every night and swore revenge for when or if he ever saw Lance again. He had absconded when bail had been set for him. He is also being currently looked for by the bail company.

After three months and Karen was able to walk nearly normally again she was greeted with a surprise none of us were expecting. Because Kate came and told us because the healing process was taking so long they decided to move up the surgery date, it was set for another months time once she was able to go on the long journey to the hospital were the operation was going to be done at.

A month later we stood around Karen’s bed, after being brought out of surgery. She was out of it for a day or so as the drugs wore off. When she finally came around, she saw me her sister and Tom. She asked for a drink of water and then asked if we could raise the bead head slightly, we did that and then Tom went to ask his question.

He leant over her bed kissed her then said these following words.

“Karen, I’m 16 already and you know I love you very much. You’re sixteen in a month or so, so I will ask this question now.”

“WILL YOU MARRY ME?”

The only words that came from Karen’s mouth were a yes.

Samantha P

This is a stand alone story. If anyone wants to carry on after that and into the college and rest of high school years they may do with my permission.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My secret sister

This was a really great story

Girls rule

The start is not so good...

...you posted 'that would not be so bad in itself' referring to both parents being killed in a traffic accident? Unless, either you hated your parents or had not known them from birth... I realize that phrase is euphimistic.

Secret Sister

Samantha
Glad to see that the extended vacation that your muse was on has come to an end giggle giggle. Hope to see more from you.

An excelent story, with the exception of the stupid people who abuse their driving privlige, some day people will learn that steel and flesh aren't supposed to be intertwined.

But I really did enjoy this story, its so heart warming to think that there are such warm, caring and loving people in the world.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

Lots to Discuss...

Well, you said "comments good or bad"... It's not a bad story, but it could be a lot better.

Start from the title: My Secret Sister makes it Joanne's story to tell, yet it seems to me that we get very little real insight from her. Information, yes; she explains the ten-year age differential and the son who died in the interim. But I don't see anything that makes this her story to tell as opposed to Sharon's or Jerry's, inasmuch as they get equal or greater time in the narration.

As for the title itself, Jerry was a "secret sister" to Joanne because Joanne's mother was actively concealing Jerry's crossdressing, but that's not much of a factor, in and of itself, in the story; for most of the story Karen's hardly a secret to Joanne or anyone else.

I'm puzzled as to why you plotted the story the way you did, with the readers getting information right along but Jerry/Karen being deprived of every basic detail. I thought perhaps we were being set up for some sort of emotional explosion, but no, Karen never caught on, or didn't care. Obviously I can't tell how others reacted, but it sure irritated me that his "loving relatives" were making all the decisions without even telling him what was happening. ("Turns out you're actually female, but we're not going to mention it to you because it'd only stress you out. Never mind that it means that your body and mind match up after all. It's not like that's important to your self-image or anything. And let's start the hormone shots without telling you what they are..." Makes me wish Lance had run THEM over, possibly with Karen cheering from the curb.)

The other thing is that it would seem to me that once Karen tests as XX, all the red tape about gender reassignment ought to be eliminated -- they're not changing her sex; they're surgically repairing an anatomical defect and redressing a hormone imbalance. (I don't know any more about it than you say you do, but presumably she wouldn't need estrogen shots, just anti-androgens to prevent the testosterone from overwhelming the estrogens she'd be producing naturally. Then again, you've left us totally unclear on what internal organs Karen has, and whether puberty was proceeding in either direction before the start of the story.)

(I guess it's trivial, but if the blood test at birth wasn't valid, we're left at square one with respect to the genetic defect that killed their brother. Then again, obviously Karen didn't die of it, and if she's sterile, which seems likely if her chromosones and anatomy don't match, she can't transmit it.)

A scene in the middle seems to be a non sequitur: it starts out with a report that Tom's trying on Karen's clothes and ends with Aunt Sharon asking Karen about "dressing up?", but in the scene itself Tom's presumably dressed normally (since he goes downstairs afterward without changing clothes), and he's trying to convince Karen to kiss him. (That's a little weird, too. Karen initiates it by asking him what it's like to be kissed and not accepting his answer. Why would she do that, if it's not because she wants Tom to kiss her?)

The part about Aunt Sharon being lesbian and the kids at the school all knowing about it seems odd, also. When would "the higher grade kids" have been in contact with her at all? She hasn't been Jerry's legal guardian for long. It's not THAT small a town, with at least two high schools.

I'm also having real trouble making the timing add up to the "some of it started 2 years ago (and) the rest started 8 months ago" of the opening section. There only seems to be five months at most between the attack at the mall and the end (the surgery from the car, three months' physical therapy, and "a month later" at the other hospital). I'm having trouble as well with the chronology for the first part of the story: I'm getting more like 11 months than 16 or 19, since the original car accident takes place after the school term has begun and Karen starts at the other school no more than four months later, after the holiday break. The shots start two to three months after that (in March) and Sharon tells us the trip to the mall occurs when she's been taking them for four months.

A lot of UKisms for a North American story -- had to look up "tannoy" on Google; I'd literally never seen the term before. Also "in hospital", "I reckon", "stay for tea", "on holiday", and of course the UK spellings throughout. (I assumed it was taking place in Canada, because of the spelling, but that didn't quite work either, or so it seemed to me. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Sorry to go on at such length; hope this is useful if you'd like to think the story through a bit further.

Eric

Good story!

A well told story with enough twists thrown in. It can be hard to be a TG or simply a crossdressing boy (I suppose I was more of the latter eventhough becoming a birth mother - an impossibility - has been my dream). You don't really understand why and the dressing is done in secrecy as in this story. The story might have benefitted with more Karen in the fore front - doing things as a girl (but then it would have become longer - so it's OK).

I don't really agree with Eric's criticism on that he wasn't told that he really is a she as she had felt all along. I mean this person was in a fragile state after a suicide attempt. Getting his hopes up that he can be an instant girl and then having to say no might have caused depression.

The lesbian bit was somewhat at odds with the story - perhaps Samantha had originally intended to have a lesbian lover for the aunt. Now it is only a reason to expell the bully and make him mad enough to eventually ran over Karen. Not very realistic and not even necessary - just enough bullying and harrassing Karen in the school would have had the bully expelled.

Didn't really check the timings so they can be at odds...

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

QUICK THANKS

This was a fun fantsy. It encompassed a lotof elementsfor such a short tale. Or, is it because you are laying groundwork for sequels?

Poor Lance, his prejudging and undisciplined behavior just wiped ou this whole life. I would be very surprised that a qualified prosecutor would not indict him for attempted murder and assault with a vehicle. These are, after all, not juveniles but young adults licensed to kill, er um, excuse me, drive

A really good story.

Samantha, I loved reading this. I was sorry for all of the prblems Karen had to suffer, but was very happy for both Karen and Tom, when Tom asked karen to marry him at the end.

The story does need to be continued tho, and even tho I'd like to help, I have to get Chrissie ready for the publisher, so I won't have any time.

Thank you Samantha, you have written another very fine story.

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

secret sister

wonderful