Different

Printer-friendly version
Different.png    
Different
an offering, November 20, 2009 - Day of Remembrance
by Roberta J. Cabot


Rita Hester is a hero, I heard them say. She did not do anything spectacular or heroic, but just lived her life as anyone should. But she was different.

And for that she was murdered.

Does that make her a hero?

Intolerance abound in the world, and many are just clueless enough to give vent to their ignorance and intolerance. Does their intolerance make her a hero?

Being different in a world that insists on conformity is a difficult proposition. To want to be different is one thing, and to be noticed for it another. Those who do it well - fashion icons, actors and actresses, politicians. They are rewarded for being different. To be different without wanting to be is totally another thing. Should one be rewarded for that? Is being involuntarily different something special that should be rewarded?

A soldier, a policeman, an ER surgeon, a suicide hotline operator, a fireman, a peace negotiator, a scientist, an explorer - these people make it their business to make a difference. Indeed, sometimes, when such people do make a difference, it is world-changing. Armistice Day, D-Day, 12th October, 1492, 20th July, 1969, 9-11. Days celebrated, days remembered, days mourned. World-changing days by world changers.

Words and phrases echo... "I have a dream." "Where there is love, there is life." "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." "Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not."

What about world changers who didn't want to be world changers? Perhaps that is the definition of a hero.

I think Rita didn't want to be a hero. I think all she wanted was to live her life.

We need to learn to accept each other more, learn to be open, learn to live and let live.

Other words echo... "November 20, 1998: Rita Hester, a transgender woman in Boston, MA, answered a knock at her door... an assailant forcibly entered... stabbed her over 20 times."

Rita would probably be happy if there are no more heroes.

Remember.

 

bobbie-signature3.png
up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

JUST

ALISON

TO SAY THANK YOU !!

ALISON

=[

read about this before, but it always makes me tear up a little.

Nicely done ... But, we do need heroes...

...even though those chosen to be it is the last thing on their minds to be.

Huggles Bobbie
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Maybe the heroes are still needed...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but they act and inspire for different reasons in different ways, yes? I can think of a few here on this site. You happen to be one of mine, dear heart. Con amore, mi niponte!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Dio benedica la mia bella amici

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena