Perspective

Printer-friendly version

Perspective
by FrACTured FrIEND

Pana Lharu grumbled as she stomped back to the hangar and prepped the Starkweather for takeoff, and didn't stop even as she went through her pre-flight list. She flipped switches with more force than necessary, she pounded buttons instead of pressing them. She even kicked the astrogation computer when it hitched briefly.

"Something wrong, sis?"

"Leave me alone, Gar. I'm not in the mood."

"Okay. What happened this time? Did we get stiffed for the delivery?"

She looked at him.

"... again?" he added.

Her look turned into a glare.

"You. Are. Not. Helping."

He raised his hands in a gesture of mock-surrender.

"Sorry, little sis, sorry, but... hey, it's not like we've been doing much more than making ends meet since Dad died, and I'm just a bit... concerned is all."

"Stuff it, Garwen. Look, you wanna know what happened? I met the client. He paid me. I started to leave, and a Rodian that smelled like a Wookiee made the 'anouncement' that there would be a transport leaving tomorrow to join the Rebellion. Like there aren't enough of those troublemakers already!"

"Ah."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just that... well, you know that the Rebels may have a good point."

"Don't you get me started, Gar! The Empire has been fine. It's only really a problem for the rich or dishonest people. Those of us earning an honest living aren't really affected."

"So you say."

"Look, you got a problem, brother dear?"

"No no... just... okay, fine. We're doing okay and you're right. The customers that have stiffed us have all been affiliated with the Rebellion. Maybe we can make some extra off of your serendipity?"

"My sara what now?"

"Look. We turn in the transport to the local outpost, we get the standing reward, we get on with our lives and head to Ryloth. A 'Wat Tambor' has work for us."

"And how pray tell, are we going to find the launch site?"

He grinned, "Why, sister mine, don't tell me you didn't know of my burning desire to join the Rebellion?"

She snorted.

"Would you believe... inform on the Rebellion?"

She chuckled and nodded at him, and he headed out the door to go make contact while she powered down again.

A few hours later, he came back. He told her where the rendezvous was, but then winced and headed toward the back of the ship.

"What's wrong, Garwen?"

"N-nothing. I, ah, pulled a muscle."

Then he fainted.

Pana rushed to him and ripped open his vest and shirt. There was a blaster burn taking up a large part of his right side.

"Gar? Garwen? Wake up, Gar!"

He opened his eyes, and smiled at her, lifted his hand and caressed her cheek... and then died in her arms.

The next few days went by in a fog. She had his ashes mounted in a permablock above the pilot's chair. The news of the Stormtroopers raiding the Rebel transport and capturing 87 traitors made her feel a bit better. He died for a good cause. Then she felt empty.

She needed to DO something... and she decided she'd join the Imperial army.

When she was told in no uncertain terms that she didn't fit the Fleet requirements to be a Stormtrooper, it confused her. She was the right height and weight and age and had all the abilities in the required ranges. After thinking about it, she realized what it was.

She was a woman.

Well, as she saw it at that moment, her choices were narrowed to two. She hires on help and continues in the cargo delivery business, or she somehow fakes her way into the Stormtroopers to honour her brother's memory.

It was no choice. She practiced lowering her voice as the medical droid onboard the Starkweather tightly bound her chest.

"Maybe it's another drill! *ahem* Maybe it's another drill! *ahem* Maybe it's another drill! Almost. Maybe it's another drill."


Would this be worthwhile to say, "To be continued," or just let it stand?

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Star Wars!

Taa ta ta Taah...

I'll take any amount of Star Wars fan fiction. Please, please, please write more and more and more....

Did anyone ever hear the audio play of "A New Hope"? (I think). I first heard it on our local NPR station. They also played "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I used to have some of the Star Wars on audio cassette tape. I still might have it somewhere.

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Sounds like an intriguing idea

even if FtM transformations really don't interest me. I've always been a fan of Star Wars, though I am much less of one now than I was about five or six years ago.

I'm assuming that this occurs the first time around with the Empire, rather than the second? For the general fan that would make more sense and keep things simple, but from a first glance AT the perspective of the story it almost seems like it's taking place during the Second Empire instead.

I'll be interested to see where you go with this, and to see what characters from the overall Star Wars universe you bring in, as either Empire has their share of iconic characters.

Melanie E.

Prior to A New Hope

is when this is set. Luke is still at Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's farm on Tattooine, having his Beru Stew and dreaming of going with Biggs to join the empire... as soon as they pick up some Power Converters from Tashi Station.
Tanstaafl,
FrACTured FrIEND


Tanstaafl,
FrACTured FrIEND