A Blast from the Past -1-

Printer-friendly version


“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
The last words of The Great Gatsby
 
A Blast From The Past

Part 1

By Ginger Collins


 
It started out as a relaxing morning at a highly recommended hair salon, Lana’s. Lana, by the way is actually, Syvetlana, a vivacious Russian lady who came to the United States about 10 years ago and after two successful divorces had the financial wherewithal to open her own retro style salon on Geary St in downtown San Francisco near Union Square. It’s a small shop, very cozy, and the various chairs, stations, and old-fashioned hair dryers are close together. As a result, gossiping among the clientele is the norm and essentially non-stop. You don’t come here expecting quiet contemplation while you are primped and pampered. Because this was my first visit to Lana’s, thankfully, a gal pal had given me a heads up.

I was there for a major up-do and was chatting gaily with a waitress from the Cliff House who was getting some highlights done. It was all very superficial and delicious. She was young and unabashed and was waxing forth on the joys of her new vibrator when I tensed slightly as I thought I recognized a familiar voice from across the cramped quarters complaining about the imperfections of men. Soon and to my instant discomfort, the voice joined a tall, slender body as the woman came into view to join me under an adjacent hair dryer. She was middle-aged, well maintained, and expensively dressed. I read her dress as a Vera Wang and I could clearly hear her Jimmy Choos as she elegantly weaved her way through traffic to join me. She was toned, buffed, and virtually wrinkle free.

It had been more than 15 years since we had last met and that had been in a lawyer’s office on Montgomery St. I knew there was not the slightest chance that she would recognize me so I relaxed a little and let memories overwhelm me. My silence was immediately noticed as my newly arrived companion commented, “Gee, Hon, you’re awfully quiet. This must be your first trip to Lana’s.”

“It is,” I murmured. To my immense relief, our hookups to the dryers prevented eye contact. She hadn’t introduced herself, but I knew that fate had just seated Sara next to me after an absence of a decade-and-a half. Truly, the gods were laughing!

Their laughter must have erupted into cheering as she launched into a self-serving monologue that seemed endless. Despite her updated version, I had heard a lot of it before. About the only new thing I learned was that after Lana’s, she was going to the Fairmont for a mid-afternoon cocktail. That would be preceded and followed by stops at charity events. Ah, the idle rich!

Understandably, then, I was not caught off guard when she launched into a diatribe against her first husband, Michael, whom she caught cross dressing one early afternoon in her posh Pacific Heights mansion. With great sarcasm and explicit detail she described his humiliation and remorse. She wrapped up this segment with obvious delight by saying, “Needless to say, I divorced the little fairy. Can you believe it? He said his femme name was Michelle. Give me a break!” Lana and other patrons were laughing. Fortunately, my dryer time was up so there was temporary refuge from this harridan as I was now whisked away to a new station where Lana worked her hair styling magic on me and I had new companions with which to share girl talk.

In an hour or so, Lana coaxed the last resisting strand of my usual blowsy hair into perfect place and I was left purring at my image in the mirror. Dog gone it, I looked good! My Macy’s dress and heels were not on a scale like Sara’s, but I was a happy woman and I could hear myself roar inside. I gave Lana a million-candle watt smile and a generous tip that she was not expecting. Then with an inner confidence and dignity I didn’t know I possessed, I walked up behind Sara who was at a hairdresser station two chairs removed from where I had been. “How do I look, babe,” I asked.

“Terrific, Honey. Your man is going to get it off tonight. By the way, what’s your name? Mine’s Sara.”

“I know,” I replied with a wry smile.

“How, dear?” I had gotten her attention as her nearly perfect brow furrowed and wrinkles appeared.

I leaned forward so that I could whisper in her ear, “Because my name is Michelle. Years ago before our divorce when you were balling me, it used to be Michael.” I pirouetted, did my best television commercial impression of a hair flip, and sauntered out the door like a runway model. My adrenaline was in overdrive and I was in the zone. I decided to hell with my afternoon return to work. Instead, I’d catch a cable car to Aquatic Park and sip an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista Café. Life was good and getting better.

Finis

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Meeow!!

But sometimes it's worth being catty :)

lovely

Geoff

Simply Delicious

Gutted with all the panache of a Benihana chef :-)
And thanks for making me homesick.

Nice One !

That was superb - you packed so much into such a small piece, yet that made it even sharper !

Wow!

Briar

Briar

Short, sweet, And very

Short, sweet, And very enjoyable !!!

Kirri

If That

Is a picture of Michelle, she made the right choice. But she should have poured a bucket of ice on her too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Funny

I was thinking/hoping it might be a picture of the ex-wife. Yuck! ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Meeeoooowww

The story "felt" like San Francisco... I recently visited, and recognized many of the landmarks. LOL

Thanks for an "interesting" take on things. Personally, had I been in Michelle's shoes, I think I might just have said thanks and left it at that. Then, if I really felt like doing something, I MIGHT (no guarantee here) have sent a little note to Sara, describing what Sara was having done to her, but not giving her a clue WHO had seen her. Nah, I'd have just left it - considering her someone better ignored than confronted.

Fun to wathc/read though.

Thanks,
Annette

Sucessful Divorce?

Now there is a classic line! Me-ow!

Given that the shop people were laughing at Sara's story about her "fairy" first husband, I take it Michelle won't be going back to Lana's shop? I know I wouldn't, I'd be worried about what kind of reception I'd get after her ex told eveybody who the "woman" was.

Good point and I don't know

Good point and I don't know the answer. Maybe Sara would be too embarassed to acknowledge that her ex-husband (Michael) had become a successful trans woman (Michelle) and, therefore, she, Sara, would be mute on the subject. Then, again, maybe Sara's cattiness, artificiality, and inherent ugliness will prevail and her revenge will reign supreme. If so, Michelle had better choose another beauty salon. Perhaps a sequel is in order?

Perhaps a sequel is in order?

Speaking purely for myself, you understand, I don't have a problem with that idea. Knock yourself (and us) out, baby!

Sequel, Sequel

RAMI

For good stories, which this is, a sequel is always welcomed.

Rami

RAMI

I tend to agree...

...that Sara would be too embarrassed. You would think that, even after 15 years, she would have recognized her ex-husband. The fact that she complimented Michelle and didn't even realize who it was standing in front of her shows that she didn't.

I think Michelle probably will patronize Lana's shop again in the future. After all, this story is set in San Francisco; and the odds are that Michelle wasn't the only trans woman in the shop that day.

This was a delightful short story. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jenny

Jenny

Sock it to her

RAMI

Michelle really socked it to Sara. Good for her. I think read this story somewhere else. If so it's an oldie and a goodie. If not, it's a great new story.

Rami

RAMI

If you have read this story

If you have read this story someplace else, I hope that my version was different and refreshing. In a narrow genre such as ours (TG), it is easy to overlap another author's theme. For example, how many variations are there of: I want to be a girl? Thus, if I have unintentionally intruded upon another writer's turf without appropriate attribution, I apologize. Plagiarism is not my style. Neither are short skirts and clunky shoes. My niche consists of long, lacy slips, open-bottom girdles, seamed hose, and happy M2F transitions. Retro, jaunty hats, gloves, and large purses are also associated with me when I go shopping downtown in Union Square or for a martini at the St. Francis.

I guess I was wrong

RAMI

I guess I was wrong. I am sure what-ever I read was different. Yes I enjoyed your story, and in fact called for a sequel.

There is currently a blog posted here that discusses the various themes of TG literature. This story is just one of many.

Rami

RAMI

A Classic

joannebarbarella's picture

Ginger Collins story. Much too short and very funny. I think her revenge would have worked only too well on a bitch so full of herself,
Joanne

Cute little story

Ginger, Well done. Thanks and hugs, Wendy

Wendy Marie

ah very nice

kristina l s's picture

Lovely little piece with just enough description to make them breathe. I must admit though that I do have this small slightly evil wish that Michelle, instead of whispering, had spoken loud and proud. Naughty of me I know. But hey, a very minor quibble if that's what it is. Tis lovely as it stands and my thought might be too much cat.

Thanks Ginger.

Kristina

I go away for a few days....

.... and come back to find a gem!! Thank you Ginger....

Love Ginger! xx

A re-reading....

... and now I know how much I enjoyed it first time round.... can't wait to read the following chapters! Thank you so much, love Ginger xx