Snippets 2

Printer-friendly version

Snippets 2

Melanie Ezell

Another pair of short pieces, unconnected but too short to really post on their own. Hope you like 'em!

---

-The Ivory Bangle-

It was a beautiful object to look at, Darren thought as he turned the clunky piece of jewelry over and over in his hands. The intricate engravings covering the creamy surface depicted a flowing flower and vines motif, and the weight felt comforting in his hands. But why had his grandmother willed it to him, of all people?

Darren had loved his grandmother dearly. Of all the grandchildren on his father's side of the family, he had been her favorite, or at least so she claimed when the two of them were alone together on the frequent occasions he had made his way to the home to visit her. He had suspected this had only been her loneliness talking since hardly any of the rest of the family ever seemed to visit her, but it still made him feel special. He always loved talking to her, listening to her tales of world war two, growing up during war time, and how different things had been as a teenager in the fifties than they were now. She always had a story about his father to tell him as well, giving him the sense of having known the man despite the fact that he had died shortly after Darren was born.

He was the only grandchild at her funeral, and it had hurt him deeply to see that he was one of only a handful of relatives to show up at all. The will reading had been a different matter all together, however, with every member of the family showing up to claim any piece of her estate they could get their hands on. Much of what she had owned went to her children, as was to be expected, but the only other person to receive anything was Darren. He had been surprised to receive anything at all, and per her wishes had held off from opening the wooden box he had been handed until he was alone. Once in his car, he had removed the decorative lid to find the bangle sitting there, wrapped in black velvet. She had worn this every day, as far as he could remember, and the significance of the gift touched him deeply.

Darren felt the hot tears burning his eyes again as he thought of her, and absently lifted his arm to wipe his face, knocking the box to the floorboards of his car. He cursed himself as he bent down to retrieve it, to find that the velvet had fallen out, uncovering an envelope taped to the bottom of the box, with 'Darren' written across its face in bold letters. Carefully, he removed the note from within, and began to read.

'Dear Darren,

First of all, I want to let you know how much I love you. I always looked forwards to your visits to me, and near the end, it was wanting to see you again that gave me the strength to continue on. I am sorry that I am not around to see you any more, but one day, I am sure we will be together to talk again.

I wanted you to have this bangle for a reason. While the family does not like to talk about it, I know you have heard about why much of the family ignores or hates me. After my wife, your Grandmother Edith, died, I thought long and hard about my decision before going ahead with my transition. It was a difficult decision, and I am not going to say I have never regretted it when faced with the disapproval and lack of understanding from my own children, but I felt it was necessary, and in the end, those regrets were short lived.

Of all our family, you father, and after his death, you and your mother, were the only ones who never held my decision against me, and who always accepted me no matter what. This is why I have given you this bangle- it belonged to my late wife, Edith, and has for years been my way of remembering and honoring her. She knew of my fight with who I was inside, and before her death, it was she who told me to pursue my happiness. This bangle has been passed down through her family for generations, to the eldest grand daughter. On her death bed, she gave it to me, to hold until it was time to pass it on to our own eldest granddaughter. Unfortunately, none of your cousins have proven worthy of the gift this bracelet really is, so I am passing the legacy to you.

Thank you, my beautiful grandson, for all the love you have given me. Please, be happy in your own life, and never let the prejudices of those around you steer you away from who you are.

Love,

Grandma Patty'

Darren smiled through the tears after reading the letter, and carefully folded it before returning it to the envelope. Replacing the note and velvet within the box, he ran his fingers over the bangle before placing it inside as well and closing the lid. He started the car and slowly pulled out of the parking lot of the lawyer's office, making his way home. He had much to prepare for. He would take his grandmother's advice, and live to make himself happy.

And he had a dress at home that would match the bangle perfectly.

---

-Blues-

People come from miles around to hear her. Every weekend she does two sets, both to packed houses, and always performed in the same perfect style.

The lights dim, and she steps forwards from the back. Mickey at the piano, Fry with his steel guitar, and Serena on the drums are all in spotlight, wearing their customary white suits, but she prefers to start her shows in the darkness. With the opening wailing riff on the guitar, the lounge goes quiet, and the show begins. Swaying from side to side, she moves to the music, her silhouette undulating across the stage. After the first few bars, the crowd is set, and she begins to sing in her deep, breathy voice. Today she has chosen to open with 'Stormy Monday'. "They call it Stormy Monday; but Tuesday's just as bad..."

As the crowd is absorbed by the music, the lights on stage slowly begin to rise in intensity. The sparkle of her silver dress draws the eyes to her, and every night there are gasps from the crowd as guests see her for the first time. Her six foot four frame is intimidating to behold, with her broad shoulders putting the lie to her feminine appearance. Yet none would dare call the creature before them, pouring her heart into the words of the song she sings, anything other than a woman. With tears in her eyes she wails into the microphone before her, and the crowd feels the pain of the music. Her voice, so powerful, is like a siren song, drawing them in and seducing even the hardiest of spirits. They love her, and she loves them. She moves on, bringing just as much spirit into her performance of 'Let's Go Get Stoned'. The sweat pours off her dark skin as she gives it her all, song after song, and at the end of the night, the crowd claps and begs for more. She always gives an encore.

After her performance is finished, she walks into the crowd around the stage and makes her way to the bar. Those who had been cheering for her a moment before part to let her through, some in reverence, others in fear. The bartender always has her drink ready, and she always drinks it in silence. Despite her performance, no customer dares talk to the menacing figure she cuts when off the stage. Were they to, they would find someone caring and compassionate, who appreciates their company and loves to talk. But none ever try. As Mickey, Fry, and Serena finish packing up and approach the bar for their own drinks, they are surrounded by customers applauding their performance and offering to buy them drinks or something more. They pass her a pitying glance as they mingle, but make no effort to join her in her solitude.

At the end of the night, she goes home alone.

Every weekend, she sings the blues. Every week, she lives them. Soon she will know the blues so well, she will have no need to perform at all.

---

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Two great snippets

RAMI

Both stories were interesting and well written.

Did Grandma Patty, know the truth about Darren? Was he close to her because of his own struggle? Did his mom support grandma, because she knew the truth about her son? Since it's a snippet guess we wont know, but this could be the prelude to a separate story about Darren and his/her own transition.

Mickey, Fry and Serena may accompany her, but they do not seem to be her friends.

RAMI

RAMI

Two to make...

...you pause, then wish for more. But as Rami notes, they're ain't no more. Melanie has shifted the burden to our shoulders, should we want to further explore.

Grandma Patty and I seem to be about the same age. Maybe I will eventually go exploring as she did. Too bad there's no grandchild with whom to form a close relationship, but there are always other people to love.

A "snippet," eh? Glad this one made it to Big Closet rather than the ragbag.

Short, intense, bittersweet with a gentle twist at story ends

What's not to like?

-- Wom wom wom wom wom wom SPLAT! --

You're right, pickled octopus are rubbery. Still can't get that scene out of my head from a while back in Echos. Your muse still back on track or do you need me to give it another dope slap?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Compacted

Rasufelle,

I am just amazed at how much feeling you can pack into two such short pieces. I started to wish that they were much longer but then remembered the one about the person who wrote a letter to a relative that said "... sorry to have written you at such length, but I didn't have time to write a short one."

Briar

Briar

Substantial

laika's picture

Calling these snippets makes them sound like they're going to be something trivial.
These are excellent stories, with heart and brains, and worth posting independantly.
Maybe they're not long but they're full blown sagas compared to a drabble.
#1 was really really touching, and #2 WAS the blues. You betcha.
~~~hugs, Laika

Snippets 2

Both are bittersweet. I can see Darren becoming Daria and singing the Blues

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine