First Outing

Printer-friendly version

This is a drabble (a 100 word story) about a first trip out of the house dressed as a girl.

First Outing
Copyright 2009 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Walking down the street to the gas station for a Coke sounded like a simple first outing while dressed as a girl. It probably would have been if I hadn't lost my temper with the soda machine.

"Can I help you?" asked the station attendant as he approached.

"M-my change," I stammered as my heart thudded behind my ribs.

He nodded understanding, then reached into his pocket, opened my hand, and placed a quarter in my palm. "Sorry about that, mam," he said with a warm, friendly smile.

My hand was still tingling as he turned to help another customer.

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

re: First Outing

Sweet, understated but shows the fear of the first trip out. I hope others find their first trips as rewarding as that one

Karen

Only a single comment so far?

Some authors need many pages to write about the first 'outdoor' experience, but you Heather have the rare talent to put everything, all the emotions, the fear, the relieve of not being read and the rush of when you get a compliment into very few sentences.

It was awesome.

Thank you very much, Heather, and happy easter to you.

Saphira
--
>> There is not one truth only out there. <<

--
>> There is not one single truth out there. <<

I'd like to buy the world a coke

Something as simple and everyday as a walk to the corner drug store for a soda, isn't so simple when it's your first time out dressed as who you truly are.

Well done cuz. Nobody and I mean nobody does it better than you when it comes to the short story and the drabble. How you pack so much into one hundred words or less is beyond me, but I wish you'd teach me your secret. It would save me loads of typing, giggle.

It was clear, heart felt, realistic ... totally spot on beautiful.

thanks and love Maggie