Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 598.

Printer-friendly version
       
Whistling Dodos
(aka Bike)
Part 598
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

When I got upstairs, Simon was seated on the bed rubbing his chest. “How do you feel now?” I asked as I entered our bedroom.

“I’ve felt better,” he said looking up at me.

“Is there anything you want me to do?”

“There might have been before you tried to kill me.”

“I did say I was sorry.”

“Yeah, I heard, unfortunately it doesn’t take the pain away in my ribs.”

“Oh dear, I hope I didn’t break any.”

“I don’t think so, but there will be some lovely colours about later.”

“There will?”

“Bruising–duh.”

“Oh, yeah.” I blushed, feeling rather stupid.

“You not going to offer to kiss it better, then?”

“I–um–didn’t know if you trusted me anymore.”

“I don’t know either.”

“Tell me what you’d like me to do.”

“Go away?”

“If that’s what you want, I will.” I began to sniff as I walked away from him he let me get out of the bedroom before he called me.

“Cathy.”

“Yes, Simon.”

“Are you going to stand there and shout back and forth?”

“Is that what you want me to do?” I called back.

“Does it look like it?”

“I don’t know? Please tell me.”

“Come back here, Cathy.” I walked back to the bedroom. I was still sniffing and feeling like dirt. “Why are you crying?”

“Because…” I blubbed.

“Come here, you silly girl,” he said holding out his arms and I went to them, where he hugged me gently and I tried not to lean too hard against him. I wept on his shoulder as he held me. “Friends?” he said quietly.

“Friends,” I sniffed back to him, and he kissed me on the cheek, which of course only made me weep even more. I felt a total mess, which seemed to be my permanent state these days.

“Come on, dry those tears,” he urged me, which caused me to produce some more. Sometimes I wonder if the same words mean different things to men and women. Eventually, I managed to control the flow before there was a water shortage in the Portsmouth area, or would that be flooding?

“What are we going to do with you?” he asked me.

I shrugged and mouthed, “Don’t know,” which made him put his arm around me–which in turn made him wince, and me blush.

“Come on, dry your eyes, let’s go and take the girls out for a walk.”

Which is what we did, and bought some chips and ate them on the way home, something I hadn’t done since I was a student in Sussex. The girls seemed to enjoy themselves, pinching chips from both of us, and of course, the bottomless pit which most spaniels constitute, doubly enjoyed herself as she walked with us. I had Tom’s meal in a plastic bag–one I’d intended using for picking up any dog poo Kiki produced, but it wasn’t necessary until we got nearly back to the garden and she pooped on the pavement. I dashed inside and grabbed another bag and cleaned it up.

Tom enjoyed his chicken curry from the take away, he hadn’t had one for a few weeks, so by the end of the day, we all seemed to have finished on an even note if not necessarily a high one.

Simon put the girls to bed and read them a story, then he did some work on his laptop until it was our bed-time. Tom sneaked into his study and sent some more emails to Pippa’s computer despite his supposedly being on sick leave. I did the washing up and also put the washing machine on. I wondered if my academic career was over, then when I checked my emails I found one from Erin.

‘The BBC are ecstatic about the re-editing of the Dormouse film and are planning a big wind up to it. It will be shown at the end of June. They’ve also agreed our price for it and their recommendation has persuaded an Irish TV station to show it, a Canadian one to seriously consider it and we’re talking to the Aussies. As yet we haven’t had any interest from the US but France and Spain could be possible takers.

They’ll want the BBC edition, so the Beeb will get a percentage, but we’re looking at over  £100,000 if all the others buy in and that’s clear profit as the bank and DEFRA funded the outgoings.

Talk to you soon, oh keep next Saturday free, there’s probably going to be a party in Bristol at the Natural History Unit to celebrate. I’ve certainly earned my fees on this one.

Erin.’

I showed it to Simon and Tom. “Well you wanted to show the girls your house in Bristol,” Simon commented.

“Yes, we could make a weekend of it.”

“Okay, but the bad news is, I have to start back to work tomorrow.”

“Oh, do you?” I don’t know why I was so surprised, he should have gone weeks ago.

“Why don’t you come up to London with me.”

“I can’t can I, I have to look after the girls.”

“I meant, bring them with you, I’m sure you’d find plenty to do with them.”

“No, I need to stay here for the moment, to visit Stella and the baby, and of course your dad. Oh the machine’s finished, some of that is his stuff.” I got up to empty the machine and put the damp laundry on the airer. He followed me out to the kitchen.

“You’re going to look after this baby for Stella, aren’t you?”

“I don’t know yet, but I might. She certainly isn’t in a fit state to do so for the moment, is she?”

“No, she looked ghastly when I saw her, like something out of horror film. Is she gonna make it back this time?”

“Simon, she’s your sister, of course she’s going to make it and we’re going to do all we can to help her.”

“Yeah, s’pose. C’mon, let’s go to bed and do naughty things.”

“What about your chest.”

“I’ll bring it with me, why?”

“If you squeak too much that it’s hurting, and we should have behaved ourselves…”

“It’s usually you who squeaks that,” he said as he winked.

“Only ‘cos you bit my boob last time.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Don't know why ...

... Cathy found it necessary to get another bag to clear up after Kiki. She could have used the same one and Tom wouldn't have noticed, I'm sure. Is there all that much difference between dog's discards and chicken curry from a take-away? I wouldn't have thought so and it would have added a little je ne sais quoi to the meal :)

Thanks Angharad.

Geoff

Eeewwww Gross!

Really, Geoff! How could you?

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Thinking

Here I am finished with your daily update, and I am ashamed to say that I wish you wrote faster!! :) I know it sounds wierd but I think that is high praise!! Cathy is headed towards a giant train wreck!!! Thanks to you for keeping this going!!

Funny!

I love your chapter names, for what that's worth.

Me too !

Though the series is more like Wobbling Doodlebugs - aimed with just as much accuracy I say ;-). One never knows if the darn thing will make it to target !

Kim

Train wreck

I keep thinking that too then I think of little baby Desi and somehow have to believe that Cathy will be there to take care of her and will do a really great job of it. Blue lights and all.

Train Wreck? Mebbe, But I Say

That Cathy will learn to cope along with Simon. Because as her hubby to be, he should learn when she needs a breather and more. Basically, do what Stella did.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

One might feel a wee bit...

they voyer... Peeking in on the lives of those that have it better, and worse, than we do... Such an engrosing story. One never quite knows where it'll turn next.

Cathy DOES need to manage to get some help dealing with her anger issues. I had THOUGHT she was doing a little better. *sighs*

Thanks,
Annette

Yes she needs to deal with

Yes she needs to deal with it.

Sadly, Cathy shows signs all to often seen in children of abusive parents. Her father resorted to violence as the first response to anything, and now Cathy is doing the same. It's not just anger management she needs to learn, but also understand how and why she reacts the way she does. Otherwise, worrying about the children will be a moot point, she won't get to keep them.

Janice

Abusive people,

Sadly, it is a legacy that is often handed down. It seems Cathy is suffering from this, but maybe she can get help before it is too late.

Marrage

Now we've gotten over our fights, and I presume Stella will recover. I accidentally cheated, and read the 1st two paragraphs of a current chapter. I've been baad. I still don't know about Tom though.

So when's the marriage!

Movie Star !

He's got them too, bite him back, The kids will love the house in Bristol.

Cefin