My First What?

Printer-friendly version

I was taking Algebra in school and hated it. I also didn’t like the teacher saying ‘One day your life may depend on your ability to perform simple calculations’.

My First What?

By BrandieS


 

I lived with my Mom and Gram on a farm. There’s just the three of us and we keep the place running. Some of the fields have been rented out to nearby farms, but we have enough left over for pasture and growing our own food. We plant a big garden and have an Apple orchard, too. Everyday it’s up early to feed the chickens and milk the cows, then the cows are let out to pasture. The hogs are slopped in the evening and in between there is weeding the garden, pruning trees as needed and other work to keep us all occupied. As I am the youngest I get to do a lot of the stuff that Mom and Gram can’t. I don’t complain and it’s actually a lot of fun.

When I was 14 years old I weighed 95 pounds and stood 5 feet tall. I desperately wanted to grow. I was a size 14 and hoped that I could get some bigger kids clothes. With a 32 inch chest, a 24 inch waist and 32 and a half inch hips, I looked forward to further developing. Mom said I had a nice figure and even tormented me by measuring me for a bra.

After her measurements were done, she did the math. She actually used Algebra and thought it was funny. Funny to her because I was taking Algebra in school and hated it. I also didn’t like the teacher saying ‘One day your life may depend on your ability to perform simple calculations’. My English teacher would have enjoyed the irony of those two pieces of my life. Mom finisher her calculations and pronounced that I was a size 34A bra. This set her off laughing and that brought in Gram. When she heard mom laughing, she wanted to know why and she laughed too after mom told her.

When it was time for new clothes, they both offered to buy me my first bra. I declined the offer as gracefully as I could. However, soon my family knew about it and then friends of mom and Gram. You can figure out what happened next. Yup, joke time for all. I spent the school year with my face stuck in a book afraid to look at anybody.

When I needed new clothes, I made sure that I kept mom away from the Bra aisle. But somehow, she’d manage to maneuver us towards the lingerie. She even suggested matching panties. As much as this hurt my feelings, if mom had treated it differently I might have relented and gotten different underwear. My regular underwear were getting uncomfortable and some of the newer styles were more form fitting. They resembled the Speedo bathing suits that hugged the hips and were worn off the waist. I looked, but said nothing. The rest of my clothing could have easily been worn by either a boy or a girl. I saw a lot of the girls buying boys and men’s jeans. When mom would mention that, I’d still avoid a bra.

Ask any parent and they’ll tell you that all kids outgrow everything as soon as it’s bought. Shoes, shirts, pants, whatever it is, kids outgrow it before the tag comes off. I was no different and continued to grow. At 15, I was 5 feet 3 inches and 110 pounds. By age 16, I was 5 feet 6 inches and almost 120 pounds, and then when I hit 17 years old, I was 5 feet 7 inches tall and 126 pounds. I thought I looked good. Mom measured me and I was 34 inches in the chest, mom had measured me at the nipple line. I also had a 26 inch waist and 35 inches for hips. I was a bowling pin. Mom took another measurement at what she called the ‘band line’ and said that was 32 inches. Mom was just doing the measurement to kid me, but said the numbers weren’t right. She had Gram check and the numbers were the same.

Mom told me that the numbers showed that I was a 34B bra size. I laughed at her and said I was just getting some muscles. She just smiled that mom smile and poked her finger on my chest. It hurt. The flesh was not firm, but soft and movable. Well ok, it jiggled a little. Mom actually squeezed it and that caused a lot of pain. Then mom did something that was completely crazy. Without saying anything, she took off her blouse. She stood there in her bra looking at me. She took my hand and placed it on her bra and proceeded to tell me all about bras and wearing them. She even took it off and handed it to me. I was too stunned to talk. I just took it from her hands. She said she was a 34C and to try it on.

I held it up and looked at it then at mom. She smiled and took it out of my hands and under her direction I was soon wearing a bra. I actually had to admit that my chest felt better. The bra was a little big, but not too big. With the shoulder straps adjusted for my size, my chest felt better. Also my shirt didn’t rub against my nipples and irritate them. That night mom took me shopping.

So that’s it. That’s the story of how I wore my first bra. Now I wear one all of the time. Well most of the time. I use a Sports Bra as needed and I have learned about push-up, underwire and demi bras too. I’m not an expert so don’t ask technical questions. I’m just a normal 17 year old girl trying to live a normal life.
 


 

up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

BrandieS, Nice "hook" to the

BrandieS,
Nice "hook" to the story and a very nice twist at the end. Well done. J-Lynn

I tried

to get it right. Just the right amount of uncertainty. Thanks for reading

Nebulous

I like the way this can be read as either the story of a tomboy finally accepting that she's becoming a woman, or of a boy in transition.

Sometimes

nebulous is the best. I enjoyed writing this one. Thank you for reading it.

Cute twist

I had thought this was about a boy until the end. You see, as I was growing up I had an unusual figure for a boy. When I was 11 years old I was a whopping 95lbs., wet. When I graduated High School, I was 5'10" and an amazing 135lbs and couldn't put on an ounce to save my life. A couple years later I was the same height and weight and was learning to SCUBA dive and had a rough time finding a suit to fit. I ended up wearing a ladies suit and had to put up with a cold chest. Once I was certified to dive, I had a custom suit made for me. My measurements where 36" chest, 28' waist and 36' hips. Needless to say, the guy taking my order was hard pressed to believe these where correct but I insisted that they where and to just order my suit. It fit like a glove and I enjoyed many warm dives in the Puget Sound (this is the inlet area around Seattle, Washington).

Huggles,

Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

Of course

This story only "works" because you are tricking the reader. If the proper keywords were used there wouldn't even be a story. Not that there is, anyway; and April 1st is still two weeks away.

Yuri!

Yuri!

Cute but the Tags Give It Away

terrynaut's picture

The story tags give this one away but I still like it. Sometimes a little ambiguity is good. :)

Thanks.

- Terry

I'm aways suspicious ...

... when writers appear to withhold vital information, in this case, the gender of the protagonist. However it was cleverly done and it helps that gender confusion is the order of the day here. I like it :)

A friend once wrote a story about spousal violence. It wasn't until the very end of a brutal story that she revealed that it was the wife who was beating her husband. As here, she went to great lengths to use gender neutral terms without alerting the readers.

Thanks

Geoff

Very cute and unexpected.

I agree that this story can be read two different ways. Either as tomboy who didn't like bras at all, or a boy in transition, or just starting transition. This is a cute story, with an unexpected ending. The plot has just enough mystery to keep the reader reading, and the images are very vivid that puts the reader right in the story "seeing" everything the young person is talking about. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forebearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

My First What Reminds Me Of

Two cartoon characters renown for being beanpole women: Ethel from Archie Comics, and Olive Oyl from Popeye. But THIS girl seems a bit better off.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cute story, Brandie

I have to say, that I was never really fooled, but only because the thought
popped into my head at the beginning, and it was still a fun little read.

Thank You!

Sarah Lynn