Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 581.

Printer-friendly version
       
Wheedling Dingoes
(aka Bike)
Part 581
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

“I suppose I’ll have to start saving for the wedding,” said Tom, looking anything but worried about it.

“No probs, the bank will take care of it, we always get married up in the parish church near the estate.”

“Do I get a say in this?” I asked, feeling very alienated and angry.

“Course you do, it’s your day after all,” said Tom, and Simon nodded.

“I’m being married by a lovely lady I met a year or so ago.”

“I thought you were marrying me?” joked Simon.

“The lady’s name is Marguerite, and I asked her to marry me–she’s a priest–when we spoke in her church.”

“But we have a tradition of marrying in Stanebury church.”

“Well, you go and get married there, and I’ll go and see Marguerite. Goodnight.” I went off on a strop up to my bed. I didn’t even kiss Tom goodnight, and I especially didn’t kiss Simon. The way I felt he was acting, he could have his ring back any time he wanted.

I washed and changed into my nightdress and went to see the kids, straightening up their beds and kissing them gently. These were my life now, Simon would have to learn to take second place in my attention. I also decided that I wouldn’t be making the harvest mouse film, so I’d call Alan and Erin tomorrow and tell them.

I didn’t feel like sleeping with Simon tonight, so I climbed in with Mima and held her close to me.

“What are you doing in here?” hissed Simon.

“She was restless.” I lied so easily some days it frightened me.

“Come on to bed,” he hissed again, “or are you going to act like a spoilt brat all night?”

“What do you mean?” I replied walking out of the girl’s bedroom, “You’re a fine one to talk about spoilt brats.”

“Well, you did a very good example of if we can’t play what I want, I’m taking my ball home.”

“Did I now? Well, Mr bloody perfect, you’ve obviously forgotten that I told you ages ago that I wanted to be married in Marguerite’s little church, in Gloucestershire.”

“Did you? Sorry, I’d forgotten.”

“So it seems.”

“Can we discuss this like adults in the morning?” he asked me.

“I won’t change my mind.”

“You won’t bow to five hundred years of tradition?”

“Why should I?”

“Because I’m asking you to.”

“So your bloody ancestors are more important than what I want?”

“No, this done for the living, not the dead.”

“At this moment, I wish I was one of the latter.”

“Sorry, but I am not marrying a stiff,” said Simon, trying to inject some humour into the conversation.

“Neither am I, in fact I don’t think I’ll be marrying anyone.”

“You just told me you would.”

“If this is what marriage to you would be like, where I’m treated like a child and taken for granted…”

“Maybe it’s because you act like a child.”

“Hark, who’s bloody talking,” I slammed back at him, voices were becoming raised and we were in danger of waking the children.

In fact, Tom came up to ask us to turn it down. “Look, I know you need to sort these things out, but you’re going to wake the girls.”

“Bugger the girls, this is more important …” I don’t know if Simon realised what he’d said, he was getting very very angry, and Tom’s intrusion just added petrol to the blaze.

His comment stuck a knife straight through my heart. I went to my jewellery box, picked up the ring he gave me, and grabbing his hand with my left one, shoved it firmly into his hand. “I’d like you to leave,” I said and walked out of the room.

“Cathy, Cathy, look … can we discuss this …” I ignored his pleas and shut myself in Stella’s room and locked the door. I sat on the bed feeling totally gutted, and then the tears came and I just howled.

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up sometime later feeling totally bereft and confused. It took me a moment to work out where I was. I wasn’t lying in bed, but across it and on top of it. I was cold and sitting up rubbed my arms. I remembered bit by bit; Simon and I had had an awful row and I gave him his ring back and told him to go. Why? Because I was a fool and he’d insulted my children, or as near as I’d ever have to children of my own. Also, he’d been rather insensitive in telling me where we were getting married–up in f*~#king Scotland, ‘cos that’s what his porridge eating ancestors did–the ones who didn’t get hanged for cattle rustling.

He ought to know, I’m as wilful as he is. If someone tells me to do something, I do the opposite. My father, him that was married to my mother, told me to stop wearing girl’s clothes, look where that got him and me.

Life was total shit, if it wasn’t for the girls, I’d have walked out in front of the first truck that came past the house. I felt that wonderful; but because I had two little lives to support, I had to do my duty to them. They’d both been let down by their mothers before–I wasn’t going to do that. I’d given them my word–but what was that worth now? I’d also given it to Simon, and look what happened. I felt about as low as I’d ever done.

Perhaps I’d argued with Simon because I wasn’t really a woman. They can do all sorts of amazing surgery, and I can change my birth certificate, but that didn’t really make me a woman, did it? I mean, my chromosomes are still XY and I can’t have babies or periods.

A real woman would have accepted what her husband to be wanted and supported him. That’s what women do, let their husbands take the lead and build their lives around their hubbies and kids. I wasn’t prepared to do that, so I can’t have been a real woman. Instead I was a failed man who’d mutilated his body and duped two children into believing I, an emasculated man, could replace their mothers. Ha, what stupid, barefaced arrogance was that? Typical of a bloke, that’s what. So that’s what I must still be, despite no meat and two veg and these lumps of fat on my chest, I’m still a bloke.

I lay back down on the bed and cried some more, some of it was self pity, some was self loathing, some was regret that I’d misled the children, and some was bereavement–I’d lost the one person I thought I’d be with until one or other of us died. Feeling like shit was an understatement–so I cried some more.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Get a grip!

Cathy IS behaving like a spoiled 3 year old. Mind you, Simon isn't much better. Marriage is a compromise, and either they start learning how or they are better off apart.

Cathy And Simon Both

Need to see a marriage counselor before they tie the knot.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Tieing the Knot?

At this rate it might be a noose. And how it gets used is still open to speculation.

Michelle B

It Stinks !

jengrl's picture

It stinks when Simon doesn't even bother to discuss the wedding with Cathy. He just came out and said they were getting married at a certain church and never thought to include his bride in the decision. I don't blame her for being pissed. Usually, the bride's church is where the wedding takes place. The compromise is that they could still marry at Stanebury, but use Marguerite as Vicar. My brother got married with the Pastor from our church officiating, but it was at his wife's church where she grew up.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Weddings aren't very important.

What IS important is marriages. Where or how you get married is largely irrelevant it's the years that follow that count.

Both Simon and Cathy need to find out what's important to them and discuss it or they may as well go their separate ways now before it gets too complicated. They seem to be incompatible on the current showing.

Geoff

I see a LOT of marriage

I see a LOT of marriage counseling in Cathy's and Simon's future.
I also believe that Cathy really, really needs some specialized counseling as she is allowing EVERYTHING to overwhelm her. She is on the verge of a total nervous breakdown, and her comments of "stepping out in front of a truck" lends me to believe that she very close to being suicidal. Cathy has been trying to be all things to everyone and the problem is she is not "superwoman". J-Lynn

Immaturity on both sides

I am fed up with both people, frankly. Cathy is too wimpy, crying at the littlest provocation and too immature to steer the conversation so that the core issues can be resolved ( and we are not talking about the location of the marriage ! ) Simon on the other hand is too immature to understand the fine art of engaging your brain before putting mouth in gear. Cathy needs to get over her childishness and allow for Simon's stupidity and insensitivity.

Both people are getting on my nerves frankly and if I cannot empathize with any characters I will probably just dump reading the series, I have enough problems with my personal space without having to get riled over fictional ones.

Kim

Personally I can't blame

Personally I can't blame Cathy, the minute Simon found out it wouldn't be long before they could marry he has already decided his dad and Monica are going to be planning and where the marraige will take place without even considering Cathy at all.

What was his next move dictate the dress she would be wearing? Simon really needs to learn tact and he could have asked rather than tell her where they were going to marry.

I'm gonna take a chill pill before I come into this story and kick Simons proverbial %$*

Megumi :(

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Again!?

And again.. and again.. Bloody Hell, do they _ever_ grow up?!

Cathy has an idea, an inkling, or whatever what. Next coins it at Simon. Who in turn has an opinion, or direction, not quite in the same vein as Cathy. Within two sentences Cathy raises her hackles, Simon says something barmy, and another row is born.

It's getting old. No counseling needed, just some common sense, maturity, or whatever you want to call it. Just.. just grow up !

Jo-Anne

She'll change

She'll change her attitude when she comes to the realization that she may only keep the girls if she is married, the "system" would otherwise fight tooth and nail to prevent a single woman of her status from keeping them. I feel they handle her a bit more carefully because she is well connected at the moment.

Cathy is damaged goods...

Puddintane's picture

...and shows it in many ways, one of which is her brittle fragility.

She was cruelly, systematically, and consistently abused as a child, in both physical and emotional ways that almost destroyed her sense of self-worth and power, as we well know, and is *barely* "recovered" enough to function. She attracts these same sorts to her, as people do, which is why both Stella and Simon cling to her. Birds of a feather, as Stella accurately forecast at the beginning of all this.

All in all, exactly how is such a person *supposed* to act? She does a remarkable job of "stiff upper lip" but that only goes so far.

In the very moment of every hint of happiness, her past reality comes crashing down on her head and threatens once more to destroy her. The terrible, horrible, reality of the story, the fact that it *isn't* in any way a fantasy, despite dueling lovers, peerages, and babies, is the most compelling thing about it.

Puddin'
--------------------
By very slow degrees, and with frequent relapses,
that alarmed and grieved my friend, I recovered.
--- Mary Shelley (from Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus)

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

in total agreement with puddintane

let's keep in mind whom cathy is & where/how she got to this point. in the previous chapt comments i very much made these points and more

and tho all these folks may love her to death, if they dont step back & see what they really have on their hands, they'll surely loose her. she's shown time & time again she's a '''mother'' ''healing'' figure whom if pressed will defend HER OWN even @ sacrifice to herself

Weddings Etc

I agree with comment by Geoff, about weddings not being that important. Especially when people have been living togther already, they become very UNimportant. Maintaining a lasting relationship is far more important. Alas it requires a lot more give than take, which makes it very hard for selfish, ambitious, modern people to maintain.

I knew some people who married three times - they had a civil ceremony, an Anglican Church one, and a Russian Orthodx one in Moravia, because she was from there and he lived in
the UK and he needed to make his Mum happy who was a regular C of E church-going person.

This is the solution for our star-crossed lovers - there is no law stopping the same people getting married as often as they want to!

Briar

Briar

Not entirely blameless

It's more than just a wedding, Cathy's talking about the ceremony that would make her Lady Cameron for real, not just how she occasionally name drops now. So of course there's a traditional location for that ceremony.

All too familar

 

anime.gif     Been there - Done that. The thing that is important is to converse and work things out. Sure, things may never be the same, but both have some growing up to do. BOTH. You don't just walk away from a relationship that has had so much built into it. You don't! To me, the words and integrity of the soul behind those words matter: I stand up to it. If I say it, I mean it.

But when you do the sensible adult thing and realize that opinions butted in and feelings rushed in and personalities clashed, it was a brief thing. The long term thing is recognizing the pettiness of the moment and realize you have to overlook some issues in order to get along. Both sides have to. And Both sides also have to learn to give in and let the other have their way too once in awhile. Its no fun all being one persons way either.

And it is also important too, to understand just WHAT is important to your partner. Find out what it is! and make that your goal! If the person matters to you, then it should be your top priority to make that YOUR priority! Indulge in and make a part of your life what your partner does. Maybe not all the way in, but, it should be considered and worked into your routine as being top priority for you! If both do the same for each other, then understanding one another can become easier and help bridge the gap formed from the arguing. Remember, Loving another person is the greatest treasure one can have, so treasure them!

The sooner Cathy & Simon learn this, the quicker their arguments will cease and the more of one another they will understand. Stop taking things personal and be positive and understanding.

Live Right. Be Right. Share, Love, and Care for your partner. Understand them.

Make the world brighter and happier for each other and build a lifetime of cherished memories and experiences!
 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Both of these two idiots are

Both of these two idiots are right. Both of them are also so thick-skulled that someone needs to knock some sense into them by bashing their skulls together. I am an Episcopalian so I know something about the Anglican Rites. The wedding should be held in the Family Parish with the Celebrant being the Priest that Kathy wants. The Priest has already said she needs permission from her Bishop to perform the cerimony so it does not matter whether it is held in her parish or not.

Cathy and Simon

It will work out. Both have a lot of learning to do, but both love each other. Besides, I have 1,100 chapters to go.

First, REAL women wouldn't

First, REAL women wouldn't just roll over and do what Simon ORDERED, any more then you would.
Second, you keep the ring, (ask Stella)
Third, the Bride chooses the pastor
Forth, Traditionally, here in the Colonies, the Bride picks the church, usually the one she attends, or prefers.
If, the Stainburys get married in their own chapel then they be married there at later date.

Cefin

They could compromise...I

jennifer breanna's picture

They could compromise...I mean Cathy's Minister could come preform the service at Si's Church.