Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 580.

Printer-friendly version
       
Wittering Dung beetles
(aka Bike)
Part 580
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

I left Dr Rose feeling a little easier in my mind about my care of Trish, he seemed to think it was very acceptable. I wasn’t at all sure what I thought about his colleague, Dr Edwards, as I was sure he had an ambivalence towards her himself. Still, a few more days and I’d find out what she was like.

We hastened up to the prem baby unit, and I hoped a chance to feed Puddin’. Stella was up there when we arrived, she was expressing milk and grumbling, her breasts were significantly larger since the birth and she didn’t like it because none of her clothes would fit.

She was being worked on by one of the nurses, the nice one, who was trying to convince her that breast feeding was good for her and her baby. I don’t think Stella sounded too convinced. It made me feel sad, but then I suppose I should feel grateful for what I’ve got given my route to womanhood and motherhood.

She was happy that Trish and I should feed Puddin, and by positioning a chair alongside the incubator, Trish was able to give Puddin’ some of her milk. Trish was so excited, and I thought it ironic that she seemed to be a more natural mother than Stella was.

Once again, I held Puddin’s finger, or she held mine and Trish indicated she could see the blue energy, which was more than I could. After it, Puddin seemed to yawn and sleep. She was slightly larger and seemed to gaining weight very slowly. The dark hair she’d had on her head, however, seemed to be coming out and her skin was peeling a bit as well. Most of her feeding was done by a tube which went via her nose into her tummy, but she was suckling the bottle a bit more efficiently.

When the nurse saw me touching the baby, she gave me a knowing look and smiled. Stella seemed oblivious of all of this and prattled on about how the baby was responding to her care.

Stella had some news for us as well, she was coming home in a day or two. Puddin’ would have to stay until she’d made up body weight which they felt made her resilient enough to survive in the outside world. At the moment, she was still too little.

I asked about the skin peeling and was told it was reasonably common, I wondered if it was like snakes or insects who moult their skins to grow. In insects they call it ecdysis. See an education is never wasted, all you have to do now is work out how to fit it into everyday conversation.

We stayed for a further half an hour and then walked back to the ward with Stella. She was now wearing her ordinary clothes, except they were loose tops and of course a nursing bra. She hated it all and asked why I hadn’t taken the chance to breast feed when she’d offered. I didn’t answer her question, I did enough for her already.

I took her dirty laundry and a list of things she wanted me to bring in for her. In some ways, I was pleased she’d be home soon, although I expected her to lounge about, exhausted after feeding Puddin’.

“You are not to tell anyone that you saw the blue light again, or that you helped feed Puddin’, if you do, I won’t let you feed her again. Understood?” I said to Trish as we walked back to the car.

“Yes, Mummy,” she said beaming, knowing that Mima would be jealous if ever she found out.

Back home and the drudgery continued, washing for the invalids, and cooking for the residents, with Trish who laid the table and helped me get the meal. Mima was fast asleep with Simon on the couch–apparently, they’d taken Kiki for a walk and tired themselves out.

Tom was in his study working on his computer, as soon as he knew I’d try and stop him, he locked the door. I could hear him chuckling, or maybe cackling the other side of it. I did think to switch off the mains electric to the house, but then I’d mess up the dinner.

Because of the late start, I did bacon and egg with sausages and tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread. When Simon did wake up, just before I dished up, he was pleased to see the meal I’d cooked, it was one of his favourites.

“Next time, do some hash browns, will ya?”

“I prefer to call it fried potato and we need some previously boiled and mashed spud to do that; as you currently eat any leftovers before I can use them, it might be difficult.”

“You can get frozen hash browns,” he informed me.

“I know, I just prefer to use home produced food, the commercial stuff has too much salt in it.” Then I thought about the way Tom used to sprinkle salt on everything except his sweets. They say the Scots eat too much of it, and explains why anyone living to fifty in Glasgow is unusual. So much for porridge being good for you.

After the meal, Mima, who’d got her second wind, wanted to play with the makeup sets, so Trish happily assisted her. Then it was bed time, after steam cleaning their faces, and Tom read them a story while Simon and I chatted.

“Did you see your post?”

“What? As in mail?”

“Yep, something with a Do not bend sticker on it.”

“I’m not expecting any photos, am I?”

“You’re asking me?” He had a look of horror on his face.

“No, I was thinking out loud.” I went out to the hall and there on the side table, were a few items of mail. The one was larger than the others and had the warning about bending it clearly displayed. I looked at the sender’s address, it was from the GRP.

With excited fingers, I carefully pulled up the flap, inside was a light blue certificate, I was finally female. I whooped and Simon came dashing out to see what was happening.

I was dancing around the lounge. “What the hell is going on?” he asked curtly.

“I’m female.”

“Yeah, we know that, tell me something new.”

“No, I’m female.”

“You said.”

“Really female.”

“Damn, and there’s me thinking it was real all along.”

“No, Simon, look.” I shoved the certificate in front of him.

He read it, and then gave me an enormous hug. “Congratulations, female,” he said then kissed me. “When do you get your new birth certificate?”

“They’re going to write to me to ask what I want written on it, you know, what I want to register as my name.”

“You know what this means, don’t you?”

“Yes, I’m nearly there, complete.”

“No, you silly moo, it means I can ask you something again.”

“If it’s for a cuppa, it’s your turn to make it,” I replied tired of waiting on him.

“No, you silly cow, can I ask you again, will you marry me?”

“Do I have to?”

“No.” The look on his face was pure dejection.

“So it’s my choice then?”

“Wasn’t it always?”

“Yeah, I s’pose.”

“You gonna reject me?”

“I could do, couldn’t I?”

“Well don’t prolong the agony, get on and say no, if you’re going to.”

“No…”

“Oh well, that’s it then. I thought you were going off me, now you’ve got your kids, you don’t want me. I’ll pack my stuff and leave.”

“No.”

“No what?”

“No, I’m not going to reject you, and no, you’re not going anywhere.”

“Cathy, stop pissing me about, are we getting married or not?”

“Yes, we are and I am delighted to become your wife.”

“Shit! I suppose I’d better tell Dad and Monica.”

“Tell them what?” asked Tom as he came down from his story session.

“To get ready to organise a wedding.”

Tom looked at me and then at Simon, then back to me. “What is going on?”

“I’m officially female, my gender recognition thingy has come back.” I handed him the certificate.

“Oh, Cathy, I’m so pleased for you, this calls for a bottle of champagne, and I have one in the cellar. He hugged me and kissed me, then went off to get the bottle.

“That piece of paper doesn’t change anything you know?” said Simon.

“Yes it does, my birth certificate and my legal status…”

“No it doesn’t, all it does is make it acceptable to government what you’ve done to your body. In my eyes, you’ve always been female, and a beautiful one at that, and one that I fell in love with almost at first sight. I still love you.”

I felt the tears well up and run down my face. “Oh, Si, you say the sweetest things.” I said hugging him and kissing him.

“So why are you crying then?” I shook my head, unable to speak. He looked at me and said, “Bloody women, I’ll never understand them.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sometimes Simon . . .

Gets it right! I assume Stella will be Maid of Honor, although I think Spike really deserves it. Tom gives away the bride, Mims is the flower girl and Trish the ring bearer. Monica can organize the bachelorette party, and Henry can write the check.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Laughing

That was a great comment Withheld. Now Tom has something big to live for! He gets to give away a daughter in a wedding. He'd better take care of himself. I think it was pretty cool how Simon re-proposed. Cathy's response was great too.

Hmm Wouldn't that be...

Matron of Honor, as Stella's got a kid... :-)

And, the weddings I've seen, the younger kids were the ring bearers, and older the flower girls - which would reverse the roles you've assigned to Mima and Trish - though still sounds interesting.

Does the Groom's family pay for the wedding in the UK? Over here, the tradition is that the Bride's family does that - Or the couple itself. Maybe it's that Cathy's marrying into the family of a peer of the realm. I dunno. Call me clueless.

Annette (Who'd really like to see this wedding - actually she likes weddings in general.)

To each by skill

Maid, Matron, whatever. I'm not picky about terms. I'm just assigning jobs by abilities.

Who would you trust the rings to, Jemima or Patricia? Like I said, Mims is the flower girl and Trish carries the rings. Trish isn't that much older, but she is far more mature. Give Mims a big basket of rose petals to scatter down the isle and she'll be a happy camper.

Traditionally, the bride's family does foot the bill in the U.K. I believe, same as here in the U.S. But what is Henry's best skill? So he writes the checks. ;-)

And the Maid/Matron of Honor usually handles the bachelorette party, but again, going with abilities, Monica is OBVIOUSLY the best choice. :-)

Oh, Henry is also Best Man, so he can escort his daughter down the isle.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Maid of Honor

Puddintane's picture

In US usage, she's still a Maid of Honor, as she's still unmarried.

In the UK, properly, a "maid of honour" is a female attendant to the Queen, whilst the bride's companions are "bridesmaids" and the primary attendant the "Chief Bridesmaid" unless she is married or of mature years, in which case "Matron of Honour" may be used. These days, Dallas and US telly being ubiquitous, "Maids of Honour" are creeping into common parlance.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Monica

Say what?!? Monica organize the bachelorhood party!

There are many people who could do this, but Monica would be way back there. She would have way too much fun. The point is to get Simon to marry Cathy, not make them separate first thing.

Yay Cathy!

jengrl's picture

It was great to hear that the government finally recognizes Cathy for who she really is. I am also glad to see Simon being so sweet to her after everything that has happened. Puddin seems to be getting stronger and gaining a little at a time. I hope Stella can get over the hump and take a more active interest in her baby.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Finally

Well, the wait is over. Good show. Funny how officaldom is so important when what each person thinks and feels is the real thing. Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Hooray for Cathy. It does

Hooray for Cathy. It does seem that her Ph.d work will be put on hold for sometime now, especially if she and Simon get married. Finally some really good news for her. J-Lynn

Wow.

Henry sure works fast!

Cathy A Woman, Eh?

Knowing their luck, the Russian Mafia will find out.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well it's about bl**dy

time ! The only sad part is that it may mark the beginning of the end for series culminating with their nuptials.

I am hoping that it could last 'til Christmas so we can at last have *Drum roll please* -

Wassailing Dormice !!!

It would be soooooo cute to picture a group of them in front of Cathy and Simon's door, singing away !

Kim

Why is it that people make it sooo...

hard on those that are different. (This was intended to be retorical question. Please don't enumerate the reasons!)

I'm glad that Cathy's able to actually get married now. I'm just sad they had to wait so long... *sighs*

The bit about Trish able to see the blue light but Cathy not... Sounds familiar. I've heard of other cases where those able to do such effects aren't able to see/feel it happening, but others are. Sad in a way. For some reason, I figure Cathy'd be more effective if she could see what she's doing.

As to babies losing their early hair... Yeah, I believe that happens too. Seen it even... My eldest was born with a full head of dark hair - it went away and, her current blonde hair grew in to replace it.

Thanks,
Annette

Oh, Wow!

Oh, wow! I'm finally caught up (again)!

Oh, wow! Cathy's finally officially female!

Oh, wow! They're finally going to get married!

Oh, wow! Maybe now they can officially adopt Mima and Trish!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Wittering Dung Beetles?

Isn't this being different for the sake of being different? Is there such a word as wittering? You can't hear it but I just said that with a withering tone of voice. I then walked around the room twittering about something. But not a hint of wittering, I'm sure!

As to the dung beetles, are you planning on working your way through all the taxonomy that begins with the letter 'D'? Will you, at some point, include the Latin names, too?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Witter

Puddintane's picture

Yes.

witter
Verb
Chiefly British, informal, to chatter or babble pointlessly or at unnecessary length [origin unknown]

Puddin'
----------------
Just 'cause it ain't in no dictionary
don't mean it ain't no word nohow.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

>> In insects they call it ecdysis.

Puddintane's picture

And in women they call them ecdysiasts. See, some educations are broadly-based as well as formal...

Puddin'
----------------
An "ecdysiast" is a striptease artist, familiarly called an exotic dancer, peeler, or stripper. Male strippers are rarely called ecdysiasts, or even exotic dancers, having come late to the stage for the most part, so the formal euphemisms don't generally apply.

Just a little usage note for the meticulous...

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

mittfh

you know that's a curious question you pose there.

As a MtF postop, I've been asked that old question so many times I nearly wig out ((smiles)) Personally I dont seem to have that intuative sense that women have. I dont understand GG's any more than i actually understand male behavior and gay people almost befuddle me in their behavior cept I do understand the sexual part sorta.

I wonder what others think. I guess I'm asking in general to the TS readers more than other variations. tho an intersexxed person's insite might be interesting

Congratulations.

Belated Congratulations to Cathy & and to the Author.

It makes sense that dungbeetles witter

I understand why she's crying. What planet is Simon from?
This is the best news ever. Every thing will now improve for our girl ??
She now can join the ladies bike club. She can race in ladies races. watch the French bag superman," those drugs were for my cancer" Armstrong.

Cefin