Sara's Magic Crayons SRU - Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
Sara's Magic Crayons
Chapter 3

by Maggie O'Malley

When Sara was growing up, her "magic crayons" helped her escape the pain. Now as an adult and the world famous Art Angel, can they help her to find the life she's always dreamed of?


 

Chapter Three: London and Special Friends

Sara woke the next morning, feeling as bad if not worse than she did the night before. It still hurt to breathe and walking was a slow painful process but she continued on. She by bypassed the main village as her mother had told her to and then rejoined the road a short distance later. Sara's mother knew there was no more life in the village for Sara then there was at their house. She needed a fresh start in a new place.

Her third day out she caught a ride from a friendly old man. When he asked Sara where she was heading she in turn asked him his destination. When he said London, she said it was hers as well. The next day Sara arrived in the big city, and as she walked the streets she marveled at the many shops and crowds of people. With all her heart, she hoped she could fulfill her mother's last wish and find a new life, a life for Sara.

Sara was fourteen, homeless, hungry, and near penniless by the time she arrived in London. It was fall and with winter just around the corner, survival on the city streets became the country girls main concern.

Her first winter was a rough one, and she nearly froze to death, but she quickly learned her lessons from the other street-smart urchins. One of the most important rules for street survival was to use whatever talent you got to survive. When Sara couldn't find hard work or handouts, she turned to her artistic talents to get by on. She became a street artist, making quick sketches of people and scenes, for whatever they'd give her. Sometimes her fingers were so cold she could barely hold her pencils but her winters in the loft had help toughen her to the cold, and by the grace of the Goddess and her own right hand, she survived her first London winter on the street.

When spring came, London seemed to be alive with young people, and Sara would sit on a bench and smile wistfully as the young girls would pass, daydreaming that she could be just like them. Sadly, Sara wasn't able to be just like them, but she was getting closer. Her blonde hair had grown out over the winter and was now shoulder length. With her short, slender body and long hair she was often taken for a young girl from the back, and her spirit would soar with each "bird whistle" she received.

Things got a little better for Sara her first summer in London, as she was able to pick up a few small jobs and by the time fall came again, she had her own flat. It was small and she could barely afford the rent, food or heat, but it was far better than another winter on the streets again.

She was even able to purchase a little second hand women's clothing. With her long hair, sun glasses, and baggy clothes, sales clerks routinely called her miss and assumed she was just another poor teen girl, probably on her own and up against it.

Sara didn't have the courage to wear the dresses and skirts out in public. She continued to play boy drag at her odd jobs, quietly going about her work, making friends with no one. Her experiences at school made being around people uncomfortable and being friends with them impossible. Save for work and going out and doing her street art for extra money on the weekends, Sara rarely ever left her flat.

Being at home though wasn't so bad for Sara as she would spread her wings and fly within the safe confines. She'd lounge in the finest feminine wear the thrift stores had to offer, dancing, singing, sketching and praying for a miracle that would somehow give her the body to match her spirit.

Sara's life pretty much continued the same for the next few years. She bounced from job to job doing what work she could find, and along with her street art, continued to pay the bills each week. She thought about her parents quite often and several times was tempted to defy her mothers orders and go back home at least to see her, but inside she knew she wasn't ready to face that. Maybe someday, maybe never, but definitely not yet.

Sara was nearly twenty before she took her next bold step literally, as she began making brief forays into the outside world dressed as a woman. She started first at night, but then switched to days as she was nearly accosted several times by some gents who were quite sure of her femininity and were extremely interested in fancying a bit.

At first she thought all eyes were on her, and at times she was right, but not for the reasons she feared. It wasn't long before she realized people were taking her for exactly what she appeared to be, and that was a pretty young woman, a bit on the "Twiggy" side, but a lovely lass none the less.

Even with most people's acceptance as a young woman, she still only went out in full dress occasionally and of course, never to work, as her legal papers were still with her horrible boys name. Her life was still far from perfect, just as her body was, and at times the loneliness was almost unbearable, but still was more alive now then she'd ever been before.

She had come quite a ways from the scared and beaten teen that nearly froze to death on the streets of London that first winter. At twenty- two she had the best job and best flat she'd ever had, an impressive wardrobe of semi-current second hand ladies fashions, and was now out and about as Sara more than ever. She was dressing exclusively as a woman on weekends, which meant she was now in femme when she picked up extra dollars doing her street art. It wasn't long before she became known on the London streets as Sara or more commonly by the heavenly nickname a satisfied customer once bestowed upon her, Sara the Art Angel.

Fate which up until now hadn't been particularly kind to Sara, finally smiled on her in the beautiful green eyes of a lovely auburn-haired woman named Jenna. It was a warm sunny Saturday afternoon in London, which meant Sara was out in full dress and searching for perspective customers who'd pay pounds to be immortalized by the hardly-famous but very talented Art Angel.

Sara knew her best money often came from the tourists. Anyone on holiday usually had money to spend and were normally spent a great deal of it on souvenirs and mementos. What could be better for them than a sketch done in front of Buckingham Palace with a Beefeater, or perhaps sitting astride the lions at Trafalgar Square?

Tourists were also easy to spot as they always had cameras dangling from their necks, shopping bags full of t-shirts and miniatures, maps poking out of their pockets and that wide-eyed look on their faces as they pointed at every building and double-decker bus they saw.

Sara was scanning Trafalgar Square when through a wave of pigeons came a young couple that caught her eye and stole her heart. They had none of the usual tourist trappings, so a sale was far from guaranteed, but the image they cut was so beautiful that she just had to capture it on paper.

The young woman was tall, maybe about 5'8 and slender. Long auburn hair cascaded down her back and her emerald green eyes were gazing up lovingly into those of the man who owned the arm she was clutching. She was wearing a silk dress that flowed over her womanly curves and showcased her long lovely legs.

The young man was very tall and very handsome. By Sara's guess he had to be 6'5 or better as he towered over many of the men that passed by. He was extremely well built with broad shoulders and a chest that was barely restrained by the button down shirt he wore. He had dark blonde hair, soft blue eyes and a gentle, loving smile that spoke the love he felt for the woman on his arm.

Sara sighed at the picture they cut. She was pretty sure they weren't locals but they didn't seem like the typical tourist either. She pondered it a few seconds and then smiled, "Newlyweds!" If there were ever a couple that looked like they were on a honeymoon it was these too.

Sara smiled and then began feverishly sketching them as they approached her. The woman took her eyes off her Lord long enough to look at the lion statues and Sara used that as her opportunity to approach them.

Introducing herself as Sara, she showed them the preliminary sketch she had started and asked them if they would be interesting in having a proper one done. She assured them it wouldn't take long and if they weren't satisfied with it, they didn't even have to pay.

The big man in a voice too soft for such a giant smiled and asked her how much. Sara returned his smile and said, "That's up to you sir. If you like what I do and want to keep it, then it's your for whatever you think is fair."

The young woman looked up and smiled hopefully at the big man. He chuckled and returned her smile and then told Sara to go ahead and do her best. Sara smiled brightly and then directed them over the lions saying it would make for a lovely sketch.

Over the next twenty minutes Sara and the young couple chatted while the Art Angel worked her magic. During their casual conversation, Sara discovered her original suspicions weren't too far from the truth. Jenna and Rick were from Canada, and while not newlyweds, they were on a delayed honeymoon of sorts, having not had a proper one when they were married two years ago. They were spending three days in London, and two more in Scotland before returning home. Sara could see they were enjoying themselves in London, but when they spoke of their upcoming visit to Scotland there was a magical sparkle in their eyes that Sara didn't miss.

Jenna and Rick asked a few questions of Sara too, and she gladly pointed out to them all the "can't miss sites" to see while they were in London. However, she was a bit "sketchy" and nervous on any questions about her person, a fact Jenna seemed to carefully note as she watched the young artist closely.

Twenty minutes after she started, Sara had completed her work, and was pleased to see the approving smiles both Jenna and Rick gave her when they saw it. Rick reached into his pocket and began thumbing through his pound notes when Jenna stretched up and whispered in his ear. Rick smiled and nodded, then kissed his princess. He turned to Sara and said that Jenna would pay her, as he needed to make a quick dash over to the chemist across the way. He complimented Sara on her beauty and her talent before leaving the two women alone.

Jenna watched her love leave and then sighed before turning her attentions back to Sara. Sara smiled and said Rick seemed like a wonderful man and the pair made such a lovely couple. Jenna blushed; thanking Sara for the compliment and saying her soul mate had completed her in ways she'd never dreamed possible just a few years ago.

Sara could see how happy Jenna was, but she did note a hint of pain behind Jenna's loving smile, perhaps pain from previous love lost, but a pain and sadness nonetheless. At least was Jenna was happy now, and Sara hoped the future held even more happiness for the friendly young couple who thought her work was worth paying for.

Expecting Jenna then to offer Sara a few pound notes for her efforts, the young woman was a bit surprised when Jenna asked her if she would care for a spot of tea and a bit of conversation, as her husband would be quite some time at the chemist.

Normally Sara would have just taken her money and graciously declined such an invitation, as her fear of getting too close to others made tea and conversation with anyone, let alone a woman she'd just met, completely out of the question. Yet, there was something about this soft-spoken young woman that seemed to reach out and connect with Sara at a level that no one else ever had. Surprising herself, Sara agreed to accept the invitation and directed Jenna toward a café across the street from the chemist shop Rick had went in to.

Jenna ordered two teas with a plate of biscuits and then got straight to the heart of the matter. Jenna made sure her next words were out of ear shot of any of the other customers and then shocked Sara as she told her that she knew Sara wasn't like most girls, that she'd been born different.
Sara's sky blue eyes went wide with fear and her hand trembled. She'd been found out and her instincts said run. She wasn't even worried about the few pounds she'd earned. She was chastising herself for being stupid enough to accept the invitation and was preparing to run before Rick could return with a police office in tow. She rose from her chair when Jenna reached out, grabbing her hand and begging her not to leave. Sara's instincts still said run and she would have had it not been for Jena's next words.

She told Sara she knew she was different, because incredibly she was different than most girls too. Like Sara, she had been cursed at birth, a girl born in a boy's body.

Sara couldn't believe her ears or her eyes as she eased back down into her chair. Here was this beautiful woman married to this beautiful man and telling her that she was just like her? Jenna saw the look of disbelief in Sara's eyes but assured her she was telling the truth. She then added that if Sara would stay, she'd try to explain things to her, maybe even help Sara if she could.

Sara agreed to listen which made Jenna smile and begin her story. Over the next twenty minutes, tears welled in both woman's eyes and at times Sara nodded knowingly as parts of Jenna's tale were also her own.

Like Sara, Jenna knew she was a girl even before she could speak the words to say so. Like Sara, she'd wanted the toys and clothes that all the other little girls wanted, and like Sara, she'd gotten only stolen moments to have those things. Jenna was the baby of the family and the only "boy" her parent's had been blessed with, as Jenna's three older siblings were all girls.

While Sara had her special moments with her mother, Jenna had hers with her big sister's as they would often dress her up in their old clothes and let her play games as the little sister. Sadly, for both of them, those moments ended about the time they both entered school, but fortunately for Jenna, without the physical and emotional abuse that Sara had suffered.

Both were social outcasts growing up. They were pushed off toward the boys, longed to be with the girls, and accepted by neither. Their paths seemed all too similar to Sara, until Jenna entered high school and then things changed in ways Sara never dreamed possible.

Jenna came to her parents when she was 15 and told them how she felt. While she wasn't sure if they truly believed she was a girl trapped in a boy's body, they knew SHE believed it and that she was in terrible pain so they had to help. Jenna's parents took her into the big city where she had to take tests, give blood and tell her story to strangers. She was scared they wouldn't believe her, but in the end they did! She cried and cried when they told her she was a girl, a real girl, only one born with a birth defect. She was something they called a transsexual.

Jenna told Sara that at the time she didn't understand all the technical terms but it's what they call girls like her and Sara who are born with boys bodies and since then she's learned that there are LOTS of girls out there just like them.

Sara asked her if they told her WHY girls like themselves were born this way, with this defect, but Jenna shook her head sadly and said the doctors weren't sure why it happens and they didn't have a magical cure for it either, BUT, they did have a treatment. Jenna then smiled and waved her arms across herself, signaling the body she now possessed was the result of said treatment.

Jenna, with Sara hanging on every word, went on to describe in detail the process she had went through to become the woman who was now sitting across the table from her. Jenna said the doctors started giving her hormones, magic pills that made her body more like a girls, and along with her parents support and a lot of help from her sisters, she began living full time as girl when she 16. She really had to work hard to learn how to be a teenage girl, as she didn't have the advantage of growing into the role.

Starting school as a girl after attending it as a boy the year before was tough too, but she was already used to being an outcast, so being popular was never important to her anyway. Jenna's emerald green eyes misted in remembrance when she said there had been one person she'd been popular with in high school. He was a tall, handsome boy who escorted her to the senior prom. She finished then by adding that after she turned 18 and graduated, she had an operation to fix some of the things that the pills couldn't. Jenna's eyes drifted downward toward her lap, silently gesturing to the area that pills alone couldn't fix.

Sara blushed and then smiled knowingly. Her mind was filled with a thousand questions but a 6'5 big one came to the forefront. She asked Jenna if Rick knew she had lived as a boy and then felt stupid for even asking. Jenna smiled and told her Rick not only knew, but he'd been with her through much of the ordeal as they'd gone to high school together.

Of course, he had been her dream date to the senior prom, as they had been in love long before she had the ability to share it physically with him. He'd been a patient and loving rock for her through it all, and two years after her surgery he made her the happiest woman in the world by marrying her.

Sara sighed and said Rick sounded like the perfect man. Jenna smiled lovingly and said she didn't know if he was perfect, but he was perfect for her.

Sara's next question brought a sad sigh from Jenna, as she asked if after her surgeries could Jenna bear children. Jenna shook her head and said no, but then smiled and said a woman doesn't have to be mother, to be a mummy, and that in two days, her and Rick were going to be the proud parents of a newborn baby girl.

Sara's mouth fell open and her eyes went wide at Jenna's confession. Jenna seeing the look of confusion on Sara's face, giggled and squeezed her hand, assuring her it was neither magic nor kidnapping that was going to give her a child. It was adoption and their new daughter would be waiting for them in Scotland, the day after tomorrow. They'd already had a name for her, Rebecca, and when Jenna said it, Sara could hear the love in the new mother's voice.

Of course this explained the sparkle Sara had noticed in Rick and Jenna's eye when they spoke of Scotland. Sara reached across the table and hugged her new friend, tears of joy welling in her eyes as she congratulated her on becoming a mummy.

Sara was genuinely happy for Jenna, glad that her family had supported her, and that she'd been able to have medicine and surgeries to make her body more like other girls. She was so happy that Jenna had found a wonderful man like Rick and they were able to have a family, but she also felt pangs of jealousy as she knew those things would never happen for her.

Jenna saw the pained expression on Sara's face and sensed her new friends feelings. Jenna squeezed Sara's hand and then said words to her that she could scarcely believe she was hearing. "Sara, you're young and really pretty and well... if you think that you might be interested, I know you could do what I've done. In fact, I'd be willing to help you. That is, if you'd let me", offered Jenna.

Sara's head was spinning. It was all too much. In the course of an hour, she meets this beautiful woman from Canada, who just happens to have suffered the same curse she has, AND this woman is offering to help her fight it.

Jenna could see the frightened and confused look in Sara's face and tried to calm her. "Sara, I know we just met and this is a lot to take in, and normally I wouldn't have been so forward, but when I met you I just knew I couldn't let you leave without trying to reach you."

Sara relaxed a bit and smiled softly as she thanked Jenna for sharing her story and educating her about their condition but she didn't know how Jenna could possibly help her, as she could barely help herself right now.

Jenna winked, and realized that she at least had captured the scared kitten's interest. She then pulled out a business card and scribbled some numbers on the back. She handed the card and a ten-pound note to Sara and added, "This is one of Rick's business cards. It has his office number and our home number on the front. On the back I've written the hotel we're staying at, along with the room and phone number there. We leave for Scotland tomorrow afternoon, so please say you'll come to our hotel tonight and meet us for dinner. If you would be more comfortable we can have dinner in the room, we usually do anyway. That will give me a chance to pass on some more information that might help you and you a chance to ask any questions you'd like of either me or Rick. So, puhleeeeeze say you'll come Sara. I promise you won't regret it."

Sara was mulling the offer over when she saw Rick crossing the street and heading straight for her. Sara leaned over and whispered to Jenna. "Are you sure Rick won't mind?"

Jenna laughed, "Are you kidding? It was HIS idea to invite you to dinner."

Sara giggled. "You're right. He is perfect."

Jenna then pushed for a commitment. "So how bout it Sara? Please say you'll come."
Sara sighed and then started. "Well, I'll say I'll think about it, okay? I mean it's just that I ummm..."

Jenna squeezed Sara's hand, realizing just how much and how fast this had to be for her. "Sara, it's okay. I'll understand if you don't come, but at least consider calling me in Canada. You can call collect and don't worry about the hour. I don't expect Rick or I to be getting much sleep with a newborn in the house."

Sara and Jenna laughed and then shared hugs as Rick walked up grinning ear to ear. Rick and Jenna quickly exchanged silent glances that said Jenna's mission had at least been partially successful. Sara thanked Jenna for the tea and conversation, and then thanked them both for the ten-pound note and the dinner invite. Jenna slipped easily under Rick's arm and said she was more than welcome and Rick added he hoped she'd come. Sara made no further promises but did extend congratulations on their new daughter before spreading her art angel wings and flying for home.

Sara returned to her flat straight away and plopped down on her bed to sort things out. She was frightened, excited, curious, hopeful, overwhelmed and yet happier than she could remember being since she was an innocent five year old. She was a naíve little girl then, and she couldn't help but wonder if she was just as naíve now. She hadn't trusted anyone since her teacher in primary school and she still had a few scars to remind her how well that fared. She wouldn't even consider going to the local pub with her co-workers the few times they'd offered and she'd known them for almost two years. Yet today she meets a pair of Canadian tourists in Trafalgar Square, and she's contemplating have dinner with them in their hotel room! Of course, that isn't even the half of it. The wife, this beautiful auburn-haired goddess, says she was a girl born in a boy's body just like Sara was and tells her tales of medical magic she'd never dreamed possible. Then most incredible of all, she actually wants to help Sara find this magic too.

Sara's fear and lack of trust had been well founded by a life where her every effort at reaching out to others ended in pain, both emotional and physical. Her head said to take the ten-pound note gratefully, but to throw away that business card and forget she'd ever met Rick and Jenna.

Her heart though said otherwise. It told her to trust this beautiful princess and the handsome prince. It told her that if anyone on this earth understood how she felt, Jenna did. It also told her that if there was any chance, any chance at all, that there was magic out there that could help her, she couldn't walk away from that chance. She'd never forgive herself if she did.

Sara rocked on her bed, clutching a stuffed baby she'd rescued from the rubbish bin one night, and letting the war between head and heart rage within her. Reaching into her skirt pocket she pulled out Rick's business card and the ten-pound note Jenna had wrapped around it. As Sara slid the car out from the money, her eyes went wide, as within the ten-pound note, Jenna had hidden a hundred-pound note. Sara had never seen a hundred-pound note let alone be the owner of one. Obviously, Jenna was intent on helping Sara regardless of her accepting their dinner invite or calling her.

Tears fell from Sara's eyes at the heartfelt gesture by this incredibly generous and loving woman. There was no doubt now what Sara had to do. She had to meet Rick and Jenna for dinner, if only to return the note. There was no doubt she needed the money. The way she lived proved that. She also needed help and Jenna sounded like she was someone who could offer it to her, but she couldn't accept pure charity. It wasn't that she was too proud to; on the contrary, she survived that first winter on the charity of those who offered her food and lodging when she had none, but this was different and she knew it.

Sara took a deep breath and then got up off her bed. She walked over to her closet with a look of resolution and she picked out the best outfit she had before drawing a bath. Tonight she was going to face her fears, her new friends and hopefully change her destiny. Like any other woman, she wanted to look good doing it.

Sara arrived that night about seven and was greeted by a warm welcome and hugs from both her new friends. Sara immediately tried to take care of business first and handed Jenna the hundred-pound note back, but the young woman gently asked her to hold it until they'd finished talking. After that, if Sara still felt the same way, she'd accept it back. Sara reluctantly agreed, but knowing full well she would not be walking out with that note in her pocket.

Dinner was an absolute feast that night, and the best meal Sara had eaten since coming to London. After dinner, they relaxed and Sara opened up and told her life story. Wine and tears flowed till nearly midnight, as her heartbreaking tale of pain and sorrow touched Rick and Jenna deeply.

Jenna hugged Sara tightly and then getting the nod from her husband, took the lead and began trying to help Sara by teaching her how she could help herself. Jenna gave a couple of books on the transsexual condition to Sara saying that they'd been invaluable to her on her own journey and would help educate Sara on the birth defect they shared. She also told her this is one journey you simply can't walk alone and that Sara was going to have to learn to trust at least a few people. Finding a knowledgeable doctor was absolutely essential, as she would need his assistance to get the magic pills, the life giving hormones she would have to have for the rest of her life.

Money was an issue too. Jenna said she thought the National Health Insurance in England might pay for some of Sara's medical expenses, possibly even the surgery, but she was still going to need money and a lot more than she was making now. That's when Rick and Jenna showed her how they thought she could do it.

Rick told Sara that in her own words, "making the most of what you got" is one of the prime rules of surviving on the street. No doubt it had saved Sara from freezing to death and starving in London her first year there, and had kept her going ever since, but it was obvious to both him and Jenna she really wasn't making the most of the one thing she had most of all.

Rick's comments baited Sara and she had no choice but to bite, as she asked Rick what he was talking about. The handsome young man gave his beloved a conspirator's wink and then reeled his catch in. "Sara, neither Jenna nor I are art experts, but we both know enough to recognize real talent when we see it, and you my dear are truly gifted. That sketch you did of us at Trafalgar Square was absolutely brilliant. Sara, you have a gift and you need to make the most of it, and you'll never do that just drawing street sketches for pound notes."

Jenna nodded in agreement and then added. "Especially when with just a bit of training and the right exposure, you could be making thousands of dollars!"

Sara went positively pale, unable to believe what she was hearing. Having never heard praise before she struggled to accept it. "Thank you, but...but...I'm not really very good at all. No one would pay any REAL money for anything I could ever do."

Jenna put her arm around Sara and smiled lovingly at her. "Sara you really ARE that good, only you don't know it. No one ever truly believed in you and what you could do, so how could you learn to believe in yourself? You never got the love and support a child needs growing up, and that's almost as bad as being born in the wrong body."

Rick reached out and took Sara's hand. "We'd like to help you become the woman and the artist that it is your destiny to become if you'll let us help you."

Sara was overwhelmed having never known this kind of support before. She stammered helplessly. "I...I...just don't know what to say."

Jenna hugged her tightly, "Just say yes, you silly goose. It's either that or will have to drag you off to Canada with us and hire you as Rebecca's nanny."

Sara giggled at the second option Jenna had offered her, but then saw the glances between soul mates and knew if she wasn't careful she'd been in need of her passport tomorrow.

Before she could answer, Rick finally put the icing on the cake. "We assumed you'd prefer to stay here, so we took the liberty of looking up an art school after we left you. Fortunately we were able to show someone that sketch you made for us and they were very impressed. So much so, they'd like you to bring some other examples of your work and meet with them Monday. Jenna has all the information you'll need on where to go and who to see, so are we a go then?"

Sara was hardly "a go" as she began firing "buts and how's" back at her twin benefactors. "But...I didn't even finish college, and how am I going to pay for art school, and...and...what about...well I mean...me being a girl in a boy's body? I don't think there going to wants someone like me once they find that out."

Jenna shook her head and sighed. "Oh yea of little faith. First of all this is an art school and not a university. It doesn't matter if you haven't graduated college. They're interested in helping you harness you artistic ability, not the theory of probability. Secondly, we were told there are several financial scholarships available for students in need, which means you needn't worry about the money, and as for transsexual issue, Sara they're not worried about what's between your legs, just the creative genius between your ears and the magic in your right hand."

Rick then finally came full circle as he added. "The scholarship takes care of the tuition but you'll need a few supplies to get you started and that's where the hundred-pound note comes in. As I see it, it's not charity, it's an investment into the art world."

In a single day, these two people had been kinder to Sara than anyone else save for her mother had in 22 years. A very simple one-word question came to her mind and that one word said it all. "Why?"

Jenna hugged her tight. "Why? Because everyone deserves a fair chance in life and people like us rarely get it. From the moment we're born we're in the hole so to speak, and then most of us spend the rest of our lives trying to climb out of it. If those of who get out don't reach back down and help those who are still struggling to find their way, then who will? We're not offering you charity Sara, just a helping hand. You've still got to be willing to take it and pull yourself up."

Sara looked at Jenna and Rick and then said, "Thank you, thank you for everything", before her tears overwhelmed her.

Jenna hugged Sara while Rick poured three glasses of wine and then proposed a toast. "To Life!"

Jenna and Sara raised their glasses to meet his and then joined in the toast. The sentiment was fitting for all three of them, as Rick and Jenna were one day away from adding a new life to their own that would change both their lives forever, and for Sara, she was about to embark upon a new life that had one thing her old one never had, hope.

A bit too much wine and Jenna's stubborn insistence, kept Sara there over night. The next day Sara went with her two new guardian angels to the airport to see them off for Scotland. She promised to stay in regular contact with both of them and to report her progress at the art school and on the transsexual front. Jenna told her she had better stay in contact or she'd find herself learning the words to the Canadian National Anthem. Sara gave them last hugs, including an extra one for their new daughter Rebecca, and then stayed until their plane disappeared into the western sky.


To be continued...

up
48 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

hope and kindness - finally

Hi again Maggie,

while it started just as sad things look finally up for Sara.
Thanks for showing kindness for Sara. She really deserves it.

I cut myself loose from my parents at 28 and called a week later I'm in Sydney, Australia. (I'm German btw.) It was a huge shock for them. For me it meand some thing similar to Sara. I managed pay the rent in the hostel every week but some time only with the help of my parents. I already did consider what to do if I would be come homeless ind a city 18000km from home. I would not have been able to keep all my clothes, books and stuff I brought. In my case it was my own decission while Sara was thrown out. Well ok I too got kicked out from the guy who had invited me to OZ in the first place.
That was why I was suddenly in Sydney without money.
But I found it makes you move. No one else will really do it for you. You yourself have to start. I got a meal 2 or 3 times from soem gay friends I had meet in a bar. This helped with the hunger since I lived of 10 AU$ per week at times.
So again Sara's story reminds me alot of my own.
I just did it at a much older age.

I too found an other TS in the big city who helped me to hormones and later in San Francisco I found friends helping me get started as a girl for good.
Early August 2004 in San Francisco is where my live started.
What Sara's story tells I found to be true for myself is:

If you get started on your own and try hard other will see your need and help you along. If you just wait for others to help you it is not likely to happen.

thanks again for that wonderful story.
Before you ask I had others tell me I should write my story down but so far did not find the time to do so. Parts are in reviews here and in Karen Pages stories that are just as great and emotional as yours.

hugs you tight

Holly

Keep it up...

I think many of us are trapped in this particular hole, some by choice, some by circumstance. The lucky few are able to get out and then assist those still trapped, at least I know if I was assisted out or managed to get out I would do everything in my power to help those still there. Hell I'd do everything in my power to help those I could even before I escaped myself.

Anyway another thrilling episode, couple of problems AFAIK the largest denomination pound not is a fifty. Anything larger would be a bearer bond, works the same way but have to be issued especially. At some point in the past 1800s IIRC pound notes could have any face value, but now its 5, 10, 20 & 50. Shoot me if I'm wrong, but I certainly have never come across 100s, and I have worked in cash heavy shops several times.

What the heck, I don't care its a brilliant story and I'd rather read a brilliant story with mistakes than a story that is perfectly factually correct but boring as hell.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja