What Mother Didn't Know - Chapter 15 - Susan Goes To The Hospital

Printer-friendly version

"Objection, your honor. There is no evidence presented that says the minor child has XX chromosomes."

"Over Ruled. Mr. Marks has filed his medical reports on the blood work, the physical examination, the x-rays, and the hospital procedure to remove the useless layers of skin covering the child's vaginal opening. Now, Mr. Connors, if you keep objecting, knowing that we have irrefutable medical evidence showing this child to be genetically female, I will hold you in contempt!"
 

What Mother Didn't Know
Chapter Fifteen
Susan goes to the hospital

By Barbara Lynn Terry

 


 
Mr. Marks paid the bill, and we went out to the cars. There were hugs all around, and we all went home. As I got in the house, I went to my room, to think, well actually to brood. I'm a real girl, I thought to myself, and I just need a little help to make it complete. I went to the dictionary, and looked up the word hermaphrodite. It said that was a person born with both sets of genitals. I'm going to have to go to the library tomorrow, and read about this. I had a lot to think about. I had to think about what the doctor had said. I needed to know if it was possible for me, to...I heard the phone ring, and crept by the stairs to listen.

"Tomorrow at eight in the morning. How did you do this so fast? We just got home. Mr. Marks, or is it Clarence Darrow? I swear you are full of surprises. I will make sure she gets there. Uhm, I am just really surprised that you got this so quickly. I see. Yes. I'm sure you will. Good night, Mr. uhm, Clarence Darrow."

"I know you were listening you little minx. Would you come down here a moment?" I went downstairs, and Bobbie followed me. "That was Mr. Marks, and he has phoned the court, and the clerk put him right through to the judge. Judge Reynolds has issued what is called a writ of habeas corpus. That's latin for 'to produce the body'. I am to take you to the hospital in the morning, and you are going to be admitted. Then a doctor, whom Mr. Marks knows very well, will correct your birth defect. When you are healed, and it shouldn't take any time at all, because it is just a simple removal of the graft of skin covering your vagina.

"When that is done, you will be in the hospital not only to heal, but so they can run some more tests, to see if your female parts are working correctly. Mr. Marks said the doctor wants to see if being closed this long has made you sterile. Mr. Marks said the doctor doesn't think so, because you are just starting puberty. So young lady, by tomorrow night you will not have any more birth defect. So, no water or anything else to drink, and nothing to eat after midnight. I don't know how Mr. Marks pulled this off, but he did. He also said we can use the doctor to testify in court, and, that will be the last straw for your mother. She kept you as a boy, and I agree with Bobbie and the girls. Your mother just wanted a son she could brag about. So, young lady, go wash your face, you have been crying, and now that we know the truth, you don't ever need to cry about this again. When you have washed your face, come on back down, and we'll watch a little television."

I went upstairs, and Bobbie came with me. I washed my face, and looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes were puffy and red from crying. I couldn't help it now, either, because I sat on the toilet and started again. Bobbie held me, and told me that everything from now on, was going to be all right. After washing my face, I went in my room, and got in to my nightgown, panties, slippers, and robe. Bobbie and I went downstairs, and I sat next to mom, and curled up with my head in her lap. Bobbie looked at mom with sad concern. As I laid there, I could hear the television, but I wasn't interested in watching anything.

I was denied to be a little girl by my birth mother, because she was selfish and wanted a son to brag about. I just laid there until I fell asleep. I guess Bobbie's dad carried me upstairs, because in the morning, mom was waking me up, and telling me I needed to get my bath, and get dressed, because I had to be at the hospital at eight. I was up, and running my bath water, with just a cap full of rose bubble bath. I brushed my teeth, and the tub was full. I got in and washed all over, and pulled the plug, and got out. Bobbie handed me a towel, and I patted dry. I put on my lotion and body powder, and went to get dressed. Bobbie came with me to talk. We talked about this and that, and she said that she was happy I was a real sister now, and that tonight, I will have no birth defect making me look like a boy. I was happy in that we were getting to the bottom of this. I was acting like a girl, and wanting to be a girl, because I am a girl. There was one other thing I was afraid of, and that was what if someone at the hospital told the newspapers, or the television, or radio people. That would mean, everybody would know me, because my picture would be see by everyone in town. I said that to mom when we went downstairs, and she said they can't print my picture in the newspaper, or even show it on telelvison without a direct order from the judge, and we agree. She also said that we certainly are not going to agree. I said thank you, and it was time to go to the hospital.

We got to the hospital, and we all went inside. There was an outpatient desk, and an admitting desk, right next to each other. We went to the admitting side, and mom told the lady who I was, and she smiled, and said I was expected, and to just have a seat, because someone would right with me to take me to my room. We didn't have long to sit down, when a lady in a pink top came in with a wheelchair and called my name. I got up, and she said for me to get in the chair, and she would take me to my room. I was on the fourth floor, in a double room, but my roommate I was told was down, having x-rays taken. The nurse came right in as soon as I was in the bed, and took my pulse, temperature, and listened to my heart and lungs. She said her name was Marty (short for Martha), and she looked about the same age as my birth mother. She had nice sun yellow, blonde hair just past her shoulders, and she was always smiling.

"Welcome Susan, we have been expecting you. I know Mr. Marks very well, and he is a very nice man. We go over to their house for dinners and just visiting now and then. I was always wondering who the Susan was that Cindy kept talking about, and now I know. Being friends with the Marks, I know a little of what is going on. If you ever need to talk, sweetie, I am here for you."

"Thank you, Marty. I'm just happy that everything is coming out now though. I mean, I really can't say what being a little girl is like, because my birth mother never raised me that way. But I am going to know what being a girl is about now, though."

"Yes sweetie, and you just remember, I will be here for you. I work the six in the morning shift, to two in the afternoon. If you want, I can come up and visit with you while you are here. I'm sure Mr. Marks would like it, if someone who knows what's going on, would be here, so you don't feel alone. Would you like that?"

"Yes I would, Mandy. That would be very nice."

"Then I will talk to Mr. Marks abouot this, so he knows there is someone here for you."

"Thank you, Mandy."

"Not at all, Sue. Oh, where are my manners, you must be Mrs. Granger, and this is Bobbie. It is so nice to meet you. Mr. Marks said that outside of him, Cindy, and his wife, that your family was to be given information on how Sue is doing, because you are her temporary guardian."

"I hope I can be her mother, not just her guardian. She has been through a very traumatic young life, and we are seeing to it, that she isn't traumatized any more. And yes, this my other daughter Bobbie, and you can just call me Anna."

"Thank you, Anna. Well, I have to get to my other patients. I will be back, Sue."

I waved at her as she left, and I laid down under the covers. mom and Bobbie stayed with me, and then about an hour went by, and a man came in with another bed. He asked me if I could get up on the bed, because he was taking me to the O.R. He had on a green cloth cap, and a green gown covering his clothes. He said his name was Jeff, and he was the surgical nurse that would be helping Dr. Schneider.

I got on the bed, which was harder than the one I just got out of, and he wheeled me down to th eoperating room. mom and Bobbie followed us, and they were told they could sit in the theater, and watch if they wanted to. Mom and Bobbie just went ewwww, and they were shown to the O.R. waiting room. I was wheeled into the operating room, and a man in a similar outfit was waiting for us.

"Hello Susie, I'm doctor Schneider, and we are going to make you a whole person, if you know what that means?"

"Yes sir, I do. I have always wanted to be a whole person."

"Good. Now this is Mike, and he is going to give a little anesthetic to put you to sleep. When you wake up, you won't have that ugly birth defect, stopping from being who you really are. When you recover, and you are back in your room, I will come up and talk to you a little more. Are you ready to go to dreamland?"

I giggled a little, and said, "yes, sir."

Mike put this plastic thing over my nose and mouth, and told me to just breathe normally. The next thing I knew, I was in a different room, that had very bright lights, and a nurse came over to me.

"Well, I see that you're awake. I have to take your vitals, dear, and then we can talk some." She did the same thing Mandy did, but she didn't listen to my lungs. She went over by the desk, and wrote something down, and then she came back. "Hi Sue, I'm Debbie, and I want you to know that I think you are very brave for having been able to stand up for who you knew you are. Usually, these birth defects are taken care of at birth, but you seem to have had this since. I really don't understand why, but it is "fixed" now, and you are the girl you were born as.

"Dr. Schneider is a very good doctor, and he will make sure there is nothing wrong, before you go home. Listen to me for a moment. What Dr. Schneider is going to do, is take tests, and more x-rays, to make sure nothing of any value has been damaged. By that I mean this, every female has a vagina, cervix, ovaries, and a uterus. These are very important if we are going to bear children. Dr. Schneider will make sure that these have not been damaged. In your case, your vagina was covered over by a layer of skin, that if x-rays aren't taken at birth, then it is assumed the child is male. But sweetie, I can reassure you that you are one hundred per cent female."

"I don't understand why my birth mother kept that from me."

"Maybe she didn't know. Were you born in a hospital?"

"No Debbie, my birth mother said I was born at home."

"Then I suspect no x-rays were taken later, either. Maybe your mother wasn't told that you were female. Maybe she wasn't told that by the doctor who delivered you. He just saw the layer of skin, and assumed you were male. What year were you born?"

"1948."

"Yes, back then it was common not to take x-rays if the child was noticeably male or female. Well anyway, we know the truth now, and you still have your whole life to life as a woman. You are a young woman now, and because you are, we placed a sanitary napkin in your panties to catch the menstrual flow. Did you have any pain in your groin area, before coming to the hospital?"

"A little, I just thought it was a tummy ache."

"Well then, it is a very good thing that you got in here when you did. I would say that by the amount of blood Dr. Scneider found, you are having your first period. And if that is the case, young lady, nothing inside has been damaged. By the way, Mandy called down here to see how you were doing. She said she is a friend of the man who is an attorney?"

"Yes Debbie. His name is Mr. Marks, and his daughter is one of my best friends."

"Well, that is really good. Look sweetie, I can see that you are really exhausted. That is the anesthetic. You sleep now, and when you wake up, I will see if you are hungry."

I closed my eyes, and was soon asleep. When I woke up, there was another nurse there. Her name is Gloria, and she is about the same age as Mandy. Except that Gloria has auburn hair, and deep sapphire blue eyes, and I could tell she had a very pretty figure too. I want a figure like that. Gloria came over by the bed.

"Hi sweetie. I have to take your vitals, now that you are awake." She did the same thing that Debbie did, and then went and wrote it down. Then she came back.

"Are you hungry, dear? We can only give you liquids right now though. We have apple juice, orange juice, milk, hot chocolate, and of course the old stand by, water." We both giggled, and I told her I would like some apple juice.

"Coming right up." She brought the juice back, and then she said to sip it, and that I would probably sleep a lot today, and anyway it would be better to wait until breakfast to have something to eat. "That's because food right now would make your tummy upset, and you could vomit. We don't want that. So it is liquids for the rest of the day, and tomorrow you can have breakfast, because the anesthetic will be completely worn off by then. How are you feeling?"

"I feel really tired, and sore between my legs."

"Yes, you will be sore there for a while. About a couple of weeks, so you can heal. When you have completely healed, you will out there knocking the boys off their feet, with your good looks and your adorable charm. You are pretty Sue, never let anyone tell you different."

I didn't see mom and Bobbie sitting next to the bed, until I sat up a little to take a sip of my juice.

"You will be all right Sue. We're here until they tell us to go. Bobbie and I have to leave right around eight o'clock anyway, because she has school. She is going to make sure she brings all your homework home, so you don't fall behind in your lessons anyway. They should be taking you back to your room shortly, though. We will stay with you until we have to leave."

"Thanks guys, you're the best family a girl could ever want." I got a hug from both of them for that. "Please tell her I am hurting down there."

Gloria brought me a pill, and told me to take it with my juice. I closed my eyes, and the next thing I knew, I was back in my room. Mom and Bobbie wre talking to Dr. Schneider. When he saw that I was awake, he came over by the bed.

"Well young lady, how are you feeling?"

"Very sore, doctor."

"Yes, and I have prescribed some pain medication for you. Now I was talking to your guardian, and she tells me your birth mother was raising you as a boy?"

"Yes, sir."

"Well, I will probably be called to testify in court. I understand there is a court investigation going on. I will bring in the x-rays of before and after the surgery. I was also told that you have never been to a doctor before now, except to see a psychiatrist. Well, just know that we know the truth now, and we will be more than willing to go in to court. What I did, Susan, was remove a few layers of skin that was covering your vagina. When we opened the the vagina, we saw blood flowing, other than the blood from the surgery. This told us you were menstruating, and I feel that nothing inside has been damaged. Debbie told me that you were feeling sore, and you just thought it was a tummy ache. Anyway we placed a sanitary napkin inside your panties, and your guardian will explain how to use them. The panties are loosely fitted so it doesn't irritate the labia, right now. So, I will leave you ladies to talk about woman things, while I go and see other patients." We giggled, and he left.

When he left, mom said she would talk to me when I got out of the hospital, so we had enough time. Bobbie said she was waiting for me to get home, because she got me a nice surprise. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but when someone tells they got me a surprise, I am constantly begging that person to tell me what it is. But Bobbie did the closed mouth thing with the button and zipper closing thing. That means she isn't telling me. I sighed, and closed my eyes and went to sleep. When I woke up, it was three o'clock in the morning. The night nurse just came in, as I opened my eyes.

"Well, since you are awake, I need to take your vitals. How are you feeling now?"

"I feel very sore, but I am not tired now."

"I'll be right back with a pain pill, then I will take your vitals." She left to get the pill, but wasn't gone long. Then she did the vitals thing, and asked me if I was hungry.

"I'm famished."

"I can get you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or I can get you a bag lunch that has different sandwiches in each bag."

"May I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and some fruit if you have any."

"Of course. Would like milk with that, too."

"Yes, ma'am."

She came back with the lunch and milk, and said if I wanted anything more, just press the button. I ate the sandwich, and set the orange aside. I drank my milk, and laid back down and went to sleep. When I woke up, Mandy was coming in to check my medicine bag that was dripping into my arm. An IV she called it. Then she asked me how I felt and I said that I was very sore, and she left to get me a pain pill. When she came back, she took my vitals, and said they were good. She told me that my breakfast would be right up, and she wanted me to try and eat everything. She told me that I lose a lot of proteins and vitamins during surgery, because of the loss of blood. She said the only way to regain those proteins and vitamins was to eat everything on my tray.

Mandy brought in my breakfast tray, and telling me to eat everything, and after raising my bed to a partial sitting position, she went back out by the nurses desk. I was told that the reason that my bed wasn't raised all the way, was because it was possible to break open the stitches, and then I would have to go back in the operating room, and have them replaced. I ate what I could of the scrambled eggs, crisp bacon, toast, and milk and juice. I ate the bacon, but only a little of the eggs, and drank my milk and the juice. When Mandy came back in, she looked at my tray, and asked me if I didn't like the eggs.

"No, not really, I'm just full."

"Sue, you have to eat everything on your tray. You won't be getting any of your proteins and vitamins, if you don't eat everything. There is a lady hired by the hospital called a dietician. She makes up the menus, so that the food is even in servings, that will give you the proteins and vitamins. But you have to eat everything."

"Sometimes, I get really full. I'm not used to eating so much."

"Yes, that may be. But you have had surgery, and you need everything they put on your tray. The whole meal has been made up that way, so that you get your proper nutrients. You have to build your blood back up. The only way to do that, is to eat everything they send up on your tray. I'm not saying this to pick on you, Sue. I am saying this because it is true. Honey, listen, you have been able to stand up to things others may not have been strong enough to. You have strong friends behind you too, as well as the father of one of your best friends, doing everything he can to make sure you have a good life. If you don't eat everything on your tray, you could become anemic. Anemia is where you have more white corpuscles than red ones, in your blood stream, and if that happens, you will become very sick. Sue, everybody here is so proud of you, and your nurses have nothing but nice things to say about you. So please sweetie, eat everything on your tray."

"I'll try Mandy."

"Don't try, eat everything on your tray."

"Yes, Mandy."

She left with my tray, and went back by the nurses desk. She was writing somthing down in, probably my chart, and when she was done, she looked at me through the window. My room was right next to the nurses station, and they could see me through the window. My roommate had been brought back in, and had been sleeping a lot. She woke up when Mandy left.

"Hi Sue, my name is Carol. I had my tonsils out. I heard Mandy say something about you had surgery. Are you all right?" She talked in whispers, because her throat was very sore.

"Yes Carol, I am. It is nice to meet you. But I can't get out of bed just yet though. I have to stay in for a few days, so I am going to be very bored. My mom and sister come to visit me, and they stay all day, if they can. Mom works, and Bobbie goes to school. They should be up here, or at least mom should be here in a few minutes."

"No, I am here. I have been told that you're not eating everything on your tray. Honey, please don't worry me like this. The food they give you, is so you can build your blood back up. When you have surgery, you lose a certain amount of blood. Because of that, you lose a lot of proteins and vitamins. So you need to eat everything on your tray, so that you can have healthy blood. That is what keeps us alive, so honey, please, eat everything they bring up for you."

"All right, mom. But everytime I try to eat everything, I get really full, and I can't eat any more. I'm not trying to do this on purpose, but, they give me way too much."

"Honey, when you get home, you can go back to your old eating habits. But for right now, please eat everything on your tray. They give you that amount of food, to give you the necessary proteins and vitamins to build up your blood. Please, sweetie, for me and Bobbie?"

"Yes, mom."

She smiled when she said, "that's my girl."
 
 
Part II - Susan goes home.
 
 
Susan was in the hospital for another week, and she was allowed to go home. Susan had healed almost completely, and there was just a very little healing left to do, but she was allowed to go home, and return to school.

When she got home, there was a loud shout of surprise, and then she saw the banner across the living room door that led to the kitchen. Everybody was there, including David. She put her hands over her mouth so her scream would be a little muffled, and she gave Mrs. Granger, Bobbie, Cindy, Mr. and Mrs. Marks, David, and all the girls. Everybody was there for her before, and they were there for her now. Today was the first day of the rest of her life, and she was going to enjoy every minute of it.

The party included rock and roll music, and the favorites of the girls was Elvis Presley and Ricky Nelson. Susan danced as well as she could, with David, who was just happy to know his ... girlfriend? ... was really a girl. Anyway, the children had such a good time, it was bed time all too soon. With a lot of 'oh darns' and 'do we have to's', the party broke up, and, after hugs all around, the parents took their children home. Susan wanted to help clean up, but Mrs. Granger told her no, she should go up to bed because she still needed her rest, so that she could heal properly. Tomorrow was Saturday, and she could sleep in. But she had to have breakfast before lunch time.

Susan went up to get her nightgown, and a clean pair of panties, and go to take a shower. She was still a little sore and tender, so she couldn't sit in the tub yet. She grabbed her robe and slippers, too, and went to take her shower. She brushed her teeth first, and then turned on the shower. She made sure it was the right temperature, and got in to wash all over. She washed her hair twice, and conditioned it twice, and then got out, grabbing a towel, as she did so.

She patted herself dry, and patted very softly where she had her surgery. Just as she was about to put her panties on, Mrs. Granger came in with a sanitary napkin, and a sanitary napkin belt. She instructed Susan how to use everything, and how to place the sanitary napkin, and then she could pull up her panties. She then put on her nightgown, and robe, then stepped into her slippers. Giving Mrs. Granger a hug, she said good night, and went to bed.

In the two weeks that followed my coming home, I went to school, and I was asked how come I wasn't dressing like that goofy old tomboy I "used to be". I got a lot of compliments on finally dressing as the girl I am, and I have even attracted the eye of a certain boy. Have I ever mentioned David? When I got home that Friday after school, mom told me that we had another court hearing on Monday. I was kind of happy, but I was also sad, because now my mother is going to know the truth. Mom said that Mr. Marks had given copies of the medical papers of my physical, and the operation, to the court, and Mr. Connors. Mom also said that Mr. Connors might try some of his courtroom antics, just to delay the start of the hearing.
 
 
Court Reconvenes
 
 
Monday came, and mom woke me up, saying we had to get going. I wasn't sore any more where I had the operation, so I took a nice bubble bath. I got out my clothes while the water was filling the bathroom with a rose scent. I got out my nice cream colored dress, a white pair of panties, a white training bra, a white full slip, and my knee high, double knit socks. I laid everything on the bed, and went back to the bathroom. After getting in the tub, I just sat there thinking of what today was going to bring.

"Susan," mother yelled up the stairs. "Don't dawdle sweetie, we haven't got time. We have to be at court in two hours."

"Yes, mom," I answered her back. I washed all over, and then pulled the plug, I rinsed off the rest of the suds with the shower, and grabbed a soft terry cloth towel. I patted myself dry, and put my robe and slippers on, and went back to my room to get dressed.

"Susan, dear," mother yelled up the stairs again. "Are you getting dressed?"

"Yes, mother."

"All right, breakfast is ready when you come down."

It was a very nice feeling living here with the Grangers. Bobbie has been my friend since before kindergarten, and so has Cindy. Both of their families were very nice, and always did things together when the parents weren't working. I was now completely dressed, and I looked in the mirror to make sure everything was straight, and nothing was showing below my dress hem, and I went downstairs to have breakfast.

"Honey, I'm sorry that we don't have time to sit and ponder the universe in the bubbles, but we have to be to court at ten o'clock."

"I know, mom, and I'm sorry. But everytime I get in the tub I just want to float away in to some other world."

"I know what you mean, dear. I want to float like that too." We rubbed noses, and I ate my breakfast. When I was finished, I rinsed off my dishes, and set them in the sink. Mom and I would do them, later.

After making sure everything was in order, except the dishes, we got our coats and purses, and headed for the car. When we were in, mom backed out of the narrow driveway, and we headed for the children's court complex. Bobbie and I sat in th eback, while mom drove, and we were just chatting away, when we pulled in to the children's court complex parking lot. Mr. Marks saw us, and go out of his car, and came over by us.

"Good morning, ladies," he said with a very deep, genuine smile. "Today Susan, your birth mother is going to know that she did wrong. You have been deprived of being raised as a little girl, but you won't be deprived of being a teenage girl. I understand that you and David have been studying together at the library, lately."

I shyly looked at the ground, and did the dig the heel in the ground, and said, "yes, sir."

He put his forefinger under my chin, and smiled at me. "Susie, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be with someone you like. But, let me just say this. If it doesn't work out between you and David, just remember that it is not the end of the world. There is always another boy just up ahead. Do you understand what I mean?"

"Yes, sir. Bobbie, Cindy, I, and the other girls have talked about dating for almost a year now. Mr. Marks, may I ask why adults are always late in telling us things, and when they do, it is about things we already know?"

"You little minx. I think we've created a monster, Anna."

"Hmmm, I think you're right, Mr. Marks." We all giggled, and we were at the window telling the officer who we were. We were told to have a seat, and we would be called. I saw him pick up his telephone, and said something briefly, and about ten minutes later, we were called in to the courtroom.

When we were all seated, the judge came in the courtroom and sat down. In children's court the hearings are very informal. The judge looked around the courtroom, and saw that there were a lot of others, that weren't here before.

"Good morning, everyone. I am Judge Christine Reynolds, and I am hearing this petition. Mr. Marks, this is your petition, so you may start."

"Objection, your honor. The mother has raised her child as a boy, because that is exactly what he is. All of these manufactured reports of the child being a hermaphrodite, is just a courtroom trick by opposing counsel, to try and sway the court."

"Is that the end of your objection, Mr. Connors?"

"Yes, your honor, it is."

"Your objection is over ruled. These reports are by certified medical experts. I assume these gentlemen to my left, in the back row, are the doctors connected with this case."

"Yes, your honor," Mr. Marks intejected. "Your honor, I am going to save the x-rays, and other evidence for a little later. Right now I would like to call Dr. Allen Brinks."

"Doctor, just stand up, and you can be sworn from there and tesify."

After he swore to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, Mr. Marks started asking him questions.

"Dr. Brinks, are you a medical doctor?"

"Yes, sir, I am."

"Did you have occasion to come in contact with the minor child known as Susan Kelly?"

"Yes, I did, sir."

"Would you please tell us, in your own words why and where you came in contact with Susan Kelly?"

"Susan and her court appointed guardian came to my office, because Susan needed to have a physical examination."

"Did you examine Miss Kelly?"

"Yes, sir, I did."

"What if anything, did you find during the course of this physical examination?"

"I found that Miss Kelly's heart, lungs, ears, eyes, and reflexes are all normal. She has no outward skin blemishes, and her tonsils are also normal."

"Did you do anything else in the examination?"

"Yes, sir, I did."

"Tell us what you found, if anything."

"In order to examine a patient, especially a male, for hernias, I place my hand under the sac, and ask him to cough. Miss Kelly coughed, and I didn't feel what I should have. Miss Kelly has no testes, and is not producing any testosterone. Also, the tissue that is supposed to be the penis, is flaccid, and doesn't get erect. When I placed my forefinger and middle finger of my right hand in just a bit further, I wasn't met with any obstruction."

"Dr. Brinks, why is this part of the examination so imporatnat, in Miss Kelly's case?"

"It is important because as I kept presseing my fingers inward, Miss Kelly wasn't feeling any pain, as would a male child."

"Did you come to any conclusions to a degree of medical certainty?"

"Yes, sir, I have."

"What to a degree of medical certainty have you concluded, with regard to Miss Kelly, doctor?"

"That Susan Marie Kelly, who is sitting right there by her guardian, wearing a cream colored dress, is a natural female human being."

"Is this conclusion based on your training, and education as a medical doctor?"

"Yes, sir, it is."

"I have no further questions."

"Mr. Connors, any cross?"

"No, your honor." I could see my birth mother saying something to him, but Mr. Connors just held up his hand, and shook his head.

"Mr. Marks, call your next witness."

"I call doctor Richard Schneider to testify."

"Doctor Schneider, you may be sworn and testify where you are standing."

After being sworn, Mr. Marks started asking him questions.

"Doctor Schneider, have you ever had an occasion to come into contact with Miss Susan Marie Kelly?"

"Yes, I have."

"Would you please tell us the circumstances of why you had come in contact with Miss Kelly?"

"Miss Kelly was referred to the hospital, where I am a surgeon, because in the referral, it was stated that the minor child, Susan Marie Kelly, was a hermaphrodite, and developing like a young woman. The referral asked that I please remove the layers of skin, that on cursory observation, would make her a male, but that she was genetically female, and her XX chromosomes would prove that."

"Objection, your honor. There is no evidence presented that says the minor child has XX chromosomes."

"Over Ruled. Mr. Marks has filed his medical reports on the blood work, the physical examination, the x-rays, and the hospital procedure to remove the useless layers of skin covering the child's vaginal opening. Now, Mr. Connors, if you keep objecting, knowing that we have irrefutable medical evidence showing this child to be genetically female, I will hold you in contempt. I am surprised Mr. Connors, that you are still pursuing this. If Mrs. Kelly had been my client, I would have advised her to withdraw from the case, after signing away her parental rights.

"In all honesty, Mr. Connors, on what I just heard, I am ready to make my decision. But I understand that Mr. Marks has other evidence that will cement what we have just heard, in concrete. Now, Mr. Connors, with your permission sir, may we please proceed?"

"Yes, your honor. I'm sorry."

"Mr. Marks, please continue."

"Your honor, for my next two witnesses, I call Adam and Eve. These two witnesses your honor are the punch line of our evidence."

"Please proceeed, I am very curious about this."

The deputy sheriff brought in two skeletons. One was a male skeleton, and the other was a female one.

"Your honor, just for Mr. Connors education, it is a medical fact that the skeletons of the male and the female human being are different in stature as well as girth. You will notice your honor," he said pointing to the male skeleton, "that the male skeleton has a broader upper torso, and the rib cage is a little more spread out, than the female skeleton," he said, pointing to Eve. "Your honor, I know we all know that the female skeleton is smaller than the male, but, where the male skeleton is narrower at the hips, you will see that the female skeleton is wider at the hips, and I point out your honor, that the pelvic openings are larger on the female than they are on the male.

"When we had Miss Kelly take her x-rays, we were told that Miss Kelly will be able to carry children without a problem, because she has the wide pelvic girdle that every female has. Your honor, I would like to recall Dr. Brinks, to tell us about Miss Kelly's x-rays."

"Objection, your..."

"Over ruled."

"Your honor, I have the right to have my objection heard."

"Oh! I am so sorry, Mr. Connors, but I thought I was the judge in this courtroom." She reached for her name plate, and looked at it. "Yes, I certainly am, unless of course Mr. Connors, you use the alias of Christine Reynolds? Now sit down, because Dr. Brinks is a qualified medical expert, and can interpret these x-rays, as can any other medical doctor, or radiology technician. You may continue, Mr. Marks. Dr. Brinks, you are still under oath."

"Dr. Brinks, can you show us on these x-rays of Miss Kelly, exactly why this child is not a male?"

He put up two x-rays with a light behind it, and started showing how my skeleton was that of a female, including right down to the pelvic openings. He said that he had also seen the blood work analysis, and that with the x-rays, just proves that I am a genetic girl.

"Is that all, doctor?"

"Yes, your honor it is.

Mr. Marks, is there anything else?"

"Yes, your honor, I would like to amend my petition to include the name of Angela Kelly, a minor female, two years old, still in Mrs. Kelly's custody. I move the court, to remove the female minor child, Angela Kelly from her mother's custody, and place her in the custody of Mr. and Mrs. Ganger, because they already have custody of Susan Marie Kelly, Angela's older sister."

"I strenuously object, your honor. There is no evidence presented to show that the two year old minor, is in any danger, or has been maliciously, or otherwise mistreated."

"I will reseve judgement on that amendment, Mr. Connors, until after I have asked Mrs. Kelly a few questions.

Just then a man was shown in to the courtroom, and after talking to Mr. Marks, Mr. Marks made another motion.

"Your honor, I am sorry. I wouldlike to reopen, because we have a rebuttal witness that can testify that Mrs. Kelly did know that her first born child was female."

"Objection, your honor. I have not had an opportunity to depose this witness."

"I'm sure that you can do that on cross, counselor. Objection over ruled. Swear your witness, Mr. Marks."

After the man was sowrn, Mr. Marks started.

"Sir, will you state your name, and occupation for the record?"

"My name is Benjamin Stark, and I am a gynecologist in Des Moines, Iowa."

"Did you bring your files from 1948, with you, doctor?"

"Yes, I did."

"Is there any mention of a Mrs. Margaret Kelly, in those files?"

"Yes sir, there is?"

"Why is she mentioned in your files, doctor."

"Because I delivered her child, whom she name Ronnie."

"Would you be able to identify that child now, doctor?"

"No sir, but I can identify Mrs. Kelly."

"And is Mrs. Kelly in the courtroom?"

"Yes, sir, she is. She is sitting next to that man," he was pointing to Mr. Connors, "wearing a green dress."

"Let the record reflect the doctor identified the mother of Susan Marie Kelly."

"So ordered."

"Now doctor, after you delivered the child to Mrs. Kelly, did you notice anything different, in the child's physiology?"

"Yes I did."

"What if anything, did you notice."

"I noticed an overgrowth of skin between the infant's legs, that would seemingly make the child male, but it wasn't solid like a male's penis and small sac would be. In fact, there was no physical sac."

"Did you tell this to the mother?"

"Yes I did, and I wanted her to bring the child in for a check up, and x-rays."

"Did Mrs. Kelly bring the child in?"

"No she didn't. When she didn't show up, I went back to the house, only to find she had moved."

"What did you do then, if anything?"

"I looked at my records, and saw that she listed her employment as a secretary for the Iowa Deaprtment of Health. I called there looking for her, and when they wanted to know why, I told them it was a medical emergency, and that I was calling from the hospital. They told me she had quit her job, and wanted her last check mailed to her to her mother's house in Wisconsin."

"Did you check any further, doctor."

"Yes, I did, and I found her living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but she refused to take the child in for any medical checkups. When a child is born at home, it is routine to have the child brought in to be check up on."

"Was there anything you could legally do, at that point, doctor."

"No, well, I could have reported her, but she was in another state, and the infant was her child."

"I see. Doctor Stark, is it your testimony sir, that you did tell the mother about the birth defect, and that her first born was in fact, a female?"

"Yes, sir, it is."

"Nothing further, your honor."

"Mr. Connors, do you have any questions for the witness?"

"No, your honor."

"All right we have been here now for four hours, and I am famished. This court is adjourned one hour for lunch."

We left to go get a little lunch, and talk about what just happened in the courtroom. When we all got to the restaurant, we all had to have two tables pushed together the long way, so we could all sit together. I ordered just a small salad, with milk, Bobbie and Cindy ordered the same. Mom ordered a bowl of soup with her salad, and Mr. Marks ordered a giant burger, with a double order of fries. We just looked at him like he was nuts or somethings. Then when our orders were brought to us, he was telling us what happened in court.

"Well Susie, we won. When we go back in court, the judge will say a few things, she will remind me that I had made a motion to amend my petition, and then she will make her decision. Judge Reynolds does not like any parent who knows he or she is mistreating their child. She is a mother herself, and seh knows the the value of bringing up a child the right way.

"All the doctors that tesified, will have to come back, in case Mr. Connors wants to reopen his case, and ask them any questions. Judge Reynolds will even ask him if he has anything more, and depending on his answer, the judge will make her ruling."

We were finished eating, and Mr. Marks paid the bill, and we went back to the court center.

"All right everybody, we're back in session now. Mr. Connors, I am only going to ask you one more time, do you have any evidence to present?"

"No, your honor."

"Very well, Mrs. Kelly, you have heard all the testimony, and seen all the evidence that everyone has seen. Can you tell this court why you absconded from Iowa with your child, instead of taking her in for a medical examination?"

"Because I could see he was a boy, so there was no need to take my child in for a medical examination."

"I see. Now, Mrs. Kelly, why did you want your child to be raised as a boy?"

"Because he was outwardly male. I didn't see anything that said he was a female."

"Mrs. Kelly, are you a doctor of medicine?"

"No."

"Then why didn't you listen to the doctor?"

"Because my child is male."

"Mrs. Kelly, did you hear what all the expert witnesses testified too?"

"Yes, I did."

"What do you have to say about what they said?"

"Well, they're lying. My oldest child is a male."

"Mrs. Kelly, you seriously need psychiatirc help. How can you sit there and say that medical experts, that have no reason to lie, are lying?"

"Well, they are. I have changed my child's diapers from the time he was born."

"I have heard enough. Mr. Marks, your amendment to your petition to remove Angela Kelly from the custody of Mrs. Kelly, is hereby granted, and it is hereby ordered that the said Angela Kelly will be placed in the safe custody of Mrs. Anna Granger, who has fostered many children in her home. It is also hereby ordered that the CHIPS petition is also granted, and the court is satisfied that Ronnie Kelly, whose name shall be forever hereafter known as Susan Marie Kelly, is genetically female, and it is ordered that the said Susan Marie Kelly will remain in the Granger household. It is so ordered, and the sheriff's department is to be dispatched forthwith, to remove the said Angela Kelly from the Kelly household, and delivered to Mrs. Anna Granger. It is so ordered, and I will leave this case open for one year. Court is adjourned."

I was so sad for my birth mother, because even after hearing the doctors testify, she still wanted to believe that I was a male. The judge is right, she needs a headshrinker. Mother and Mr. Connors were the first to leave, with mother crying. I am just glad that this is all over.

"Hey, why so sad, young lady?"

"Because I really feel sorry for her. She will never learn." Mr. Marks just nodded, and we headed out to the cars.

"You little bitch, you ruined everything!"

Mr. Connors had to restrain my birth mother, and then a deputy sheriff came out, and said he had seen her lunge at me, and placed mother under arrest. It is like I said, she will never learn.
 


 
To Be Continued...

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

its so sad

at first i thought that her mother was just misinformed and very stubborn. I had really thought after hearing such irrefutable evidence that she would change her mind and start loving susan. I still think she could if she is able to see her now with no male parts.
But im starting to think her birth mother is just an idiot

This is a great read.

I just found this story and have read it from its beginning to this latest installment in one sitting. I think it is a really, really great story. The characters are very believable.

I have the feeling that there will have to be a restraining order placed against Sue's biological mother.

It will be interesting to see how the plot develops further. Keep up the great work.

Amanda P

1962

is this story supposed to take place in 1962? Susan tried to argue with her mother about how advanced the time was and people were allowed to be who they wanted. I didnt live during that time but reading back, it seems a very bigoted time. especially in the south where i think this story is also supposed to be. Segregation was active then, homosexuality was considered a mental disease. I remember watching a documentry about what the Freedom Riders went though and they were eventually lynched. Forget gender identity that wouldnt even have been considered. I think the average redneck country judge the was almost all the south had at the time would have ordered the child to be taken to a mental asylum and electro shock therapy would have been administered. but im glad she got a very open minded judge , im sure they were around but very rare in the south. most of the judged, officers and statesmen in the south were Klan

This story takes place in the winter of 1961.

This does not take place in the south, but in the north midwest. As for sexual identity, this story actually probes the mistreatment of a child that is a hermarphrodite, and was cruelly treated by her birth mother. We say intersexed today, but even that doesn't come close to Susan's circumstances. There are children born with layers of skin that at a cursory glance would seem they are male, but it is a simple surgical procedure to remove those layers of skin, so the child can grow up normally. Like I said in the chapter 15, these procedures are usually done at birth. The procedure would have, if Susan had been born in a hospital. But in 1948 and even through the mid 1950's, a lot of children were born at home. That is when doctors still made house calls. But I am also here to tell you too, that I had no problems with my sexual identity back then, because my friends were there for me. Why? I don't know, and I never look a gift horse in the mouth either. I was just thankful I had those friends.

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forebearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

midwest

thank you for correcting me. This is taking place in the Midwest. I wonder what susan ruined?

What did Susan ruin?

I have a very good idea what it is.

Hello Barbara!! ^____^ ;-D

It would deal with in producing a male heir. To keep the family line going for one thing. There could be a siginifcant amount of money involved in the inheritance. Mom was counting on that to get herself out of the situation she was in. Then the next question is what is her family background? Her own family or the one she married into?

The male child would have to marry and produce another male child. That can be a major obstacle if there are no male childs produced.

There could be other reasons. But that is up to Miss Barbara here what the next chapter is. Either way, we'll have to wait for the next chapter. Have a wonderful week.

Rachel

With the comment made to

With the comment made to Susan by "Mommy Dearest" about "ruining everything", I am wondering if there is an ulterior motive behind her continual referencing Susan as a boy?
Is she in line for an inheritance as long as she produces a male heir? Hummmmm?
Other than that, "Mommie Dearest" is very decidely off her proverbial rocker. J-Lynn

It may not be anything sinister in mom's comment (revised)

She may simply, in her confused/delusional state morning the dissolution of her *perfect* family. Perhaps in her mind she sees her *son* Ronnie's insisting *he* was a girl as the cause of her family breaking up. Her lunging at Susan shows she has snapped. Maybe it will lead to her getting help. Sisan/Ronnie would not want to see her suffering so. Despite the problems she loves her mom and wishes all was well.

As to her insistence that Ronnie is a boy, if she is to be believed, she holds women in very low esteem. I don’t remember from earlier in the story, maybe it was never mentioned, but I assume Ronnie/Susan’s mom was abandoned by the father, possibly even dumped for another woman. Or maybe she was raped, though an unwed mother in those days would likely be pressured to give up her child.

Whatever the reason there was never a male presence in the family as far as I can see. I get the impression the birth mom is unhappy being female, envies males and maybe secretly wishes she was one? Mom is clearly mentally ill and needs help. Her alternating between ignoring/lecturing her *son* and her suddenly becoming very mothering and considerate is odd. It is as if she is two people. Is she bipolar or mildly schizophrenic? And why did she never take Ronnie to a doctor of hospital as the doctor at the birth advised? Is she morbidly afraid of doctors, did something terrible happen to her years before? Did she realize the truth of Ronnie’s sex and fear a doctor would take Ronnie away from her? How did she get around the required medical checkup for school? Does Ronnie/Susan even have his/her inoculations/shots?

It is so sad. I don’t think she is evil, just badly in need of mental health care. I would hope years later, but not so many she can’t be part of their lives, mom gets well and they can rebuild what was lost. But then I’m a softy at heart.

Very well done and the bits about early 1960’s Milwaukee WI are spot on, I should know, I was a little kid in ‘tosa then and was taken downtown to see the Gimbals-Schuster Christmas windows and the Circus Parades when Schlitz paid for them. And those 3rd of July Fireworks displays near the War Memorial/Art Center, Wow!

One minor oops though. I quote …

>>
"When George Washington crossed the Potomac River, why was he standing up in the boat?"
>>

Um, that was the Delaware River … during his brilliant Christmas/New Year’s attacks British/Hessian forces in New Jersey.

A very minor quibble about a very nicely done story.

John in snowy, again, Wauwatosa

P.S. I forgot about the two year-old sister. That and the mom having a social worker seems odd to me. There is no recollection of a dad from Susan, so where did her sister come from? The social worker is odd too unless she gets welfare aid as a widow or low income or for disability of some sort? Why is there a social work involved at all and apparently long before Susan declaring she was a girl?

What was mom up to just prior to Susan leaving home for good at the advice of her lawyer, have her*son* put in a mental clinic as *insane*? It was far easier to involuntarily commit someone back then and the social worker sounds like a crony of the mom form Susan's description of her.
Danged but you have a clever yarn going here, Barbara Lynn …

Ack! You have the same first name as my evil Blonde sister.

John in Wauwatosa

Fantasy, Fact, and Fiction

I've been very conflicted while reading this story. I haven't been able to stop reading it, so that's a recommendation right there!

It's an age old fact that men and women have different brains. If you've ever been to a movie with a member of the opposite sex, you have no doubt about that, I'll bet!

Women read or watch a story primarily for the social and emotional interplay between the characters or between themselves and the story. Men tend to watch a story with an eye towards facts and figures, logic, and methodology. This can lead to a couple viewing a movie together and having entirely different ideas of what they've seen.

I'm finding this story working quite well from the social and emotional viewpoints. The male part of my brain is going a bit nuts, though, pointing at this and that minor discrepancy, inconsistency, and so forth.

It's hard for me, my brain such as it is, to keep all that stuff in check, but the truth of the matter is most of it doesn't matter to the flow of the story, and we have to let ourselves enjoy the part that's really important, which here is the emotional arc of the story.

Anyway, for those interested in the (you should pardon the expression) nuts and bolts of intersex conditions, here are a couple of interesting links on the subject in general (and the second doesn't apply to Susan as depicted, as PAIS patients don't menstruate): http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001669.htm http://www.medhelp.org/ais/23_PAIS.HTM
Much of this knowledge is still unfolding, and much less was known in 1961, of course.

As far as this story goes, I find the end of this chapter would actually work quite well as an end to the story. Just add some dramatic music, a poignant close-up, and roll the end credits, while the audience dabs at their eyes and passes around the pocket packs of Kleenex!

I know it doesn't matter now, but-

Were the vitamin pills that Ronnie was being given really vitamin pills or was the mother trying to make her into a male with testosterone etc?

Great chapter!

lOL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita