healing child - chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

The Healing Child
By
Angel O’Hare and Willow Marie
 ©December-2008

This story is based on a challenge by Angel :) thankies girlie :)

Chapter 1

The first thing I realized when I opened my eyes is that I was no longer under water. The last thing I could remember is our car slowly sinking in ice cold water during the darkest of nights. No moon, heavy low clouds and rain, constant heavy rain.

My dad was driving and some idiot big rig driver came zooming by us and fishtailed wildly sticking the front driver’s side door hard with the tail end of the trailer.

Our car then turned violently to the right and went up onto the guardrails in front of a bridge. We continued going forwards and then sideways as our car twirled in the air before hitting hard and flat wheels down onto the surface of the river.

The wind was knocked out of me, my mom was screaming and my dad was unconscious head bloodied and bleeding.

For some reason I wasn’t able to get my breath back fast enough and was passing out as I watched my mom clam down and shake my dad and just as she was looking at me, I passed out.

I did feel ice cold water start covering my feet and then progress to reaching up to my knees, but that is all I can remember.

I’m in the hospital as I look around and next to me in another bed is my mom fast asleep. My dad is no where to be seen.

No clocks on the walls just a rhythmic beeping sound coming from somewhere behind me. I twist my body and look behind me to see wires from me leading to a machine that has colored squiggly lines and numbers next to symbols I have no idea what they mean.

I hear an abrupt change to the beeping rhythm as I keep moving around a few seconds later a nurse appears at the side of my bed. She speaks to me softly just above a whisper and tells me I’m safe now and that my mommy is in the next bed over.

She makes me lie still as she checks me over and then peels back my covers and I gasp seeing that I have a tube coming out my penis, She reassures me that it is just to collect my urine while I was unconscious and getting IV’s it will be removed very soon now that I’m awake.

She asks me some silly questions that I answer and she seems happy. Then my mother is holding my hand and is thanking God for not taking her son along with her husband. I then realize my dad is dead and she then realizes what she had said.

We both spent some time crying while we held each others hand. I couldn’t believe my dad was gone.

The next hour is spent with my mom telling me everything that I had missed. We were very lucky that a state policeman was actually chasing down the trucker and had witnessed everything that had happened.

He called immediately for river rescue and followed our cars progress down the river as it slowly sank with just the roof visible along with our head and tail lights.

River rescue was just two miles away and were soon at our car and removed me first, then my mom, and then my already deceased Dad. He died of a massive head injury.

The trucker was actually caught 50 miles away on another interstate. He had thought he had gotten away when the state policeman stopped chasing him and followed our progress down the river.

It seemed as if the driver was very intoxicated when he tried pulling out in front of us, and that was what caused him to crash into us.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets off,” Mommy told the nurse, when she asked. I couldn’t believe my mommy thought that the person who had hurt our family would think of something so sad.

All at once, I started crying. It was because I was suddenly in so much pain that I could barely speak. As the nurses were rushing around, trying to figure out what was wrong with me, my mommy gasped, and she was bleeding.

There was too much blood, the doctors told me later, and they were unable to save her. I cried then, both from the pain of what was happening to me, but also for both my parents. No one knew how much more pain I was in, but it was not something I wanted people to see.

“Why was he wearing panties,” I heard the doctors ask the nurses. They must have been referring to the underwear they removed when I arrived.

“I’m not sure Doctor,” the nurse said, “but as long as they give him or her comfort, isn’t that all for the best right now?

“I am not so sure,” he replied, and came over to see me.

“What is your name, little one,” he asked.

“Angel,” I replied.

“But you are a boy. You can’t be Angel.”

“My mommy said I was a girl on the inside, just not the outside. My mommy wouldn’t lie to me.”

“I am so sorry,” he replied and moved away.

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Predictable

This looks predictable. But, there again, I've been wrong before.

Good description of the crash scene.

Susie

Great work Willow!

I'm glad you took up the challenge! Congratulations!

Huggles

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Looks Good Willow

Waiting to see where you take the story.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Willow Marie, thank you so much for taking up my challenge.

You did far more than just continue with the beginning I wrote, you rewrote the beginning as well and I love it! This is no longer a collaboration or a co-authored story Willow, this is truly your story!

Congratulations and you can officially remove my name and just use yours as the author!

Huggles Willow

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Great start

I hope you continue, you sure have me waiting for more. I cried when his mother died, just as I did when I wrote Matt's Dilemma. Why do we do that to ourselves as authors I wonder.

Thanks Again
SaraD

Grrrrrreat Start

I really like the first chapter. I think this is going to be something extra special. I look forward to the rest of the journey.

thanks for sharing, Maggie the Kitten