A Glass Half-Full (Chapter 2)

Printer-friendly version

(Removed to make Glass available via Kindle Unlimited)

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very interesting - but not funny...

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Well, OK, it's funny in a few places.

Hi Chaos,

What I don't get, is how chapter one relates to chapter two.

Well written and, ok, I'm hooked, but not quite flopping around in the bottom of the boat yet.

Thanks for posting.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Oh come on, I can't have you

Oh come on, I can't have you flopping around in the boat in chapter two. We need at least three chapters where you run with the line and its a fight for every inch. After that, there's at least one chapter of fumbling with the net and the boat almost tipping over and spilling me into the water too. Then, and only then, will you be flopping around in the bottom of the boat. ;)

This Story Sounds Very Interesting

Will be interesting to see how she handles being a girl.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

No problem with imagination

This is good. VERY good! I'm instantly in synch with the character, which is unusual for me and a magic story. It's not like I have a whole lot of spare time right now, but I guess I'll be making some to keep up with this. The only quibble is the 9mm Beretta, for a girl her size that is liable to be too big for her hands. At least the Berettas I've handled.

http://www.hackworth.com/berretta.html

Karen J.


"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
Sir Charles Panther


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

"I didn't typically use a

"I didn't typically use a pistol, they were too unreliable in some magical situations, but I was a pretty good shot. The Beretta wasn't a bad weapon, but I wasn't sure why it was the weapon for Dawn. Probably someone's personal choice just so they had something to use to get the permits."

I do my homework. :)

Kristin

Someone's personal choice?

Diesel Driver's picture

Ouch! Whoever made that choice (the character we never see, not the author) should have also done their homework. LOL. They get a D or maybe a C-. They should have looked at the size of the hands and compared the size of the grips. I have small hands for a man and I am sure they are larger than a 5' girl/woman's hands would be and I have trouble using the correct grip on a Beretta 9mm. Consequently I decided to buy a Beretta 3032, Tomcat. Shoots 32 ACP and is a nice concealable weapon for emergency use. Easy on the recoil which allows better aiming. Kristin, I'm curious, do you do any shooting for recreation?

Chris in CA

Chris

Gremlins R Us

terrynaut's picture

I love the gremlin battle scene. Having it drink from a black ink cartridge is too funny. :)

The shopping was interesting. It was mostly girl shopping from a guy's perspective but I loved the thrill she got from finding the poet shirt in her size.

Then there's the cyber green bug. Ugh. I still cringe when I think about it. I know Dawn couldn't be too picky about color. She needed to get a car right away, but why cyber green?! *shiver*

Of course I'm just kidding around. This is a fun story and it makes me playful. Okay? :)

Thanks and please keep posting. I see chapter 3 is available. Yay!

- Terry

Too many TG tropes

"neatly groomed and glossed nail." Um... how? She's just been transformed, if anything she should look horrible with deformed overgrown nails. I mean they'd need to grow to really shrink in width... I think. Um, sorry for the realism ;)

David seems a bit too less weirded out with his change. "Cool, I can sing again, so who cares if I'm a girl now. Let's check this body out... masturbation seems cool, but I should do something else right now." That seems very odd, even for a mystic like David. Actually I have a hard time to imagine anyone who's reacting like this when he hasn't experienced it before. It's more like something that would happen in one of John Varley's eight world books where sex changes are common.

That whole scene feels off somehow. It seems wrong even if David was really transgendered before, because his reaction isn't enthusiastic or disbelieving enough and not shocked enough for anyone else. The whole thing reads too much like a TG fantasy. Davida is admiring her new body, which strangely looks perfect for some unknown reason. And her first thought is to get new clothing. I'm not sure if you attempted humor here, because that's like TG-tropes central. I gather you're not the big fan of angst, but you should use it here, at least a bit.

Good thing is you let her have real problems, like the child services. That adds the realism you totally lost with the waking-up-scene.

I'm not sure about the makeup thing. I mean I know nothing about american youth culture, but is a girl going out without makeup really that weird? If she's not trolling for boys or trying to impress other girls, why bother?

Then she suddenly thinks using the wome's toilet weird. Seriously, after taking her transformation like a seasoned gender changer, she's weirded out by the idea of changing clothes in a women's toilet. Weird.

The fight scene with the little darkness monster was cool btw. It's a nice idea to lighten the shopping stuff up. The shopping itself has a bit too many details for my liking, but it doesn't really hurt. It would probably better if you'd combine the shopping with her feelings about her new gender. Would be the perfect opportunity to add some angst or gender dysphoria.

Cool scene with the policeman. Although I'd like to know why it resolved without trouble. I hope to learn this later :)

The whole affair seems to be more than a "simple" sex-change, David seems to have had a gender change on top of it, considering how easily she deals with the situation. If it's the latter there should be some more explanation earlier after the change.

The bra shopping gets annoying. I just wished she was done with it and the main storyline could continue. What happens next... shoe shopping. The only good thing is the woman and her son's problems.

"Four hundred dollars was more than half a month's rent" Isn't that like mega expensive for a one room apartment? I mean that would be like 800$ a month for her place. That's really much for a one bedroom apartment, or are american apartments that expensive? I pay about 400€ warm for my place...

Only when she's home we get some real information. Apparently not everone can have magic. Nice surprise that she doesn't lack money, but it makes the former sstuff somewhat superflouus. The whole thing feels like planting checkov's guns.

I think this chapter needs some serious cutting. Try to limit the shopping to one scene, I really don't need to know every shirt she buys. You're very thorough listing her financial/life-assets. This gives the story the feeling of a computer game RPG where you can look at a stats screen. It was really weird when you listed all her liscences and cards.

This was the worst chapter so far. Too much fetish fuel in the beginning and not enough plot in general. Or maybe I'm just bored with TG-shopping tours. The plot relevant information seemed rather forced in the end. I guess that was because you've just wrote that much about the mall.

Anyway, worst chapter is definitly relative. The previous chapters were better, but this one definitly also had its funny sides. I just had too many "um... what?!" moments.

Sorry if this comes off somewhat disjointed, it's probably a bit too late here to write serious critic. I kinda hope this helps though. Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

Surprised?

David was magically changed by a power akin to the power God is supposed to wield, and you are surprised that the level of details is so exact? I hate the 'shopping' trope as much or more than you do, but I didn't find this overly excessive. I suspect that some of the day's activities were according to the plan the 'powers' have for David. It was a bit of a shakedown for David in his new appearance, from the "sink or swim" school of training.

Oh, the rent for a house (not apartment) with the nice size yard can easily exceed $1000 a month, plus utilities. I could easily rent out my two-bedroom house with attached garage for $15000 - $18000 (which I may have to do).

Sorry, but I really enjoyed this chapter, and indeed the whole story. I just wish Chaosdancer would finish it! :-(


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I pretty much enjoy it

I pretty much enjoy it myself, but this chapter was well... my least favourite. I didn't quit reading it or something, I just went to bed afterwards :) Actually I'm not quite sure what means were used to change David. For all I know it was magics by that Sidhe woman. Or did I miss something?

Yeah, for a house... is it really a house? I thought it was an apartment.

Maybe it was because I was tired, but after a few paragraphs I began to skim over the shopping stuff until something interesting happened. It felt like Kristin had forced TG-wishfullfillment on an awesome urban fantasy story.

Actually Kristin wrote that she wants to publish the complete story as an E-book soonish. She asked for serious critic, that's why I'm doing this :)

And because the story is so good that I don't mind reading it a second time ;)

Hmm... let me explain a bit

One of the things I was going for here is the use of the logical, practical mind to compensate for the shock of the irrational.

Even for someone heavily experienced in the occult/esoteric, the truth is that events just don't happen to this degree in the 'real world.' Which, by the way, is the world that this story is meant to occur... our own world, where few people happen to peek behind the curtains and see just what makes reality tick. And, as many people have noted; the esoterics of the story are very 'real' because they mostly come from my own experiences. No, I don't know anyone who's gotten shape shifted by elves... but I've encountered sentient forces that would make the most rational scientist wet their pants and consider religion, I've seen things manifest energy where there was no evidence that could have been 'scientifically' proven, and I've done things with empathy and healing that could not be explained by doctors. But most of those events happened within the boundary of a circle... or under very specific conditions where Law (note the capital L) was less rigidly imposed on the world.

Yes, those things are exaggerated to serve the story and the urban fantasy setting. But rational humans, even the ones with experiences like my own; tend to rationalize events. We find ways to compensate for events that we don't understand. Some things we simply forget or misplace in our memories. Others we explain in ways that make sense... or we fill with the details that seem sane so no one realizes quite how much the truth freaks us out. I can't tell you how many times in my early adult years that I could talk about events... evening long discussions, experiments, and so forth; that no one else remembered. Or remembered differently.

In the story, Dawn is coping with something so 'impossible' even for what 'he' is willing to believe; that he reacts by grounding himself in practical activities. He's a large man, nothing he owns can be worn by a girl this size... so clearly, she needs to have clothing. He's going to have to teach students, which means he needs someplace to do so... he needs to fit in. He's a warrior, so he needs to understand his balance, he needs to be certain he can wield a weapon. And so forth. At no point in this process has he accepted the transformation... he's still in outright denial. As he starts to acknowledge that it has really happened, he gets a number of anchors... the possibility of friends, of love, potential of seeking out his dreams again (music, for instance). Those things will keep him grounded... but that's not the same thing.

And yes, as Beyogi notes; I've asked some folks for targeted feedback while I'm doing some hardcore revisions and reworking prior to an Amazon.com release of the full book (with chapters/epilogue beyond what has been posted here). I'll explain a bit more about the published version and the free release plans when I get closer to finishing (which isn't all that far off now). And given my current plans, success on the published version will determine how quickly I push to complete book two.

well after a..

rough start, it looks like she is being provided with what she is going to need for her students. now what was done to Diane's locker?
on to ch 3, thanks