A Different Plane of Existence - Part 14

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

The final chapter. Will Charlotte be able to live her new life? Will she tell the foster family the truth?

Story:

A Different Plane of Existence

By Karen Page


Part Fourteen

The next morning Kirsty was worried what Charlotte would say about her late night declaration, but Charlotte thought that it had been a dream, so the two of them carried on as if nothing had happened. Charlotte was more worried about having woken the household.

"I'm sorry if I disturbed you all," she apologised over breakfast.

"It isn't a problem," reassured Mrs Wilson. "Losing your parents is always traumatic. If you ever feel like talking about it then it will never go further than this family."

"I know, but it isn't something I feel I can do. I know it helps to talk about things but I'm not ready yet. Perhaps in a few weeks, or months, I'll have the courage."

"Whenever you're ready," said Mrs Wilson patting Charlotte's hand.

"Where do you keep the clean sheets? I think I ruined mine last night."

"You should've said last night and I'd have got some out for you. I was awake and came to your room but Kirsty seemed to be helping you a lot better than I probably could."

"It's good having someone my age," agreed Charlotte, which made Kirsty smile.

"I'll change the sheets after breakfast," offered Mrs Wilson. "I'll also put a few spare bedclothes in the bottom set of drawers of the large chest, in your room. That way you won't have to worry about disturbing us. There's nothing worse that sleeping in sweat covered sheets."

"Thank you."

"Now to something a bit more exciting, do you have a passport?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well we are planning to go away at the end of July and needed to make sure you had everything you needed?"

"Are you sure you want to take me along?"

"Duh," interrupted Kirsty. "You live with us now and are part of the family."

"Of course you must come," insisted Mrs Wilson, frowning at Kirsty's language.

"You've driven to the south of France every year for the last ten years, so there shouldn't be any flying," thought Charlotte but she couldn't let on that knowledge so she asked, "Where are we going?"

"It is a surprise," replied Mr Wilson. It was something they said to all of the children in their care.

"Do I need to take big thick jumpers or light tops and shorts?"

"That's a point; I suppose you do need to know a little bit. It's quite warm where we are going, so mostly light tops and shorts. However, you might want to take a few light jumpers as well, just in case it gets cooler in the evenings."

"Sounds exciting, doesn't it?" Charlotte said to Kirsty.

After breakfast the two girls checked out their wardrobe. Kirsty had grown and didn't have enough clothes for the holidays. Charlotte, who had mostly school clothes, also needed new things.

When Mrs Wilson came in to put on the clean sheets she found that the bed had already been stripped and the window was wide open to clear any lingering smell in the room.

"Mum," started Kirsty. "We need to go shopping. I've grown, so I need a few more things. However, Charlotte has very little. What she mostly has are for late English spring weather and school uniforms."

"I've changed a lot over the last few months," explained Charlotte, "and I haven't had chance or desire to go shopping."

"Would you like me to get some things for you or would you like to choose your own and go shopping with Kirsty?"

"Now that's a difficult one," giggled Kirsty.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but could I go with Kirsty?"

"I thought as much," sighed Mrs Wilson theatrically. "I must remember to foster a younger child next time, who wants their foster mother to shop with them. Let me finish this up and I'll give you a lift into town. You can get the bus back."

"Where will we be going?" Charlotte asked, still unsure of the area. "Gloucester or Stroud?"

"Neither. Stroud is too small and there isn't a good bus back from Gloucester. Anyway, Gloucester might have nice historic sites, but Cheltenham is much better for shopping. There are more fashion shops in Cheltenham than anywhere else in England, apart from London."

"Now no looking at thousand pound dresses," ordered Mrs Wilson. "One, I won't be giving you that much money and two, they won't suit you. They're designed for more mature people."

An hour later and the girls were waving goodbye to Mrs Wilson. Charlotte was glad that she'd managed to do a bit of shopping with Kelly; otherwise she would have really stood out.

Charlotte needn't have worried as Kirsty took instant charge and they were soon trying on clothes and buying very few. "No offence, but you're slightly smaller than me on top," said Kirsty as they tried on some tops. "I wish you could fit this style of top but it doesn't look right."

"I know," agreed Charlotte, rather glad as she wasn't ready to have such a low cut top.

"Now your legs are something we can show off. How do you keep them so hair free?"

"I must be lucky," quickly replied Charlotte, not wanting to explain about the treatment she'd had to remove it, once they had finished with the face. Her leg, chest and back hair had been too hairy for a girl.

After a quick snack, the girls again were shopping but this time their purchases soon mounted up. They found a small sale on in a few stores so were able to get some items very reasonably.

"There is one thing about shopping," laughed Charlotte as they lugged the shopping towards the bus stop. "There's no way I'll have a nightmare tonight, I'll be too exhausted."

"Well if that's the case then we'll need to come shopping more often," giggled Kirsty. "You seemed quite reluctant at first but that soon disappeared."

"Was I?"

"A little. Oh look over there, Charlottes Patisseries. It looks like they have named a cake shop after you. We must nip in and get a cake for Mum and Dad, they love them from here."

"Yep," thought Charlotte. "That is indeed the girl I love, but she is even more fun to be with now. I never got the chance to go out with her where we were both shopping for the fun of it. If Simon had gone then we would have got the items we needed and maybe took in a film."

"You've gone quiet," commented Kirsty. "Are you okay?"

"A bit tired," confessed Charlotte. "I had a disturbed sleep last night and I'm also not used to shopping so hard."

"Well school will be finished in a few weeks time and you'll be able to relax."

"At this rate I'll need that holiday."

* * *

The time till the end of school passed rapidly and it was soon the middle of July. School finished and they were soon looking forward to their holiday. Charlotte continued to have the occasional nightmare, but they weren't ever very severe. Most of them never even disturbed Mr or Mrs Wilson but Kirsty always knew. Even if the sheets weren't soiled, Kirsty insisted that Charlotte join her in bed.

It was the night after school had finished, that Charlotte suffered a particularly bad nightmare. It was bad enough even to wake Mr Wilson who thought someone was attacking the girls. As Charlotte settled into bed next to Kirsty and started drifting off to sleep, she heard Kirsty utter the words, "Sleep well Charlotte. I love you."

Charlotte thought about answering but decided against it. Charlotte had realised that Kirsty only uttered those words when she thought that Charlotte was asleep and therefore wasn't ready to admit anything. "Poor Kirsty must be terribly confused about her sexuality. Should I tell her that I was Simon? Would that help? Probably not, it would just add too many complications. Perhaps after the holiday would be a good time."

The night before their holiday everything was packed and they were sent to bed at 7pm. "Why so early?" whined Kirsty.

"We have a very early getup," explained Mr Wilson. "So get to sleep and 2am will soon be here."

"Come on girls, time to get up."

"It's too early," they both moaned.

"Oh well, you won't want to go then," said Mrs Wilson. "I'll leave you some money and just the two of us will go."

"I'm coming," Charlotte and Kirsty both shouted together as they jumped out of bed.

"We shall have breakfast a bit later," explained Mrs Wilson. "It's far too early."

As the car drove off the two girls decided to get a little extra sleep, so closed their eyes. Neither of them was used to getting up at that time and even though they had been to bed early, they both drifted off.

The car slowing down woke them up and they both looked bleary eyed out of the window.

"What are we doing here?" screamed Charlotte, as she started to panic, suddenly fully awake.

"Do you know where we are?" asked Kirsty.

"This is Gatwick airport," replied Charlotte her eye's wide with fear.

"Ah, you've been here before? Excellent, I'm having trouble finding the car park, can you help?"

"Take the second exit at the next roundabout. Follow the dual carriageway and then come back on yourself. Take the first slip road off and you should see some signs," explained Charlotte as she remembered her parents had the same issue.

"We've been to the south of France for the last few years," explained Mrs Wilson. "We thought it would be a nice change to try something else, so we are going to Disney in Florida."

"Don't the flights to Florida go from the destroyed terminal?"

"That's all been repaired and is perfectly safe. That was a one off incident and you don't need to worry."

"I don't need to worry?" Charlotte's tortured mind screamed. "You haven't suffered being trapped under the rubble and listened as your mother say that she would go to sleep."

"Are you okay?" asked Kirsty as they got on the bus to take them from the car park to the terminal. "You seem nervous. Have you never flown before?"

"I'm not nervous, I'm terrified."

"Don't worry," said Kirsty. "I won't let anything happen to you."

"Oh why didn't I tell them? Why didn't I explain who I was and what had happened to their best friends? I wouldn't be here now if I'd had the courage."

They all queued together and were soon checked in. "I thought we would get here for the check-in desks opening so there wouldn't be much of a queue," explained Mr Wilson proudly for his great planning. "Shall we have breakfast?"

Kirsty and Mrs Wilson agreed and Charlotte just tagged along, not feeling at all hungry. Charlotte reluctantly followed through the x-ray machines in the security check area and was soon airside. Her breath was getting more shallow and stilted.

"What's wrong dear?" asked Mrs Wilson as they sat outside a duty-free shop. "You've been getting more nervous all the time?"

"I don't know if I can do it," said Charlotte her voice full of fear.

"Can't do what?"

"If I can go to the gate."

"Why ever not?"

"Because a plane might crash and it might cause the building to collapse."

"Yes, that happened once, but it is perfectly safe now.

"I JUST CAN'T DO IT!" screamed Charlotte causing other passengers to look.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" asked an official looking gentleman who had been passing. "I'm the airport manger."

"I'm sorry for the fuss but our daughter is a bit nervous about going to the gate."

Something about the voice made Charlotte wipe the tears from her eyes and look at the man. It was Roger Lyons.

"I'm sorry Mr Lyons," said Charlotte.

"Do I know you?"

"I don't think we ever met personally but I came into contact with you. Do the names Brian Fielding and Tom Millard ring any bells?"

"Yes they do," Roger replied, the situation starting to become clear. "Any other names?"

"Just two but not their surnames, Simon and Harry."

Mr and Mrs Wilson looked perplexed at this conversation and Kirsty was looking even more puzzled.

"Would you mind if I had a word with this young lady alone?" Roger asked Mr and Mrs Wilson. "See if I can help with the situation."

"By all means," replied Mr Wilson. "You seem to know each other already."

Roger moved away out of earshot and Charlotte followed under the watchful eye of the Wilson family.

"Simon?"

"I was, but due to that metal strut I'm now called Charlotte. You released a press release that Dr Ruiz faxed across for me."

"That certainly caused a bit of wakeup call to the politicians, didn't it?"

"Did you get into trouble?"

"Not really as it was concerning the incident. If anybody has raised a fuss it would have backfired on them as you had the press on your side."

"My new identity is covered by a court order so I've bent the rules by telling you."

"Don't worry; your secret is safe with me. Now your plane hasn't got to the gate yet, when it does there will be about twenty minutes before passengers start to board. If I get you put straight on the plane without going through the gate, would that be okay?"

"Oh thank you Mr Lyons, I'm sure it's only walking into that area that is worrying me. I'm sure I can cope with being on the plane."

Mr Lyons took out his phone and dialled a number, "This is Roger Lyons, the airport manager. I have a special passenger that due to medical reasons can't enter your flight via the gate. Would it be possible for her and the three she is travelling with to board from the apron?"

Mr Lyons listened for a few seconds and replied, "Excellent, thank you for your help. I will bring them along in thirty minutes."

"Is it all okay?" asked Charlotte.

"It's fine. Shall we go and explain the plan to your travelling companions?"

"I think so, by the way they are my foster parents, Mr and Mrs Wilson, and their daughter Kirsty."

"You look a lot better," said Mrs Wilson as Charlotte walked up to her.

"I'm sorry for the fuss I caused earlier. Mr Lyons has been kind enough to help."

"Oh?"

"In thirty minutes I'll take you to the airplane a slightly different way so that Charlotte doesn't have to go near the area she is terrified of."

"That’s very kind of you," said Mr Wilson. "I hope this won't cause any trouble."

"It is no trouble at all. It is our aim to make your journey through the airport as easy as possible. Charlotte has some very understandable fears due to her history and if driving you to the plane makes her feel better than I will have done my good turn for the day. Why don't we meet in twenty minutes by the information desk? In the meantime, here are some vouchers for you to go grab a cake and coffee while you wait. Hopefully some substance will help Charlotte get herself back together."

With that Mr Lyons left, leaving three very surprised passengers.

"I'm so sorry I've caused this mess," apologised Charlotte.

"It isn't a problem," reassured Mrs Wilson giving Charlotte a hug. "I'm sorry that I didn't take your worries so seriously."

"Are you going to be okay on the plane?" asked Kirsty.

"I think so," said Charlotte. She thought for a moment and with a sigh, reached the only conclusion she could think off. "I suppose that I should explain things to you."

"Only when you are ready," said Mr Wilson seeing the fear in her eyes. He didn't want her to get upset again. Whatever the issue was, it was very real to her. "In the meantime why don't we go and grab that free drink."

"And cake," reminded Kirsty.

At just before the allotted time, they went to the information desk and found Roger Lyons finishing chatting with another passenger. "Ah you are here in good time, excellent. If you follow me I'll have you on the plane in no time. The plane has just docked and you will probably be the first ones onboard."

Kirsty could see that Charlotte was starting to worry again. so she grabbed hold of her hand. "I'm here. Nothing bad will happen."

"I know," replied Charlotte. "Yet I feel I'm being marched out to my death."

They followed Roger through a security door and down a passageway. He unarmed a door and they entered into the warm summer morning. Waiting for them was a minibus in the airport livery. Once aboard the driver took them around the terminal and out to the waiting plane. The minibus stopped outside a door, just under the nose of the plane.

"Okay, we have two flights of stairs and we will be at the entrance to the finger, to walk into the plane. Shall we go?"

Charlotte had started to go from merely nervous to petrified, and looked around for any planes. Her legs didn't want to move and she just stayed glued to her chair.

"There aren't any planes due to come near this area till after your flight is gone," reassured Roger.

"Thanks," Charlotte smiled weakly, looking slightly relieved, though still not moving.

"It's going to be okay," reassured Mrs Wilson.

"Let me help you," offered Kirsty, taking Charlotte by the hand and helping her out of the minibus.

"If you get worried for the flight back, then ask for Grant Plumber. He's the airport manger there and he'll give you every assistance he can."

"Thank you," again said Charlotte her heart pounding as she climbed the stairs. This was the closest she'd been to the accident area. "I don't know what to say."

"Just have a nice holiday and send me a postcard."

"I will do," said Charlotte rushing into the plane as quickly as she could.

On the plane their passports and boarding tickets were checked and they took their seats, the stewardesses making a fuss of them. Charlotte had started to calm down again and Kirsty had released her iron grip.

As they waited for the passengers to start boarding, one of the stewardesses came to them and said, "If any of you have mobile phones, can you please switch them off now."

"They all are," reassured Mr Wilson.

"Good," she replied. "I was one of the passengers on the flight that crashed and my child got his leg broken. A child also was seriously injured and his parents died, buried under that rubble. I always make it my duty to make sure that people follow the rules. The plane now has automatic detection equipment for any mobile phones and yesterday two people were arrested for endangering the flight. This company takes the safety of everyone very seriously."

"How long is it before the passenger's board?" asked Charlotte.

"About fifteen minutes, why?"

"Because I want to tell you and my foster family a story but you must promise to keep it to yourselves?"

They all promised.

"On Saturday April 3rd, a young person was waiting with his parents to fly to America. It was the first time they'd flown and was very excited watching the planes land and takeoff. The plane destined for gate 69 developed a systems malfunction and the plane couldn't stop in time before it crashed into the terminal killing the pilot, a passenger and burying the family alive under the rubble. The child and mother were trapped close together and they shared their memories of growing up. The child was trapped, impaled by a metal strut. The mother was seriously injured and gradually got weaker and lost consciousness just as the rescuers got to them. She died at the hospital from her injuries. The father was found dead"

"That was you, wasn't it?" gently asked Mr Wilson, causing the others to look at Charlotte through eyes of horror.

"Yes," Charlotte replied quietly wondering if she would have the courage to continue with the tale. This had been very hard to do but it wasn't finished.

"No wonder you were frightened of going though the gate," said a shocked Mrs Wilson tears leaking from her eyes. Not only was Mrs Wilson upset but so were Kirsty and the stewardess. Even Mr Wilson looked like he might loose his composure.

"That is how I knew the airport manager. He was there during the whole rescue."

"You were the child that was trapped for all those hours? You were the one that all the crew prayed like mad for?" said the Stewardess in awe.

"You all prayed for me?"

"Yes we did. The thought that something like that was caused by that plane was very traumatic for all the people. I was a passenger that day but I heard what happened. For this flight I'm the chief stewardess and since first class is mostly empty, would you like a free upgrade?"

"Are you sure?"

"It will be my pleasure. Also give me the flight details for your return flight and if there is room, you will fly back in comfort as well. It's the least I can do for someone who has suffered so much and still is flying with us."

When they were all settled in first class the stewardesses disappeared to finish preparing the plane. Kirsty asked, "Why didn't you tell us all of this before?"

"I've not finished the story and then you might understand. This part never leaves the three of you, as quite a few rules were bent for me."

The three of them agreed and Charlotte took a deep breath trying to pluck up the needed strength to continue. She started to shake at the thought of what had happened and what she had been through. Only four months previously Charlotte had been a happy boy called Simon and now Simon's life was over and Charlotte was here to stay.

"You don't have to tell us," said Mrs Wilson with deep compassion.

"I need to. I've gone this far and I don't have much more to go."

"Then tell us," gently encouraged Kirsty, putting her hands over Charlotte's. "We're all here for you. Just tell us and you'll have it off your chest."

"Okay," said Charlotte, the tears of worry and tension, gently trickling down her cheeks. She took a deep breath and continued, "As I said earlier, I was trapped in the rubble by a metal strut. It was impaled through my male genitals. They were totally destroyed and the doctors advised that I was given a sex change as I would no longer be able to be a boy. Since my parents weren't available it went before a judge. My name used to be Simon Turner and my parents were Helen and Chris."

Charlotte bowed her head, letting the tears flow freely. "I've told them and now I'll have to live with it." She braced herself for the shouting. It never came but instead she got covered in hugs from all three of them.

"Why didn't you say before," the parents asked, sounding rather puzzled and perplexed.

"I knew it, I knew it," almost shouted Kirsty giving Charlotte a kiss and then reality start to kick in. "You've had two periods since I've known you and you can't fake symptoms like that."

"Yes, didn't you have a period last week? When I did the washing, I'm sure I put stain removed on your panties to remove the blood," puzzled Mrs Wilson.

"That's one of the things that I can't tell you about, just so you know that I do have periods and I could get pregnant."

"But that’s impossible!"

"Like I said, I can't tell you the details as a few people bent a lot of rules for me."

"But why?"

"So I could live as normal a life as possible. Look, I know you are probably confused, upset and angry. I'm sorry."

"We aren't angry," said Mrs Wilson giving Charlotte another hug. "We're pleased that we've found you and that you've found it possible to tell us. Kirsty and I suspected for a while you might be Simon but the period threw us. That's why we aren't too surprised. I also understand why you didn't tell us and we will never tell a soul. From now on you are Charlotte and you'll be treated as such."

"Thank you," whispered Charlotte, tears streaming down her face. "Thank you, Mum and Dad."

It took a few moments for it to sink in. When it did, they both broke into big smiles. "Are you sure?" asked Mr Wilson.

"Very sure, Dad," replied Charlotte.

The passengers started to board the plane and their conversation turned to what they planned to do on the holiday. Once the plane set off Charlotte settled down and began to get excited, just as she had been at Easter. Yes, she missed her parents but she knew she had to move forward. Her life wasn't buried under the rubble of a destroyed terminal building but something that she should enjoy everyday. She had been given a second chance to live life and she was going to take it.

"I bet I see Mickey Mouse before you," taunted Charlotte to Kirsty.

"Not a chance. Not only will I see Mickey before you but I'll also see Goofy first," playfully responded Kirsty. They looked deep into each other's eyes and their hearts started to glow.

Mr and Mrs Wilson looked at each other and smiled. Yes, it was good to be a family again. Mr Wilson leaned across and whispered to his wife, "When we get home, why don't we see if we can adopt Charlotte? That will then complete the promise we made to Helen and Chris."

"That's an excellent idea. I'll start making enquiries the first day we are back."

There wasn't any time to see any sights that day. By the time they had landed and got through immigration it was getting late in the afternoon and they were all tired. "Kirsty?" started Charlotte, as she finished cleaning her teeth ready for bed. "Will you still murmur certain phrases to me when you think I'm asleep?"

"No," Kirsty replied with a smile. "I will tell them to your face. Charlotte Turner, I love you so much."

"And I love you too."

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now Charlotte's journey is complete

She has finally told her new family the truth, and they accepted her as their daughter. Kirsty was saying she loves Charlotte when she became a sister, now she tells her to her face.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

very moving story

Excellent story with a happy, but uncompleted ending. Please continue the story to let us all know how Charlotte and her new "sister", "Mum" and "Dad" turn out over the years. You could title it "Charlotte- 5 years later" or some such. J-Lynn

I do hope that you have a

I do hope that you have a large inventory of stories as I enjoy your writing.
Thank you Karen.

alissa

THIS was an EMOTIONAL story

Samantha Heart's picture

But now I know about Kathy bore from HH & the girl lessons. I am SO GLAD that Kristy & Charlotte (formally Simon) are back together now as GF & Sisters.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

A Wonderful Story!

It's almost midnight -- a very late hour for a very old lady -- but I just couldn't stop reading.

A beautiful story and very well told. Thank you for sharing your talent with us mere mortals.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Third time reading this story,

And I like I just as much this time as I did the first time. Thanks, it was a great story.

Cynthia

Hi Karen, This is my first post because I too enthralled with the story to take the time. I kept phoning my friend J. telling her what event was taking place. I wish I had stories to read like this all of the time, but if I did I wouldn't get anything done. I am sad for this story ending, but am going to try to keep alert to what you write in the future. Thanks again. Hugs, Cynthia

A Different Plane of Existence - Part 14

What a good well-written story. I have totally enjoyed it and look forward to other stories by you. I was nearly in tears when I finished the story, and I don’t know what I am going to do now that I have finished the story.
Continue to write as you do it so very well.

A Different Plane of Existance

LibraryGeek's picture

The realism nazi in me says it would have taken longer to recover from the transplant, that they wouldn't have discharged Charlotte that soon. All that aside, I enjoyed this story rather a lot, and have now read most of your stories, being partway through A New Style of Education, having read Concrete Cows two days ago or so. Your interconnected world is a fascinating one. Good characterization.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

I Don't Remember When I First Read This

littlerocksilver's picture

.. but it was an enjoyable read again after all these years. I would love to find a sequel.

Portia

perfect

I read the story from start to finish in one sitting. I only do that with very well writen, and very interesting stories. Thank you for a very nice time DXLAMB

Sweet story, thank

Sweet story, thank you.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

A different plane of existence

What a lovely story. I do love a good romance and particularly stories where good triumphs over evil and the heroine lives happily ever after. This is just another fine example of your work. You are up there among my favourite half-a-dozen authors.

Thank you

Susie

Thank you Karen for a beautiful story

What a wonderful story, I cried most of the way through. I just recently lost my mother so there were parts of the story that were very hard for me to read. Thank you

Another Karen

You know I am always the one

that says I shouldn't continue a story because it would ruin the ending. BUT, this story is a long way from being finished. Now that Charlotte has told the truth to her "second" parents, and her girlfriend, the story is just beginning. We need to see how Charlotte gets on with Kirsty in their relationship; we need to see what social services says to the adoption; we need to see if in the future Charlotte actually does get a boyfriend, or stays in a lesbian relationship with Kirsty. This is far from being over. Please continue until there is a complete ending. Part 14 has a wide open ending.

Other than that I did enjoy this story immensely. I usually don't cry over reading most stories on this site, but this one is a 5 box, edge of the seat, emotioanl story. It is sad, devastating, angry, happy, joyful, and most of all has attitude. Just remember one thing about women; we don't get mad, we don't get even, we get determined attitude THEN we get even. LOL.

So please continue this story. Enquiring minds want to know.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Great Story

Teek's picture

It was a great story. I feel leaving the hospital was too quick, and the mental health came along real quick, but the flow of the story was good and keep me going. I read it all in one sitting (1:30am as I write this - way past my bed time). You are a good writer and I look forward to reading more of your stories.

As someone who has gone through a traumatic event and forced to go in the same location later, I can attest that it is very hard and the closer you get to the location the more traumatic is becomes. I am actually kind of surprised that she got as close as she did before breaking down. As soon as I heard they were at the airport, I knew the truth would have to come out. You did a good job holding it off as long as you did.

As for the ending, I have ended more than one story over the years at a reveal point with readers wanting to know what happens now to the characters. It is a good ending point and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Keep writing and keep smiling
Teekabell

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Tragedy turns

Jamie Lee's picture

What a story, a double trauma which leads to a new life.

Wanting SRS is one thing, but it needing to be done to ensure as normal a life as possible is startling.

Charlotte proved her spirit is strong by her continued efforts to succeed. She could have totally shut down in the hospital or tried to kill herself. But she didn't, she kept fighting, she kept learning.

And the conversation Mr. and Mrs. Wilson had at the end showed just how close they were to the Turners. It also showed the love they felt for Simon now Charlotte.

While tragic in places, this is a very heartfelt story. One worth the time to read.

Others have feelings too.

Such a wonderful old story,

so very sweet, I cried many times, sometimes in horror, most times with joy. Well worth the read if you haven't already!

Damb. You got me.

Alice-s's picture

Yep, blubbed like a goodn

Thank you Karen!!! I am a

Pamreed's picture

Thank you Karen!!! I am a bit teary eyed but well satisfied!!
You ended it just right, now I can fantasize how I think Charlotte did with the rest of her life!! I am sure she became a mother at some point and fondly thought of her mom after her child was born!!

Hugs,
Pamela

Magnificent

I just finished reading this magnificent story with tears in my eyes. Karen, thank you for sharing it with us.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

A+ work in my book

The English Teacher's picture

Keep up the good work
Carrie
The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

....

Still a good story.

Thanks

Hi,

I still look back with good memories at writing it. I'm glad you still like it too

Karen

DPoE 14

Hi Karen
I'm glad to see that Charlotte came out with the truth. Hopefully she will sllep better at night now. I cant wait to see what happens next. Keep up the excellent work.

John (dooey52)

re: DPoE 14

Hi John,

You have been kind enough to comment through most chapters. This story has come to an end, but the characters will live on. You have already seen Kelly and Rachel in A New Style of Education. There may well be other crossovers in other stories as well.

Hugs

Karen

A well told and beautiful sto

erin's picture

A well told and beautiful story that ended at just the right moment. Thanks.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

re: A well told and beautiful sto

Hi Erin,

Well thank you for giving a site where I can place the story. The story was originally going to be just the first chapter but I was persuaded otherwise. I knew the ending when I started writing part 2; it just took awhile to get there.

Thank you for staying with it.

Hugs

Karen

Wow

Great ending to a great story. I just can't express the feelings that your story has given me. It is so wonderful seeing Simon/Charlotte being accepted for who she truly is. Good job girl.

Love,

Paula

When the lines between reality and fantasy blur, true magic can begin.

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

re: Wow

Hi,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hugs

Karen

Great story

I just love happy endings! Thanks for seeing the story through and finishing it.

----------
Jenna

re: Great story

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. It makes the writing so worth while.

Hugs

Karen

Aweeeee ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... I LOVE a happy ending. It would be nice to read a "ten years later" follow up to see how Charlotte and Kristy deal with Charlotte's need to be a parent.

- which "All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

re: Aweeee

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words.

My stories interlink, so you might see more of Charlotte and Kirsty (not Kristy - giggle), in future stories. I will say no more!!!

Hugs

Karen

A very well told story

Karen;

You have produced a wonderful caring story.

It reads so nicely and the tempo was wonderful.

The crowning part of the story is the close, you really nailed it on ADPOE.

A side note, I'm a bit loopy today as I was off my blood pressure meds for too long which ended up with a visit to critical care yesterday.

Seems the hospital switched to a new tracking system and I fell off thier computer. Every thing is brill again. I have an appointment and I have my meds.

Moral of the story: Call them if they won't call you.

*HUGS*
Robi

*HUGS*
Robi

re: A very well told story

Hi,

Thanks for the very kind comment. I'm glad that you enjoyed the story and the ending.

Hope your BP gets better soon

Hugs

Karen

DPOE

Karen,

This was an excellent story, very well told. Thank-you!! I have enjoyed all of your stories and look forward to reading more of them.

Thanks again for sharing with us all,

Richard

re: DPOE

Hi,

Thank you for your kind comment. It is comments like this that make it worth writing. I've got more stories in the pipeline, in additional to the other two that are being serialised.

Hugs

Karen

The End?

A wonderful tale, and I will admit to a Kleenex moment as the end unfolded. The end seemed a bit rushed, I think another chapter could have been squeezed out, but with little additional content so I am still very happy.

Thank-you dear Karen for sharing this with us.

Will we have a sequel, even if its only 1 chapter a little in the future?

re: The End?

Hi,

I'm afraid that it is the end of this story. If I revealed what happens in the future there would be no room for your own imagination or the characters to appear in another story.

Hugs

Karen

MAGIC

Karen, A wonderful story with great highs and desperate lows. I enjoyed every word even when I was quite teary. You are an exceptional storyteller , I look forward to more of your offerings.

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

DPOE

A sign of a good story is when the readers clamor to know what happens to the characters later.

Karen, you have done a SPLENDID job on DPOE. I have enjoyed it thoroughly and look forward with anticipation to your next effort, whether it is a sequel to DPOE or another new story.

Very, very well done!

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Outstanding, Karen_Page!

From one Karen to another, Thank You for a wonderful story! I'm sorry to hear there won't be more, but happy I got to read this. I managed to find this by accident, and wonder how many more great stories there are out there waiting for me to discover. This is told with lots of empathy, you make me really care about Charlotte. I'm glad she found happiness and a new loving family.

It just occurred to me that I read a story of yours over on Stardust just the other day, which was also very well written. I'll be checking to see what you turn out next, as well as looking over your previous works.

Thanks Again!
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

tear jerker

Thank you so much for this wonderful tear jerker! I'm a sucker for happy endings, but somewhat sad that this is the end. Just the same a great story. I did notice what seemed to be spelling errors, but will put that down to my being American verus a story that is obviously English. Great Job!

Karen

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Thank you for a LOVELY story. I didn't cry quite as much as I did at the end of concrete cows. (close though) These though were tears of happiness and didn't cause any gutwrenching pain.

What can I say - I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

I must appologize for not posting comments between chapters, but I was far to interested in reading the next chapter to stop to type a comment.

with love,

HER

P.S. A point of curiosity. Why didn't you use the comforting thought for Charlotte, that she inherited 3 things from her mother; 1. the wonderful memories of shared experiences. 2. Half of her cromosomes. 3. The physical reproductive system.

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

AT LAST

I found you and finished the story .....this is so differnt and so real ..the way you write is aussomelyfineandgood (new word to discribe something special ) thank you for sharing with us and bless the fingers that pushed all those keys .....XO Rone

Rone try this one!

Rone,

there is already a word for that: supercalliflagillistikexpialydocious ! (even though the sound of it is really quite atrocious!) :)

Briar

Briar