Puberty

Printer-friendly version

There is a natural rhythm to our lives. Some of these rhythms are influenced by external factors while others are influenced by small chemical changes in our bodies.
When and where these changes occur is anybody's guess. The most prominent changes take place in that time zone known as...

Puberty
by
BrandieS

"Mom, geez, I'm busy in here!"

"Oops, sorry." Janet replied, as she let the bathroom door close. Taking a step down the hall, she hesitated then reopened the bathroom door. "Terry, make sure you wash your hands when you are done and then go to your room and change out of those dirty clothes."

"Mom..."

Janet just ignored the cries from her 12 year old and continued talking, "Then gather them up and bring them to the Laundry Room along with the Bathroom Hamper. Got it?" Without waiting for a reply, she made her way down the hall.

"Geez, can't a person get any privacy around here?!" intoned her son to the closed door. Finishing with the toilet, Terry flushed and proceeded to wash his hands. Muttering all the while, Terry did as he was instructed, bringing the hamper to his mother in the Laundry Room.

Janet smiled at him when he entered, saying "There that didn't hurt at all, did it?" Not waiting for a reply, Janet emptied the hamper and began sorting the clothes. After a few moments, Janet realized that her son had not left the Laundry room, but was fidgeting by the door. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, Janet seized this opportunity by saying, "Since you can't find anything to do, pick up that pile of clothes and put them in the washer." She pointed a finger at the pile in front of Terry.

Again, Terry gave out with the old tried and true comment, "Mom."

"Mom, nothing, you had your chance to leave, now just do as you're told," replied Janet.

He grabbed the pile and was stuffing them into the washer when he realized that this was everyone’s underwear. As if startled by this, he let the pile of clothes fall to the floor. He glanced over at his mom to see if she noticed and seeing no reaction from her, he picked up a couple of pieces and put them in the machine. As his hand came into contact with a pair of his sister's panties, he felt a strange sensation in his belly. To make things worse, he let out a big burp. Covering his mouth after the fact he looked sheepishly at his mother as he said, "Sorry, Mom, scuze me."

"That's all right, Honey, just wash your hands when you are done, then you can go play."

"Sure, Mom," Terry said, "Back for Dinner."

Janet continued to do the Laundry and the other household cleaning chores without any apparent concern over the status of her child. Terry was just a normal 12 year old boy as far as she could tell. He played ball with his friends, disobeyed his parents and picked on his sister. Such was the stuff that boys were made of. Sugar and spice and everything nice was what girls were made of, that's what the old Nursery Rhyme said.

Around the dinner table that evening, Janet and Ted engaged the kids in conversation. Checking on what they had been up to during the day as well as plans for the next day. Summer vacation was in full swing and both parents wanted to keep up with the comings and goings of their kids. The talk was lite and happy, no sign of any problem. Anyone watching them would see a very positive family role model. After the meal was finished, Terry stayed in the kitchen with his mom. Unused to this voluntary help from her son, Janet asked, "Something on your mind, Terry?"

There was something on his mind and he didn't know how to talk about it. Terry fidgeted a bit, then said, "Mom, I..uhh. I."

"Come on Terry, you can tell your dear old Mom."

"It's just that," Terry began, then stopped as his mother looked at him. "I, uh..." Not being able to say anything more, Terry ran from the room crying. He wanted to tell his mom about being mistaken for a girl, but was scared.

Concern flooded Janet's face as she too ran towards Terry's room. On the way she called out, "Ted! Quick."

Seeing where she was heading, Ted met her outside Terry's door. Pausing to catch her breath, both Janet and Ted heard their son crying quietly inside. They looked into each other's eye and then opened the door. Janet saw Terry sitting on the edge of his bed and sat down beside him. She put her arm around him and pulled him to her for comfort. Ted grabbed Terry's desk chair and sat facing the duo.

Janet let her son cry for a few minutes more then directing Ted to get a tissue, she wiped away the tears flooding from her sons eyes. Taking another tissue she held it to his nose and said, "Blow." Only after Terry had wiped his nose several times did he seem to relax. Janet took this time to ask, "Now, Terry, what's going on?"

Terry was at a loss. He didn't know what was wrong. That he had just started crying was strange to him. After all, he was a BOY. He played Baseball and Football, ok not tackle, but still football, did tricks on his bicycle to impress the girls and hung out with his friends. Let's not forget picking on his sister as much as he could. He was at a loss to say what was wrong. Clueless.

Both parents looked at each other and said nothing. Janet sat holding her son close as Ted looked on. After several minutes, Ted said, "Terry, you ok now?"

Terry shook his head 'Yes'.

"Ok then, if you want to talk about what's wrong, just let us know. OK?"

Again Terry shook his head 'Yes'.

Hugging her son close to her, Janet kissed his forehead. "We'll be here if you need us.", she said quietly.

"Ok, Mommy."

Exchanging a glance, his parents left his room and proceeded to their room. Once inside, Janet and Ted looked at each other and smiled weakly. Both started to speak at once and anxious to hear what Ted had to say Janet let him start again. "Well, what do you think? Would it be a good idea to tell him?", Ted asked hopefully.

Janet took her time before answering. "Maybe we should just watch him for a little while. It may be too soon for anything more complicated. I mean this could just be nothing."

Her eyes gave her away and Ted crossed to her and held her close. Looking into her face he replied, "Ok, we'll see what else happens, then decide." With nothing else to say, he gave her a quick kiss and they went about the rest of the evening each left to their own thoughts.

Terry did not know why he had started to cry and it shook him. He began to question himself and who he was. Not no sissy boy, that's for sure. Still, in the back of his mind something was happening. Maybe he should talk to Debbie. She usually came in before bed and they talked, tonight he'd ask some questions.

As he waited for his sister, Terry went through a range of emotions. Foremost was fright. He was afraid of what was happening to him. The boy the other day was the last in a long line of 'Daymares' and he was confused. Helping with the laundry had affected him, too. It's not like he hadn't seen Debbie's panties before. Heck, they often took baths together. It was just something else for him to consider. He sat and waited.

A noise on the stairs brought him out of his reverie and he smiled as Debbie entered his room. Her hand was held out reaching for him and he eagerly grasped it. Debbie felt the urgency of his touch and waited for him to 'speak'. No words passed between the two, instead a complex set of hand signals was used to pass information from one to another. These two had been using a silent form of comunication for years and had refined it to the point that seldom did they have to use their voices to understand each other, unless there were others around. Their method of 'talking' was their secret.

*****Interlude: Bath Time*****

Mom had a hard time holding a squirming Terry upright in the half filled tub. His arms were splashing water all over and Janet was getting drenched. She had not prepared to get wet while bathing Terry and was upset at this turn of events. Terry could sense her emotional upset and was crying. The noise from his cries brought his sister into the bathroom.

"Whatcha doin?"

"Trying to give your brother a bath. Wanna help?"

Debbie looked at her mom and said "Ok." She pulled off her pants and shirt and pushed down her panties. She stepped over the edge of the tub and looked up at her mommy. "Ok, mommy, I'm ready to help." She was smiling brightly.

Janet saw the look of wonder on her daughters face. "Here, Honey, just hold Terry against your chest for now." With that said Janet placed Terry between Debbies legs and placed her hands on his waist. Amazingly, Terry settled back against his sister and all of his splashing stopped. Janet soaped the cloth and washed Terry's front and then with Debbie's assistance, moved him to wash his back. This bath had gone better with Debbie in the tub and Janet made a mental note to herself to involve Debbie in Terry's baths. That bath started a pattern that even puberty would not interrupt and was also the begining of the strange world of instant messaging between the duo.

*****Present*****

Terry told her about the boy calling him a 'young lady' and the comments that followed. He also told her about the episode with the laundry and how it upset him. Debbie was curious about everything and they sat silently for several minutes passing information back and forth. At the end, Debbie signaled 'I don't know' and smiled. Terry felt better and giving each other a good night kiss, they went to their own beds.

The next morning, Terry seemed to have forgotten about what happened. To all appearance, he was a normal 12 year old boy. He quickly wolfed down his breakfast and ran out the door. "Back at Lunch, Mom!", he yelled as he rode off on his bike.

This being Saturday, Ted came into the kitchen for another cup of coffee. Seeing Terry ride out of the yard, he asked, “Everything ok?”

Janet smiled and answered, “I guess so.”

Ted walked over to the window and stood beside his wife for a few seconds then took her hand in his. Janet glanced sideways at Ted then kissed his cheek. Neither said anything else as they became lost in their thoughts. Both parents were still looking out the window when their almost 13 year old daughter, Debra, walked in the room. “Hey, guys, what’s up?”, she asked cheerfully.

“Oh, nothing.” Janet replied, letting go of Ted’s hand. “What are your plans for the day, Honey?" This said to Debbie.

“Oh, you know, maybe the Mall or a movie with friends, the usual.” the happy teenager said.

“Make sure you’re back by 5PM.”, Janet insisted.

“K, bye Mom.” Debbie kissed her mother on the cheek and left the room.

Ted looked after Debbie as she went out the front door, then turned and went into the Study. While the house did not actually have a real Study, the style of the house allowed one of the downstairs rooms to be used for that purpose. Sitting at his desk, Ted was looking at a digital photo album on his computer. He was full of mixed emotions as he scrolled through the file named for his daughter, thinking about what the future had in store for his son.

*****Interlude:Reflections*****

Ted and Janet had been truly amazed when their son was born. From the time had showed the developing baby to be a boy, both parents had eagerly awaited the arrival of their child. Boys born into Janet’s family were quite rare and the blessed event was regarded as a miracle. Now it seemed that the idea of a miracle may be short lived.

Ted could still hear the Doctor excitedly showing him the tape of the Ultrasound that Janet had undergone when pregnant with Debbie. The Doctor was quick to point out emerging physical characteristics on the unborn child, including a budding penis. The second ultrasound could find no sign of the penis and both parents came away from the Doctor’s appointment with a sense of grief. The grief was short lived when Janet delivered a healthy baby girl, Debra.

Debra, or Debbie as she liked to called now, was not one to let well enough alone. From an early age, she became the center of everything around her. She filled rooms with her laughter and good looks. She was a happy child and when Janet became pregnant for the second time, Debbie wanted to help her Mommy in any way she could.

When Janet brought Terry home from the hospital, the house was like a carnival. All of the relatives that could gathered to see the baby boy. And they all wanted to see proof of the baby’s sex. It was a joyous time for all involved. Ted and Janet had all of the help they needed to help care for their new son. Debbie was not overlooked during this time and was treated with much respect by her Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. After much celebrating and catching up on family events, Ted and Janet were left alone with their new family and soon settled into a regular routine. That’s how things had gone during the past 12 years, now it seemed that everything might be changing.

*****Continuing: In the Present*****

Ted gazed out the window, lost in thought when Janet came in the room.

“Ted, Dear, you ok?”

“Huh?”, came the reply, as he turned to look at Janet.

“I said…”

“Yea, sure. Just thinking.” Ted stopped talking and smiled weakly. “Um, why don’t we go up stairs and look in Terry’s room? Might find something.”

Janet could see that he was upset and sensing that this might help, agreed.

Entering Terry’s room, the parents saw nothing unusual. Unmade bed, clothes on the floor, the usual for an 12 year old boy. Still, they looked in the closet and dresser. Finding nothing they looked in the bathroom. Still nothing. Both parents took this as a good sign and went back downstairs.

“I guess we’ll just wait, like you said.” Ted said and wandered off.

Terry, however, had met up with his friends. They had been inseperable for several years and the joke was that they were triplets born of different mothers. The mothers did get along well and that made the friendship better. The three boys had big plans for the Summer and it was spread out before them.

They rode to the park and did bike tricks and just hung out. The audience at the park was fickle and soon wandered away, leaving the three boys alone. With no public to cheer them on, they too decided to do something else. But what.

Paul looked at his watch and shook his head saying "How bout we get a coke?" The others agreed and off they went to the local joint. Now this joint was normally filled with upper classmen during the school year, but as school was out for the Summer, there should be plenty of room and a lot less hassle today. Parking the bikes in front, the three boys went in and found an open booth.

Terry grabbed the menu from the end of the table and started reading. Paul looked at him and said "Whoa, like, dude, it's just for a coke. No needa da menu." he laughed.

Terry looked up and replied "I was gonna get somethin to eat, I'm starved." He continued reading the menu as Paul talked.

The girl waiting the tables came over and Paul and Tim ordered a Cherry Coke with extra Cherries. The girl just shrugged her shoulders at their attempt at inuendo. Terry, still looking at the menu, said "Tuna on Whole Wheat, Cole Slaw and a Unsweetened Tea." He put the menu back in the holder. Giving Terry a parting smile she turned in the order.

"Uh, like dude, did I just hear you order Tuna fish? And with Tea. Like are you sick or something, I mean that sounded like my sister ordering. Dude, get a grip." Paul commented.

"Hey, I like Tuna and I'm hungry". Terry replied, glad to be interupted by the arrival of the drinks. Both Paul and Tim were eagerly counting the stems from the Cherries in their drinks as Terry put artificial sweetener in his tea. Taking a drink through the straw, the boys talk blended into the normal background noises of the hangout.

A few minutes later the girl returned with the Tuna on Whole Wheat. "Here you go, Hun" she said putting the plate down in front of Terry and smiling again. Terry picked up a sandwich half and took a bite. As he chewed he listened to the chatter around him. "Kinda cute." "Too young" "Must be on a diet." "Did you see Earl's new ride?" "My girlfriend would kill me." "Give her a few more years." "My ole man wants me to get a job." These comments just went in one ear and out the other.

Terry was finishing the Slaw when the girl returned asking "Seperate checks?" The boys bobbing heads indicated 'Yes'. "Be right back." True to her word, she returned to the table and place a slip of paper in front of Paul and Tim, then turned to leave.

Terry looked up as she was turning and asked "Uh, Miss, where's my check?" The girl pointed over her shoulder and said "It's been taken care of." She smiled at Terry and went back behind the counter. "Who, dude, you like got a free lunch, way cool." Both Paul and Tim chimed in. "Uh, catch you guys outside."Terry slid out of the booth and walked to the door. As he stepped across the threshold and into the warmth of the sun the waitress called out "Bye, Hun, have a nice day". The other boys made it out and grabbed their bikes. They debated what to do and set off for adventure. The day was still young.

Inside the local hangout, two older boys were talking. "Did you get a look at her?" This was followed by the second boy replying "I know, kinda young, but there was something about her that got to me and did you see how she looked. Wow!" The first boy chuckled and said "Yea, and got to your wallet too. And the answer to the last part is Wow, too."

Meanwhile Terry, leading his friends down a nearby hill, was about to come face to face with a new reality.

Trucks do what trucks do. Different sizes mean different jobs, but mainly trucks carry large loads. That was no different today. The brown delivery truck pulled up near the corner and the driver checked his manifest ensuring that he had the right address for the next delivery. Without looking up, he let his foot off the brake and the truck gained speed and moved into the intersection. Too late the driver looked up and saw the thin kid on the bicycle heading right for him. Rather that slamming on the brakes, the driver grabbed the wheel and turned violently to the left away from the impact praying that he could put a safe distance between the vehicles. The accident investigators would say that it was a good call and that he had minimized the damage to the boy, but still. In his heart he knew that he had hurt the child. He would see this accident replayed by his mind for years to come.

Police and ambulance crews converged on the scene. Traffic was rerouted and EMS personnel knelt at the side of the injured child. A cervical collar was put on the kid's neck and a splint was placed on the upper right arm, with another following to the leg. The body was rolled to the side and after ensuring that the back ot the victim was clear, the victim was placed on a back board. The backboard was lifted and placed on a rolling stretcher (gurney) and adjusted to allow the EMTs access to better manage the injuries. A radio was in evidence and there was two-way communication with an Emergency Room doctor. IVs were started and vital signs taken, the gurney was loaded into the back of the waiting vehicle and with lights on and siren sounding, the vehicle entered traffic for the trip to the Emergency Room and continued care.

"Man, this is one hurt little girl." commented a seasoned EMT. The second EMT riding in the passenger compartment looked up at his companions words, but didn't say a thing. He had thought he had seen a penis as the child was rolled over for inspection, but as the child had been rolled to its back, the tear in the clothes covered any trace of the sex of the child. Still, he had to admit that the child did look like a girl and that smell from the child was similar to his young daughter. Maybe he'd ask the doc at the ED. He took another Blood Pressure reading and called out the numbers per SOP.

Not soon enough for the EMTs the ambulance pulled into the ED entry. The back door was thrown open and the gurney was pulled out. One EMT at the head and one at the foot guided the gurney into the maw of the waiting hospital ED. The patient was transferred to a bed and the senior EMT handed the Attending a page from his clip board and offered a verbal report, complete with treatment at the scene. Checking to see that the victim was stable, the doctor ordered routine labs, catheterization and a series of x-rays. Soon nurses and other personnel were busy performing steps that would provide a clinical picture of the victim's injuries and offer a diagnosis and a possible prognosis.

The phone was ringing and Janet caught it as the answering machine clicked in. She listened and as the words continued, she dropped the hand piece and fell to the floor. Ted heard the noise from his study and went to investigate. He found Janet on the floor and the phone laying nearby. A voice was coming from the phone and he distractedly put the insturment next to his ear. "Mrs. Miller, did you hear me?" came the voice.

Ted replied "Uh, can you repeat it again?" He had no idea what had been said and anxiously waited as the person spoke. Ted flinched and his hand tightened on the phone as the person verified Ted's ID and stated that his daughter was in the Hopsital ED. He was given the name of the Attending Physician and asked to hurry to the ED with all due care. Ted silently hung up the phone, then looked at Janet laying on the floor. He shook her shoulder to wake her and as she roused, he helped her to her feet. She was unsteady and he held her firmly for several seconds. Finally he asked if she was ok and watching her shake her head 'Yes' he recapped the phone call. A quick note was left telling Terry to stay home should he arrive before they returned, then both parents went to the hospital. And to a new reality.

Janet followed Ted into the hospital and up to the bored attendant at the desk. Identifying themselves, Ted asked where his daughter was. After a few minutes wait, the attendant gave them the location of the child and issued a ED pass, allowing them access to the inner sanctum of the ED. One step closer to their child.

If fortune has a sense of humor, it was now that this sense of humor came into play. Janet's cell phone rang and as she pulled it from her purse, she noted that the caller was Debbie. Stoppng her walk down the hallway, she said "Where are you?" Not waiting for a reply, she shouted to Ted and then said into the speaker "Go home now. Don't argue, don't wait, HOME now. We'll talk later." Looking up she said "That was Deb. Now let's find out what this is about." Ted shook his head and they continued on their path shortly arriving at the numbered room. Pulling the curtain aside, there was no one in the room. Janet and Ted just looked at each other and shrugged. Each was thinking the same thing 'What's going on here?'

As they stood looking at the room curtain, a man came out from the next cubicle. Seeing them, he asked "Are you the parents?" and not waiting for an answer, he immediately called for a nurse. Issuing orders, he turned again to the pair. Seeing the look of confusion on their face, he again asked "Are you Terry's parents." Both heads bobbed up and down at this question. The doctor seing the repy continued "He's had bad accident. Almost hit a delivery truck head-on, only thing that saved him was the quick thinking of the driver, seems he turned the wheel hard to the left to avoid the head-on, lucky too." Janet paled at the words and leaned into Ted. "Right this way, he's in here." the doctor led them into the room. Terry appeared smaller than he was as he lay on the bed. There were tubes and machinery all around him. Something covered his right arm and his right leg was supported by ropes hanging from an overbed frame. A tube was pumping air into his lungs and a bag was collecting a yellowish fluid at the bedside. Janet moved to the bedside and placed a hand on his forehead. "Terry, dear, Terry, Mommy's here." She was sobbing. Ted looked at the sight of his son and blanched. He too was sobbing. Janet turned to the doctor and asked "How long will he be in here?"

The doctor raised an eyebrow at the question, but said nothing for a few moments. Then said "Well, Terry has a concussion, a broken right Radius and right Femur and several bruised ribs on the right side. His chemistries are good, UA is clear and O2 sats are fine. We need to relook the arm in a few days and decide what else to do, the ribs are gonna be sore and the scrapes will all heal ok."

Janet and Ted acknowledged the doctor and listened as he continued. "We'll be moving him to the peds ward as soon as we get a bed. I'd like to have him in a semi-private room. I think it would be better for him to not be alone. He's gonna be scared and another person close by could be helpful. I'll let you know when we're gonna move him. Any questions?"

"How long do you think he'll be here?" asked Ted.

"Probably about 4 to 6 weeks, if we're lucky and while we're on that I'd like your permission to put him into a room with girls."

Again Ted looked at the doctor and studied the man before replying, "Why girls?"

The doctor didn't hesitate "First they will accept him easier, second he seems to have the staff reacting like he is a girl. Third, the boys might upset the balance of his traction and he needs stability. And I know the nurses on the Girls Pediatric Ward and they want him there."

Terry's parents put their heads together in qiuet conversation. Then looking up at the doctor, Janet said "Ok, when are you gonna move him." The doctor replied "Immediately." As soon as this was said, two medical people started to unhook some of the items attached to Terry and asking the parents to follow, began to push the bed through the door and down a long hallway.

The bed was noisy and the wheels clicked on the tile floor. The tiny figure on the bed staired listlessly at the passing ceiling tiles. The bed halted in front of a stainless steel door and a button was pressed. The attendants and the family rode the elevator up in silence. Out of the elevator crying and other sounds could be heard. These sounds were drowned out by the clicking of the wheels as the bed rolled down the hall. Stopping at a Nurse's station, the attendants placed a folder on the counter and inquired which room was assigned. The Nurse looked at the papers and leading the way took Terry into his new semi-permanent home.

There were two occupied beds in the room and each held a young girl. They sat up as Terry was wheeled into the room and watched as several items were connected to wall outlets. Ensuring that the traction was correct and that the Oxygen was flowing properly, the nurse checked the IV and verified the flow rate she, then, held Terry's wrist and counted his pulse rate. She reached into her smock pocket and extracted a stethoscope and listened to Terry's chest and belly. Jotting down her findings, she glanced at the parents nervously standing by. After a few more minutes, she asked if one parent could accompany her to the Nurse's station. There she took down information about food preferences, allergies and likes and dislikes, also verifying his gender and age. She used the information to prepare several stickers that she placed on the outside of the door.

The little girls are curious. Being in a hospital in pretty boring for a child and a new roommate is exciting. The room had space for four beds, but only three were actually allowed in the room. The remaining space was used as a sitting area for visitors and parents. This was a long term care room and often family members would spend the occasional night near their loved one. One of the little girls asked "What's your daughter's name?"

Janet roused from her thoughts asked what the girl had said. The little girl repeated her question and without thinking, Janet said "Terry." The little girl hardly paused as she asked "How old is she?" To which Janet answered "Twelve." The questions asked were answered on autopilot. Janet didn't even process the pronoun used in the questions. She was looking intently at her son and everything else was just ignored.

The little girls were excited that a big girl was sharing their room. The oldest of the two was only 9 and a half and let's not forget that to little girls and boys, the halfs add up. So it was with smiling faces that the girls eagerly awaited talking to their new roommate. An older girl would bring an air of sophistication to their room. After all to a 9 year old, twelve is almost a teenager.

Ted returned to the room. He crossed over to Janet and watched his son lying in the bed. Such a small frail boy, or so it seemed. Usually Terry was full of life, bright smile, eager to please and tease. Debbie would have to help with more around the house now and also spend time at Terry's bedside. That wouldn't be a problem as they got along well. Well except for the teasing. Still, Debbie doted on her brother. Ted watched Janet, then retreiving a chair, he placed it beside her. She sat without conscious thought. Ted placed a hand on her shoulder and said "Janet, I'm going to go home and talk to Debbie. We'll bring you back some take-out, then see what we can do about getting Terry settled in." With that said, he bent and kissed Janet bye.

*****Interlude: Little sister*****

The little girl was watching her mother change her baby brother. She handed her mother items as she was asked. When finished, the little girl watched the baby as her mother disposed of the soiled diaper. An elderly woman spying the little girl smiled and said "That your sister, she's pretty." Debbie smiled and shook her head 'Yes'. She was used to having everyone thinking Terry was a girl. Sometimes she thought Terry was a girl too. Terry even smelled like girl. Debbie liked the smell.

She was always happy to be near Terry and they formed a close bond that grew as did they. Terry was a nice kid and even Debbie's friends liked him. Too often they would comment about how they would forget that he was a boy. And they loved his smell. Often times they would be setting on the couch with Terry nestled between them. This caused Terry some embarasment as he got bigger.

When Debbie began puberty, her parents watched her as inconspicuously as possible. Her growth and development did not appear to be abnormal and she began her female growth without any problems. She received the same mother's care as she got her period and her boobs began to grow, Janet talked to her about 'Sex" and what it meant to be a girl and a Lady in society. She was taken to a Pediatric Gynecologist for her first female physical and was assured that every thing was fine. Her development was charted and Janet was told to make any follow-up appointments as needed. Debbie quickly settled into the life of a pubescent girl and it was this phase of her life that caused her to grow apart from her brother. Terry felt the division and rebelled by increased teasing and tormenting his sister. Still, the tie that bound them was strong and they shared a greater sibling closeness than other chidren their ages.

*****Present*****

Ted drove carefully home. He was lost in thought and arrived before he realized it. The lights were on and so he knew Debbie was home. How to explain what happened was the biggie for the night. That and how Debbie would react. The kids always broke that rule. Terry may pick on her, but when he was threatened Debbie turned into a fierce predator. As she often said, 'No one is allowed to pick on you except me' and she meant every word. The kids in the neighbor-hood had found this out as well as the few that tried anything at school. Now Ted had to face his daughter.

Debbie heard the car pull in and the motor stop. No sound of a door slamming caused her to look outside. Her dad was still in the car with his head looking down. Debbie watched for a few minutes and seeing no movement, quickly turned off the lights, grabbed her purse and went out the door, locking it after her. She knocked on the passenger window and the door was unlocked. Getting in, Debbie said "Let's go." Ted didn't say a word, he just restarted the car and putting it in reverse, backed out on to the street. Stopping to put the car in drive, he accelerated towards the hospital. Debbie watched her father as he drove. he was on autopilot and drove as such. Passing a Chinese take-out place, Debbie said "Turn in here." Ted did as instructed and pulled into the drive thru. The order was placed and money exchanged and food received. Ted continued the drive to the hospital in silence. Debbie had not said a thing after getting the take-out. Now seeing their destination, she looked at her father and said "Daddy, is Terry gonna live?" Then letting out a sob, continued "Oh, God, let my brother live."

Ted looked at his daughter "How did you know about Terry?" he asked. "You were with your friends all day."

Debbie said matter of factly "I always know what he's up to. Besides, Mom left a note." She opened the car door and got out. "Come on, he'll be awake soon." She led a stunned father across the parking lot towards the waiting door.

Inside the automatic door and straight down the hall, turn right and take the second elevator, Debbie was leading her father through a maze. "Come on Daddy. Terry's awake and needs us!" Debbie was making no sense to Ted. The elevator door opened and they got in for the ride up to the fourth floor. Ted looked at Debbie and asked "Debbie, how do you know that Terry's awake and asking for us?" Even as he asked the question, he wondered if he wanted to know the answer.

Coming out of the elevator, Debbie began walking faster leaving her dad to trail behind. She stopped outside Terry's room and took a deep breath. Her pulse was racing and heart fluttering. Sure Terry had got into messes before, but not like this. And she knew something no one else did. But maybe that could wait. She pushed open the door and entered. "Hi squirt." she said in greeting.

There was no answer from Terry, but that didn't stop her from talking. "Geeze, can't you even ride a bicycle?" Still no reaction, but by the sound of the breathing, Terry was awake. Debbie paused too look around and saw the two girls. She smiled at them and turned back to her brother "Terry, you can talk to me now." She stepped to the bed and held his hand.

Debbie held Terry's hand. She could feel his fingers press into her skin. That he was trying to say something silently was not unusual. They had an unspoken form of communication that they often used. Now Terry was telling his sister some inportant stuff. 'lunch, free, thought I girl' then hand code said. 'Mad, angry, Paul, laughed, rode off' Terry's fingers continued the delicate code dance.

Debbie too held firmly to the brother's hand 'Dummy, truck, not watch you' she signaled. Text messaging had nothing on this duo. Her hand continued 'Ok, 4-6 weeks, better, tell Lisa and all, talk to Paul and all, visitors.' Then she smiled and her hand squeezed out 'Thought u girl, who, waitress or cute boy?' she smiled. Debbie had known for some time that there was something special about her brother. He just didn't smell like a boy. Even before bathing, he wasn't musty like a regular boy. And after a bath, he was like a breath of fresh air, and she's not the only one that thought so.

*****Interlude: Smells*****

At first Terry was embarassed about the way he smelled. It came out one day when his bud, Paul was over. Paul raised his face to the sky and made a loud sniffing sound. "Smell that?' he asked.

Terry smiffed and smelled nothing. "Smell what? You fart again, butthole."

Paul shook his head no and continued. "No, dummy, like flowers or something. Can't you smell it. It's comming from your direction." Paul was walking towards Terry sniffing.

Terry backed up saying "Get that big honker outa my face, weirdo."

Paul just kept walking closer saying "No the smell, it's like.." his voice trailed off as he stopped in front of Terry. Paul's eyes got big and he blurted out "It's you, dude, that's what I smell. Kinda like a girl. But different. Did your sis like, make you wear her perfume? No, no, it's not perfume, kinda tangy." Paul teased.

That Terry was embarassed was an understatement "I don't wear perfume, butthole."

The episode was soon behind them as they got their bikes and went in search of adventure. Paul would forgot the episode, but others would wonder what that enticing smell was.

*****Present*****

Terry opened his eyes and looked around. Debbie was still there as was his Mom and Dad. Terry also saw two little faces staring at him from across the room. He had to focus on them, then realized that they were girls. He was in a girls room, or were they in a boys room. Even though he was 12, he knew that there were somethings that boys and girls, well except for him and Debbie, didn't do and share a bedroom was one of those things. Terry looked at his Mom and said in a scratchy voice "Hi, Mom."

Janet jumped up from the chair and leaned over her baby boy "Hi, Honey, you feeling better?" She smiled at her son.

Terry smiled back and said "As good as I can, right now." He looked around the room. Debbie was at the bed standing next to Dad. Ted has his arm draped protectively across her shoulders. He smiled weakly at his son and said "Hi, son, you sure took a bicycle ride, huh?"

Terry smiled back and started to tear up. Ted continued "Hey, champ, it's ok. And the truck driver was a smart driver. He turned hard to the left to try and miss you. Lucky for both of you."

Janet stroked Terry's face and smiled. There was so much she wanted to say, but the words would not come out. She was afraid that if she tried to talk, she'd just breakdown and start crying. Terry was alive and comming out of his ordeal. That was enough for now

Ted continued "Look, Champ, you don't have to worry about anything. You just lay there and get better. Mom, your Sis and I will be here for a while, then we'll have to go home tonight. Mom and Debbie will be back tomorrow and I'll see you after work. You just take it easy. Tomorrow, we'll all talk to the doctor about what's gonna happen with you." Ted just smiled at his son. As any father would, Ted would eagerly trade places with his child, but in his mind he knew it was a stupid thing to think.

Debbie was holding Terry's hand and squeezed 'Dad, scared, crying'. Terry looked up at his father and gave him a small smile. "Thanks Dad." was added vocally.

No one has fun in the hospital. Let's qualify that statement. Hardly any of the patients have fun in the Hospital and Terry was no exception. His ribs were sore and made it hard to breathe. The traction on his leg was uncomfortable and the cast was heavy. Used to a life free of encumberances, Terry had to adjust to his new reality. A reality of having a tube in his..well, you know and having a needle in his arm. There were things that might have been considered neat provided they were afixed to someone else. The afternoon wore on and visiting time was over.

"Terry, we'll be back in the morning and then see what the doctor has planned." Janet said as she looked at her son. She bent and kissed his forehead.

Debbie was next and she squeezed his hand and kissed him,too "See ya in the morning Squirt."

Ted was last to say goodnight to his son. Terry looked so small laying the bed with all that stuff all around. He bent and kissed Terry's forehead, too. Standing, he directed the two Miller women out of the room.

Now that the parents were gone, the two little girls were really bored. At least they could watch the new girl's parents and sister. They hadn't talked to the sister yet, but that was on their to-do list. They staired at one another, then nodding, both got out of bed and walked towards Terry. They stopped a couple of feet from his bed and one of the girls said "Hi, I'm Molly and this is Clara. Does that hurt?" She pointed at the traction device.

Terry said "No, it just pulls things a little."

Clara jumped up and down looking at the traction device. She looked at Terry and blurted out "Did they put a tube in you to make you pee?" She pointed to the bag hanging on the side of thebed.

Terry turned red and looked away.

"Now ya done it, blabbermouth. You got her baresed." chided Molly.

Clara reached for Terry's hand and said "Sorry, I just want to be your friend." She gave out a little giggle.

Terry felt the hand on his and remained still. He knew girls touched more than boys. The guys were always making fun of him for holding Debbie's hand. But there was more to that than he wanted or could explain. Holding her hand and 'Talking' to her was like. Well he just couldn't explain it. Looking at the little girl, Terry felt a warmth flow over him. He said "Ok, we can be friends." Clara let out a whoop and danced around the bed. Terry saw Molly watching and said "We can be friends, too." She gleefully joined her roommate.

Terry watched as the girls pulled chairs closer to his bed. The three new friends were soon chatting about the hospital and bicycles and that dreaded of dreads...school. The little girls were in a whirl. A bigger girl was their friend. Wow. Life couldn't get any better than this.

Sometime after seven, Clara's mom came to visit. Clara was eager to introduce her new friend. She pulled on her mommy's hand practically dragging the woman to Terry's bedside. A big smile filled Clara's face as she said "Mommy, this is my new friend Terry. She's got a broke leg and arm. It hurts her to breathe. But she's ok." Clara's mom smiled down at the pretty girl. She said 'Hello' and exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes. Before returning to Clara's bedside, she noticed an enticing odor near this darling girl. Whatever it was, was quite refreshing. Clara and her mom visited for another thirty minutes and then she left, promising to return the next day. The room empty of visitors, the three occupants settled into their pillows for a night's sleep.

No one sleeps in a hospital. It's an unwritten rule. Noises are always louder in the night and if you are 12 years old, hurt and away from home, that makes it worse. Terry was no exception. Everytime the door opened and a staff member came in, Terry was awake. The two girls in the room were awake also and watched with big eyes as Terry was poked and prodded. One unfortunate episode of poking and prodding was cleaning his urinary meatus, where the catheter enters his penis on its trip to his bladder. It is this point that offers an entrance point to germs and to stem the flow of germs, a daily regime of catheter care is ordered. Usually the victim...ummmm...patient is screened both for privacy and privacy. At O dark O'Clock the staff member performing this task, failed to properly screen Terry, allowing his penis to be seen by one of the little girls in the room. The girl knew that she had seen something different on Terry and was eager to confront Terry with her knowledge. The staff member did not know about the unfortunate observation by the female patient and performed the task without any second thoughts. Just another night in paradise, right.

Terry's doctor was in early. He reassured the boy that things were going according to plan or whatever. He mentioned more x-rays and a few tests and that he would talk to Terry's parents later in the day. He said Terry was scheduled for a Portable and a few tests. Terry winced at this. After listening to his belly, the doctor left the room.

Molly was watching everything with a keen eye. She was curious about Terry and trying to come up with a plan. She sat and thought, but nothing came to mind. Finally she decided to take the direct approach and sliding off the bed and putting her slippers on, she walked over to Terry's bed. "Hi, Terry. Sleep good?"

"Naw, bothered most of the night." came the reply.

"Yea, gets loud here sometimes and noisy too."

"So, you still got that bag to pee in, huh?" she was working herself up to ask THE question.

"Yea, the doctor says maybe a few more days."

"Does it hurt your, you know?" she asked

Terry turned red at that question but answered "Just feels like someones pulling on me."

Molly was ready for the question, and now was the time. She looked at the Catheter bag and traced the tubing up towards Terry's side. "Ummm, I saw them work on you this morning and know what I saw?" She looked in his face as she said this.

Terry just asked "What did you see?" As far as he was concerned, he had nothing to hide.

Molly was perplexed now. She thought that Terry was hiding something and she was close to finding it. Drat, this was not working out like she planned.

"Oh, nothing." She pulled her hand to her side and went back to her bed.

The rest of the morning was filled with breakfast for the two girls and a new bottle of IV fluid for Terry. Also the Portable showed up and someone stuck a needle in his arm and took out a couple of gallons of blood. But other than that, it was a normal day in the hospital.

*****Interlude: New Kid in the Room*****

Molly had been in this hospital for a long time. She had a form of Leukemia and had contracted HIV after being transfused with tainted blood. At present her White Count was stable and her T cells were stable. Her last bout of Chemo had been debiltating and even though the 'Cocktail' had been tailored for her specific needs, she was on the path to an early grave. Her parents worked to pay the bills and only came to see her once every two weeks. She was starved for companionship and affection. When they put a big girl in her room, she was on cloud nine. She knew that she would not see the old age of 12. And the new girl had an older sister, almost 16 she said. Wow. She hoped she could talk to both of them. But what she saw last night scared her. She was sure she had seen that the new girl was not a girl, but a boy, and this morning when she tried to get him/her? to tell it's secret, it had not happened. She was hoping that the new girl was actually a boy. That would be neat. Maybe they could be girlfriend (Molly) and boyfriend (Terry). That would make her life complete.

*****Present: End Interlude*****

Bored, bored, bored, bored, should I go on? Terry was just bored. He was an active boy and being in traction was the pits. His right arm itched and he couldn't scratch it. His ribs hurt and his leg, well his leg. It hung at an odd angle and he felt like everyone could see up under his sheet. And to top if off, there was a tube in his boy thing, penis, and it felt like someone was pulling on him, forcing him down in the bed. UUUGHGHGHGH! He squirmed in the bed and let out a small plaintive cry.

Molly heard something and looked up. Clara was watching a video and her face was following the antics of her favorite cartoon character. 'Not her' Molly decided. She turned her gaze to Terry and saw a look of displeasure on his face. She got up and went to his/her bedside and looked on. "How ya doin? Bet that weight thingy is heavy." She pointed at the traction device. She wanted to touch it, but it wasn't hers.

Terry said flatly "Yea, it's the pits. Can't get comfortable. Feels like someone pulling on me." Then looking around the room, he asked the girl "Uh, like, how long you been here?"

Molly said "Few months. But now you two err here, it'll be funner." She was looking at his face. Something just wasn't right. He/She kinda looked like a girl and a boy. Cu-Razy! There was something else too. He had a tube thing for pee, but it didn't smell. Fact was there was a nice smell from over here. She hadn't had a nice smell when she was on that side of the room. "We could color." As soon as she said that she cringed. Terry only had one good hand and arm to use and it was no fair. She just started to cry.

Terry watching her was startled when she started to cry. Had he done something wrong. Geesh! Girls. Unsure what to do, Terry said "Hey, nothng to cry about. I'm sorry." Terry tried to apologize for making her cry, but she just cried more and now, the other girl, Clara, was on her way across the room. Sheesh.

Clara swung her head back and forth between Terry and Molly. A spectator at Wimbledon couldn't have kept track of the particulars better. Her gaze tracked her room mates with pin-point percision. Seeing Molly start to cry, Clara glared at Terry and stuck out her tongue. That this was bad, she knew. But Molly was crying and something Terry did caused her bestest friend to cry. Who cared if she was 12, Molly was her friend first. Sides, Molly was special.

"Molly, it's ok. Terry is just mean. Big kids are always mean." Reaching for Molly's arm, she applied a slight pressure and continued "It's ok, we don't need her anyway." Hearing this, Molly cried harder. She wanted to tell Terry and Clara why she was crying, but the tears just flowed. Clara had jumped to the wrong conclusion about Terry, but only time would bear that truth.

Clara pulled her bestest friend to their side of the room and gave her a hug. "What's wrong?" she asked.

"Nuffin."

"Is so, else ya woudn't be cryin." she replied

It's just that..." Molly's voice trailed off.

"Come on, what IS it?"

"Um, I aked Terry if she wanted to color, but then I membered her cast and she has a hard time usin her arm and I got sad."

"Come on, Silly, we'll all color." She grabbed Molly's hand and took her to gather the coloring books and crayons. Loaded down, the two girls went back to Terry's bedside.

Terry looked at the girls. "Umm, whatcha doin, now?" he asked tentatively. Even he knew girls were STRANGE.

Clara beamed and said "We came to color. Molly is gonna set there." Clara pointed at the chair "And I'm gonna sit here." She climbed in the bed beside Terry. Then looking at him asked "This ok?" Clara hoped it was ok. She wanted an older girl to be her friend and this was her big chance. Molly put her stuff on the otherside of Terry and she climbed into the chair. Taking a book, she opened it to a new picture and offered it to Terry. Even with the cast on his arm, Terry had a good time coloring and laughing with his new friends.

*****Interlude: First Time with Girls*****

Terry was going to Nursery School, well actually Pre-school. He complained that he wasn't a baby and that he didn't need to go to school with babies, but his complaints didn't do any good. He was enrolled and he went. He pouted, like all kids, when his parents left him there. The teachers tried to get him involved in the groups, but knew that curosity would bring him in, in time. Terry sat by himself and watched. One lttle girl, seeing Terry sit alone, went to his side of the room and sat next to him. She looked at him and smiled. Terry smiled back. She said, matter of factly "You're pretty." Terry blushed at this. She leaned towards him causing young Terry to lean away, her nose wrinkled as she said "You smell nice."

*****Present*****

The day nurse was making her rounds. She was an old hand at Pediatrics and handling young girls, especially. She heard voices in the room and peeked in as she was passing. Clara could be seen sitting next to the new girl and Molly was leaning on the otherside of the bed. There were smiles all around and she could see that they were coloring and chatting like long lost friends. It was good to see the three girl playing. The nurse also noticed that Clara seemed especially careful about the traction on Terry's leg. She wondered how long they had been like that, but decided that it probably hadn't been too long. Little Clara wasn't known for keeping still. Well, Terry would call out if she became uncomfortable. Still, the nurse thought, she would look in on them later.

Clara sat upright an looked at Terry. "I gotta pee." She moved to the edge of the bed and slid off. "Back in a minute." was heard as the bathroom door closed.

Terry finished coloring and smiled. He hadn't colored for some time and for some reason this was fun again. Sure the pictures were kinda corny for an 12 year old boy. My Little Pony, Power Puff Girls and Hannah Montana, but it was fun with Clara and Molly. A big smile filled his face.

"Whatcha smilin bout?" asked Molly. She wanted to tell Terry what she thought she saw, but was afraid now. When she tried to tell earlier, nothing happened. She'd have to think bout it for a while.

Terry heard the question and replied "Jus stuff. You know." and nothing more. He actually was quite happy and it suprised him. He didn't have to show off or anything. These girls liked him, just because.

Molly studied the look on Terry's face then asked "Terry, you got a boyfriend?" Terry turned his heat towards the girl.

"Huh, what, boyfriend, ummm" He reddened.

Molly continued, her curiosity getting the better of her "Yea, girl like you gotta hab lots ob boyfriends."

Terry turned red at this comment. "Umm, what do ya mean, 'Girl like me'"? he asked.

Molly smiled "You know, pretty and stuff."

Terry looked at Molly and then at the bathroom door. He looked frightened and said "Umm, Molly, I ain't no girl."

Molly had won. It was her dream come true. Well for the moment. She said "Whyaincha in a boys room then?"

Terry looked mystified and shrugged his shoulders saying "I don't know."

Molly pressed on "Well, yer mommy said you was a girl when you got here." Terry looked for the lie in her face, but did not see one. Then Molly added 'You smell like a girl."

Terry blushed, he had been hearing about how good it smelled around him for a long time. He tried to get dirty and smelly, but it didn't work. Why did he smell like that?

Clara pushed open the bathroom door and walked back into the room. Seeing Molly and Terry look at her, she smiled. "We goin color agin?'

Yes was the answer from both the room mates and a happy girl soon climbed back up in bed with Terry and the three continued to color.

With lunch came the changing of IV bottles and other things. The Urine collection bag was drained and again the insertion point for the catheter was cleaned. A new collection of vital signs to add to the ever growing collection of vital signs and let's not forget the always fun Neuro exams, complete with edema checks and palpation of proximal and distal pulses, bilaterally of course. Needed for comparison as are the leg measurements. The fun just continues. To say that it is amazing the amount of information a doctor wants is incredilbe is a mouth full. But un-beknownst to mankind, most of the information collected is requested by nurses. The information is needed to clarify and amplify the information given to the doctors. Special data collection sheets are included in all admission packets as are special information sheets part of discharge instructions. Nurses are nothing if not thorough.

After lunch, visiting hours started. Janet and Debbie came rushing into Terry's room. They were treated to the sight of Terry being surrounded by two 'real' girls. Althought Terry knew that girl's did NOT have cooties. There was only so much girl an 12 year old could take, especially if the girls were unknowns. Showing off for classmates was different. But Terry was on a new learning curve and his realities were ever changing.

"Hi, Terry. Feelin' ok? asked Janet.

Terry smiled up at her and grinned like a kid caught in the cookie jar and said "Hi, Mom, I'm ok." Janet leaned across him and kissed his cheek. The two room mates just smiled. Molly being the wiser said "Come on Clara. Terry gots fambly visits now. We can play later." She was rapidly pulling crayons and papers from across terry. Clara was helping too.

Clara sitting next to Terry, turned and said "We'll be back later. Have fun!" she scooted to the side of the bed and slid down to the floor causing her gown to ride up exposing her bare bottom. Books and crayons in hand, both girls made their way across the floor.

Debbie watched them go and noticed the body language of the three. Terry wouldn't admit it but he was sad to see them leave. The girls went willingly, but would eagerly return. Terry was forming a lot of affection for these girls. Debbie just smiled then she went to Terry's side and took his hand. She conveyed her inpressions of what she had seen and felt his response. He tried to deny it, but couldn't. Janet was imune to this communication and just thought herself lucky that her children still held hands.

Janet mothered her son as much as possible. The little girls were a delight to her and seemed to bounce around the room. Janet felt like the little one should have been called 'Tigger' she was so bouncy. She read stories from a book and played silly games. Even Debbie had a good time and the little girls loved with a capitol L Debbie.

The doctor came in at 1:30PM and asked when Mr. Miller would be joining them. Janet said that he was working and would be in about 5:15 PM. The doctor asked if he could be paged, provided his number and left. Janet was now concerned and tried not to let it show. She anxiously waited for Ted to arive. The suspense was killing her and time seemed to slow down. Ain't that the way it is?

Debbie saw the Mom was distracted and upset. About what she didn't know. Debbie sat at Terry's bedside and reached for his hand. Terry felt the touch and 'tuned in'. Debbie began 'What happened?'

Terry signaled 'I don't know.'

Debbie looked at him and her hand moved in his 'Something's been bothering you.'

Terry sighed and gripper her hand tightly. Debbie paled at the intensity of this. Terry was having another episode and she could only sit and lend moral support. Maybe she should tell Mom, but how was the question.

Terry relaxed his grip and moved his fingers 'What's wrong with me. Boys think I girl, girls think 2, am I gay, freak?' His eyes were misted over.

Debbie smiled at her brother and squeezed back 'Not freak, never use word, SPECIAL!, sides I m girl, nice 1 2, you nice 2.'

During their 'talk' Janet kept herself busy. She did not want to think about what could be wrong. She was scared, especially for Terry and Debbie. The afternoon passed and time moved on. At 5:20 Ted arrived in Kid Central. He saw four cute kids playing a board game. That it was three girls and one boy would be hard to prove to the casual observer. He looked for Janet and saw her refereeing the event. He crossed to her side and they exchanged hugs and kisses. He lightly kissed terry on the forehead and he to watched the game play. He was amazed at how well Terry was getting along with his room mates. Like old friends and the little one was sitting in bed at Terry's side.

"Ted, the doctor want us to page him."

"Did he say what's it about?"

"No, he just asked that we page him and he'd tell us whatever it is. I'll ask the nurse to get him. You sit with Terry."

Twenty-five minutes later a worried doctor arrived at Terry's bedside. "Hi, Terry. You're looking fine. I just need to talk to to your parents for a bit. Just go over your treatment plan and stuff. They'll be right back."

Ted and Janet stood and were escorted to a small conference room off the nurse's station. The room was furnished with a small round table, four cahirs around the table and two more next to the wall. A small sink was on one wall and a white box protruded from the wall with an electrical cord leading to a wall outlet. The doctor asked the Millers to sit and put down the folder he was carrying. He took out some 'negatives' and placed on over the white box. Flipping a switch, the box lit up to reveal an x-ray of an arm. The doctor said "This is Terry's right arm, everything looks ok. The cast is placed correctly and the Neuro checks have been satisfactory. Cast should be changed in 4 weeks and new flics done at that time." He changed x-rays and continued "This is the right leg, that too is ok. We'll continue traction for 4 weeks, then more pics and then, we hope, a walking cast. Now in the next picture" he said as he put up a new x-ray "see this area right here." He was pointing to the top of the picture. "Anyway it seems the Terry has an enlarged pelvic girdle. Normal for a girl, but unusual for a boy ." He went on "We ordered labs in the ED and most were ok, with one exception. His Urine. It seems that it got mixed up with another patient. A Urine was collected from a Terry Ellen Miller and was to be tested for Pregnancy and instead your son's urine was tested. Uh, Terry Allen Miller. The tech didn't catch the name and the Lab Supervisor did, luckily. The urine was retested and it's clean, but a second pregnancy test was performed, just to make sure the first was a fluke and it came out positive for er, uh, Pregnancy. I reordered the test today and it as positive too. Now I have to ask are you giving your son any female hormones, like birth control pills or maybe he's getting them from his sister, from someone."

Janet and Ted blanched at the question. This reaction was all the answer the doctor needed. These were not abusive parents. He continued. "I'd like your permission to talk to your daughter and I'd like to do a few tests on her. I'll also order some from each of you, but, Debbie's closer to him, genetically speaking. Oh, and I am ordering a DNA test on him and a Hormone panel. This is due to the analysis of the urine previously submitted. It was found to have a high concentrtion of Estradiol. A hormone that is increased in pregnancy. I am ordering an UltraSound of the Abdomen and the Testes. I know this is a lot to take, but I assure you, we'll get to the bottom of this. Now I have some papers for you to keep about what I said and I need a couple of signatures for the tests. Then you can go back to visit Terry."

Ted and Janet took the proffered pages and signed for the ordered tests. The doctor watched, but could find no hidden glances of emotion in their faces. "Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Miller, we'll get the tests ordered and I'll contact you with the results as soon as I get them." He gathered his paperwork and departed the room. Ted and Janet held hands as they walked back to Terry's room.

Terry smiled at his parents and signaled Debbie 'Look, Mom, Dad. Up?'

Debbie followed his instructions and watched her parents. Outwardly there was no change in them, but still. She signaled 'Not sure, find out 2nite' Terry nodded.

The rest of the visit became flat as Janet and Ted thought about what the doctor had said.

When it was time to go, Terry started to cry. Seeing him cry, both room mates came to comfort him. Janet was also starting to cry. It was decided that she would go home, shower and change, then return for the night. Till then, Debbie would stay and keep Terry company. Eyes were wiped dry and with smiling faces, Janet and Ted left for home. Molly and Clara wasted no time, climbing back on Terry's bed. Debbie smiled at their antics and signaled her brother 'nu friends, cute'. Terry smiled back, signaling 'eager, lonely, still y girls rm?'. He shrugged. Debbie told all that she knew about the 'y girl's rm' and Terry agreed it was ok. The two girls giggled as they asked Debbie questions about boys and stuff. Like kissing and holding hands and the holiest of holies, Fashion! It was a dream come true for them, they were getting advice from a BIG girl.

Terry was having fun too. Too often he was mistaken for a girl and it embarassed him. But just listening to his sister talk to the two girls, he was not embarassed. He was learning things that might be come useful when he got a girlfriend. And then there was always Debbie to ask for more information. The four spent the time just gabbing and getting better acquainted. Too soon, it seemed, this came to an end. Janet and Ted returned and after getting organized, Ted took his daughter home.

In the morning, Urine was taken from the collection bag and another round of blood was collected. Terry's catheter was cleaned and Janet helped give him a bed bath. She hadn't bathed Terry in years and was amazed at how he actually looked. So small and petite, almost like a Pixie. After the bath, clean clothes were put on and he was ready for another day. Ted brought Debbie in on his way to work and Janet drive him to give her access to a car. They spent the day playing silly games and being bored. Well all but Molly and Clara. They were excited.

The doctor came by and talked to Janet for a few minutes and nothing was said about his scheduled tests. Time seemed to stand still for Janet and the day passed. That night, Debbie got to stay with her brother and Janet and Ted went home alone.

Ted looked at his wife and asked "Janet, dear, Maybe we need to talk about your cousin."

She looked at Ted and nodded her head. "I know, but, I'm afraid."

He pulled her close and said "Just what did happen? You never did really say, just something about him dying."

Janet sighed, then started "I was visiting and we were playing hide and seek. There were maybe 9 of us. Anyway, later, some other boys came by and asked if we wanted to go for a walk to the park. They had a carousel there, I remember. Well we did, but Tony said no thanks. One of the boys called him stuck-up and laughed. We decided not to go with them. Oh, we knew them, but not the one that spoke out. So we went inside. Later we were sitting on the porch and the boys came back by the house. The one that called Tony stuck-up asked to talk to Tony and they walked down the sidewalk. We couldn't hear what was said, but Tony came back smiling. The next day, the boys came by again and this time we went to the park. We were not watching too closely and it got dark. Then we couldn't see Tony and spread out to look for him. I saw the boy that had talked to Tony come from around a building and I asked if he saw Tony. He said no and just ran off. He had walked to the park with us, but ran off when I asked about Tony. I didn't think he was very nice. Anyway, I walked around the building he came from and I saw two boys pulling up their pants. They saw me and ran off. Then I heard a noise and when I looked, it was Tony. I screamed. Everybody came over and I just pointed. Some boys pulled him up and hit him in the stomach and face. They called him a pervert and a rapist and said that he should be ashamed of himself for trying to rape me. I tried to tell them that he didn't, but they wouldn't listen. The police came and took him away. That was the last I ever saw of him. The next day, we were told that he killed hisself in jail. When his body was examined, it was learned that he had been sodomized several times and he had a chest like a girls. They did blood analysis and he had increased levels of female hormones. It turned out that he was born a Hermaphrodite and puberty caused his body to start changing. I tried to tell the police about the boys, but they wouldn't listen. Some of the other family members told stories about babies being born different and so baby boys are watched carefully for any thing different. Oh, Ted, I am so ashamed. I couldn't help my cousin and poor Terry's in the hospital and the doctor says..." She cried as Ted held he closely. Tears filled his eyes also.

Ted helped a sobbing Janet to their bedroom. Shesettled in a ball on their bed and shook as her body was wracked by bouts of tears. Ted sat at the side and watched. He so desperately anted to hold her and comfort her, but he felt sure that she needed to just cry out her demons. He would wait and plan. terry's was at stake here and he would protect his son at all costs. he fell asleep long after Janet cried herself out.

Another busy night in the hospital and Terry was joined by his sister. She watched over him with hawk like eyes and studied everything. Her posessiveness was such that the staff were unwilling to go into the room. Pediatrics is a scary field, but never had the staff seen a sibling like Debbie. She had pulled the sleep chair next to Terry's bed and they slept with hands interlocked. Unheard of. Yet the night progressed and morning showed promise on the way. A tech in a multi-colored outfit came into the room and inquired as to the identity of Terry Miller. That done, the tech brought in a strange looking machine and after plugging it into an electrical outlet, the tech exposed Terry's belly and pubic area, then applying a cool gel, began to move a 'probe' over his abdomen. Making several horizontal and vertical passes, then moving to his pubic area and repeating the procedure. Finished, the tech replaced the 'probe' after cleaning it of excess gel and then cleaned the excess gel from Terry. Bidding all of the occupants of the room a "Good Day" the tech left.

In the Ultrasound Laboratory the 'scan' of Terry Miller's abdomen and pubic areas was downloaded into a computer server awaiting 'upload' into the diagnostic computer that processed the raw data and interpreted the findings. This would be done over the next few days as well as the additional laboratory test that had been ordered. Sometime during the day, Debbie would be asked to go to the Lab and provide specimens to be used to complete the diagnostic work-up of her brother. The results of these tests would more than make up for any inconvenience that the girl felt at being poked with sharp needles and told to pee in a cup.

In the meantime, life for Terry settled into a daily hospital routine. In other words, BORING. Talk to his new friends, color, or games or reading, naps, often with Clara next to him and the indignanty of having to wear diapers at night, to keep him from soiling his bed. During the day, he used a urinal for pee and a Nurse or Aide helped him with a bedpan for other elimination. And Yes, the girls knew that he was a boy. They didn't seem to mind. He was just waiting to go home.

His best friend Paul had visited and that was good. Well, not really, Paul blamed himself for the accident. He actually started to cry. Paul said he was sorry for making fun of Terry at the Diner and for calling him a girl. He felt so bad. He did give Terry a get-well card and a gift. But seeing his best bud in a bed with his leg in some kind of contraption was too much for even Paul. He was scared too cause Terry was in a room with girls and even Paul knew that was odd.

Two weeks after his admission, Terry was again x-rayed and his arm showd a great deal of improvement. The old cast was removed and a new cast covered his arm. The new cast was of a lighter composite material and provided the child with greater freedom of movement. His leg was also x-rayed and was coming along fine. The interpretation of thescans was complete allong with the completion of the additional specimens from his family. The doctor scheduled a mini-conference with the family and that day slowly approached.

On the day of the conference, the parents drove to the hospital with their thoughts filled with unknowns. They were shown to a different conference room and after introductions were made, Terry's primary doctor began. "We all know why we're here. Janet, Ted and you too Debbie. I'v taken the liberty to invite some of my colleages as this pertains to their chosen fields. First I want to adress some underlying issues. Janet, Ted, in our investigations, we have found some remarkable things. I want to continue by asking if you want Debbie in the room. The next part can be rather graphic and she is a minor."

Janet and Ted looked at Debbie. Debbie returned their look and nodded her head, saying "Mom, Dad, Doctor, you're not going to tell me anything I don't know. As a matter of fact, you need me here." She smiled. Janet and Ted looked at her with skepticism written all over their faces. The doctor had heard her statement and didn't know what to make of it. Instead of asking her questions, he continued. "It would appear from DNA Mapping that Terry is a twin. Janet and Ted, I ask that you hold your comments for a while and I assure you that it will all be explained. As I said, Terry is a twin, but the most amazing part of that is that Terry is a twin of Debbie." The doctor smiled at Janet and swept his gaze across the assembled family. Debbie was beaming. Seeing some shock register on the faces of Janet and Ted, he continued. "Our Testing showed that Terry's DNA and Debbie's DNA were an exact match, except for the 23rd Chromosonal set. The Sex chromosone. Terry appears to have an extra one attached. It's rare, but it does happen. As shown by this summary from Vanderhouse, DNA Mapping is discussed." The doctor handed Janet and Ted a printed page as he spoke.

Department of Pediatrics, Vanderhouse University School of Medicine
DNA mapping techniques are being increasingly applied to familial and acquired disorders affecting growth and development. To understand the potential applications of these techniques, one must first have a good understanding of the components and basic structure of DNA, the genetic code, the basic structure of genes and the roles that various components of gene structure play in regulating gene expression. Following review of this basic information, a variety of DNA mapping techniques including in situ hybridization, Southern blotting, polymerase chain reaction amplification, DNA sequencing and linkage analysis will be covered. Applications of these techniques can enable mapping of unknown genes by detection of loss of allelic heterozygosity or use of linkage analysis and genetic maps. With increasing ease, mutations such as deletions, expansions, rearrangements and point mutations can be detected in diseases such as congenital adrenal hyperplasia, cystic fibrosis, diabetes insipidus, growth hormone deficiency, fragile X syndrome, Laron dwarfism and Turner syndrome. From this discussion, a better understanding of methods of gene localization, uses of genetic maps and rapid, convenient methods to detect a variety of molecular derangements causing familial disorders affecting growth and development will be gained.

Karyotypes
The complete set of chromosomes in the cells of an organism is its karyotype. It is most often studied when the cell is at metaphase of mitosis and all the chromosomes are present as dyads.
The karyotype of the human female contains 23 pairs of homologous chromosomes:
22 pairs of autosomes
1 pair of X chromosomes
The karyotype of the human male contains:
the same 22 pairs of autosomes
one X chromosome
one Y chromosome
(A gene on the Y chromosome designated SRY is the master switch for making a male.)

The doctor took his time allowing Janet and Ted to look at the paper in front of them. Sensing their frustrations, he asked "Ted, Janet, I assure you that all will be made clear. It's a startling medical discovery and I can assure you that Terry is fine. He is healing well and all of this..." the doctor spread out his hands over the assembled material on the conference table "won't make a bit of difference. We just thought that you should know what we found."
Debbie was on the edge of her seat. Finally she was getting her fondest wish. Well, in a way she was. She always wanted a sister and that's why she helped select the name Terry. She had been keeping silent for a long time and now someone important was telling her Mom and Dad what she knew. She was eager to tell Terry about this conference. Janet and Ted turned to look at each other. That there were tears in Janet's eyes was a certainty. The doctor took a moment to pause and let the Miller's get acclimated to the news. Debbie's reaction was unexpected. She just nodded her head as if she knew this all along. The doctor watched the trio and after a few minutes break, began again. "As to the fact that Debbie and Terry are twins, I know that there is the length of time between births. We have an asnswer for you and it's complicated. We believe that some time during fetal development, Terry became implanted in the uterine wall behind a cotyledon. The first Ultrasound showed a penis and we think it was inaccurate. It was before that Ultrasound that the developing fetus became burried under the cotyledon. We have theorized that what the technician thought was a penis was a part of the umbilical cord, possibly somehow wrapped around the embryo to make it appear as if a penis existed. Again, it's rare, but appears to be the case. We pulled some case files and some interesting things about twins, not the least of which were reporst of long birth intervals bewteen each twin. As this shows there have been reported birth intervals between twins in the past and we think this applies here. Especially with the DNA evidence.
Longest Interval Between Twins
Mrs. Peggy Lynn gave birth to Hanna on November 11 1995 and twin Eric on Feb 2 1996, 84 days later, the longest interval between twins. The previous record was held by Mrs. Danny Berg of Italy, who had Diana on December 23 1987 and her twin Monica on Jnuary 30 1988, 38 days later. The Keys family of Louisiana had their twins 95 days apart, in 1994 and 1995.

The longest known intertwin delivery interval with cerclage (suturing the cervical opening) is 153 days.

A case report of delayed delivery of 99 days in a triplet pregnancy was also presented. A triplet pregnancy in a single uterus resulted from Pergonal stimulation of ovulation. At 23.5 weeks' gestation, the first triplet delivered after spontaneous rupture of membranes. Ninety-nine days later, the remaining two fetuses were delivered, the second one stillborn after intrauterine death at 37 weeks of gestation, and the third fetus a normal viable female consistent with 37.5 weeks' gestation. This is the longest interval of delayed delivery discovered from a literature review, and the only such instance of triplet pregnancy in a single uterus.

CASE REPORT
Interval of 9 h between birth of twins at term: case report and review of the literature
M. W. Sრ¼tterlin1, S. Bussen1, T. Steck1 and B. Seelbach-Gრ¶bel1

(1) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Wრ¼rzburg, Josef-Schneider-StraáƒÅ¸e 4, D-97080 Wრ¼rzburg, Germany, DE
Abstract We report the case of a primipara who delivered healthy twins vaginally at term with a time interval between twins of 9 h and 19 min. Neonatal outcome and further development were normal in both twins.

The doctor passes copies of these pages to Ted and Janet and gave them a moment to scan the pages. Janet and Ted had no idea what they were looking at and said so. The doctor smiled weakly and said "I'll just cut to the chase, these are just article summaries that help prove our theories. There is a more important matter we need to discuss and that is that apart from being Debbie's twin, Terry seems to have a rare medical condition. The Ultrasound of his abdomen shows an immature set of Ovaries, along with a small canal that we have not seen an opening for. It's something to watch. His Testes are immature and his hormone levels for Testosterone are quite low. Now don't be too alarmed by that. What I mean is that for a normal 12 year old boy, his Testosterone level should be higher. His is about the normal for a 5 year old boy, his Estradiol is on par with a pubescent girl at present, we have done serial labs for this and we think that the accident caused the initial spike, remember the pregnancy test I told you about. Regardless, there have been no changes in his physiology and he remains a boy for all outward appearance. Here I want to tell you that his conition is somewhat documented. There are incomplete files about infants born with two sets of sex organs. This condition as had several names Hermaprodite and Intersexed being the two best known. Usualy these infants are sugically altered at birth, again this is due the appearance of the extenal genialia. In Terry's case he was effectivey male and was not altered. He does seem to have some female qualities and of course all of the staff has noticed the pleasant odor coming from him. We think this is due to the Estradiol, too. Now before I answer your questions let me just say that Terry's fine. He's healing well and if all goes as predicted, he'll go home next week." The parents asked qustions and they were answered by those present. An Orthopod and an Internist gave advice and suggestions for home care and follow-ups as did a Pediatrician. It was also suggested the Terry see the same Pediatric Gnyecologist that oversaw Debbie's care. A consult would be written giving relevant particulars about Terry's laboratory findings. It will be suggested that he receive a complete physical and get semi-annual lab test to include Ultrasounds." Ted and Janet digested the information and agreed to what the doctor said. All parties left the conference room with smiles on their faces.

The two weeks passed and Terry was again x-rayed. Another round of Blood work was obtained as well as a Urine specimen. Follow-ups were scheduled and he was scheduled for Physical Therapy, to learn to walk with crutches prior to being released. His Physical Therapy appointment went as expected. He was measured for crutches and shown a small movie about walking with assistive devices and scheduled for daily sessions. A 'Gait' belt was placed around his waist and he was raised to a standing position as the crutches were placed. He was shown how to step and he repeated the lesson. Soon he was using a three point gait and able to go up a small flight of stairs. The big day had arrived. He could go home, tomorrow. But what to wear. The cast on his right thigh was a unilateral hip spica and had added extra material at the waist line. Regular pants would not go over it too well and even shorts would be difficult. The only option seemed to be an open bottomed garmet, like a skirt. Debbie was asked about this idea and 'talked' to her brother. It took some persuading, but he was eager to go home and if this was the only way, well. He didn't have to like it, just be able to walk in the cast with crutches.

Unfortunately he required different underwear and that too was discussed with him. His option of using the disposable diapers was still an option, but he had his pride. Again with much trepidation, he relented. He wanted to go home. His boy briefs had to be replaced with something smaller and more comfortable and Janet took Debbie shopping for his clothes. That the required clothing resembled girl's panties made Debbie laugh and Terry frown. Debbie was quick to embarrass him by saying 'well people think u girl, now u wear girl clothes'. Of course this was strictly between sister and brother. The other thing Debbie did was tell Terry about the 'conference' and the possible changes in his body. He was shocked by this and cried. Debbie comforted him and 'talked' him through it. Now he was looking forward to going home, even if he had to wear girl's clothes. So with a tearful goodbye to the staff and his room mates, Terry was discharged from the hospital.

The ride home was the most excitement he had had for a while. Mom said that Dad's study had been converted to a bedroom for his use. That was fine with Terry. He didn't like the stairs anyway. It was bad enough that he had to wear this skirt. He couldn't wait to get into a pair of real pants and maybe some regular underwear. Debbie had seen him in the new undies and told him that he made a nice looking sister. They both laughed at that. When Debbie had talked about the conference he was amazed at first, but the more they talked and remembered things from their past, the more sense it seemed to make. One thing was certain....'Life' is strange.

But Terry was home from the hospital. Even if he was unsteady on crutches, he was improving daily. It was easier to walk in a skirt and he was enjoying the freedom of movement. Whether or not skirts would be a part of his future was yet to be seen. He looked at his Mom and smiled "Mom, am I gonna be ok?" he queried.

Janet smiled and nodded her head 'YES', saying out loud "Yes, Honey. You are gonna be perfect. We're just gonna take it one day at a time and you're gonna be perfect."

Terry smiled at the answer and said "One day at a time. Yah!" He hesitated and added "Umm, Mom, can I have a snack?"

With thanks to T.D. Aldoennetti for your assistance with editing.

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting

littlerocksilver's picture

May we expect a continuation? :)Portia

Portia

Mostly pleasing

I enjoyed this, for the most part. Maybe a bit too wordy but not bad.

Two things about his room in the hospital. First, I don't quite accept the reasoning given for putting him in with those two girls, the second and forth reasons: ". . .second he seems to have the staff reacting like he is a girl. . . . And I know the nurses on the Girls Pediatric Ward and they want him there." Not going to rant here, just don't buy them.

And the doctors says he wants to put Terry in a semi-private room, then he puts Terry in a room with two girls and an empty bed. Every hospital I've ever been in, and that is more than a few, had two types of rooms. Private, with a single patient, and semi-private, with two patients. Four in a room is hardly semi-private, as Terry found out. And no wards, such as the British seem so fond of, and the Pediatrics unit, when there was one, was not separated by sex. One hospital I was in had no normal Peds unit except for critical care, any other children were in semi-private rooms, always with an adult roommate. Never two children together. That kept disturbances to a minimum.

Nit-picking, I know. It's a bad habit of mine.

Now, do we get more?

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Okay, since Karen commented I will

I liked this lot.

I hope for more but this is point at which you can stop ... for awhile.

It is apparent the mom and pop knew he/she was born intersexed or there was this family history on her side of many of the few men becoming real woman at puberty. but choose to let the child decide, only they waited to long to warn him/her what was coming. At the moment there is a balance, he could stay and develop as a man or as a girl but wither they found our because of the accident or it was the accident that has shifted the balance well in favor of her female side maturing and not the male side.

The child’s odd sent and other things suggest she was always female except for her outward appearance and even that was androgynous. Mom and Dad should have told her earlier.

A fine effort. Continue this or post other stuff and I will read it.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I think, that I will comment

I think, that I will comment too.

I really like this. It has brighter and sader moments.

But I'm really confused in one question: "How old is Debbie?" At one point of story it's said, that she's almost 13, and at another is said, that she's 16... I don't understand it.

I will be looking forward for next part.

Robin

Age...

PattieBFine's picture

Debbie is almost 16 as it's written... Terry is the pre-teen... alluding to 3years +,... gestation time for Terry

I don't know where you live....

PattieBFine's picture

But having been run over (Hit and run drunk driver) by a car at age 14, I was first put in a semi-private with a boy from my school with apendics out... the wimp moaned ALL THE TIME! I was far worse off than him... I asked to be moved so I could sleep... and was put in a 4 bed-room with the girls, none I knew though. I'm from MA USA... it's a toss here 2, 4, 6 bed rooms... the only singles now are intensive care rooms...

Good read

I quite enjoyed this, but most writer's will pretty much win me over with a fairly lengthy story =) Anyway I hope to see a continuation!

How will I stand it?

I've known a few people who had things similar. Mine was very minor in comparison. Please let me know if they decide to cut out 'er girl parts. I won't read on. Too painful.

Great writing. Good story telling skills. Loved the story otherwise.

Gwen

Out Standing

I just loved this story, Very well writen i do hope there is more as i can Terry changing into a girl, she has all the equipment. I have known a lot of nurse in the years and some have wanted people in there ward, I can see putting him in the girls ward as the boys were just be to much trouble. I feel so sorry for the little girl as her folks seam not to care about her just given her up for dead. As for the room anyone that has been in a Military hospital four in a room is semi Pvt. I have see Hospital all over the world and know this could be a real one, the Bridish love wards don't understand that but they do, a big hospital would have a pedi area with room of boys and girl I have never seen one with an Area for both but could happen, again loved the story and hope you go on with it.

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

No They Don't !

The British do NOT love wards, least their patients do not. It is just that many of their hospitals are so OLD, and that is how they were built back in the days of FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE, who sort of invented nursing as a profession back in the Victorian Age!

Nowdays in Britain there are Private Patient hospitals as well as National Health (State Owned) ones, and some National Health ones have Private Rooms too, but for ordinary people it is deemed cheaper to shove 20 - 40 in one huge ward. In some places they even have mixed sex wards, because there is a shortage of beds. You have to wait sometimes 6 months for a place and an operation - not for accident and emergency cases but for planned ops like a hip repair for an older person for example. The UK spends far less per person on Health Care than do any of the other European countries, and far far less than you do in the USA, so standards are just much lower. Even in our best places. There are a lot of reasons for all this - over-administration for example - in Greater London are there are 11 administrators to each hospital bed !

General Practitioners have to be consulted before they will refer you to a hospital to see a specialist doctor, so it takes ages before you ever get to see a proper doctor anyway. GPs arent very good, they do not do proper diagnosis with tests to back them up but just make a guess and prescribe what they think might work. There are no specialists outside hospitals, unless you are so rich you can bypass the System and get to see one directly in London's Harley St or a few in other big cities.

Fact is, the UK probably by now has a worse healthcare system than anywhere in Europe except Romania!

This was a very sweet, sad and sometimes happy story. Very well; written too, good characterization, surprises, nothing really nasty in it... I loved it. Thanks for sharing it.

Briar

Briar

Nice story

An excellent story, Brandie... and with the twin birth medical phenomenon I didn't know existed.

My only niggling critique is capitalizing words that don't need it: "Bathroom Hamper", "Nursery Rhyme", etc.

Looking forward to part 2.

Very Good.

This is very good Brandie, and it is medically correct. However, there are still misspellings and a few grammar errors, and word omissions throughout the whole story.

Now what I was going to say is, that the plot keeps the reader in suspense, until at the end when everything is explained. With these developments, Terry will develop as a girl, there is no doubt of that. The dialogue is like you would find between any family visitnfg at the hospital, and the boy at the diner who thought Terry was a girl and bought Terry her lunch, was not wrong. The fact that Terry is Debbie's twin just maes this story all the more exciting, and proves that twins can communicate without vocally saying anything.

This story needs to be continued tho, because I am sure that every reader wants to know how Terry gets along in her "new" gender developments, and what kinds of emotions she goes through when these changes do happen.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading this, and thank you for sharing, and I used "her" in these comments, because Terry is genetically female.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Great Story!

I really enjoyed reading this story. . . a nice twist of the "accident" to the main character. I also hope for a continuation of this story. I especially liked the silent communication between Debbie and Terry.

Diane

A terrific start

Robyn B's picture

Brandie,

A good story with a few differences in the plot line to separate it from the mainstream stories in the pre-teen/intermediate category.

Others have commented on the issue of 'semi-private'. I have been a nurse for over 30 years and in my experience, in Aussie hospitals, a private room has one bed; semi-private has two beds and a public room has three or more. The fact that Terry's room only had three beds occupying a four bed space is not uncommon.

In my younger days boys and girls were always separated once they grew out of infancy. More to do with the prudish nature of nursing establishment than anything else I think. In the 21st century it doesn't seem to be such an issue as it once was. More out of necessity rather than the need for segregation.

I felt that Terry was going to have intersex issue from early in the story. This whetted my reading to continue. I hope this is not a stand alone story as there are many more issues needing further discussion and illumination. Having the doctors present medical literature within the text of the story is new in my experience and went to show the level of research conducted by the author. Being used to reading medical literature, I don't mind it. But, non-medical people will just gloss over it if it doesn't mean anything to them.

I am fascinated by the concept of non-verbal communication between Debbie & Terry. A clever literary tool to define the relationship between the two. I sensed before reading it further down that Debbie & Terry must have been twins. Well done.

Understanding the time pressures involved with the current season of Christmas et al, I hope that it won't be too long before we get the pleasure of reading part 2 of this story.

Well done and keep on writing.

Robyn B
Sydney

Robyn B
Sydney