Um, wow. Getting lots of requests recently for info about this universe. Here you go.
It's a Retcon Universe. That means all the stuff you've read over the months/years/decades doesn't mean squat. The term "retcon" is a contraction of "RETroactive CONtinuity" for the curious. The most powerful hero and the most like Comic Canon is the Green Lantern, Jade. She is a deus ex machina for tech equipment, instant costume change rings, etc. But only if you ask her nicely.
Everyone else is up for grabs from whatever universe you can pull them from DC, Marvel, Vertigo, Wildstorm, Dark Horse, etc. As long as there is a comic written about them they are fair game.
If you plan to use a Mega-uber-super-powered person (i.e. Superman, Darkseid, Captain Mar-Vell, et al) then contact me before wanting to be a part of this universe. We're stunting their growth and powers since this Universe takes place in the Real World. That means Gotham City and Metropolis do not exist.
- The Metagene (or X-Gene or X-Factor): Only (approx.) 6500 people, of all ages, in the world have it strong enough to actually make you "Super". This means the odds of someone your character knows having it are not good at all, but possible. In other words, don't go crazy turning all of your character's friends into the new Justice League or Avengers. The Metagene does not have to change the gender of the person in question. The reason behind the change has already been hinted at but not reveled.
- Magic: Exists, but is only being unveiled at this point, at the Fifth Age of Magic.
- Super Ray Guns That Fit In Your Pocket: Only exist in outer space on other planets that are not Earth. And since there is a big war going on out there, at the moment, they aren't going to be coming here any time soon. That goes for a lot of Comic Book Tech. Some cool stuff is just being invented that you might be able to use, contact me if you absolutely need to know for your story.
- Physics: Laws are still in effect, so try to keep it somewhat realistic. If your character weighs a thousand pounds, falling from a building will probably damage the sidewalk, and they'll never be able to find shoes that last for more than a few minutes.
- Existing Characters: Be nice and contact the author's of existing characters for their permission to be used if you want to use them. And return them as you found them unless you get their okay.
*** Newest Update *** DNA tests that are use to pinpoint whether or not someone is a Meta cannot be performed in a few minutes, or an hour... maybe in a couple of days or so. Please remember that we're using today's technology. The only thing that could tell if someone is a Meta quickly would be a Power Ring or the medical devices on Jade's Starcruiser.
*** Update *** Contact Lilith to make sure the character you want to write about has not been taken by someone else. Some feelings have been hurt already over this and I'd like to minimize those times by as much as possible. This goes for established CRU authors as well.
*** Update *** Reiterating the odds of anyone becoming a super powered meta are low, about one in a million. What would be the odds that a group of friends would all be super powered metas before the change? A statistical impossibility.
I think that's about it. If you have any questions about how things work, want to write a canon story of your own, or whatever, PM me, please.
(Derived from the CRU Wiki Timeline. If you think your story is in the wrong place or not included then contact Lilith)
Samplings of the Population by Lilith Langtree
How to Take the Kill Shot by Enemy of Fun
When Lightning Strikes by Lynceus
Terra: Between a Rock and… Another Rock by Lilith Langtree
To Dream the American Dream by Lilith Langtree
Thor-girl: Wrath of a Thunder God by Lilith Langtree
Hell-Girl: Aww Crap by Lilith Langtree
Catch As Cat Can by Maid Joy
Some Kind of Wonderful by Enemy of Fun
Magdalena: The Palm of Your Hand by Lilith Langtree
The Devil is in the Details
Big Trouble by Lynceus
Blue Bug from Outer Space by Enemy of Fun
Sin and Steel: The Succubus Files
My Enemy, Myself
All That Glitters by Enemy of Fun
What Light Through Yonder Shadow...
Green With Envy
A Ghost of A Chance
Books of Magik
Born in a Watery Grave
Enter the Copycat by Lynceus
Magical Chaos!: Crossing over
Free Spirit by Lynceus
The Wolf's Howl
Catching Up by Maid Joy
I Am the Night by Enemy of Fun
Ceiling Kitty is Watching You... by Lilith Langtree
Catch Scratch Fever by Maid Joy
Big Trouble 3
Deep Into That Darkness Peering
Catatonia by Maid Joy
Black Canary Sings
Out of the Ashes
Tears of the Phoenix
Jade: The Price of Vengeance by Lilith Langtree
Darkchylde/Dick Grayson: I'm Not a Sidekick by Lilith Langtree
Trial of the Phoenix
The Cat's in the Cradle by Maid Joy
Sandy Claws by Maid Joy
Out of the Ashes II
Cataloging Events by Maid Joy
To Die and Know It by Lilith Langtree
Bound to Serve the Dark by Lilith Langtree