Using wrong story size tag?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

A lot of very short stories use the wrong story size tag. It's really misleading. I know some authors are anticipating future chapters, but I believe unless the whole book is already done the size tag shouldn't include future writings.

Policy

erin's picture

It's our policy to leave that sort of decision up to the authors because....

It would make LOTS more work for me to have to police the tags and I spend most of my day working on BC, either upfront or behind the scenes. So, most tags can be used in the way that the author decides works. The one I do police is Selected Themes which is a signal that stories contain no adult-oriented subject matter.

One thing though, to authors -- it is possible to mark an episode as Novel and Serial Chapter, both at the same time. But it ain't required because I'm not staying up all hours to make sure someone does that.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I agree

If I look at a story on the front page, and it says: "Novel, > 70,000 words" or whatever, I usually leave it alone. I'm anticipating a huge file and about 3-4 hours reading (at least). I'm also not anticipating a serial, despite what the series/solo flag says. I know people get that one wrong.

I try to make the length accurately reflect the number of words in each of my posts, to guide my readers. It probably helps that I also attempt to make each chapter about the same length, 6,000-9,000 words, with the majority being 8,000-9,000. But I see items marked "drabble" which are in excess of 2,000 words and many others with inaccurate sizings.

Penny