Hi, I'm new, and having a bit of trouble navigating

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Hi everyone! I just joined this site to comment on a story, and since I went that far, I figured I may as well pop in here to chat.
I've been reading fictionmania for years, but I've only visited this site a few times because searching the content seems more daunting. Anyway, I was searching for some new magic/sci-fi transformation stories, but I have some trouble finding ones I want to read, considering most stories are posted in segments. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good stories involving magic/sci-fi transformations. Just give me some recommendations of your favorites, especially if they're well-written and coherent with fleshed-out characters or plot. I would have no problem reading a serially-posted story, but selecting one is one of the hardest parts.
Until I get some replies, I'll keep tooling around with the search functions.

You Might Try

littlerocksilver's picture

The Cynthia Chronicles. I think they're pretty good; however, since I wrote them, I might be a bit biased.

Portia Bennett (littlerocksilver)

Portia

Read this

scroll to the bottom of the cattegoty browser and read THE CENTER stories that should be a good place to start & the Dark Realm Universe. Those should keep you busy for awhile
Welcome aboard to our wonderful site HUGS RICHIE2

I hear that.

Searching on this site can be a bit frustrating. When you select story tags to search with you're stuck with long lists of multi-part stories. Sometimes they're ones you've already read or have no interest in reading.

Unfortunately there's no way to filter out stories/authors you don't like; however, you can place authors you don't like on ignore. Ignore doesn't remove them from your lists but it does make them easier to skip when you're quickly scrolling through the page.

Their story windows shrink down in size, it helps you remember whose storytelling style you don't like (so you don't spend time reading the first few paragraphs and moving on), and it makes all their windows look uniform in size you can quickly scroll past them.

As for recommended "magical transformation" stories, I'd highly recommend Tales of the Eerie Saloon by Ellie Dauber and Christopher Leeson. It's a well written, and lengthy, saga. It is an historical fiction though. You mentioned sci-fi so I'm not sure if you like things set in the past. Still, what's not appealing about a TG story set in the Old West?

There are a few ......

Really Great Stories on here with Magic/Sci-Fy Transformation's.My Faves are "Wild Magic" & "A Familiar Experience: A DarkRealms Tale" by Wren Pheonix,The "Beyond the Pale","Pixie's Honor","Lily's Magic",& "Pixie Dreams" by Elsbeth,& Then there are "The Power" by Sue Brown & "The Maiden of Magic" by Drakira.There is also "Resident Robin" & "Resident Robin: Apocolypse" by darkkitten & Zoe Taylor.There is also "A Ring Tailed Bandit" & "Alandria's Song" Also by darkkitten These are just some of my Faves on here.

Reccomendations

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Well there's always Morpheus (he's on this site too!) and his stories if you haven't read them.
There's Elrod's Bikini Beach stories
There's The DarkRealms Universe stories written by a plethora of authors myself included.

And finally there's my own shameful self-plug all my stories involve a magic change (well except for virtually twisted). One of my main goals is writing a good coherent story with a plot and fleshed out characters. So my stories may be up your alley, but I'll let you be the judge on whether or not I was successful in my endeavors. ;)

Have delightfully devious day,

problem

Not all authors put the correct tags on the stories even if they are sci fi. You may just have to go through some stories to find the type your looking for. Some authors are very good about putting all the tags. Others, like myself, find that the story doesn't fit, or more often, the tags give away what the story really is too soon.

Magic and Sci Fi, huh?

Well, let's see...

Let's tackle Magic transformations first, shall we?

Maiden By Decree by Maggie Finson
Wild Magic by Wren Phoenix
Season of the Witch by EnemyofFun (so far my favorite Dark Realms story)
Blue Moon by Donna Lamb
Pres-Doh! by Joanne Foxcourt

And now for some Sci Fi!

Genomorph by Scott Ramsey
Firefly: Connecting Flight by Randalynn
Blue Bug From Outer Space by EnemyofFun (my favorite Comics Retcon)
Slacker by Moongoddess

I was wanting five of each, but I couldn't think of any other Sci Fi that just jumped out at me from the site as READ ME!!! stuff.

Read Enemyoffun's stuff though. Seriously, it's all great :P

Melanie E.

si/fi* magic

hi,
here are a few stories. and a si/fi site.

glass halffull, a little fox tale,accidental magic, all it would take, [sea changes (http://morfs.nowhere2go.org/)]

I don't know other key words like age type of magic, ect

If like to know more emailme back.

Why not try

Maddy Bell's stories, Saga of Tuck and the S.P.S. Universe s?

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Navigation is easy...

Andrea Lena's picture

...second star to the right; straight on until morning, aye?

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

There are so many good

There are so many good stories on the site, but I am just going to name 3 that no others have mentioned so far.

Dancing on Daddy's shoes - Mark McDonald
Moon harper - Armond
The Nightingale's song - Armond

Good that you mentioned

Good that you mentioned armond. Armond is one of those authors were you should read everything because it's awesome.

A good strategy for navigation on this site is to check all the stories of an author you like. Most write several stories in a genre and many authors write exclusively SF/Fantasy.

I can recommend my favorite list which is mostly SF/Fantasy: The single story part: http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/favorite_nodes/view/fiction/14018

and my book pages favorites: http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/favorite_nodes/view/book/14018

If you want to find older stories the retro Classic Commentary can help to find older stories - most of those are pretty good, or nobody would write comments even years after ;)

You might try.

Couple of my favorite magical ones would be: "The Rusted Blade" by by kitn and darkice, "A Walk in the Darm" by Maggie Finson, "Somewhere Else Entirely"
by Penny Lane (though might not entirely fall under magical)
For scifi: "Confederation" by Salrissa, "Legacy of the Anari" by Ashleigh Blayze, "Galactic Marshal" by Hilltopper to name just a few

Re: Somewhere Else Entirely

By yours truly, is not magical at all but firmly in the Sci-Fi camp. The tag "Other Worlds" says it all, although I do realize this can refer to fantasy worlds as well.

Even then it's not sci-fi as some think of it (meaning the future) but it's set in a kind of past on another planet. The future will come at the end, as it does in real life.

If you want Sci-Fi by me, then you might try Daughters of Time which is again firmly in the Sci-Fi genre.

Penny

If you are into Superhero

If you are into Superhero type universe stories I can recommend Whateley Academy stories at http://www.crystalhall.org/ Some of them are also on this site. It's a shared universe of a dozen or so authors with enough stories to equal 45 (I think) average sized books and more stories are added each week. There is also a lot of fan fic of their universe on their forum, some of it is pretty good too.

The main focal point of the universe is Whateley Academy, a place where young mutants are taught a basic education with a little extra on the side. The core group of the universe is Team Kimba 6 or 7 students who are transgendered in different ways that meet up on the first day of school, became friends and have adventures. Other characters have been added over the years of all different kinds of background, some transgendered some not.

Try this one

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Try "Fit-4-U" After You've read it, click on the "magic" tab. Don't be daunted by the segment. Any serial story will connect to the rest of the segments down the right side of the screen. Just scroll down and find the start and click on it. After that, they're all daisy-chained together.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

A good sci-fi

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

A good Sci-Fi, by one of my favorite authors is "The Encounter," by Valentina Michelle Smith. She has a number of good Sci-Fi stories posted here. Go to her page by clicking her name above and scroll down to see her Sci-Fi stories.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Hey! That's what I like too!

Some of my favorites are:
"Something Feels Strange" by TiffQ,
"For The Fairest" and "Season of The Witch" by Enemyoffun(both from her "DarkRealms" universe),
and "Kit and Kin" by poetheather, also a "DarkRealms" story.
There are LOT of other stories that are great, but these are the ones that came to mind first. They should fit the bill.

I can agree with all the other posters,

but I have to add, read anything by Lillith Langtree. Especially The Center stories, and They don't Need any Rules, And The Soul Does Not Die. Then got to Brandy's site and read her stuff. She has her two older sites plus http://www.tigger-n-brandy.net/brandy-index.html. Those should keep you busy. Don't forget Tigger's postings. They are not in your category, but they are good, especially Acting Dominant. It's superb.

I know of only one magic & sci-fi story

The only story I've heard of that has a transformation that's both magic and sci-fi is 'Wisper' by Sleethr. The boy develops the ability to control/activate electronics while holding a vial of deactivated classified military nanites (while on a school field-trip). The nanites then take an off-handed remark as an order and downloads the DNA of his female RPG character who is an elf thief/ magic-user into his DNA.

its located at the top

of the page in the purple area to the upper right corner:

Home | Stories | Solos | Serials | Authors | Blogs | Forums | WebLinks | FAQ

its the one in large white letters : Authors. Click that and it takes you to the alphabetical author page.

Sephrena

Alphabetic story list

I think he was asking for the list of all stories sorted by story title which I also cannot find anymore.

Martina

Sci-Fi Recommendations

For current and ongoing stories I would put Whisper by Sleethr at the top of the list.

For completed stories, I would recommend the Araya's Hope trilogy by Prudence Walker. She also wrote: Maiden's Curse, Carversion and Teg Legacy. All available here at BC.

_Bev_

I'll add a couple of older ones...

Not sure all of these are on Big Closet or Big Closet top shelf

The Unicorn's Gift by Sarah Lynn Morgan
Maiden by Decree by Maggie Finson
The Amy Series by Amy Komori (although this isn't "complete" a collection of episodes)
Shit Happens but so do Miracles by Tanya Allan
Princess by Default by Noel Lexicon (scifi not magic)
Throwing Like a Girl by Tar Baby

HI guys, it's the O/P here!

Hi, I posted the original post, here, but I guess I had trouble validating. I don't think I ever got an email to validate my account. Anyway, I created another account, and hopefully the email arrives soon, because I'd like to be able to comment on stories, give kudos, and participate in this forum.
Thanks for all of the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out. In the time since posting the original post, I've found a bunch of great stories without checking in on the forum. I read a ton of DarkRealmsUniverse stories, and they're fantastic, for the most part.
By the way, D.A.W., I read your DarkRealms story on Fictionmania, and that's why I came to this site. I remembered the universe name from a previous visit to this site a couple years ago. I loved it! I also read a couple of your Ragnarok stories, and I really enjoyed those, too.
Um... as for all of your recommendations, the response is a bit overwhelming. I didn't expect so many people to bother responding, so thank you! I'll be checking them out in the future.
In addition to the DarkRealms stories, I've read a couple of The Center stories, Elsbeth's The Sacrificial Boy, and She of The Jade Skirt, by Draflow & Seethr. Those are most of the stories that have stood out to me so far, and I've enjoyed them all immensely.

Also, I'm working on my first story. I've probably been reading TF fiction for four or five years, and I've never tried my hand at writing my own story. It'll probably be a while before I find it worth submitting, but before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in reading and critiquing it. I've never really written fiction before, so I'd be really appreciative if someone could give me some feedback. I think my transitions between dialogue and narration can be a bit sloppy.
Anyway, it's a MORFs story. I haven't read any MORFs stories in quite a while, as it seems it isn't as popular of a universe as some others on here. I would assume Britney McMasters would want me to submit it to her for approval, but does anyone know if she's still active?

Anyway, thanks for all of your help, guys & gals!

Actually, I think I'd be

Actually, I think I'd be willing to submit it for critique even before I'm finished writing it, just to get some feedback, so that I don't have to completely rewrite it, or perform heavy editing. I'm mostly concerned with these concepts:

-I think maybe my characters all sound too similar to each other.
-Dialogue may sound unnatural.
-I am concerned with using too many cliches.
-Any grammatical errors, although I think these would be purely errors from writing fiction for the first time, and not necessarily errors regarding sentence construction.

At this point, I'm still working on fleshing out the characters, and I'm still figuring out where exactly the plot is going. I just want some types for my writing style. I think it might be too Hemmingway-esque (brusque, terse, lacking detail). It might be too action-oriented, and not delve into the thoughts of the main character. I think the narration might be too sequential, and I could probably cut out some parts.

*shrug* If anyone's interested in checking out what I have so far, send me a PM with your email, or something. I'd really appreciate some feedback and constructive criticism!