R.I.P. Peter Parker

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I'm not sure if you guys have heard, but Marvel has killed off Peter Parker a.k.a. Spiderman.

In a convoluted plot involving a brain switch with his old enemy Doc Ock, Peter ended up dying while the villain now is in Peter's body replacing him as Spiderman.

Dont know how long this death will last, the last major death in the Marvel Universe was Captain America, and he was back so fast most people probably didnt even know he was gone ...

Parker has died before

erin's picture

Most recently the Peter Parker of the Ultimate universe died and was replaced as Spider-Man by Miles Morales, a teen-age black Hispanic kid.

It's all about pumping up the sales of a string of issues with the drama. The Human Torch also recently "died" and came back in a very good story where the rebirth was telegraphed so well that you didn't feel that they were cheating to bring him back.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Erm,

Which version of Torch died this time? He has died or been deactivated repeatedly. Even Toro (his "Robin") has had a couple of incarnations.

Johnny Storm

erin's picture

Johnny, who in the old continuity was just about Peter Parker's age is now ten years older because of how they brought him back to life. This is kind of interesting, I think that they did this because his spot as rebellious youngster has been taken by his niece and nephew.

And now of course, they are doing another reboot.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

So what's new?

Superheroes often seem to pick up the Lazarus gene, while publishers will do almost anything to try and boost sales (including, in DC's case, rebooting 52 separate characters while using convulted plot devices to try and maintain some form of relationship with previous continuities...)

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Don't they realize

Frank's picture

People are fans of Peter Parker more than they are Spiderman? His human problems were what made the comic so different. He could do all these amazing things, but couldn't get a date, He was normal the rest of the time, with normal problems.

I think that's why I enjoyed the Spiderman reboot from this past summer. It took the character back to its roots. Now the other trilogy seems so Tobey McGuire-ish to me :)

{{Hugs}}

Hugs

Frank

*rolls eyes*

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I must confess to have rolled my eyes when seeing this as it's almost compulsory now for comic book heroes to 'die' and then come back. I'm disappointed in Marvel because Spiderman has always been about Peter Parker's problems as much as the wall crawling. Doc Ock running around in a brand new Peter Parker body isn't really the same for me. That being said I stopped reading the books after One More Day / Brand New Day when they retconned out Spiderman and MJ's marriage in the most dire way they could seem to contrive.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Why do I get the feeling that

Why do I get the feeling that Sheldon Cooper will rant about it? And probably in a very passionate monologue.

death of spiderman

Disney is replacing peter parker with Goofy.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Son of a....

Andrea Lena's picture

....Biggs WAS right!!!!

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Probably not

Sheldon seems to be exclusively a DC fan, at least his wardrobe is.

R.I.P.

Andrea Lena's picture

This just in.... Current writing team kills franchise for good by holding on tenaciously like a pit bull on a mail man's leg to overworked characters by recycling them in frustrating scenarios and lengthy run-on sentences rather than coming up with a new idea! The original Peter Parker, now living in Seattle and working as writer for a web-based ad-agency said the following.

"I don't care what they tell you... Mary Jane is alive and we are thtill very much married...we jutht cuddle a lot more than we uthed to." When asked to respond to the rumor that he was a pre-op transsexual, he responded,"

"Thatth for MJ to know and none of you to find out, tho there."

Peter then razzed the camera, revealing a tongue studded with a single 1/4 k diamond. Stan Lee spoke on behalf of the family in a separate press release, stating,

"I always wondered about the spandex...."

John Romita was unavailable for comment. Steve Ditko did comment, stating simply,

"I knew about the rumors, and I would have done something in the first go-around of the label, but I could never manage to draw women's shoes..."

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

As long as

As long as it doesn't end with Bobby Ewing exiting a shower.

Peter Parker died

after spending three days unsuccessfully trying to get out of his bath tub and succumbed to exhaustion.

People say, "You don't know what you had until it's gone." Very true, but also equally true is, "You don't know what you've been missing until is arrives."

Big Surpise

Big surpise,though personally I think jena's comment was the best. I can see it now goofy decked out as spider man with him saying Halt evil do'ers Cuyuk or whatever that sound he made was.