Disney buys Star Wars !

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Well, according to the news, Disney has bought Lucasfilm, and plans for another Star Wars film by 2015. Good thing? Bad thing?

I find you lack of mouse ears

Raff01's picture

I find you lack of mouse ears disturbing.

I am not sure about another movie. I was happy with the original trio then Lucas made episode 1 and he managed to anger half the fans with that. I am just afraid that Disney would make several movies and destroy the franchise

The way I see it

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Disney may own Lucasfilm now, but the company is more or less intact. The only person that is leaving is Lucas.

That being said the prequels were pretty awful IMHO so they couldn't do much worse. I'm holding out hope that with Lucas out of the way maybe they can bring back the splendor of the original series.

Have delightfully devious day,

I have a bad feeling about

I have a bad feeling about this.

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

a new trilogy for starters,

a new trilogy for starters, then a new movie every 2-3 years is what i read in an Australian newspaper this morning.

Lucas sold it for 4 Billion, 1/2 in cash the rest in stock options, Gerogie will be real comfortable in his retirement.

supposedly they basically have a new trilogy already written that carrys on from Return of the Jedi.

there was a great comic in the paper too, Darth Vader kneeling down and saying "yes my master" and the shadowed Jedi has mickey mouses head.

sod the force, may the spin-offs be with you.

Not surprised

Teek's picture

Star Wars, Muppets, Marvel, Pixar - - - Disney is positioning themselves to be more than Princesses and Mice.

Getting Star Wars does not surprise me, for Lucas decided many years ago only Disney had the right perspective on things to represent Star Wars at an amusement park. The Star Wars section at Disney World has been a big hit.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Disney buys Star Wars !

Fiona K's picture

I can see it now Beauty and the Bobba Fett

"The things that make me different are the things that make me." - A.A. Milne
"Nothing happens until the pain of remaing the same, outweighs the pain of change." - Arthur Burt

depends

One thing I noticed is that with the prequels you found out, finally, that the whole story of star wars was about anakin skywalker and how the choices he made changed a universe. Really it all made sense.

If disney does another storyline carrying on from the end of return of the jedi it would be just another fan fic of the original.

Hmm...

Extravagance's picture

New Star Wars movie? Shadows of the Empire would make a great movie. Prince Xizor is a very satisfactory villain, and Guri is the hottest droid ever! :)

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Re the New Star Wars Trilogy Plans...

Don't forget that Lucas's original outline (or so he claimed back circa 1980) was for three trilogies, with the third one focusing on the next generation after Luke and Leia. From what he said then, his plan was not to make it until the late 1990s or the 2000s, when Hamill and Fisher would be old enough to play their characters a full generation after IV-V-VI, whether or not they could be convinced to do so then.

Lots of water under the bridge since that interview, of course. I gather that there's a series of authorized novels set in Han and Leia's kids' generation now (I'm not sure about other media), and I don't know whether or not that forestalls or circumscribes the old plans, assuming there was anything to them. But it does seem that Lucas had some further plot developments planned a long time back.

Eric

Authorized or Canon?

I love Star Wars, having watched it since I was a little kid. But I never really got into the books. A lot of people have been commenting lately about whether or not the new films will follow the books. I guess what I'm wondering is if that actually matters? I was under the impression that while the books were "authorized" most of them weren't actually considered canon. I'm not sure if that was true or not. If it is, then it wouldn't matter if they ignored the books entirely.

Personally, I'd love them to diverge from the current setting and move on to new plots and characters. The Old Republic setting that BioWare created for KotOR (pre-TOR) is ripe for new plots (I'd love to see something for the Mandalorian wars). They literally have millennia at their disposal.

This whole deal has made me very excited, though very cautious. I've strongly believed that the new trilogy did so terribly because Lucas had too much creative control over the project. I'm hoping with fresh blood we can see some quality stuff again. Overall, I do trust Disney to do a good job. They've shown with stuff like Avengers (from what I hear) that they can do other universes correctly.

I guess I just have to wait and see.

All of the books as far as I

All of the books as far as I know are canon. It's just that Lucas always reserved the right to change things and then mess up the canon as he saw the films as being more important than anything else.

The thing with Avengers I think was that Joss Whedon ran that. I truly believe that Joss is what helped make that movie so good.

Samirah M. Johnstone

All of the books WERE canon

That all changed a few years back when the "New Jedi Order" books got so out of hand it wasn't even funny any more. After that, Lucas officially un-canoned everything in Fic-dom except for a handful of Timothy Zahn books from back in the day, since authors had taken it upon themselves to commit some real travesties with the universe.

And, even if they were technically canon, that never kept Lucas from undoing their Canon status with his movies. Eps 1-3 completely destroy any canon aspects of the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian trilogies, and even throw some history behind things like the Mandalorians and such into question.

Melanie E.

PS: I used to be quite the Star Wars geek, can you tell?

One day you and I will meet

One day you and I will meet under cover of darkness with no one around and geek out for days.

Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Sounds like fun! :D

I'm always up for a good geek-session, though I'm more of a geek-in-training than anything. I've only seen a dozen or two episodes of Doctor Who, and never once have I sat down and watched an entire series of Trek in its entirety.

Melanie E.

We will start on common

We will start on common ground Star Wars works and if you read Zahn's books you're fine.

Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

After the original movie it

After the original movie it was rumored than George had 3 trilogies but the third never developed. As long as they stay away fron that " new Jedi order" crap from the books it can't be any worse. If its really bad they can just claim its an alternate unrevise like the last Star Trek movie. A ok action flick but crap Star Trek.

Lucas also sold his story

Lucas also sold his story outlines for Star Wars to Disney when he sold Lucasfilm. I guess I saw this coming, my cousin at ILM said they were being told about it some time back because George was tired. Incidentally, this move now reunites Lucasfilm and Pixar (which George also created and later sold because he didn't have time).

The issue that they'll run into is that the one way to piss off the fans even more will be to completely shove the books aside. So the next movies are almost certainly going to have to take place further in the future. Unless they went with the Zahn books as their basis.

Samirah M. Johnstone

SW:EU

From what I've read, Lucas will be available for creative consulting, so he's simply taking a step back and letting others do the heavy lifting.

Additionally, more details have come out regarding the next three movies. They won't be following the Extended Universe, and won't be making any movies from the stories already told.

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

i am with robot chicken

Raff01's picture

I feel the next movie should tell of how this was all a plot by the dark Lord Jar Jar. He controlled everyone with no one knowing

Cautious welcome

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I know some critics cite the John Carter movie as a reason why Disney can't do sci-fi but as a kid I remember that period in the late 70's / early 80's when Disney did produce some good sci-fi. I loved the original Tron (liked the sequel too), Flight of the Navigator is still wonderfully enjoyable and even though Black Hole is a great movie if you don't watch anything after they go through the hole. Heck, I'd take Unidentified Flying Oddball over Phantom Menace.

George Lucas is a great ideas man and there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the premise of the first 3 movies that a decent screen play couldn't have solved. To that end, I can't help but think this deal could be a good thing. The idea of a star wars movie screen play by someone like Joss Whedon based on an outline from George Lucas sounds pretty great. It also occurs to me that by selling out to Disney there is nothing to stop the possibility that maybe Disney could give us a blu-ray of the original movies rather than George's directors cuts... I'm actually feeling pretty hopeful. :-)

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Agreed but...

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Agreed, I share your hopeful optimism but... Star Wars is not Science Fiction, it's a fantasy set in a science fiction world.

Have delightfully devious day,

Traditionally, the sub-genre

Traditionally, the sub-genre of Space Opera ( with it's Galactic Empires, space princesses and stout interstellar heroes ) has been a long time staple of Science Fiction - at least since the 30's and 40's.

Sometimes it transcended it's pulp roots when folks like Frank Herbert turned out classics like Dune - but Stars Wars fits quite well here - IMO. Still,for years I thought the exact same thing as D.A. W about the Lucas franchise - but ultimately decided that given the wide scope of what is or isn't Science Fiction - it could be.

Oh, and for East Coast folks looking for something to do this weekend,from Friday Nov 9 through Sunday Nov 11, there's Philcon 2012 (A Philadelphia Science Fiction Con being held in Cherry Hill, New Jersey )

http://2012.philcon.org/

A lot of panels, parties and just good times to be had.

Wayzim

Warning troll comment!

Will they re-release the Holiday Special.

Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

They need to get more

Raff01's picture

They need to get more muppetts seasons out so they can release the one with Mark Hammill