great comic book heroes that wont ever be movies

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Some characters work real well in the funny books, but I cant see them ever being made into movies, and they include:

Shazam - The whole "Captain Marvel" thing probably means he'll never go to the big screen. Not to mention he has some of the same problems that Superman has in terms of being so powerful that audiences cant really connect with him.

Blue Devil - I loved the humor in the book, but again naming issues come up (there is a college that uses "Blue Devils" as its team names, and I'm sure they would have an issue with the use of the name).

Ambush Bug - I love the complete silliness of the comic, but there have been attempts at a superhero parody before, and most fall flat.

Green Arrow. - Personally, I like him. A hard-core lib who's not afraid to stand up for that belief. But half the country would be alienated. And he lacks both star power or a major villain to bring in the box office.

Alpha Fight - I'm a Canadian, so would love to see Canada's superheroes get the big screen treatment, but let's face it, America is where the money still is, and there just wouldnt be enough interest in heroes from some other country.

Dr. Doom - Forget the good guys for once, make a movie about a villain! But I cant see it working. The treatment he got in the two FF movies show how hard it is to make him work on the big screen.

The Flash - There was a short-lived TV show about him, but it showed how hard it is to do something with him in terms of costume, power, and enemies.

JLA - Who wouldnt want to see DC put its big guns in one movie? Well, apparently DC itself wouldnt. And with Batman wrapping up this year, Wonder Woman lost in production hell, and Superman suffering from serious delays as well there just doesnt seem to be a big push to get them all together.

JLA

Green Arrow is about to get his own TV series, and I enjoyed the Flash. Mark Hamil has made a rep with his voicing the Joker, but I loved him as the Trickster. Wonder Woman is being written by the same fellow who gave us Green Lantern. I'm not hopeful.

Shazam came up, but despite protests that the movie isn't dead, I think it is. It would be difficult to do right. Like the Avengers, it would take just the right director.

hugs
Grover

When the Avengers was first

Raff01's picture

When the Avengers was first talked about a few years back, there was a rumor of a JLA movie, but then things happened and the movie just went on hold. I will agree the last Superman movie blew major chunks. The Batmen movies are okay, but I didn't like how the Joker was portrayed in the last one. He seemed too into proving a lesson and not random which he always seemed to be in the comic books.

Havn't watched Green Lantern, heard about it and stayed away. Keep thinking I need to do a night where I play the worst of super hero movies, like Daredevil with Ban Aflek and some of the ones you can only find online, like the failed made for TV JLA idea from a few years back.

Arrow

I've kinda seen the ads on TV, but I thought it was for a movie. TV show I might actually catch!

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

What about the Flaming

What about the Flaming Carrot? Or Shade the Changing Man?

I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I thought Jackie Chan already

I thought Jackie Chan already did an adaptation of that?

I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

And not as just a quick one

Raff01's picture

And not as just a quick one second cameo. I mean what's the Big Red Cheese without Marvel Jr and Mary Marvel.

Let's also not forget that out of all the heroes, in a straight up fight with Superman, Captain Marvel has the best chance, what with Superman's weakness to magic.

Shazam

Captain Marvel I can remember being on the small screen every Saturday morning. It was fairly corny but then, again it was meant for youngsters.

yep

I am the oldest of 4 and we were a one tv family back then. And for you youngsters, it was not cable so my younger sisters got to hog the tv on saturday mornings. Good thing I had my books and CB radio.

Does anyone recall a short

Raff01's picture

Does anyone recall a short lived show called Birds of Prey? Based on the comic book, but in a world where Helena Kyle, aka the Huntress, was the child of Batman and Catwoman. Was a decent show but only lasted for about 13 episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_Prey_(TV_series)

I do recall the Flash tv show, I watched that show every week and yes, Mark Hamill was my Favorite guest villain. I saw the ad for the Green Arrow, but we don't have cable at the house and I am ok with that.

Birds of Prey...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I actually read about this over the weekend. Oracle was Barbara Gordon post-Batgirl and she was a parapalegic as well. It also included Black Canary as well. The show didn't last long at all, but it was good enough that it likely would succeed today, from my point of view. I identified with Oracle

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I found it

Raff01's picture

by chance on Itunes, then went to the local mall and found it on sale so I bought it. Awesome show, for having been canceled, but then it wasn't over hyped. Kinda the same deal with the Dresden files TV show. I liked the 12 episodes of that, but being up against bigger shows on major networks killed it.

Actually Desden was killed-

by a vastly more powerful enemy, The advertisers. Dresden got great ratings, but they were in the wrong age category. The mostly older viewers wasn't the target audience for their products. They dropped funding and so the show simply stopped being made since they couldn't cancel it because of the usual reasons.

Notice SYFY fixed that problem by (with a few exceptions) showing programs no one with two brain cell would bother watching. :)

Hugs
Grover

On DVD

Enemyoffun's picture

If you're lucky the DVD of the complete series might be still available to buy at your local Walmart. I know I saw it there at mine only a few months ago, it was pretty cheap too, under $20 I think.

I have it, but I like going

Raff01's picture

I have it, but I like going to the mall stores and looking over all the stuff and finding things like the Greatest American Hero, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Incredible Hulk, The A-team and other great shows from my childhood.

now if I could just get the Batman tv show from the 1960's, my life would be complete

I remember...

It was on my favourite and much missed Cable channel, CNX, really good show with some originality and hot babes - how the heck could it be cancelled? Oh yeah, the studios hate catering to smart people.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The Batman movies aside DC's live action has really Blown.

Smallville and Birds of Prey were the exceptions but still on the big iffy edge. They should stick to their animated movies where the really kick butt. I'll watch their stuff over Marvel any day. Okay spiderman's been decent recently animated but still...

Spidey vs Gobby?
Or
Supes vs Darksied?

Yeah, Supe's speech about finally cutting loose was just...

Bailey Summers

Mantra

erin's picture

Probably not going to be a movie soon about Marvel's transgender super heroine. She started as part of Malibu's Ultraverse which was absorbed by Marvel but lasted only 7 weak issues with a revamped character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantra_(comics)

http://web.archive.org/web/20091027005250/http://geocities.c...

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

That's a good one Erin!

I never knew about that one until too late. It wasn't until I stumble across some fanfic at FM that learned about her. Good Stuff.
hugs
Grover

Shazam was on the big screen

In the early '40s there was a weekly serial, typical of the time, which was shown as part of the Saturday movies that all the kids went to. It was before my time, but I bought a VHS tape set of it some time ago. It had all the Billy saying the magic word, etc. The special effects of Captain Marvel flying were surprisingly advanced and effective. I think they hung the actor in a harness on a long wire that he slid down. Way, way better than the TV series from years later.

Suzij

I suppose it's even less

I suppose it's even less likely that the comic heroes of my youth in the UK will ever see the big screen.

My favourite was Wilson who was always dressed in a baggy black track suit and was a super athlete who mysteriously appeared and won events in all disciplines. He was over 100 years old and his longevity was down to his very low pulse rate :) The stories were mostly in text with just one or two illustrations.

The there was Alf Tupper another athlete but he was very poor and trained on a diet of fish and chips and lived under a railway arch.

Perhaps spacemen Dan Dare from the Eagle comic stands a slightly better chance.

Any Britons here old enough to remember them?

Robi

Me!

And the wolf of Kabul, with clicky ba', amd all the others from The Wizard. Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track...

Not quite...

I do remember Dan Dare from the 200AD comic, there are other heroes of course - The Spider, Robot Archie, The Buytonic Boy and of course, The Leopard of Lime Street... ah, Happy times :)

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The Flash

Enemyoffun's picture

There has been some talk for a while now about doing a Flash movie actually. Sadly they want to make it darker in tone, sorta like Nolan's Batman series which I loved of course but which is definitely not suited for the Flash.

There was also some talk about a darker Green Arrow in a movie but I think that got shelved in favor of the new TV series coming in the Fall.

TG comics

located in the link bar has a few short bits about Heroic Comics which is a spin off the old Champions Game. One character is name G-Girl with suggestions she wasn't always a she. The issue is due to come out soon so they are teasing. :) Note this based on the old the old pen and paper game and not the newer computer game. It was always a little corny like the 60's and 70's stuff were, but still not too bad.

hugs
Grover

PS: I like some of the before and after art featured this month too. It's not work safe, but tasteful in my opinion.