Suicide and Suicidal Ideations

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Suicide and Suicidal Ideations

Suicide, the threat of suicide and suicidal depression are chronic problems among transgendered folk and other sexual minorities. Suicide is about emotional pain. Emotional pain can be managed and relieved with skilled assistance. Anyone who has persistent or recurrent thoughts of suicide needs to know that their lives are valuable, that there are people who care about them, and that there are people who can help, are trained to give timely assistance, and have resources on call.

If you, or someone you know, is in immediate danger because of thoughts of suicide, please call 911, the US National Emergency Number now. You will be helped, but you have to call.

If you're not in the USA, you can call your local emergency number, or one of the short selection below.

In the USA, There are two national hotlines, plus every state and many communities have local hotlines as well. A call to directory assistance or the local emergency number will put one into contact with effective help very quickly if a number isn't readily available.

The following numbers are available seven days a week and twenty-four hours a day in the USA.

Suicide.org - Suicide Prevention, Awareness, and Support
http://www.suicide.org/
1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-784-2433

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
1-800-273-TALK
1-800-273-8255

Deaf TTY Hotline:
1-800-799-4TTY
1-800-799-4889

In the UK and the Republic of Ireland

Samaritans: http://www.samaritans.org/

UK: 08457 90 90 90
ROI: 1850 60 90 90

In Australia: http://www.lifeline.org.au/
Telephone: 13 11 14

In New Zealand: http://www.lifeline.org.nz/
Telephone: 0800 111 777 (Christchurch)
Telephone: 0800 543 354 (National)

All Other Countries

Befrienders Worldwide http://www.befrienders.org/

They offer an extensive list of national and local helplines by country.

For everyone, even if you can foresee no possible need for one of these numbers on your own, it might be thoughtful to enter one of the local numbers on your cellphone, or write one down on a scrap of paper in your billfold or wallet. Life is long -- or should be -- and you may stumble upon someone who needs it.

Thanks for posting this...

Andrea Lena's picture

...an excellent if sadly necessary resource for this community. It's helpful to know to whom to turn to. Thank you.

Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

lifeline

kristina l s's picture

Having had occasion to utilise the services of Lifeline here in Sydney several times over the years (though only once in a somewhat 'desperate' sense) I have the utmost respect for them and the services they provide. A little cottage in Gordon on Sydneys Nth shore or the Op shop in Asquith closest for me. I would urge anyone that can to donate, in my case books, furniture and clothing, money if you're able. I'm sure the equivalent groups in different countries do much the same wonderful job. They need help so they can help and that they do wonderfully.

Kristina

Erin, could you add this

Erin, could you add this to the header or make is a sticky thread or something? I feel it is a valuable enough resource that it might not hurt to have it in an easily accessible place?
Maybe reformat it to a brief list of important resources?
Also point to it if someone typed HELP into the search box?

A very good point.

WebDeb's picture

Well pointed out Puddintane.
I myself was desperate for any contact in my youth, especialy at this time of year, unforunately for myself there was nowhere available.
I did make one phone call to the Samaratins (the first time ever I confessed my transgendrism) I poured my heart out and told the poor Samaratin about my tg condition. It soon became obvious that the Samaratin was not equipped to deal with my dilemma judging by the long silence down the phone.
I promptly hung up and cursed myself for being too honest.
I do hark back to the early 90's and I'm sure things have improved since then.

I myself after three suicide attempts (1)slashing my wrists (2)Jumping off my balcony,from the fourth floor, result as I learned later, fractured hip. (3)Jumping off my balcony again! You would think I would have learned by now!
The good news is I have learned through experince. I am comfortable in my own skin and as content as I can be even though that yearning is always burning inside me every second of my waking day I have learned how to control it.

I plead to any one in pain at this time of year or any other time for that matter
REACH OUT for a word of encouragement.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

With love and good wishes DebWeb.

>> I promptly hung up and cursed myself for being too honest.

Puddintane's picture

It may have been more to the point to write to the organisation and tell them that one of their staff was grossly unprofessional and unsupportive, in direct contravention of their stated policies, specifically non-judgmental help with "body image issues." As a charitable organisation, they have responsibilities to the public who give them special financial considerations and donations, and I suspect it would have been a learning experience for them.

Cheers,

Puddin'

Don't get mad, get even.

Fuck'em If They Can't Take a Joke by 30KB (30000 Bastards) on LastFM

Several of their songs are available for free listening on LastFM.

Great group. I highly recommend keeping this little ditty on your cellphone as a motivational tool.

You can buy their album here: 30KB on Amazon.com US$8.99

Or Here: Amazon.co.uk GB£6.99

Or Here: 30KB Website GB£3.50 A bargain...

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Thank you.

I have a real understanding what can make people go this route. While I do not consider myself at risk I do think about it. I've gone ahead and bookmarked this page for future reference.

I especially like the idea of keeping the information handy, say on a blank business card. It could save someones life.