Do NOT Put Extra Spaces Between Words or Symbols in the Title Bar

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

One space is all that will show and sooner or later, if you use multiple spaces, some editor here is going to have to go in and edit all of your title bars to make things fall into correct order in chapterization. Thanks.

Hugs,
Erin

Be consistent in the Title Bar

erin's picture

If you used a semicolon in the previous chapter title, use on in the new one too, not a comma. Again, not doing this makes work for the editors. And it's easy to do, most browsers will fill the box with what you used last time, just backspace and put in the new chapter number.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Two space habit.

Those of us that were taught touch typing in the days when typewriters were still mechanical instruments have it almost hard coded into us to use two spaces following end of sentence punctuation. (At least, that was the convention in North America.) On a web page, it makes no difference in appearance, but old habits die hard, and even though it's been decades since I've used a manual typewriter, I still use two spaces between most sentences I type.

Me too

That was what I was taught in high school as well, even though I graduated fairly recently; well, going on five years ago now. Whenever Edeyn edits my stuff, she always get onto me about it: not only that, but using "tab" to add indentation to the beginning of every paragraph is also apparently against standard internet protocol, so whenever she edits my story text files she always goes through and changes that as well. I dunno, maybe I just had a typing teacher in school who was really old fashioned -- whatever the reason, it seems to cause a world of problems.

Melanie E.

Not what I talked about above

erin's picture

This is not about extra spaces between sentences, it's about extra spaces between words in the title bar. Inconsistent extra spaces between different words in different chapters of the same series. After fixing three of these, one of them was commas instead of semi-colons rather than spaces, I thought it was time to mention it again.

The extra spaces between sentences and the tabs at the beginnings of paragraphs are no problem for two reasons, they are in the body of the story and they are ignored in the conversion to HTML for display. :)

Hugs,
Erin

Spaces in the title bar...

Puddintane's picture

Whatever one thinks about two spaces after full stops, full stops in the title are moderately strange, as are colons before the authour's name.

As we wander through our local bookstore, I dare say we'd be hard-pressed to find a single title that looked like: Exodus. by: Leon Uris

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style