Musician/band stories

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

There are so many really talented writers here and I want to say I appreciate all your hours working on these great stories!

Being a professional musician most of my life, I especially love the stories written around a band, vocalist or musician. There are some excellent ones... anyone up to writing a new one?

By the way, if an author has a question related to bands, musicians, guitars, the music business, etc. I'd be happy to help.

No Half Measures

Watched Some Like It Hot over the weekend. Nothing quite like it. It was banned in several states partially because it promoted transvestism.

If you haven't read No Half Measures by Jenny Walker, you are missing the best musician piece I've read.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

And then there's Spin Cycle

Which uses music as an integral part of the structure of the story, but doesn't feature actual performance until the Deirdre and Jasper sequences towards the end, neither quite posted yet, although Erin may make Deirdre available through the Hatbox. Unfortunately, copyright considerations prevented me from using song lyrics or links, but most are freely available through youtube and other song-sharing sites, although of course one is encouraged to support the artists one quite likes through purchasing their music.

Cheers,

Liobhan
-------
Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,
And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,
By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.
--- William Congreve, The Mourning Bride, 1697

-----------

P.S. Rhapsody and Passing Tones by Jillian Marie are also very interesting in the way they use music, as is Emma by Tanya Allan. Oh! And Zapped! by Bob Arnold.

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Elizabeth Grey And Band Of Sisters

jengrl's picture

"Elizabeth Grey" by Carmenica Diaz is also a good one. It actually has two books that tell the story. "Heart" and "The Lady Is Waiting" One picks up where the other left off. They can be purchased at Lulu.com. "Band Of Sisters" by Julie O is another good one.

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Fantasy and Reality

I agree with Angela that No Half Measures is one of the best TG stories on this theme and for that matter, any theme.

My own contribution to this niche is Blue Moon with songs written by our webmistress, Erin. The suggestion in the comments that the main character might go into singing as a career somehow prompted Erin to write several songs for the story and I actually crafted the rest of the novel around her lyrics. ::grin:: My original intent had included several other possibilities.

But Blue Moon is a fantasy and is aimed at versimilitude not accuracy. Green Sun, if I ever finish it, also has some music background in it; again, a fantasy. NHM is fiction but has more a feel for how much actual work there is in being a rockstar. ::grin::

I know there have been other good stories here and elsewhere with bands and songs in them. Melanie Brown's "I'm with the Band" at Sapphire's is very good but I'm having trouble thinking of the names of authors and stories that relate to this topic.

Who else has a favorite?

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through Doppler Press to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna

One of mine

would be "Transposed Melody" by Julia Manchester. I've got a lot of favorites in this type of story -- I've long though that "music" should have been a tag as well -- but unfortunately most of them have already been mentioned. Blue Moon, No Half Measures, I'm With the Band, Band of Sisters, all are really great stories. The musical element of Zapped,as has been mentioned, is very good too; then again, that story is just good to daydream about in general :P

Let's see... Janet Stickney did a story a while back called "The Barbie Boys" that wasn't that bad... I think she did a couple of others along the same lines as well. God, there's just so many stories out there with music as an integral part.

Of course, I can't go by without mentioning the story I'm working on, "Hollywood!," which should be on it's way as soon as I find someone to help with the music, as in making it.

Melanie E.

singers/bands

I agree with all the stories listed above. They are great stories that you can read over and over again. I also like "A Life in Disaster Redeemed" by Lorraine B.

And then the one I can't remamber the name of but the musician is a great guitarist, leaves the band he was with and joins his sister's band? Is outed and beat up, then as everything is starting to go right is killed when his car goes off the road. I know I'll be trying to remember the name of that story all night long.

Yeah music and TG make good stories.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Changing Keys

I think Changing Keys by Jillian Marie is the story you are referring to. Jillian has several music based stories posted here.

TRy Melanie Brown's I Was Wit The Band

Last two chapters are here. Full story at Sapphire's Place.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Music Stories

I love stories with music in them. I also like very long stories, because there's a chance to get involved with the characters.

JenGrl's suggestion is good. Carmenica Diaz's Elizabeth Grey is one of the best ones. I think you have to pay for it from Lulu.

I liked a lot of Jenny Walker's No Half Measures but it starts by quoting a Phil Collins song, which put me right off.

Rebecca Anderson's Wild Horses is also very long, but it's worth reading, and it's here, for free:
http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/4719/wild-horses-rebec...

Yes, "Wild Horses"

Geoff edited that story. It is one to be read. Right near the top of the list.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Music In Stories

littlerocksilver's picture

I certainly agree with the examples given. 'No Half Measures' is one of the best.

My stories in the seies beginning with 'The Heart of the Beholder', 'The Narragansett Fork', 'Musetta's Waltz', 'Who is Sylvia' and 'Five Love Stories en Brochette' are all written around music. The last story is not quite ready to post. These stories are all part of a continuous saga and music plays a very important part in each. The patriarch is a classical guitar player although he plays in the first book only. There are several classical pianists, violinists, cellists and opera singers throughout the stories. If you haven't read them, be sure to read them in order.

Please read them.

Portia

Portia

Just got back home....

... and so delighted to find all your replies and suggestions. TY!

I actually have already read many of the stories mentioned, and yes I thought they were great too, but also see some I didn't find yet and will definitely look them up and read them. I have been using the search function and searching on "guitar, music, musician, singer, band" etc. lol... and found many good stories this way, some having little to do with music but great stories nonetheless. (I do like stories with other settings too, ;) )

I'll read those stories suggested, the ones I haven't already done. I agree that the ones mentioned, those that I've read, are some of the best. Thanks again.

Good Ones

kristina l s's picture

A lot of good stories mentioned, a couple I didn't know of, so that's nice to find. Another couple... Before My Time, Bob Arnold, not sure where, maybe Crystals or Saphires. One by Ceri here, Candy and the Firestorm, though it's incomplete and has been a while, I hope she's okay. There's probably others too... anyone?

Kristina

A few more to add to the list...

A few stories about bands, or such:

Methinks thou dost protest too much: By Teddie S is about a boy who joins his sister's all girl band when one of the members is injured. It's all temporary, of course(sure it is...)

A new style of education by Karen Page. While it's main focus is about the school, there is a lot of stuff about being part of the orchestra and traveling to play concerts, etc.

Blues for C by Kristina L.S. about a Transgendered musician that finally 'comes out'.