What makes a good story?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

A good TG story, in particular.

Is a good story with TG elements the same thing as a good TG story? Is there some overlap or are they completely identical?

Does a story need a plot? Conflict?

What makes a good ending to a TG story?

Why would anyone write TG stories? Are there different reasons? Do different reasons for writing lead to different definitions of what a story is and what a good story is?

Is it enough to write for one's self or must one keep in mind the task of satisfying critics? How about readers? Are readers and critics the same species? :)

Does hobby writing differ from professional writing in any significant way? Are the standards different? Should they be?

Other thoughts?

- Erin

Some Interesting Questions

Breanna Ramsey's picture

Let me see if I can express my thoughts clearly on each....

**Is a good story with TG elements the same thing as a good TG story? Is there some overlap or are they completely identical?**

I believe there is a difference between the two but it can be almost indistinguishable in many cases. If you take a good story with TG elements and remove those elements, or rather rewrite them so they are not TG, you should still have a good story. They are devices the author uses, but they are not the story.
On the other hand, if you take a good TG story and remove the TG elements, you have no story because they *are* the story.
Incidetally of the two I think it is far harder to write a good TG story than a good story with TG elements.

**Does a story need a plot? Conflict?**

Plot definitely. Conflict...that's a more difficult one to answer. Let me say that I think good TG fiction will naturally include conflict because of its very nature.
Example 1 - A straight up boy believes he should be a girl and goes through the process of becoming one. I'm sure we would all agree this plot is filled with conflict because the protaganist is riddled with internal conflict if nothing else. Add in the inevitable conflict with the world around them and its pretty much a foregone conclusion there will be conflict.
Example 2 - A standard boy turned into girl through accident/evil intent. Again, internal conflict is going to be obvious here, and external as well. Why did this happen to me? Why did you do this to me? The possibilities for conflict here are many.

**What makes a good ending to a TG story?**

I think this will vary according to the overall mood of the story, the basic plot and the characters involved.

**Why would anyone write TG stories? Are there different reasons? Do different reasons for writing lead to different definitions of what a story is and what a good story is?**

On this I can only answer for myself. I write to explore my own fantasies in a way I can't in real life. This is the only way I have found to be who I really want to be. Through places like this, I have finally been able to really look into a part of myself that I denied for many years. I have only come recently to the TG fiction sites, about a year now I guess, and finding them was a truly amazing experience. Then I got the added bonus of finding that there are people out there who can really tell wonderful, moving stories.
I am sure there are many different reasons why people write TG or any other kind of stories, and yes I am sure that those reasons color what they view as a good story.

**Is it enough to write for one's self or must one keep in mind the task of satisfying critics? How about readers? Are readers and critics the same species?**

This all depends...if a writer truly only writes for him or herself, why even post the story? If you take the time, and the chance, to place that work before others then I believe you must keep that in mind when writing...HOWEVER...you can never truly satisfy a "critic" so I don't even try. Readers, now readers are different. While it is true that all critics are by neccessity readers, not all readers are critics. The critic will tell you what is wrong and what they did not like...the reader will tell you what they enjoyed and how you could make it better...because they really want you to write good stories for them. (To all those who have commented on my writing...you guys are ALL readers and you rock! Thanks :)

**Does hobby writing differ from professional writing in any significant way? Are the standards different? Should they be?**

I say no and no...with conditions. Just because it is a hobby doesn't mean someone won't put just as much time into it as a 'professional' would, and it matters not what the hobby is. I know a man who does woodworking as a 'hobby' and he makes some of the most incredible furniture. You would pay hundreds of dollars for pieces like he makes in a store, but he gives them away for the cost of materials because it's his 'hobby'. A lot of writers here and at other TG sites have just as much talent as some very famous novelists, yet they are giving their work away. Should the standards be different...some. I know I am willing to overlook a lot when reading a story online that would bother me very much if it were in a published book that I had paid for.

As a final thought, I believe the basis of a good story, any kind of story, is change. The author puts a character into a situation that challenges who and what they are. The reader watches as the hero/protagonist encounters obstacles and overcomes them...or trips over them. In the end, they are not quite the same as when the story began, and this change could be for the good or bad. Change is a part of life, and I really, truly believe that TG fiction ... good, moving TG fiction, illustrates this basic story concept by its very nature.

Scott

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Readers and critics

Scott said: "HOWEVER...you can never truly satisfy a "critic" so I don't even try. Readers, now readers are different. While it is true that all critics are by neccessity readers, not all readers are critics. The critic will tell you what is wrong and what they did not like...the reader will tell you what they enjoyed and how you could make it better...because they really want you to write good stories for them."

I think it's erroneous to label all critics as detractors or as totally negative. I like to think of myself as a "critical reader" -- one who takes enough time reading a story to do some analysis, make comparisons with other stories or authors, and also try to balance the positive and negative features of the story.

Here in the Top Shelf community, I see very few of Scott's type of critics. There are a good number of "critical readers" here though. I'd include Aardvark, Jezzi, Angela Rasch, Itinerant, and Scott himself in this number. (I know I must be leaving out some, not intentionally.) These are people who try to give a balanced view of what they read and who try to offer constructive criticism along with their compliments.

Then there are the "just plain readers" and the "fans" -- often indistinguishable. Their comments are almost always completely positive, encouraging, and frequently requesting more of the same. While providing some ego support, they offer nothing to help the author improve their writing quality or storytelling skill.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Amelia

"Reading rots the mind." - Uncle Analdas

"Reading rots the mind." - Uncle Analdas

You are quite right Amelia

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I was being far too 'critical' in my words on critics, and so fell into my on trap as it were. Now that I read back over what I typed it sounds more harsh than what I intended and I do sincerely appologize.

The commentors here at Top Shelf are exceptional and I have benefitted greatly from their words on my few postings.

Your two cents will always be welcome with me.

Scott
"Trying to come up with a suitable tag line."

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Just a shot

I'd like to take a shot at these questions though I don't consider my self a writer (even an amateur). I am, however, a reader and often try criticism.

My answer to the first question would be a good story is one that brings pleasure, but if I said that I'd be accused of only wanting fairy tales and stories of sweetness and light. And that isn't true, I also get pleasure (at times) from reading of the suffering and distress of others. No this isn't an S/M thing but an enjoyment of drama which depends (often) on those elements. Therefore, I'll define the yard stick as the amount of distraction and thought it provokes.

Harold Bloom says that we read because we can't know enough people. Reading that was, for me, a "Duh" moment; so obvious, I couldn't believe I'd never thought it myself. I also judge fiction by the characters, and here again I want to meet villeins as well as saints; Iago, Capt. Hook and Hanibal Lector are wonderful to know though the window of the page (but not in my neighborhood!)These measures I believe apply equally to TG fiction as to any other.

On the idea of plot I may be more controversial. I Don't think it is necessary. If a horse stopping by a snow filled woods can be a poem, why isn't a boy's thoughts on looking into his mother's closet a story? Even if he never touches them? (Would it be better if I said 'work of fiction' rather than 'story') But this may be a semantic breakdown too. I am using plot to mean Event> conflict> struggle> (setback, progress, maybe suspense)> solution/resolution> closure. If it means: ground situation> dramatic vehicle> expression or change in the character, then plot is essential. (all TG situations seem to equal dramatic vehicles to me)

Third, remember that a critic is someone that gives critiques, not one who criticizes. A person person who reads to find fault isn't a critic but a creep. (That doesn't mean that faults will never be found) All art has to be judged by it's on rules and those rules are founded on the ambitions of the artist and that includes the reasons behind the creation. I don't judge Elmore Leonard with the same tools as i do Steinbeck (an example suggested by Scott's other recent post), their aims are totally different. And I don't judge a posted short story with the rigor I would a printed book (even a new best seller) But, the number stories I have seen by the author, or the height of the evident ambition I perceive will effect how I judge; but not my enjoyment. However, I often enjoy just seeing people try!

I believe we create our stories for our selves but we writ them (the work part0 for others so of course we want to have an appreciative audience, but that doesn't mean our audience must be the world or even every visitor to the site.

Just some thoughts.

Jan

Critique

kristina l s's picture
To comment or not to comment. Many I'm sure ponder that one. I have attempted a few writings. To what success is not for me to judge. If someone wants to say, Crap!. Ok. It may hurt a little but I'll survive. This site particularly is very supportive and even if I or others don't get unanimous acclaim we seldom get abused either. Many, some commenting above, have greater skill, reputation or both than I so may well have more right to speak. Writing comes from who you are and where you've been. Criticism is welcome by most I'm sure. But personal abuse is not. A good story is a good story. The theme here is to degree set. But within the limitations are a multitude of possibilities. Glass half full or half empty. Just a difference of degree or viewpoint. Happy or sad. Ambivalent? Ten people will view the same event. Depending on angle, sight, sound, colour, smell etc Each will describe a similar but different event. Human beings. Ya gotta love em. Long may it be so.

Definitions and explorations

Is a good story with TG elements the same thing as a good TG story?
Is there some overlap or are they completely identical?

I feel that if you write a gritty police procedural and add magic to the mix, that story becomes a fantasy. Similarly, if a scientific device, discovery, or development plays an important role in a work of fiction, it becomes science fiction -- even if that work is set in the Old West, or Victorian London.

Consequently, if you add TG elements to any tale, I believe you wind up with a TG story. Some will focus more on the TG elements, some less. But just for the basis of definition, I think this works.

As for whether a story is a good TG story -- well, that depends on the skill of the writer as much as what the reader likes. For example, forced feminization and identity death are not my cup of tea. To others here, that's entertainment. Aficionados of the genre are as varied as the population, which makes "good" at least partially subjective. That being said, I have read very well written stories here that prominently feature the very elements I don't like in TG stories. The skill of the writer makes me read on ... makes me care about the characters and their fate. That kind of skill makes a good story.

Absolutely, even if the conflict is purely internal. The plot is what happens to the people involved on the way to resolving the conflict -- even if it's only a single individual.

I agree with Scott to a certain extent-- it depends on the story, but it also depends on the subjective evaluation of the reader. Some people embrace defeat of the protagonist and his/her eventual subjugation. Others want to see characters overcome challenges and emerge victorious.

That's all this girl has for now -- and before breakfast, too. *grins* I'll come back to the other questions later.

GREAT topic! *hugs*

Randalynn

"Don't live your life by making excuses. You're the only one
who decides how you live." -- Mugen, Samurai Champloo

Many Good Remarks

In Stephen King's wonderful book "On Writing" he discloses that he writes with a particular reader in mind -- his wife. He decsribes in detail how she will not comment until she's read the whole thing, while he sits anxiously waiting.

When we write a TG story without focusing on a particular reader we get lost in the jumble of the above varied opinions.

I believe the answers to most of Erin's questions are really one -- It all depends on the reader.

When I wrote my first piece (Friends Four Life) my intended reader was my spouse. After recieving comments from many people, including a very nice one from Cathy_T and considerable support from Erin, I expanded my audience to "the average reader on FM, Big Closet, and Storysite." Subsequently my writng became much less focused and not as good.

After a bit Geoff came along and became my "reader." Seeking to meet his standards caused me to tell a better story. Jenny Walker currently serves this role for me.

Imagine knowing that you have to tell a campfire story to your nephews and neices in a few hours. You want it to be interesting and concise with charming characters, plot, conflict, and drama. Your nephews and neices range in age from two to thirty-five. Some have children. Some graduated from college with honors. As you try to write the story you realize it will be extremely hard to reach all of them and become confused in your approach. You make a decision to aim your story at Amy, that lovely five-year old. Once you've settled on an audience the story comes quickly.

Will the other nephews and neices enjoy the story, more than likely. Especially if they see how much Amy loves it.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Difficult question

Jenny Walker's picture

Lots of food for thought here. I think the hardest question pertains to the differences between a story with TG elements and a TG story. I do think there is a difference, but of course it is more of a spectrum.

Most of what we read on these sites are TG stories. Were we to find a book, TV show, film that had a TG bit to it, I think that would fall into the first character.

What I wonder is, does the average reader (although I accept there is no such thing) on here only want full blown TG stories, or will we appreciate the carefully crafted story that has plot, drama, and characterisation, but in which the TG element is not as overstated - i.e. it is there, but not necessarily the be all and end all.

I have a vested interest in pondering this as the story I am currently writing is taking a somewhat different direction from my previous ones. I'm writing a story which has a TG element/theme - but it is more understated than before. I am almost trying to write as if it might be read by a mainstream audience, while accepting that it most likely won't be. My fear is that in trying to produce a work that might almost be mainstream accepted, I will exclude the very readers (ie TG fiction fans) who I would expect to embrace it.

I guess, time alone will tell.

Jill - I'm honoured and a little overawed at being your reader. But of course I look forward to what your fertile mind produces.

Jenny

Giggle, giggle.

Neat questions Erin!

Anyway, there are really two important elements that make a story a story. They are the communication between the author and the reader. The author and the reader being the two elements. The other is the story itself which bind them both together. I guess that is really three elements...giggle, giggle.

One author and many readers make the binding element a very fluid one. The readers desires from the author differ for each reader.

There is no simple answer to your questions. I think the most popular ending is the one that allows for the story to continue or not. It can end there, or it can continue on by fanfic or another linked story.

Still, some readers dislike that type of ending. True, a minority of them, but still they consist of many in number.

I say, write your story Erin and post it. We shall read what we shall read and i know some will leave a comment or two! Giggle, giggle.

Huggles Sis
Angel

Be yourself, so easy to say, so hard to live.

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

What makes a good TG story

All of these questions are very subjective, so naturally there is no one "correct" answer, but to add stick my neck out:

Is a good story with TG elements the same thing as a good TG story? Is there some overlap or are they completely identical?

It's a matter of emphasis and taste. Could a story be written essentially the same way without its TG elements, say a guy becomes a girl who acts like a girl at all times and never realizes she used to be a he? If so, then I'd say it is a story with TG elements. If, on the other hand, the main character's thoughts, reactions, and so forth are affected by who (s)he used to be, then I'd say the TG element is still alive and well.

Unless it's a short story, where anything goes, every story needs a plot and conflict to make it interesting. Naturally, plots come in a variety, from the more active adventure, the chase, revenge, and so on, to the more internally-focused romance, tranformation, and metamorphasis. Conflict can come in active and internal versions as well.

There is a storytype almost unique to TG fiction: the fantasy, a sort of TG scene or vignette where the author as main character fulfills his personal wish, but my fantasies tend to come surrounded by a plot and filled with conflict.

Anything that satisfies a reader. I like the good overcomes evil thing, a heroine triumphs against the odds, a decent romantic ending, personal vindication ... the usual. I don't like endings where there is endless torture; wimpy men turn into wimpy women; men become she-males, describing same as the "best of both worlds"; personality death; bimboization; degredation done in the name of "love"; and where evil triumphs - especially when good never had a chance - but that's just me.

Why would anyone write TG stories?

Many reasons. I like to explore male-female differences, relationships, points of view, and customs, so I lean towards that direction. Personally, I like to drop a man into a female somehow, and watch her squirm through a few hoops while discovering herself.

Are there different reasons? Do different reasons for writing lead to different definitions of what a story is and what a good story is?

Yes. Yes. :)

Is it enough to write for one's self or must one keep in mind the task of satisfying critics? How about readers? Are readers and critics the same species? :)

This is a hobby for most of us. I write to create stories I'd like to read while hopefully making people happy reading them, and to get better each time out in that order. A critic is a subspecies of reader that writes down what he or she likes or dislikes about your offering. Critics are to be honored, for without feedback, most of the authors wouldn't write, and critical, helpful feedback is treasured.

Does hobby writing differ from professional writing in any significant way? Are the standards different? Should they be?

Money and market. Yes, readers don't expect perfection or great writing; although, they know and apprectiate it when they read it. There is no reason why anyone shouldn't try to do their best, whatever that is. There are very few pros out there, but good writing is much more a skill than a talent; some "amateurs" have produced excellent writing, and some "pros" write garbage.

Other thoughts?

I like what Angela wrote about writing to a particular person. There are grammatical rules to follow, general writing guidelines (that vary annoyingly), and many effective writing styles. Pick out what "fits" you best and get confortable with it. TG or otherwise, the bottom line is effective, natural communication.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

What makes a good story?

There are entire books in answer to that.

My two cents' worth:

Well constructed and executed theme, plot, characters, flow, and structure. Note that the issue of "a good story" is different than that of "an appealing story". The latter is far more subjective and personal, and a story may be either or both.

> A good TG story, in particular.

First, a good story. Second (but still very important), a well done focus on the TG elements.

> Is a good story with TG elements the same thing as a good TG story?

No. A story with TG elements may not be a TG story at all, much less a good one. Switching slightly (to make the point), any number of stories, television shows, movies, plays, etc. have included scenes with crossdressing (usually men/boys en femme). Does that make them TV stories/shows/movies/etc.? IMO, no. OTOH, shows like "Bosom Buddies", movies like "Just One of the Guys", "Sorority Boys", and "She's the Man", and even plays like "Charlie's Aunt" fall into more of a gray area. They are CD productions without really being TV ones (the crossdressing is situational, rather than a response to an internal need or desire).

A crime drama in which the murder victim and/or one or more of the witnesses may be TG does not make it a TG show. It is a crime drama with TG elements. There have been a few in recent years.

> Is there some overlap or are they completely identical?

"A good TG story" is a subset of "a good story with TG elements", but the latter is a much broader category.

> Does a story need a plot?

Absolutely. Without one, it is a vignette, a description, or something else. To be a "story", it must have a plot.

> Conflict?

Not necessarily. Here is where I disagree with some of the other correspondents. A good story does need to move and build, and conflict is the easiest and (often) most effective way to accomplish it. But it is possible to use other approaches and create a story - even a good story. There have been a number of good stories that have done without conflict.

But it is much more difficult to create a good story without it.

> What makes a good ending to a TG story?

That depends on the subgenre, the audience, and elements of the story itself. It can be happy or tragic, predictable or surprising, conclusive or open to sequels, etc. But it must (to be good) be consistent with the story.

Readers (and writers) here have expressed different tastes in that regard, and that is part of the point.

> Why would anyone write TG stories? Are there different reasons?

There are many different reasons. Personal fantasies/kinks, personal nightmares/traumas/fears, plots which will only work with TG, familiarity with a related subgenre, and others. Fundamentally, there are two reasons to write a story: personal need (or strong desire) to express, and a need for recognition (not necessarily approval) by others. The third reason some mention - "for the money" - is almost always combined with one of the other two.

> Do different reasons for writing lead to different definitions of
> what a story is and what a good story is?

Not necessarily. But they very often lead to different definitions of a "desirable" or "enjoyable" story. So "good story" in the sense of "I like it" is affected.

> Is it enough to write for one's self or must one keep in mind the
> task of satisfying critics?

It depends on why you're writing. Most of us need, at the very least, to satisfy our "inner critic" to some extent.

> How about readers?

To the extent of keeping you honest on the "technicals" (spelling, grammar, structure, consistency), it is very important - as with critics. The rest depends on your reason for writing.

> Are readers and critics the same species? :)

Critics are a subspecies of readers.

> Does hobby writing differ from professional writing in any
> significant way?

Yes.

> Are the standards different?

Yes.

> Should they be?

Yes. Professional writing is explicitly answerable to an external authority (publisher, employer, etc.), and is often shaped (in part) by external factors because of that. In the end, hobby writing is only answerable to the author and the readers, although "publishers" (website owners, etc.) may have some input. Both are as they should be.

> Other thoughts?

The other commenters here have all made good points! I disagree with some of them, but hey, some of them disagree with each other, too. (;

DrBill

Loudly, From a Broken Soapbox

(Ten points to the first reader who can place the literary reference for my title.)

* A good TG story, in particular.

* Is a good story with TG elements the same thing as a good TG story? Is there some overlap or are they completely identical?

So here is my take on Erin's questions. Please note that I have been accused of being a neo-Campbellian in other forums, and much of my opinion is influenced by Campbell's ideas in science fiction.

A good story can indeed posess TG elements. Many SF writers have incorporated them, but TG is not limited to SF. Consider, for instance, Mark Twain's immortal "Huckleberry Finn." Do you recall the chapter where Huck stole a dress from a clothesline and attempted (crudely) to pass himself off as a girl? Shakespeare abounds with characters impersonating the other sex. (My favorite is the opening from "The Taming of the Shrew.") But does this necessarily imply a TG story?

Perhaps the time has come to define the elements of a TG story, and to seperate the truly TG from the story with TG elements.

First off, in a TG story, there is a transformation, either actual or by means of disguise, from one sex into the other. The most common would be Male-To-Female transformation, although there have been a few Female-To-Male stories as well.

Secondly, the story must depend upon the transformation. It must be an integral part of the story. Without the transformation, there would be no story.

Third, the story must be a good story. It must contain all of the elements of good fiction, engage the reader, and give the reader a good reason to keep reading.

* Does a story need a plot? Conflict?

Absolutely! Conflict is an integral part of fiction. It may be internal or external, and need not be violent, but there needs to be an exchange of ideas. Plot? Of course! Why read a story if it has no plot?

* What makes a good ending to a TG story?

It has to work for the story. Harlan Ellison once said that in order to be effective endings should be inconclusive. For myself, there needs to be a resolution of the conflict presented, even though it may be temporary. The conclusion may also lead to new conflict, just like real life. In a comedy, the ending should leave the reader happy. A tragedy or drama, however, should leave the reader thinking.

* Why would anyone write TG stories? Are there different reasons? Do different reasons for writing lead to different definitions of what a story is and what a good story is?

Oh, my, yes! I started writing TG fiction because I was, quite frankly, disgusted with the state of it. There were a few very good and very thoughtful works, but the overwhelming majority was just thinly disguised pornography, and not very good pornography at that.

Now I am by no stretch of the imagination a prude. No fan of Heinlein could ever be prudish. But if the whole point of the story is to reinforce all of the negative stereotypes the public has about transgenders and finally devolve into submissive sexual encounters, then it is not a TG story; it is pornography with TG elements.

We need some positive stories, not a lot of TG Amos-n-Andy trash.

* Is it enough to write for one's self or must one keep in mind the task of satisfying critics? How about readers? Are readers and critics the same species? :)

Readers come in all sizes, shapes, and opinions. One girl's classic is another girl's trash. Opinions make horse races possible.

I like to satisfy my readers, but I am aware that not every reader has the same taste. For instance, much of my writing has elements of science fiction. Not everybody is a SF fan.

On the subject of critics, I am of several minds. I do not object to honest criticism, especially if I can use it to improve my art. But I have no respect for those who just say "Hey, your story sucks!" but will not give any reason as to why they feel it sucks. Some of my biggest fans are also my harshest critics.

* Does hobby writing differ from professional writing in any significant way? Are the standards different? Should they be?

How many professional TG writers are there? Not many. Some of us may have sold a story or two, and some are self-published, but I doubt that many of us make our living at it. So I am a hobby writer. But I do aspire to enter the realm of professional author, if for nothing else than bragging rights. Therefore, I would say that hobby writing should be held to the same standards one should expect of a professional.

* Other thoughts?

Yes. Have you ever noticed that mice have no shoulders?

What makes a good story

Gosh, the answer to that is soooo simple.

Me.

:D

Yes, the weird author with the boob fetish.

Yes, the weird author with the boob fetish.

Writing TG Stories

I'd say there is a difference, but there's overlap too. There are some stories that have tg elements and those elements may move the plot, but, to varying degrees, the story may not be focused just on those elements.

Defintely on both counts. Without a plot, a story can become confusing; without conflict, it can become boring.

This isn't a hard and fast rule, but I've found when there are no more conflicts to resolve, you're probably at least close to the end of your story.

Why would anyone write TG stories?

For me, it's basicly to explore "what if" questions, such as:
- What if I had the nerve to tell people I really was a girl?
- What if people were more accepting of my being transgendered?
- What if there were some way to have a body to match my soul?

Do different reasons for writing lead to different definitions of what a story is and what a good story is?

I think the different reasons we have for reading are more likely to affect our definitions of what makes a good story.

Is it enough to write for one's self or must one keep in mind the task of satisfying critics? How about readers? Are readers and critics the same species?

One of the reasons I started writing was because there didn't seem to be enough of the kinds of stories I was looking for. Instead of complaining about it, I decided to try doing something about it. This means that when I write, I write for both myself and for anyone else who likes the same kinds of stories I like.

Do I write for critics? Well, I do try to keep thier thoughts and advice in mind when I'm writing, but I don't usually start writing a story to satisfy a critic. I write because I like telling stories and it's fun entertaining other people.

I guess I could say I write for my readers. If it weren't for the encouragement of people who read my stories to continue, Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure would have probably stopped around chapter three.

As far as I understand it, a critic is a reader who critiques your work. How could someone critique another person's writing without reading it first?

I'd guess the biggest difference is money. If I were paid on a regular basis for writing, I'd consider myself a professional writer. I believe there are different expectations between pro and hobby writers. People usually expect a bit more polish when they're paying for something. While I think this difference is okay, I don't think being an amateur would be a good excuse for poor work.

Other thoughts?

Umm . . . if any number multiplied by zero is zero and if any number multiplied by infinity is infinity, what is infinity multiplied by zero?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Unexpected answer

erin's picture

". . . if any number multiplied by zero is zero and if any number multiplied by infinity is infinity, what is infinity multiplied by zero?"

Any number. Yes, infinity times zero is an operation with an undefined result in the common system of mathematics, another way of saying all answers are equally valid.

My degree is in math. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Hobbies?

And being a smart - uh. . .smarty is a hobby, right? ;)
JK, Erin!

Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Any number?

Somebody else had said there was no acceptable answer. I like your answer lots better. :D

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Validity

erin's picture

"For a question to be meaningful, there must be wrong answers." - Me.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Does that mean ....?

"For an answer to be meaningful, there must be the right question."

?

Fleurie

Fleurie