What should be in a splash? What shouldn't? What is optional?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

The splash or lead is the part of the Body box in a story submission that is before the <!--break-->. It appears on the front page of BC for new stories and in lists of stories in various other pages.

What should be in the splash:

• The story title
  • The chapter number and title if there is one
  • The author name
  • One or more short pieces of text that are either a "teaser", an "excerpt" or a "synopsis"

A teaser is usually in the form of a question: "What would happen to Tommy after his sister persuaded him to take her place on the date?"

An excerpt is just a short paragraph or two lifted right out of the story: "Aren't you going to kiss me?" asked Jeff. "Maybe," said Tommy, his heart pounding under the sweater he'd borrowed from his sister.

A synopsis also a short paragraph hitting the high points of the story, without spoilers please: Tommy took Linda's place on her date with Jeff because she paid him. Things went from bad to worse, then they got really complicated when Jeff ..."

You can put a teaser above the title and a synopsis below if you like or some other arrangement.

What shouldn't be in the "splash":

• More than two blank lines together. The front page is crowded, please don't try to make your splash bigger than is polite to others.
  • Horizontal lines drawn with repeated characters like the underline _ or star *. These disrupt the front page layout. Use <hr> instead.
  • Images bigger than 400 wide and 300 tall. You can fudge a little but remember that other stories are appearing on the front page, too.
  • Copyright notices are not needed in the splash. They can appear with the story if you like and that will cover the usage in the splash, too.
  • Appreciations to editors and proofreaders. Again, put those below the break. The only persons name needed in the splash is the author(s).

The only thing really optional in the splash is a logo or other image. Try to keep those small enough not to be intrusive to others and large enough to be useful.

Thanks and hugs to all,
Erin

Oh and ...

I noticed someone recently putting a summary (short version of what you are about to read) before the break. I think this kinda ruins the enjoyment (a little - even tho its a great story) if you know whats going to happen.

To each

His or her own. This is an ongoing discussion here on BC, and I don't think it's possible to get a majority behind any of the available options. And I don't think Erin should even try. This is not a democracy, it is a benevolent dictatorship or sometimes anarchy. As long as we play nice together, Erin runs things with a velvet glove.

KJT

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
Sir Charles Panther

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Summary or synopsis

erin's picture

Same thing. That's one option for what to put in the splash area above the break. It's what is asked for at Crystal's and FM but it is VERY hard for some people to write one without giving too much away. That's why I allow teasers and excerpts instead. :)

Some people prefer to do the synopsis/summary, some don't. It's a BigCloset.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Giving something away is no big deal.

I mean heck, how much can you give away about a story in a handful of lines? You have to tell potential readers something in order to tease them into reading your opus, don't you?

I have initially skipped many really good stories because of poor summarys/synopses, then read them later due to good recommendations, by other readers.

Mr. Ram