Reconciliation 7 - 'This better not be a dream...'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 3
Reconciliation

Chapter 7 - 'This better not be a dream...'

A Gaby FanFic by PB


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Licensed royalty free. Provided by PD Photo.org .

 


 
Chapter 7
 

Seven-and-a-half months, but who’s counting…

(Ting-a-ling)

The door chimes sounded as Jenny and the other thirteen ladies of the wedding party stepped into the Ye Ol’ Faire, the Renaissance-clothing store that the girls had previously visited on the occasion of Maddy’s graduation.

“Ahhh … heat!” Ann exclaimed. Although early October, Manchester and the surrounding area was experiencing some relatively cool weather for the region.

“May I help you ladies?” A middle-aged gentleman inquired as he approached Jenny.

With Carol looking on, Jenny greeted the gentleman and pointed at Maddy and Gaby.

“We’re the Bond-Peters wedding party … I believe you set up an appointment with our daughters to …”

“Ah yes! My wife and I have been expecting you, Oh! … I’m sorry. I’m Jay and this is Linda,” Jay said pointing to his wife.

“I’m Jenny Bond and this is Carol Peters … and this one’s mine.” Jenny put her hand on Gaby’s shoulder. “This is Gaby.”

“And Maddy is mine,” Carol added while touching Maddy’s hand.

“You kids can do your own introductions,” Jenny playfully suggested.

“Okay. This is my sister and Maid of Honour … Jules … an’ my bridesmaids … Mfawny … Judith … Nina an’ Kristen.”

“This is my Maid of Honour … Katia … and my bridesmaids … Alison … Brenda … Ann and Cathy,” Maddy proudly announced soon as Gaby finished her introductions.

“Very nice to meet all of you,” Linda replied.

“When Gaby and Maddy first emailed me and explained their idea, Jay and I were quite intrigued. Amber, our resident seamstress, is already in the back waiting with the dresses you already picked out online and some refreshments.”

“Well, then … on that note, I’ll leave you ladies in my wife’s capable hands. Very nice to meet all of you,” Jay mentioned as he left to attend to another matter.

Linda then motioned for the ladies to go through to the fitting area in the back of the store. The plan was to fit one bridal party at a time and since Gaby’s dress was the first one Linda put her hands on, they started with her bridal party.

“I must say … this has to be the single largest wedding party we’ve dealt with.”

As she brought Gaby her dress, Maddy grabbed hold of her fiancée’s arm. “It’s beautiful!” Gaby exclaimed.

It was love at first sight for Gaby. The off-white velvet dress was of a sleeve-less design with a boned re-enforced front for tight lacing of the low bodice and ties on the shoulder, ending in a full skirt.

“I’d like to point out a couple of things that you may find … well … different from what you’re used to,” Linda commented.

“These fashions were worn long before the bra was invented and are not intended to be worn with said bra. I assure you, though ... the laced bodices will give you all the support you need!” Linda explained with a knowing smile.

“All the dresses of the Renaissance period are worn with this ... a chemise. You’ll also notice a distinct lack of zippers or elastic … just laces.”

When Gaby inspected hers, she noticed the chemise was a loose fitting, knee-length cotton garment with drawstrings around each wrist and the neck. To her it looked like a very plain white cotton nightdress.

“I should point out Gaby, that your chemise has detachable sleeves and depending how you tie the drawstring at the neck … an adjustable neckline.”

“Hmmm … does Maddy’s?”

“No. Her sleeves aren’t detachable ... but the neckline is adjustable ... like yours.”

“I’ll be keeping the sleeves, then.” Linda acknowledged Gaby’s comment with a nod of her head.

“Although it’s not historically accurate for the sixteenth century, some of our ‘noblewomen’ who wear this style of dress, cheat and wear a crinoline under the chemise just to give a little better shape to the skirt. We have some over there, if you’d like to see what it’ll look like.”

“I think I would … thank you.”

“Right, then … follow me and we’ll get you sorted.”

Linda gathered up Gaby’s dress and chemise. She also went over to another rack and selected a crinoline, then waited for her to join her. When Gaby started to follow Linda back to a change room, she began to remove her ‘feather’ from her hair.

“Don’t you dare!” Maddy called out in an uncompromising voice.

“You serious?” Gaby questioned as she looked at Maddy.

“I want to see what it looks like … please?” A quick scan of the girl’s faces told Gaby that the others agreed.

(sigh) “Looks like I’m out voted … again,” Gaby admitted.

“Okay … but I’ll have to take it out to get changed. I promise that I’ll put it back in before I come out … fair ‘nuff?” Hearing no objections, she then turned for the change room.

“Gaby! Your shoes!” Jules stepped forward and handed her sister a bag with her white dress pumps, before letting her continue back to the change rooms. “I don’t think trainers go well with that dress,” Jules sarcastically added.

“Thanks!”

Sometime later, she emerged and walked out to present herself to her gathered friends and family. Linda offered her hand to steady Gaby as she stepped up onto a small round stage. Amber quickly swooped in to mark a few small alterations before standing back.

An approving smile swept across Maddy’s face when she saw that her fiancée chose to wear her chemise off-the-shoulder and show a hint of cleavage.

“Whaddya think Mad?” Jules quietly asked as Gaby made her appearance.

“She’s gorgeous!” Maddy sighed.

“I meant about the ‘feather’!” Jules hissed.

“That’s not what you asked!” Maddy discretely shot back.

“Sweetheart … I think your ‘feather’ really looks good with the dress. You really should keep it.”

“Ya think?” A quick poll of the others quickly showed Gaby she had been out voted, again.

“There’s a definite trend here…”

“I dunno…”

“Well … look for yourself, then!” Kristen urged.

Once Amber was finished, Gaby and Linda returned to the change room, but not before she was directed to a 3-way full-length mirror. As she caught sight of her reflection, a hint of a smile began to form.

“Just like in Drew’s dream…”

In the meantime, Amber had retrieved one of their ‘Fair Maiden’ style dresses and a plain ‘Celtic Chemise’ from the rack.

Reading the tag, she called out, “Jules.” The two women then went off to one of the change rooms.

A short time later, Gaby had changed back to her street clothes and returned to the others. She was helping herself to a tea and a biscuit as Linda came back out and retrieved another dress and chemise.

“Mfawny,” Linda called out as she read the identifying tag on the dress. After Em put down her tea and picked up her dress pumps, she followed her to a change room.

When Jules emerged with Amber, her ‘baby’ sister gave her a typical ‘wolf whistle’, much to the amusement of the others.

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Jules sweetly answered back.

“Whaddya think, sis?” Gaby asked.

‘It’ll take a bit getting used to these sleeves … but I really like it!” Jules replied as she held her arms out straight letting the ‘drop sleeves’ of the chemise hang to their full extent.

Unlike Gaby, Jules wore a floor-length, white cotton chemise with a square neckline that tied at the shoulder. Over that she wore a dark blue sleeve-less ‘dress’ with decorative trim on the edges of the low bodice.

As Jules pointed out, all these ‘dresses’, except Gaby’s, were more like a floor-length vest, entirely opened at the front and only joined by the lacing at the bodice.

Carefully eyeing Jules’ dress, Amber marked of a couple of minor alterations and then waited until Linda returned with Em.

When Linda took Jules’ back to get changed, Amber remained out front and assisted Em up onto the small stage where she proceeded to mark off any required alterations.

All of Gaby’s bridesmaids wore the same ‘Fair Maiden’ dress paired with the same ‘Celtic Chemise’ as Jules, except where she had a blue dress, the bridesmaids had red. The fitting of the remainder of her bridal party went quickly.

While Amber was finishing up with Judith, Linda took charge of Maddy and led her off to a change room.

“Would you like to try a crinoline as well, Maddy?”

“Yes, please...”

Later, all eyes were on her as she walked out and stepped up onto the small stage.

“Wow!” Gaby quietly enthused to Jules.

“You do have a way with words, sis…” Jules playfully whispered.

Her knee-length chemise had full drop sleeves but unlike the one Jules wore, her ‘Celtic’ style was a bit more ornate in that it had a drawstring at the wrists and an embroidered strip with the intricate ‘Celtic knot’ design running along the top of each arm from the wrist to the shoulders. It also had a drawstring neckline, which allowed a choice of different neckline styles to be worn.

Like Gaby, she elected to show some cleavage by wearing her chemise with a low, scooped neckline.

Her ‘Celtic Maiden’ dress was a similar style to the ‘floor-length ’vest‘, that Jules would wear, but with ties at the shoulders as well as the front bodice. The lacing on her bodice was a simpler pattern compared to that on Jules’ dress, plus the edging on both sides of the bodice along the lacing had a wide embroidered strip of the same ‘Celtic knot’ design that was on the sleeves of the chemise.

While her ‘heavy’ cotton dress was ivory, the chemise and floor-length cotton petticoate* were white, providing a subtle contrast.

“Mad? You realise your ring an’ the embroidery match?” Gaby pointed out.

“What can I say?” Maddy innocently replied.

The fitting of the rest of her bridal party went quickly, with each one also wearing an identical ‘Celtic Maiden’ style of dress, petticoate and chemise that Maddy wore, only in different colour combinations.

As Maid of Honour, Kat wore a rouge dress with a burgundy bodice, over a marine blue petticoate and the bridesmaids each wore dresses of hunter green over a burgundy petticoate.

As with the other girls in Maddy’s bridal party, Kat wore her chemise with a more modest neckline so as not to draw attention from either of the brides.

“That’s it? … Amber?”

“Things worked out perfectly for a couple of the shorter girls here. Their dresses were too long, but with their heels, they fit beautifully … as for the others … give me two weeks to let out the hem on their dresses.”

Seeing one or two worried faces, Amber sought to reassure the girls by showing them the hem of one of the dresses.

“Don’t worry. Even with them being ready-to-wear, there’s still plenty of material …see?” Kristen and Judith both let out a collective sigh of relief.

“It’ll depend on my schedule an’ that of the others … as to when we can come in again … but let’s leave it at two weeks and I’ll email you in the next few days with a final date. Is that okay, Linda?”

“That’ll be fine.”

Later, when everyone was gathered on the sidewalk outside the shoppe, Carol thoughtfully asked, “Anyone fancy a bite to eat?”

“There’s a good Italian place very near here,” Cathy volunteered.

Hearing no protests, Jenny handed down the verdict.

“Italian, it is … and since you had the idea, Cathy … you can lead the way.”

After a short walk, the fourteen ladies soon found themselves seated in an upscale Italian eatery, tucked away on a quiet side street away from the city traffic. Having ordered, the table talk among them naturally turned to the wedding.

“How’s the guest list coming, girls?” Jenny inquired.

“We’re done. It’s not large … but we’re done,” Gaby replied.

“When we get back home … Carol and I’ll sit down with both of you. We’ll get this list sorted so you can get the invitations sent out. Any thoughts on where they’ll stay? You should really reserve the rooms … the earlier, the better.”

“The Steigenberger Bad Neuenahr isn’t too shabby,” Gaby suggested.

“Nice choice,” agreed Kat.

“I should think that place could probably handle both the reception and the guest’s rooms,” Carol added.

“If you want … I’ll phone the hotel next week and set up an appointment so we can go see what packages they can offer.”

“Thanks, Mum…” Maddy quietly replied.

“If you girls do decide to book anything … be sure to ask for the maximum number of rooms according to the list. That way you’ll have the rooms reserved,” Jenny advised.

“Shouldn’t we wait for the replies?” Maddy asked.

“You can always free up some rooms once the RSVP’s come in,” Carol pointed out.

While they were waiting for their food to arrive, Gaby leaned forward on her elbows and looking around the table at the others, she asked a simple question.

“Do you guys really think my ‘feather’ looks okay with the dress?”

“Yes!” Several voices chorused.

“It just seems that everyone is always trying to get me to wear it...”

“Und why not Gabi? It looks beautiful on you … und you saw how it looked mit your dress,” Kat observed. “I think you should really consider wearing everything.”

“Everything?” Gaby echoed.

“Der ‘full Indian’,” confirmed Kat.

Looking directly across the table at Maddy and Kat, Gaby softly asked, “You two really think ‘that’ would look okay with my dress?”

“Yes!” Maddy confidently offered as Kat nodded her agreement.

Pausing to think for a moment, Gaby ventured, “How ‘bout with both of our dresses?”

Before they could answer, Jenny inquired, “What exactly does Kat mean by … the ‘full Indian’?”

“It’s how she describes all the stuff I got from Jessica … but in this case I think she’s only talking about my Nighthawk feather, the feather earrings and my beaded choker … right, Kat?” Looking at Gaby, she nodded her agreement.

Jenny and Carol thought about it for a brief moment and then Jenny spoke up.

“Too bad you didn’t have your choker with you at the fitting, then we could’ve seen how it looks with your dress … but you know what? I think Kat’s on to something.”

“What’re you thinking about, sweetheart?” Maddy could see that Gaby had a far-away look in her eyes.

“I’m not sure … but … maybe Kat does have something. I just got to think about this a bit more,” Gaby thoughtfully replied.

“If you guys are watching the Euros … I’ve a suggestion that could save a few and be a lot of fun!” Kristen piped up.

“We look rich? Out with your idea, girl...” Maddy voiced.

“Instead of reserving hotel rooms for your friends here, for a few days … why don’t we put them up? Each of us could host one girl. Saves you guys money and it might be fun … well?”

“I’m all for saving money,” Gaby cheerfully commented.

“Sounds great … so far,” Carol offered. “What do the rest of you think?” A quick scan around the table showed unanimous agreement with the idea.

“Who gets who?” Gaby asked.

“I’ll take Ann if she wants,” Kristen offered. “I’ve an extra room.”

“Und Brenda can stay at my place … I haff room also,” Nina allowed.

“Cathy can stay mit me … no problem!” Judith volunteered.

“I think Ally can stay with us … can’t she Mum?” Maddy asked.

“Of course.”

“Em? Looks like you’re stuck with me,” Gaby voiced.

“I’d like that Gabs … thanks.”

“Looks like you lucked out, Kat!” Maddy observed.

“That’s okay. As Maids of Honour, Kat and Jules will be too busy!” Jenny jokingly observed.

After dinner, they all said their good-byes and checked that everybody still had everyone’s contact information. Later, Em and Ally drove back to Warsop. Maddy’s friends went off to their respective homes and the ‘German contingent’ went back to their hotel.

“Ya gonna tell me what you were thinking back there?” Maddy cooed, when she and Gaby were alone, cuddling on the couch back in Jenny’s room.

“I think we could use a holiday … don’t you?” Gaby questioned.

“Gabs! We’re planning our wedding … an’ you’re thinking of a holiday?” a disbelieving Maddy asked. “An’ just where would we go?”

“Toronto?” Gaby mischievously suggested.

“Hmmmm … if it’s just the two of us … I’m listening,” Maddy seductively replied as she ran her fingers through Gaby’s hair.

“Well … maybe more of a ‘working’ holiday. We need a few things for my idea to work,” Gaby mused as she snuggled closer to Maddy.

“Thinking of going back to the Trading Post … are we?” Maddy quietly asked.

“You know me pretty well, wife…” Gaby playfully replied.

“Not your wife yet ... but I like your thinking,” Maddy seductively suggested.

“Well?” Gaby expectantly voiced.

“You’ve got an idea … haven’t you!” Maddy probed.

“If I have to wear Jessica’s stuff, I think it only proper you do too … but … why stop there? Why not the entire wedding party?”

Without waiting for Maddy to respond, Gaby began laying out her idea.

“Picture this … everyone wearing some aboriginal jewellery. The two of us would wear everything … but we’ll get different decorative shields for the Hawk feather … plus different style earrings and chokers,” Gaby enthusiastically explained.

“Hmmm … sounds good so far,” Maddy agreed. “What about the others?”

“Jules and Kat would wear the same earrings an’ choker that we’d be wearing … an’ our bridesmaids would wear the same earrings we’re wearing. The jewellery would separate our bridal parties … but because we’re all wearing aboriginal stuff ... it would kinda unite the entire wedding party. What’d ya think?”

“I love it ... but ... what about our mums?” Maddy wondered. “You might want to identify them with each of us.”

“Yer right! Well ... ‘ow ‘bout if they wear the same jewellery as Jules an’ Kat?” Gaby suggested.

“That works. Do you think we should tell ‘em or just let it be a surprise?” Maddy softly asked.

“It might be a good idea to tell them … ‘specially since it looks like we’d hafta go when the team breaks for Christmas,” Gaby reluctantly suggested.

Oh … Christmas, huh?” Maddy sighed.

“Unless George can let me go earlier,” Gaby quietly replied.

“I thought the season is over … no races,” Maddy reasoned.

“Just because we don’t have any races doesn’t mean we’re sitting around. George’s got the team down for a lot of personal appearances in the next few weeks,” Gaby explained.

“Oh … okay,” Maddy replied dismissively.

“Now ... which earrings would you like to wear … the ‘dream-catchers’ or ‘the single feather’?” Gaby softly asked.

“You’re always seen with the ‘feather’ earrings, so I’ll take the ‘dream-catchers’. No use confusing people now,” Maddy softly replied.

“Just thought I’d ask. So? Whaddya think?” Gaby wondered.

“We’re going to Toronto!” Maddy squealed as she threw her arms around Gaby.

“We’ll have to fly commercial this time, though. George mentioned the gift of free air travel applied only between England and Germany,” Gaby cautioned.

“I knew it!” Maddy disappointedly replied as a concerned look crossed her face.

“Hey! I figure with what we’ve saved between Apollinaris’ wedding gift and Kris’ little idea for cutting hotel bills … we can afford it.”

Gaby quietly reassured her fiancée as she leaned over to kiss her on the lips, while Maddy’s hand unconsciously caressed her future wife’s breast.

“Oi!” Jenny’s voice suddenly rang out. Both girls jumped, as neither one had heard their mother’s come into the room when she used her room pass.

“We’re just talking about the wedding!” Gaby quickly volunteered.

“We can see you two were deep in discussion,” Jenny jokingly replied.

“We were!” Gaby half-heartedly protested. ”Listen …‘member Kat’s idea with the jewellery at dinner? We’ve done some thinking an’ kind of taken that a step further.”

The two girls spent the next little while telling their mother’s their plans for the wedding parties and the need for the transatlantic flight.

“We figured we’d go for a couple of days an’ be back before Christmas … you said George’s always gave two weeks to allow for travel an’ all.”

“You just make sure it’s okay with George before you go running off,” Jenny said as she walked over and hugged her daughter.

“I will.”

Both Carol and Jenny took a chair and sat opposite the girls.

“We did our own thinking and came up with our own idea for the holidays. What do you two think about your grandmothers spending Christmas with us in MayschoáŸ? We’ve already talked to your fathers and they love the idea!”

“One small problem, Mum … Gran doesn’t know about these.” Gaby pointed to her diamond.

“Ummm … actually ... she does. She just hasn’t seen them yet,” Jenny sheepishly corrected.

“You ... didn’t tell me. What did she say?”

“Just that she’ll talk to you.”

“Oh,” Gaby’s soft tone of voice left no doubt that she wasn’t looking forward to that talk.

“Darling … your Gran loves you and she knows how you feel about Maddy. Now don’t worry.”

“It took a while for her to come around … but your Gran also knows,” Carol mentioned to Maddy in a subdued tone.

“It’s too late to call now … but tomorrow Carol and I’ll invite your grandmothers and if you’d like ... speak to them about your engagement, again… okay?”

Jenny then looked at Gaby and added, “But now … Carol and I want to get to bed. So say ‘gute Nacht’ girls … and let them go to their own room.”

“Gute Nacht, Liebling,” Gaby whispered as she once again leaned over to kiss Maddy, before she and her mum left for the night.

The next morning the nine women met for an early breakfast then after checking out of their rooms, caught the hotel’s shuttle bus to the airport and had the driver take them over to the General Aviation complex and the FlightLinks terminal. As soon as their luggage was stowed and they were on board, the plane departed for Bonn.

Upon their arrival back in Germany, Mike and Dave met the ladies with the teams’ mini-bus at the Apollinaris corporate hanger.

“Good weekend, dear?” Dave asked Jenny.

“Very … but remind me to call Mum once we get home?” Jenny replied.

Soon after Jenny arrived at work on Monday, George walked up the hall and knocked on the doorframe of her office.

As she looked up, he asked, “Jenny? Ask Gabi to join us in my office, bitte?”

“May I ask why? What’s she done?” Jenny was a bit worried by the serious tone of his request.

George looked at her and sensing Jenny’s concern, stated, “Nein … nein … nothing like that.”

“We’ve received some requests asking for both of you to make a few appearances and I just wanted to discuss them.”

A short time later, the two women were in sitting in front of his desk, waiting for him to begin.

“Just to bring you two up to speed. While you were gone last Friday, I received this request from ‘Das Erste’. Seems they’re making a documentary on Germans and sport. They want to do a piece on the team und estimated they’d be filming here for about a week sometime next month … but there’s also a good probability they vill be tagging along for a time when we go to Australia in February,” George explained. “The final dates for filming haff yet to be set.”

“The next request is from the American-based Versus television network. As I understand it they re one of those sports networks. They wish to come here for a couple of days … Oct. 30th und 31st to be exact … to do a story on the team … und on you two, specifically. I’ve already okay’d their request.”

“We also have one from that new shopping complex north of Bonn. The sports chain Foot-Locker is opening up a large store and they’ve requested the team along with you, Jenny … and Maria, to do a public appearance and autograph session. That’s the 14th of December. It’s a Saturday … any problems?”

“Nein,” both women answered.

“Now, I believe this next request is from an acquaintance of yours … Caro?” George stated. The mention of her name got the undivided attention of the two ladies.

“The British Cycling Federation in Manchester is having a charity track event to help some local food banks und they are asking that the both of you make an appearance … do a few laps … show yourselves … that kind of thing.”

Re-adjusting the papers on his desk, George continued.

“Caro also asks that Gabi compete in a few team and individual heats and if you feel up to it, Jenny … she says they’d love to haff you also compete along side of her … but she strongly emphasizes that it is totally up to you.”

“Sounds like Caro,” Gaby commented as she addressed her mother. George looked confused with the obvious familiarity displayed by Gaby.

“Sorry George. Caroline’s a family friend and Gaby’s Godmother,” Jenny hastily added for George’s benefit.

After some reflection, George quickly added, “I know that’s very short notice for you Jenny … especially if you decide to compete … but think about it? The date that was given is Dec.7 … which is a Saturday. If you do it … you can be there on the Friday morning and come home Monday … let you have a day with your friends, ja?”

As Jenny started to rise, Gaby put her hand on her mum’s arm.

“Mum ... can we do it?”

Jenny resumed her seat and thought about it for a brief time.

“It might be fun, at that...” Jenny confirmed as she beamed a smile at her daughter. “I’ll give Caro a ring when I get back to my office and give her the good news.”

On the way back, she turned to Gaby and commented, “That gives you and the team about a-month-and-a half to get me in shape, kiddo!”

As she ran off to find the others, Gaby called back to her mum, “We’ll do it!”

Later on the way home, Gaby started thinking aloud.

“Mum? How ‘bout having Mad an’ the others come to Manchester with us? If we arrived on the Thursday night ... we could have our final fittings Friday morning ... an’ be at the Federation’s velodrome in the afternoon, for the charity ride.”

“Kill two birds with one stone, eh? I’ll ask George if he can arrange it, first thing tomorrow,” Jenny said with a smile.

The next morning at the team building, Jenny came into the weight room upon noticing that Gaby and ‘her girls’ were in there, working out.

“Everything’s arranged for Manchester and for better or worse ... I’m all yours in the afternoons,” Jenny announced while sporting a silly grin.

“Oh ... make sure you take Jessica’s things with you so we can see what they’ll look like with your dress,” Jenny added before she headed back to her office.

Gaby knew her mum was thrilled to be getting back in her element, even if it was a one-time effort for a ‘home-town charity event’.

A month later……

When Gaby took the key out of the ignition, Maddy leaned over and firmly planted a kiss on her fiancée’s lips.

“For luck, sweetheart,” Maddy whispered into Gaby’s ear.

Deep down, she was a bundle of nerves and she knew that Gaby felt the same, despite her calm appearance. This marked a big step in their plans. They were finally going to have their scheduled meeting with Reverend Albrecht and his assistant, Reverend Gotthard.

After their lips parted, Gaby let out an audible sigh before they got out of the car. She found the chill of the early November evening air was ‘just what she needed’, as she walked around to join her fiancée.

Taking Maddy’s hand in hers, the girls exited the public car park and walked across the almost empty town square. As they approached the ‘Town Church’, they ignored the large front doors and silently walked along the side of the stone wall of the structure until they came to the smaller ‘South Door’.

“What now?” Maddy asked as they stepped inside.

“We wait…”

At the appointed time a tall middle-aged man wearing a minister’s collar and looking more like a Canadian lumberjack with his red plaid flannel shirt and blue jeans, approached the girls.

“Guten Abend, Damen … Frá¤ulein Bond … und Frá¤ulein Peters? … Willkommen”.

“Danke,” they both replied.

Rev. Albrecht bade the girls accompany him to his office. As they entered, they found his assistant, Reverend Gotthard already there.

“It’s so nice to see the both of you again. I recall when I last spoke to your mama, Gabi … she mentioned you had some ideas for the ceremony?” Rev. Gotthard asked.

Gaby turned to look at Maddy and then grasping her hand, returned her attention to Rev. Gotthard.

“We do … but we don’t know if you’ll allow them.”

“Then why don’t you tell us and let us decide?” Rev. Albrecht softly asked with a smile.

For the next little while, both girls outlined their ideas and the reasoning for their inclusion into the ceremony.

“I don’t see why we can’t accommodate your wishes. They certainly don’t conflict with the teachings of this church,” Rev. Albrecht mentioned after both he and Rev. Gotthard listened intently to the girl’s plans.

Following a brief silence, Rev. Gotthard turned to the girls. “Would you mind waiting here for ein Moment? I’d like to have a quick word with Rev. Albrecht.”

The two clergy then left the office and went out into the hallway. Both girls could hear muffled conversation as they discussed whatever was on Rev. Gotthard’s mind. When they came back into the office and re-took their seats, the girls were a little anxious.

“Sorry about that, but Rev. Gotthard is junior to myself and she raised a point about your wedding that she felt required my guidance before she brought it up.”

“As I sat here listening to you explain your ideas … a thought crossed my mind ... but before I said anything ... I felt I needed to consult Rev. Albrecht … und now ... I ask you,” Rev. Gotthard quietly began.

“As I sat here watching und listening to both of you … I couldn’t help but be moved by the love you obviously have for each other. I would be honoured if you allowed me to marry you … if … you have no objections?”

The girls looked at each other, then back to Rev. Gotthard.

“None whatsoever! It’s us who would feel honoured if you did ... Danke,” Gaby voiced. Rev. Albrecht nodded his approval.

After Rev. Gotthard noted the wedding date in the church schedule and the girls gave her their contact information, they prepared to leave with a much better feeling for the future.

As promised by George, on the evening of December fifth, the German half of the wedding party including Jenny and Gaby were whisked to the corporate hanger in Bonn.

The following morning, the entire wedding party assembled at Ye Ol’ Faire. The fittings went without any problems and in the end all the girls went away with their dresses and anxiously anticipated when they could wear them ‘for real’.

After all the ‘good-byes’ were said, everyone returned to their respective homes and the German contingent returned to their hotel. Having put the dresses in their rooms, they waited at the hotel’s main entrance for the Federation supplied transportation.

After Caro’s charity event for the food bank was over and contributions tallied, it was deemed a huge success. With a capacity crowd at the facility’s Velodrome, the final tally was some 10,200 pounds of food donated for the food bank.

Both Jenny and Gaby did a few laps with some of the juniors training with the Federation. However in a last minute decision, Jenny graciously declined to participate in any competitive heats.

Gaby did ride in three of the competitive heats with two being team events while the last event was individual. The teams for the team events were composed of one pro — Caro and Gaby, plus juniors from the Federation’s youth development program.

She won the individual event with little difficulty, although Caro did give her a few anxious moments. Her team won one of the team events, but lost the other by less than a wheel.

When it came time to meet the fans and sign autographs, Caro felt she really found a treasure with Kristen, Nina and Judith sitting in the stands. Following some token persuasion, Caro now had most of the core members of Team Apollinaris signing and mingling with those who came out for the afternoon’s events.

Dec.16th-21st…

As Lufthansa flight 1754 touched down at Pearson International, Maddy’s first thought when as she looked out the window, was snow and lots of it!

She couldn’t believe that she and Gaby were back in Toronto, alone!

“We couldn’t have come last July, could we?” Maddy sarcastically asked Gaby.

Gaby leaned over and looked out the window. When she sat back upright, she calmly looked at her fiancée and then grinning, shook her head side-to-side.

“I can’t believe a whole week with just the two of us (sigh). That was nice of George to give you the two weeks...” Maddy cooed as she held Gaby’s arm and laid her head on her love’s shoulder while the plane was taxiing up to the boarding gate.

“One week here … one week at home with the folks,” Gaby softly sighed.

“I love you,” Maddy whispered as she gently turned Gaby’s face towards hers and planted a gentle kiss on her lips.

After clearing customs and getting their luggage, the girls boarded the shuttle bus for the Royal York Hotel. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, it was literally right across the street from the train station.

Once checked in and settled in their room, Gaby phoned ‘Via’** and reserved two tickets for the following day, on the eastbound train to Belleville.

“We’ll hire a cab at the train station in Belleville to get us out to the Trading Post. It’d probably be easier if we leased a car ... but you have to be 25, just like back home,” Gaby mentioned.

Changing the subject, she asked Maddy, “I talked to the girl at the reception desk … the stores are opened late tonight. You want to go shopping for some Christmas prezzies or wait until we get back?”

“Wait…“ Maddy’s softly replied.

“Hungry? There’s bound to be some good restaurants around here.” As Gaby asked the question, she noticed Maddy had a mischievous grin on her face.

“Maybe later…” Maddy seductively breathed. As she got up off the couch, she offered Gaby her hand.

The next morning found the two up bright and early. After a good breakfast, they braved the labyrinth of Toronto’s downtown large underground shopping concourse. Even though the route from the Royal York Hotel to Union Station was only a very small portion of the total complex, they found they had to follow the signs quite closely.

Once they managed to get to the main level of the station, they picked up their tickets and made their way to the lower level of the station’s main building, where they quickly located the proper boarding gate. The hour-and-a-half train ride east through a winter wonderland, proved to be very enjoyable and relaxing for the girls.

When they arrived in Belleville, Gaby had a crazy idea but she thought she’d surprise Maddy. Instead of phoning for a cab from the station, she leafed through the local phone book until she found what she was looking for. As she turned her back to her fiancée, she pulled out her credit card.

Fifteen minutes later, she informed Maddy that she saw their cab pulling up to the front door. When the two exited the station, they encountered a small line of taxi’s looking for passengers. Gaby promptly walked past them and approached a middle-aged man standing beside a black limousine.

“C’mon … ya just gonna stand there …or ya gonna get in?” Gaby playfully asked as the driver opened the back door for the girls.

“You’re bloody daft, Gaby Bond!” exclaimed Maddy as both girls got in.

“You’re just figuring that out?” Gaby laughed as Maddy grabbed hold of her fiancée’s arm. “Besides … you’re worth it.”

Once they arrived at the Trading Post, the girls went inside and armed with a list, they went directly to the jewelry. There would be no browsing through the store this time since they were ‘on the clock’ with the limousine waiting outside.

With help from the staff, they quickly found everything they had come for and more, including the prized ceremonial shields for the Nighthawk feathers. Along with their purchases, they once again entered their ride and headed back towards town and a much anticipated late lunch.

Later that afternoon, they grabbed a cab at the restaurant and headed to the train station to catch the train back to Toronto. The return trip was relaxing but uneventful, with both girls just taking in the scenery as they sped along within sight of Lake Ontario.

Back in their hotel room while preparing to go for a late diner, Maddy turned to her intended.

“Are we daft? You realise besides flying across an ocean … we just traveled a total of some 300 kilometres just to shop at one store?”

“It was the closest store to us with the things we were looking for…” Gaby shrugged.

“When you put it that way...” Maddy breathed as she gently pushed Gaby back on the bed and lay down beside her. For several minutes, they silently held each other as their tongues met in a very intensely passionate, ‘French’ kiss.

MayschoáŸ, Dec.21-Jan.3

“You seem nervous, sis … it’s only Gran,” Jules remarked as they were waiting for their mother to return from Bonn after picking up Josy and Maureen at the airport.

“You realise that this is the first time I’ve seen her since I gave Maddy her ring? I know Mum and I’ve talked to her … but…“ Gaby nervously wondered.

“Enough already ... okay? I’ve heard it before … over an’ over! You don’t need to repeat it,” Jules raised her voice at her sister in frustration.

“Sorry, Jules...”

Gaby visibly cringed at her sister’s words and Jules immediately felt bad as she realised how apprehensive her sister was about the visit.

“It’s me who should be sorry ... not you. I know how much this means to you and Mad. I agree ... things have changed a bit since we last saw Gran.”

“Only a bit?” Gaby echoed in mock disbelief.

“Well … come to think of it … actually a whole lot … but … she’s talked with Mum quite a few times ... and I really don’t think she’d come all this way for Christmas if she had a problem with you or your engagement to Maddy … now would she?” Jules quietly stated as she put her arms around her sister and held her.

“I guess you’re right … but I still reserve the right to be nervous until Gran gets here and says something,” Gaby flatly commented.

“I imagine Maddy’s having the much the same thoughts about her Gran,” Jules offered.

“Yeah (sigh). I know exactly wot she’s going through...” Gaby muttered.

”At least our Gran still has one granddaughter ... with a boyfriend,” Gaby smugly pointed out. “Maddy’s Gran’s just been told by her daughter that her only grandchild’s engaged ... to another girl … an’ now ... she’s going to have to meet this girl ... me ... for the first time...”

“Sis ... you’re getting worked up about nothing. It’ll be okay.”

“Maybe ... but I‘ll be glad when it’s over,” Gaby weakly replied.

Later, Dave returned from his shopping expedition to find the girls had done a lovely job of getting the place ready for the Holidays and their grandmother.

“Mum phoned about twenty minutes ago and said Carol and her were on the way back from the airport with the two Gran’s,” Jules informed her dad as he hung up his coat.

As Jules went off to join Gaby in front of the telly, Dave headed off to his study check his email.

“Hey kids! … You forgot something!” he later called out to the girls.

When the girls came back to the kitchen door to see what the fuss was about, they saw Dave had just finished hanging Mistletoe in the doorway.

“Now we’re ready!” Dave was proud of his decorating accomplishment.

Then he looked at his daughters and with a smile on his face, flatly remarked, “Not that you two will need any encouragement with Maddy or Gerhardt, but I thought I’d make it ‘official’.”

A few minutes later, Jenny’s voice rang out as Josy and her entered the back door, “We’re back! … Sorry we took so long but we had to drop Carol and Maureen off.”

“GRAN!” Both girls shouted in unison, as they ran through the house, towards the back door and Josy’s waiting arms. Josy couldn’t help but notice the small hesitation by Gaby, when she scooped up her youngest granddaughter.

“Have you been crying?” Josy softly asked.

(sniff) “I thought you’d be mad at me...”

“FerGodssake ... why, child?”

“Me and Maddy...” (sniff)

“Why would I be upset? Gaby ... you’re my granddaughter,” Josy quietly reassured her as the two continued to hold each other. “Correct me if I’m wrong ... but I thought we’d settled this a while ago...”

“That was before I gave Mad her diamond...” Gaby weakly replied.

Taking off her coat and boots, Josy steered her youngest grandchild into the lounge where they sat down on the couch.

“Listen to me … true, you’re both women … but … you’re not the only lesbian couple in the world. Maybe in this family … but not in the world...” With that bit of understated humour, Josy briefly paused to watch a small smile form on Gaby’s tear stained face.

“Gaby ... I see something much more than just two girls wanting to get married. I see a very precious love. One that shouldn’t be thrown away ... for anything. Not many couples … let alone couples your age … can claim to have a relationship as strong as yours … or gone through similar trials to what you both endured ... and survived. So … promise me you’ll do everything you can to hold onto it?”

It was like a psychological dam had been breached when she heard those words. Gaby tightened her embrace around her Gran and held it for several minutes before letting go.

A short time after Gran was finally settled in the guestroom, the Peters showed up to join the Bonds for their dinner reservation.

Before they set out for the evening, Maddy cornered her fiancée as she was coming out of the kitchen.

“Come with me, sweetheart ... there’s someone I’d like you to meet.” Taking Gaby by the hand, they found her way to where Maureen was seated in the lounge talking with Josy.

“Gran? This is the girl I’m gonna marry ... Gabrielle Bond. Sweetheart? ... My Grandmother.”

“Nice to meet you Gabrielle. About time I met the girl who stole my granddaughter’s heart,” Maureen sweetly offered.

“I have to admit that when my daughter first told me my granddaughter not only liked girls ... but ... that she was also engaged ... I felt numb. As Carol and I continued to talk ... I learned about your long relationship and I came to realise just how happy Madeline is now that you’re back in her life. It’s clear to me that she’s made the right choice ... for her ... and as far as I’m concerned that’s all that matters. You kids certainly have my blessing.”

“Thank you, Gran...” Maddy gushed as she threw her arms around Maureen’s neck and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Yes ... thank you...” Gaby softly echoed and then also gave Maureen a kiss on the cheek.

The rest of the Holidays went by in much the same spirit. It was the first time in many years that the extended families of the Peters and the Bonds had been together for Christmas.

Both girls attended services at the Town Church and were able to briefly speak to Rev. Gotthard following the Christmas service. Gaby informed her that they would be on the World Cup tour starting in February, occasionally returning to Bad Neuenahr. They also let her know they could be reached by email all other times.

Both of the grandmothers were intrigued with the girls’ wedding plans and how far along they had come. They were especially interested in hearing about their choice of dresses as well as seeing photos of all the dresses online.

On the morning of January 3rd, Maureen and Josy said good-bye to everyone and with their luggage bulging, they each climbed into the Bond’s Volvo wagon for the trip to the Bonn airport.

Within their luggage professionally done family photos as well as photos of daughters, husbands and granddaughters were safely packed, to be later hung on their walls.

In addition, each of the grandmothers had another photo, this one probably a bit more special than the others only because it represented a new branch of the family tree — a portrait of Maddy and Gaby.

~*~

* Petticoate — old English spelling of petticoat. Participants in Renaissance Faires
(Live-action re-creations) use the proper terminology and old English spelling when referring to the Renaissance. In modern terms, the petticoate would be described as a floor-length, full skirt with a drawstring at the waist.

** Formerly ‘Canadian National Railways’, ‘Via Rail’ currently handles Canada’s passenger rail traffic. Canadian Pacific, Canada’s other major rail operator and one-time competitor to CN, specializes in freight.
 
 
Comments are Greatly Appreciated!


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Their Wedding With Indian

Jewelry sounds fantastic, but best of all, both Grans love and accept the lovebirds.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine