The View From Yesterday

Printer-friendly version

The View From Yesterday
by Ceri

I can’t see much from by here, not even with my nose against the glass, just a bare wall and the back of a door. It’s a swanky place mind, electric lamps not gas, and carpet-mats right up to the skirting — posh beyond, though the mat could do with a clean. Like I said, there’s not much to see, and I should be getting on with my round — an hour more in this sun and these cockles won’t be fit to sell — so I don’t know why I’m dawdling, except I want a good look at him.

He has a Penclawdd face, so I should know who he is; there’s a bit of a Tucker about him, and that’s a Dalimore forehead if ever I saw one, but whoever he is, he’s not from the village. Nobody from those families was ever so crachu. He dresses like a deacon though it’s not Sunday; a collar and a tie, and shiny shoes, not naily boots like mine, but then he isn’t out on the sands all weathers, or traipsing door to door. Whatever he does, he must be on tidy money to keep a house on his own.

Of course, I only know about the small corner I can see, and have to guess what’s going on behind the door. It’s open a little bit, and I can hear men and women speaking, or singing. They’re talking funny — even for Sais, who are a strange lot anyway - yet the voices keep changing, so they’re visitors and not living here. I do wish I could have a look at what’s going on; it sounds like a very gay party. Everyone’s dressed up no doubt, no rough shawls or aprons, and the women will have feathers in their hats, not cockles fallen from the basket like mine. Even my chapel clothes would look shabby in by there.

He has more women friends than a single man should, but doesn’t carry on with them. This little spot I peek in on leads to his bedroom - I know that because he wears pyjamas like they made Dat wear in the infirmary — and for all his women, not one passes me. Well, that’s true and it isn’t — let me explain, if I can.

A yellow haired woman comes and goes, but I don’t think much of her. She paints her face, and wears shocking short skirts to show off her legs. Every time she passes, she stops to preen in front of the glass. Under all the paint she’s the spit of him, which makes me think she’s his sister; lots of women live with their brothers, and it’s good for him to have a woman around the house. Perhaps she’ll get to work cleaning the carpet-mat, but seems to like looking at herself in the glass better. Listen to me gossiping, I can venture get on with my rounds or I’ll not have a hook to button my boots.

She’s him, I’d be twp not to see it, but it’s not the sort of thing you expect is it? Oh, I’ve seen men dressed as women before, fooling at the fair, and Mari Pugh said she caught her Denzil trying her best bonnet on once — she said she laughed so hard it frightened her donkey half way to Gowerton. None of them ever looked so good as a woman as he does mind; she’s a smart piece for sure and almost pretty in a way. Mr Hughes the minister wouldn’t like it, but she’s not doing any harm is she? I daresay he wouldn’t be awilling for me to be peeping either, I bet he’d be tamping - so will Mam if I go home with a basket full of cockles, and an empty purse.

I’d be the talk of the village if I plucked my eyebrows like that, until they put me to go that is. How does she get away with looking that fast, and what do all his friends think? Everyone’s still chatting away on the other side of the door — I wish I could hear what they’re saying clear — and she isn’t upset at all when she comes back in. A strange lot indeed, the crachach, but they have different ways to you and me. Thank heavens they like cockles, though not many can stomach laverbread it’s true; pity really, as she could do with a few good breakfasts - she’d blow away on the sands, there’s nothing of her.

He’s put a desk, like we had in school, in the corner under the window, to make himself a cwtch. I can’t quite see what all is by there, but there must be a lamp as it lights up her face a treat. She really should put up curtains, if she’s going to walk around in her foundations. Perhaps she wants people to see her beautiful black silk corset; I could never lace mine that tight, and if I did, I’d never be able to rake, let alone fill the griddle. I can see right through her stockings too and there’s not a hair on her legs, like those women in the French postcards Dat hides from Mamgu. I don’t think you could call what she’s wearing ‘drawers’ - there’s more lace than cloth — but I would love a pair just like them, even if I was never wicked enough to try them on. I’ll put an extra penny in the collection on Sunday for even thinking about it, though I won’t have a farthing if I don’t start knocking on doors.

Oh, there’s a grave look on his face, and that stick propped up against his desk doesn’t bode well. I’d like to see him smile again, or his sister, wherever she is today. I know what she is really, but it is like they are two people — brazen hussy that she is. Can you keep a secret? I’ve been putting a bit of money by for a pair of black silk stockings I saw in a shop in Swansea. When I’m going to wear them I don’t know, Mam would have a fit if she saw me in anything so fine, and there’d be no end of clec in Penclawdd. One day, when she’s at home, I’ll knock on the door without my basket of cockles and ask to come in, brazen as what have you, tell her everything I’ve seen and then show her my silk stockings... and not a hair on my legs!

Think of it as a last hurrah. It has been a long time since I indulged myself, though whether lacing yourself into a steel boned corset can count as an indulgence is debatable. Either way, it is good to step into ‘her’ shoes once again, even if it is the last time. Admittedly, I have not had a bad run, with more than a decade’s freedom to dress since I left Penclawdd, but the sheer effort involved has become more and more of a drain as my illness has developed. Balancing on high heels was tricky before I needed a cane, but fatigue has curtailed most my crossdressing. Having someone to help would make a world of difference, but somehow I ended up alone. A few nights ago, I decided to stop torturing myself, and to hang up my wigs for good.

Settling into my cwtch by the computer, I prepare to say my goodbyes to the online community. “It’s just you and me now, merchi,” I tell the print hung above my desk. Just what a ‘Penclawdd Cockle Girl’ from 1903 would make of me I dread to think, but before I have any chance to speculate, someone knocks the door.

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lots of questions ...

... as I'm sure you intended but nicely done. Good job every picture can't tell its story like this one or where would we be? I also have a sneaking suspicion there's a little autobiographical element hiding in here too.

thanks Ceri. Good to see another story from you even if it is too short to satisfy me completely :)

Geoff

more than a little...

Penclawdd is my home village, and like most I grew up almost in awe of the cockle women... my grandmother was one, and much in demand 'out the sands' for her donkey pacifying talents - she punched them :) I suppose a lot of the references are a bit opaque if you don't know the background, as will the language... I've tried to capture the local dialect (tho in reality it contained a lot more Welsh words, even in my childhood).

It's a getting back in the saddle story for me, as I've finally got my typing fingers back.

Good News

Glad you're doing better. You've been missed.

thanks

it's been a little dark lately I must admit - my hand took much longer to return to normal than it has before, and my left leg hasn't recovered much at all... I'm to see a new neurologist in the first week of January, and should get another trip in the MRI machine. I was just about reconciled to having to carry a cane all the time from now on when the news broke about a new drug treatment that can halt and even reverse MS progression... it's still in the testing stage but I've applied to take part in the next round of trials, though the side effects are rather scary. Nothing ventured...

I've had a lot of time to think about writing, and have fleshed out OHOP quite substantially - I'm itching to get back to it. I wrote a few stories longhand which I'll type out in the next few weeks... I've been on steroids and strong painkillers so my mental state was a bit erratic when I wrote them and they'll need editing... one has grown some too and has notes scribbled all over it, including the lyrics for several original psychedelic pop songs and I now know way too much about sitars. One last gift of the steroids has been a chest infection, that sees me off work again after two days back in the office... at least I can type now :)

Ceri, This Story

seems to change eras between modern and pre-industrial.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

cockle girl

Sorry to be ignorant...

Would this be something like:

In Dublin fair city where the girls are so pretty...... Molly Malone... she wheeled her barrow through streets broad and narrow crying "cockles and muscles, alive alive oh"

Same cockles???

God Bless You

Teddi

molly was a bit of a wimp

it's the same cockles but Penclawdd cockle girls were a hardier breed... they would go out onto Llanrhidian salt marsh ('the sands') when tides allowed... this sometimes meant going out in the dead of night where there are quicksands, and rip tides that can turn in a minute... picking was (and still is) done by raking the sands into a coarse sieve. Later at home they would boil and shell the cockles, a hot, heavy job that could take hours, before selling them... this was done in locals markets, but more often sold door-to-door all over South Wales (younger girls were dispatched to live as far away as Cardiff or Bristol, and would receive baskets of cockles on the morning mail trains). My grandmother had a stall in Swansea market, but also had rounds of her own... she would assemble her cockle baskets, donkey and my dad, catch the train to Pontarddulias and walk from there to Ammanford calling at farm houses on the way... Dad would also sing for the farmers' wives for a few extra pennies, or produce. Nana Liz also picked seaweed and boiled it down to make laverbread for sale.

men didn't do much to help - they were miners and steelworkers who worked long shifts, but they sometimes helped out with the boiling, while others made rakes, griddles and the baskets the women used. This is a photograph of my great-great-grandfather Sion Tucker weaving a creel circa 1920.

This is quite a story

that the narrator is writing. A glance at a different time through words on a computer screen. VEry interesting, and captured my attention from the first word to the last. Than you for sharing.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

two timing

kristina l s's picture

Very nicely done, the view into the other world like one of those shots where you go into the mirror and then into the mirr... and at a blink, you're back where you started. A definite air of sadness to this though, from a few angles. Interesting how dreams connect to reality isn't it. One a them time paradoxes maybe. Good to see you Ceri.

Kristina

The View From Yesterday

What happens next?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine