Answer - Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 3 Restaurant

"And how many in your party?" the man was checking off something and it didn't look like he was paying attention.

"Four, two adults and two, uh, make that four adults."

"Very good, sir, if you'll just follow me". We threaded our way across a large room. Arriving at a table with four place settings, the man stood behind my chair and pulled it out, saying, "Miss, allow me."

I hesitated, then accepted his offer. Dad, Mr. Watson and his son sat after I was seated. Dad looked over at me and smiled.

I KNEW I didn't look like a girl. I wasn't wearing anything girly, was I ?! My friend Jean had ordered my clothes from an On-line store. My outfit consisted of a pair of Unisex Pinstripe Pants in a light brown color, a plain white T-shirt covered by a Zip-Front Sweater. I also wore a new pair of tan deck shoes with thin brown socks. What was going on here? I was confused.

A waiter took our drink orders and left us alone. Dad and Mr. Watson's son were talking, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Mr. Watson was making comments and occasionally looking my way. Talk about paranoid.

Thankfully the waiter came back and we placed our orders. I ordered a Grilled Chicken Breast served over Rice Pilaf, House salad with Honey-Mustard dressing on the side. Nothing special, yet my order drew looks from the waiter and Mr. Watson and son. Everyone else ordered steaks with the works. 'What' I thought 'I don't like steak'. I just didn't say it out loud.

After dinner, Mr. Watson asked me a dilly. "Do you need to use the Ladies Room to freshen up?"

I was gonna make a comment, but was cut off by Dad saying that we had to leave. I offered thanks for the dinner and Dad eased me out the door. I couldn't wait to get home. I had to pee!

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fascinating !!

NoraAdrienne's picture

This whole story has a Twilight Zone feel to it so far.

Even androgynous clothing...

or unisex clothing can make a cute boy look like a girl, especially if the facial features are soft, and the boy is slim, but not skinny. And not to mention that Joey has long hair to boot. So maybe the error in gender from his dad's friend is reasonable. But this is getting very interesting. Keep writing more.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Ask?

Daphne Xu's picture

One might ask why Dad didn't correct the misperception. However, one shouldn't ask, but instead state flat-out. Something's wrong with Dad.

-- Daphne Xu