The Mirror on the Door

Printer-friendly version

The Mirror on the Door

by Kristine Roland

Jeffrey moves into a new house. There is something strange about the Mirror on the Door.

Updated - Thanks to Stanman63 for sending me an edited version.

Authors Note: This is the original contest version of this story. I have since updated the story and posted as The Mirror on the Door - Revised. The new version is a revised and expanded version of this original story.

Jeffrey put the last of his boxes down in his new room. He looked around. His bed, nightstand, dresser and desk had already been setup by the movers. The room was freshly painted with a bright blue on the walls, with a white ceiling. His mother had already made his bed. The comforter and pillowcases had the NY Mets baseball team logo, and the curtains in the room matched.

There was a walk in closet, and on the outside of the door to the closet was a full length mirror. His mother had decided to leave it, although she was making certain that the rest of the room was as masculine as possible.

Jeffrey's mother and father's divorce had been finalized just over a year ago. That had been rough on both his mother and himself. That had been nothing though compared to the day, about six months ago, when he had been rather publicly caught dressed as a girl. There had been no school that day. His mother was supposed to work, so he had been home by himself.

He had taken the rare opportunity to indulge himself in dressing up. He had been down in the family room when he heard his mother open the front door. Worse he heard her talking to her friend Emily, and he could hear Tim was with them.

She was saying, "Thanks for picking me up, Emily. I think my car is totaled. Just what I need right now. Come on in, let me get you guys something to drink. Jeff, I'm home."

Jeffrey knew he was caught; he had no chance of getting from the family room to the bathroom or his room without being seen. Sure enough, his mother came into the family room a moment later. The scene that followed that was not one he wanted to remember.

Tim of course told everyone at school, and it was pretty bad for a while. Than his Mom's grandmother had passed away, and his Mom had been left this house. His mother decided that a fresh start would do them both some good, and had decided to move here.

"Oh good, that was the last of the boxes. Get a start on unpacking your things Jeff. I'll go make us some lunch." His mother said.

"OK, Mom." He said as he opened up the first box, and started putting his things away.

He came upon some clothes that he needed to hang in his closet. As he looked into the mirror, he was shocked to see that the room that it showed in the reflection was pink, and the bed had a ruffled bed spread. The thing that shocked him even more was that it reflected a young girl, about his age in a pretty dress. Jeffrey shook his head and wiped his eyes, and looked again, and this time all he saw was his own room and himself.

"What the heck was that all about?" he thought to himself.

His mother called up to him and told him to come and eat.

---

The days went by, and Jeffrey was sure that he had just imagined what he saw in the mirror that first day. He settled into the new town, met some new kids, and was enjoying school. He knew that he still missed dressing up, but his mother gave him no opportunity to do so again. He had tried to talk to her about it, but she just told him it was not open to discussion.

He figured that it was just his mind playing tricks on him because he had been thinking about when he had gotten caught.
A few weeks later, he had been asleep, when he woke up, having thought he heard a noise in his closet. The moon was quite bright that evening, so the room was fairly well illuminated, and he looked over at the closet, and saw the girl in the mirror again.

She was reaching out to him and making a motion for him to come to her.

Scared but unable somehow to refuse he got out of his bed and headed over to her. He put his hand up to hers and found that his hand went into the mirror. She took his hand and guided him through.

Once he was on the other side, he looked down and saw that he was no longer a boy. He was really a girl, wearing a pretty dress. He looked at the girl he had seen in the mirror, and she said, "Hi Joann."

"Hi… Where am I? How did I get here? And who are you?"

"Whoa… One thing at a time. I'm Lisa. I'm your sister. You came through the mirror; I don't know how it works. Grandma Larkin told me it was time, and I have been watching for you."

"Grandma Larkin… My mom had a Grandma Larkin, but she just passed away, recently. The house we are living in was hers."

"I know. But that was on the other side." Lisa said.

"Why am I a girl here?" Joann asked.

"Because that is who you really are. Something is wrong on the other side, and you have a boy's body, but here you are who you are supposed to be." Lisa told her.

"What about my mother? I have to go back." Joann said.

"If you wish to, simply put your hand on the mirror and you will go back." Lisa told him.

"Will I be able to come back here if I go back?" Joann asked.

"Yes. But at some point, you will have to choose one world or the other." Lisa said.

Joann put her hand on the mirror and found he was pulled back to the other side and looking down saw himself again. He looked back at the mirror and Lisa waved, and said, "Good Night," though he could not hear her.

---

"Mom, did you know Grandma Larkin well?"

"Not too well, Jeff. My mother died when I was quite young, and my father did not get along too well with her," Jeff's mother told him.

"When did you last see her then?" Jeff asked.

"I saw her a few years ago, at Aunt Joann's funeral."

Jeff started. "Aunt Joann? I don't think I've heard of her before."

"She was my mother's sister."

"What was your mother's name?" Jeff asked.

"Lisa. Her name was Lisa." She looked at Jeff strangely. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Maybe I have, but I don't think you would believe me." Jeff replied.

"Try me." His mother said.

Jeff told his mother about what he had seen in the mirror.

His mother of course did not believe him. She got upset and thought that this was just Jeff's way of getting her to talk about his desire to cross dress again. She told him, "That's not funny, Jeff. I've told you that you will put this behind you. Don't bring it up again!"

---

Over the next few months, Jeff spent as much time as he could visiting the other side. He met Grandma Larkin.

She explained, "Joann, on this side, you are your true self. There are parallels, but you are not the same as the Joann that died on the other side, nor is the Lisa here your grandmother. Some souls are shared between each world. Mine for instance was shared by your great grandmother on the other side. Yours is shared with Jeffrey on the other side. But your soul is female, and that is making Jeffrey very unhappy. This mirror is special and is allowing both parts of your soul to come together."

The more time that he spent on the other side, the harder it became to return and become male again, yet he loved his mother and did not want to lose her.

He tried again one morning to tell his mother about the mirror. His mother said,"Enough! I'm late for work, but tonight I'm going to get rid of that mirror, and then we won't have any more talk about this."

---

Jeff went straight to his room after school. He had to choose. Lisa was waiting for him. He pushed through the mirror.

His mother came home and found him in his room. She cried out, "NO!!"

The police came and tried to determine what had happened. "It makes no sense. That mirror blew out from the inside. Its almost like something hit it from behind, and the fragments came and stabbed him right in the heart."

Later that night she went into Jeff's room, and saw a piece of the mirror was still sitting there, missed by the detectives. She picked it up and could see a pretty girl looking out at her, she was crying, she took a letter and pushed it toward the mirror. Amazingly, a letter came out of the mirror shard and into her hand.

Jeff's mother opened the letter, and read it.

Dear Mom,
I am sorry. I love you so much, but I had to choose, and on this side of the mirror I can be who I really am. Grandma Larkin sends her love as well, and promises that she will take good care of me.

Love you always,
Jeffrey.

She looked back in the mirror shard and saw that it was fading. As it faded out she saw the pretty girl say "Goodbye."

up
58 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How Sad

littlerocksilver's picture

I think there is an allegory here. Sometimes decisions have to be made and the choices can't/won't please everyone. I wish it could be different. Portia

Portia

This is sad, and

This is sad, and Jefferey/Joann should have been able to be herself. It is sad when parents decide for their children who they should be. Because I mean, aren't children human beings too? If children can reason, and I have seen 10 year olds that reason better than some adults, why shouldn't children be allowed to be who they want to be or need to be? This dual male/female thing that this country has going, is a farce anyway. They say that marriage is to be between a man and a woman, and that is the foundation on which the family is based.

But how many of these marriages end up in divorce court, and how many single parents do we have today?

I thought all throughout this story that Jeffery/Joann's mother was being very unreasonable and also very selfish.

This was very well written, but seemed to end too fast.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Thanks for the comments!

KristineRead's picture

This was written for the All Souls contest, and was meant to be a sort of ghost story, and in a way Grandma Larkin's ghost comes and takes Jeffrey away. I leave it to the readers to decide if this was really an alternate universe, or perhaps it was the ghosts of Jeff's ancestor's coming to take him to the hereafter.

The macabre ending was the point of the story, since it is supposed to be a ghost story. I was thinking of something you might tell around a camp fire.

Thanks --

Kristy

What would be best for humanity in general.

Is if dual genders went away entirely. I truly think a lot of hang up's people have about Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation would be solved if we were all just a fully functional Intersexed species.

Short and Sad

terrynaut's picture

I agree that this story did seem too short. It wasn't satisfying, but at least it did get me to care about Jeff. It got a sniffle out of me too.

I like how the mirror worked and like the bittersweet ending. The letter is a very nice touch.

Thanks. :)

- Terry

thru the mirror

laika's picture

I really loved this story. And I didn't think then end was too awfully tragic, compared to so many real life cases, where the parents deny a desperate t.g. child's reality + reap the consequences. The Mom has the letter, the old comforting myth of someone being "in a better place" for once having actual proof. And as fates go it certainly compares favorably to what happened with the magic mirrors in Ceri's At Last and Fleurie's The Old Alhambra, two very intense & scary horror tales. I know people invoke the TWILIGHT
ZONE a lot in reviewing fantasy tales, but this story seemed to echo certain specific episodes...
~~~hugs, Laika

.
What's weird though is I was listening to a Sonic Youth CD as I started reading this.
A fairly long song, called The Diamond Sea:

Time takes its crazy toll
and how does your mirror grow
you better watch yourself when you jump into it
'cause the mirror's gonna steal your soul

I wonder how it came to be my friend
that someone just like you has come again
you'll never, never know how close you came
until you fall in love with the diamond rain

throw all his trash away
look out he's here to stay
your mirror's gonna crack when he breaks into it
and you'll never never be the same

look into his eyes and you can see
why all the little kids are dressed in dreams
I wonder how he's gonna make it back
when he sees that you just know it's make-belief

blood crystalized as sand
and now I hope you'll understand
you reflected into his looking glass soul
and now the mirror is your only friend

look into his eyes and you will see
that men are not alone on the diamond sea
sail into the heart of the lonely storm
and tell her that you'll love her eternally

time takes its crazy toll
mirror fallin' off the wall
you better look out for the looking glass girl
'cause she's gonna take you for a fall

look into his eyes and you shall see
why everything is quiet and nothing's free
I wonder how he's gonna make her smile
when love is running wild on the diamond sea

Now THAT's Scary...

...the parallel between the song and the story, that is.

Thanks - and OMG, that is too much!

KristineRead's picture

Laika,

Thanks for the thoughts. The co-incidence of that song and my story, are downright scary.

With regards to the Twilight Zone echoes, I almost said something like that myself in my earlier response. All this really needed for that would have been the introduction and epilogue from Mr. Serling, but then it would have been fan fiction, and disqualified!

As I wrote it, I was not actually thinking of it that way, though having reread it a few times, I think it is similar to the episode where the neglected children go through the swimming pool and a new life. It was not intentional though.

I started with the idea of the mirror blowing outward, and the rest fell into place from there. As I said previously, I was thinking "Ghost Story" and camp fire length.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Hugs,

Kristy

Good Story

I like this story. It's fairly simple, but easily visualized. I could see in my mind Jeff's mother reading his letter and seeing Joann saying "Goodbye."

I wonder if the mirror's Joann looked like Jeffery or like his great aunt. Just how much of our soul's identity is physical, or is it only spiritual?

Anyway, good work Kristine.

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

Thanks

KristineRead's picture

CoyotePuma,

Thanks.

In my minds eye, it would be a strong family resemblence, but I was not thinking about it when I wrote it, so its open to interpretation.

I'm glad you liked it.

Hugs,

Kristy

Reflections

I saw all kinds of Real Life reflections in this marvelous story. Jeff trying to communicate to his mom fruitlessly how he felt, but her completely disregarding his concerns. His finding relief and understanding within the mirror like so many of us who've found it on-line and in escapism. The mirrors shards broken from the inside again like how I feel anyways sometimes. The too abrupt ending seemed deliberate just like any shocking event does. I guess I did see suicide like elements here, but like Laika said at least here Mom got some sort of assurance that Jeff was indeed in a better place. It is so sad that it was better because it without her being there.

wonderful tale!

hugs!

grover

The Mirror ...

Well done.

As a parent, "Bittersweet" doesn't begin to cover what I'd expect Jeffrey's mother would be feeling as she sees her son/daughter fade away.

Deni

Thank you Deni

KristineRead's picture

I would agree, that Jeff's mother is not bittersweet. I'm glad you liked it.

Hugs,

Kristy

Bittersweet

Just a little clarification here on my bittersweet comment earlier. It was the story and feel it gave me when I read it, not Jeff or his mother. I'm sure there was nothing bittersweet at all in the events for either one of them.

Touching and worthy of any author especially you...

It is always interesting that the young are more versatile and capable of accepting change than are those who have slowly collected "blinders" which restrict their ability to understand. In this case the mother was not at fault but was damaged and hurt by so much that the blinders prevented her from comprehending the importance of that being offered by her child.

A soft and soulful tale with the touch of tragedy worthy of campfire tales...
If any tale should win this contest I vote with this one.

May life treat you soft and kindly,
flowers to follow rain,
joy to follow flowers and love to encompass all.

God Bless You

Teddi

So Sad, This Story

That it took her transition to make her mother understand.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

through the looking glass

This touching story seems to convey a strong sense of longing.

Lately my cat's been scratching at the door of my closet, trying to get in. There's a mirror on the inside of the door - I wonder if he senses something that I don't.

I was almost hoping that

I was almost hoping that Jeffrey would be able to take his Mother's hand and step into the mirror with her. By doing that, both the mother and new daughter would have a good life together.

I looked in Ikea, Huffmann-Koos, Suburban; even Goodwill

Andrea Lena's picture

...I still haven't been able to find a mirror like this one. Seriously, I never grow tired of reading this series; you don't take me far...just around the corner in a way...but just far enough that I'm transported back to when I was sad and there weren't any mirrors or accepting friends or kind grand mothers. So, at least for a little while, I get to step into a world I never knew to live a life I never led and just be 'her' once again. Thank you so much for blessing my life with your writing and your care, dear one.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena