Camp Kumoni : 56

Printer-friendly version

Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Nick B

“Alright Columbine, off to the showers, quickly. Let me talk with Erika.” Phoenix ordered, dismissing them. “Go on.”

Eric slumped and sat down hard on Samantha’s bed as the others grabbed their things and headed off to the showers.

     
sunlitforest.jpg

Camp Kumoni 56

The alarm went off, startling many of the girls. Erika just burrowed deeper into her pillow. She was only half aware of the activity going on around her as she dozed in and out of consciousness.

“Come on, sleepy head.” Samantha shook her leg.

“I’m not going.” Erika mumbled into her pillow.

“Don’t be silly, it’s time for our jog around the lake. Come on. Get up.”

“I’m not going!” Erika snapped. “Leave me alone!”

Samantha pulled back. “Whoa! Someone’s a little touchy.”

“Maybe she’s on her period.” Rachel surmised.

Several of the girls giggled.

“Leave her alone,” Tricia defended. “She was up half the night.”

“Doing what?” Rachel snickered.

“She was having bad dreams,” Tricia explained.

Erika began to feel bad. She didn’t mean to wake anyone up last night. She tried to keep her crying time in the bathroom silent. But it looked like she woke Tricia up.

“Let’s allow her to sleep until we get back to shower up,” Phoenix suggested.

Erika heard the girls of Columbine leave the cabin and chat as they walked down the trail to the lake.

Erika’s mind was in turmoil; her emotions a hurricane. She was so weary, but her brain just would not let her slide back into the embrace of nothingness.

She flicked off her covers and stomped into the bathroom to take care of her morning business. She almost began crying again when she found herself sitting on the toilet. Stopping mid-stream, she stood up, turned around and finished her business as a man ought to.

Erika pulled her suit case out of the closet and dug through it, finding baggy shorts, boxers and a summer weight flannel shirt. “Just for the day,” she said just loud enough for her own ears.

Grabbing the rest of her shower gear along with Eric’s clothes, she set off down to the shower house. Erika entered the back showe stall and stripped down out of her night gown and entered the hot steaming cascade of water.

She began to feel better as the sweat and stink of the nightmares were rinsed down the drain. She wondered whether she should go without the breast forms for the day. It might be nice to let her chest breathe. She decided against it. It might raise too many suspicions and she would feel naked without their weight.

Erika toweled off, and for the first time since leaving for camp, pulled on Eric’s clothing. The extra cloth of the underwear against his leg felt alien. The pants felt too big, too baggy. How was he ever able to move around with all of that extra fabric hanging from his waist and between his legs? His private bits usually held close by the gaffe, felt unsupported; as if they were in the way as he walked out of the bathroom and back up to the cabin.

He found the acetone and used toilet tissue to remove all color from his nails. If it wasn’t so expensive to get a new set, he would have removed them as well. Going without polish would have to do. Eric combed out his hair and used his hands to push it out of his face. He looked in the mirror but his hair just didn’t look right, even plastered to his head and un-styled, he looked feminine. He dug around in his suitcase and found a baseball cap and pulled it on over his wet hair.

He looked around the cabin and sighed. His cabin mates were around the lake by now and probably doing exercises. He picked up after himself, emptied the trash and began sweeping out the cabin.

“What’s with the baggy shorts?” Victoria asked as she entered the cabin.

“That’s an interesting look,” Tricia said, eyeing him. She smiled, but it didn’t seem to hold the sparkle that it had last night.

Victoria watched him warily. “Exercising some testosterone today, are we?”

“Told you she was on her period,” Rachel shook her head as she passed him to get to her bunk.

“Are you feeling alright?” Phoenix asked.

“I… I just need a day off.” Eric stammered.

“You worked so hard to show us all that you are a girl, to show your mother that you are a girl, why suddenly the very next day, go back to looking like a boy?” Dani asked.

Tricia looked concerned. “Is it the dream?”

Stunned, all Eric could do was nod.

“It was just a dream,” Rachel scoffed. “Let it go.”

“What was it about?” Tricia asked.

Eric blushed. “Nothing.”

“Oh, leave her alone,” Samantha defended. “Can’t you see that she’s scared?”

“Alright Columbine, off to the showers, quickly. Let me talk with Erika.” Phoenix ordered, dismissing them. “Go on.”

Eric slumped and sat down hard on Samantha’s bed as the others grabbed their things and headed off to the showers.

“Identity crisis?” Phoenix inquired.

“Something like that,” Eric admitted.

“What was the dream about?”

Eric told her of the dream.

“What troubles you most about it?” Phoenix asked.

“That I don’t know who I am. I was a boy until this summer. I dressed like a boy, felt like a boy, did boy things and had boy dreams. Then I came here.”

A silence filled the cabin.

“Now you feel like a girl?”

Eric didn’t say anything. He stared at the floor.

“I thought you were enjoying being a girl?”

“I was… I am.”

Phoenix touched his knee. “I know you were having a hard time with it in the beginning, but something inside you seemed to push through and you began to blossom.”

“When did you know?” Eric asked.

“I didn’t know for a while.” Phoenix admitted. “The cabin seemed to have a tension in it that didn’t seem normal. So, I slipped away to give you girls privacy to work it out. But I didn’t go far, and I’m afraid to admit that I spied on you.”

“I thought you were going off to see Todd.”

“At first it was mostly that, but after a while it was mostly to figure out what was eating at the girls of my cabin.”

“I haven’t told anyone,” Eric blurted out. “I mean about you and Todd.”

“Thank you for that.” Phoenix smiled. “It is one of the reasons I didn’t let anyone else know about you.”

“What about Hobbs?”

“I haven’t told her. She suspects that there is something going on, but doesn’t know what it is. At least I don’t think she does.” She was quiet for a moment. “We’re supposed to be talking about you. What in this dream scares you?”

“My being married as a girl, I guess.”

“It sounds like you were surrounded by friends and loved ones, and had the support of your family.”

Eric nodded. “But I’m attracted to girls. How can I be getting married as a girl if I like girls?”

“Did you see who you were getting married too?”

“No.”

“So for all you know, you could be getting married to a girl.”

“I don’t know. Even if I was, why was I a girl and in a wedding dress, acting like a bride?”

“Why don’t you tell me?” Phoenix posed.

“I don’t know why.” Eric’s eyes welled with tears.

“I want you to think on it.” Phoenix gave Eric’s leg a squeeze. “So, you are taking the day off from being a girl. Should I excuse you from activities today so that you can stay in the cabin?”

“No.” Eric said slowly. “I want my friends; I need my friends. I’m just… just… I don’t know, just confused.”

“It’s alright.” Phoenix smiled. “However, if you decide to go back to being a boy, and that is perfectly all right, I’m going to have to know so that I can make arrangements for you to go to a different cabin, or something.”

“Or home,” Eric finished.

“Or home.” Phoenix agreed. “You work this out, okay? And come see me if you have questions. I’m a counsellor; I’m here to help you.”

“Thanks Phoenix.”

Phoenix embraced him with a big hug. “Why don’t you take a quiet walk around the lake? I’ll talk to the girls. Besides, Liberty looked as if he missed you this morning.”

Eric pulled on his Converse shoes and took the back trail down to the lake.

Why was he the bride in the dream? Why had he been getting all giddy in the dream? In the dream, as Erika, he was comfortable, why? And his mother was there, and happy, and all lovey-dovey? Giving Erika grandma’s pearl necklace?

Eric shook his head. It’s not as if he was seeing the future. It was just a dream. So why was he so bothered by it?

Eric thought back to the first few days of camp. He had been terrified of being found out; terrified of being exposed as an impostor. The clothes felt funny, the makeup felt weird, and he didn’t know what to say or how to act. Then there was the strange incident where Erika was asked out by Josh. Terrified was too light of a word for that; petrified was more suitable. And then Josh kissed him. A shiver of nastiness rolled over his body.

After that, Eric was starting to enjoy his role as Erika. Being caught and sent home was still at the back of his mind, but as Erika she started making friends. It had been so long since someone was willing to befriend Eric; so long since anyone would trust Eric–years since Eric could trust anyone other than Summer.

Erika then had to deal with the vindictive, frightened Victoria and her neurotic fear of having Eric in the cabin. That had been a nightmare. That was the second lowest point in Eric’s life, only Summer’s suicide ranked worse.

Eric’s mind spun, as he recalled the last three weeks: The special time with Samantha; the memorable Fourth of July; the shopping trips into town with the girls and experiencing the pleasures of pedicures.

He recalled coming to the realization that Samantha was no longer the girl of his dreams and finding the strength to end the relationship; finding a true, dear, friend in Tricia and learning to be comfortable in strange situations or environments.

But was that Eric’s life or Erika’s? Could he distinguish between the two? Should he?

Eric was surprised to find that he had already made a circuit of the lake. The familiar noise of breakfast could be heard from the dining hall. Eric’s stomach grumbled, but he wasn’t ready to face the other campers. Not yet. He walked up to the back door of the kitchen and peeked inside.

Sheila and her helpers had already started cleaning up after making the breakfast. Sheila looked up. “Well hello.” She gave Eric a confused smile.

“Hi, Sheila.” Eric forced a smile. “I was um… hoping to grab a bite from back here.”

“Does your counsellor know where you are?” Sheila asked trying to place the camper’s face with a name.

“Kind of. She sent me out on a walk. I was supposed to meet back up with my cabin for breakfast, but I’m really not in the mood to join the ruckus.”

“Who’s your counsellor?”

“Phoenix.”

The name clicked. “Erika, right?” Sheila stepped forward.

“Yes.”

“Grab one of those muffins. I’ll tell Phoenix that you’ll meet her back at the cabin.”

“Thank you, Sheila.”

“Just don’t make me out to be a liar. Be in your cabin,” she warned.

Eric nodded, grabbed a muffin and a bottle of juice offered by one of the helpers and ducked back out of the kitchen.

The sun mottling the ground promised a hot day. There would definitely be a lot of water activities planned for the afternoon. Eric made his way back to Columbine; back to a place of solace–refuge. He shook his head. It was Erika’s refuge.

He sat on the front steps of the cabin, enjoying the sporadic song of the birds and squirrels as he tore bits of muffin and put them in to his mouth. He looked down at what he was doing and swore. Girls ate muffins that way, tearing off pieces to savor each bite. Guys bit into them, wolfing them down and looking for more. He sank his teeth into the muffin taking a large bite and chewing it deliberately in a more masculine way.

It wasn’t long before he spied the ladies of Columbine chattering as they came up the trail. He slid off to one side of the steps so that they would be unimpeded in their entry.

“Hey, feeling better?” Samantha enquired.

Eric shrugged.

“Let me know if you need anything. Okay?” She made direct eye contact with him.

He may not still be in love with her, but she was still a vision to behold. Eric for lack of anything better to say, just nodded.

Samantha squeezed his shoulder as she passed and went into the cabin.

“Cramps getting any better, freak?” Rachel asked with actual concern in her voice.

“Rachel!” Dani and Phoenix both snapped.

“It’s all right,” Eric allowed. “She’s right, I am a freak.”

“She has no right treating you like that.” Phoenix glared at Rachel.

Eric caught Rachel’s hand and gave it a squeeze as she passed. Rachel was slightly startled by the gesture, but didn’t pull away.

“Get ready for the day.” Phoenix instructed the other girls shooing them into the cabin.

Phoenix stopped by Eric and held her gaze with concern. “Are you feeling any better?”

“I don’t know,” Eric answered honestly. “There is just so much going on in my mind. Part of me wonders if Erika is just a dream, another part wonders if Eric is the dream, or a nightmare.”

“I think they are both real–and both are right here, a part of you.” Phoenix put a hand against Eric’s heart. “I think they are both, who you are. Kind of like a house. Each house has different rooms; each room has a different use and a different personality. You just need to figure out what kind of siding you want; clap-board siding with gingerbread or hewn logs; maybe red brick? You know what I mean?”

“So Erika is the personality of some rooms and Eric others in the same house?” Eric asked for clarification.

Phoenix nodded with a smile.

“I just need to figure out what personality I want the exterior to represent, is that it?”

“It’s definitely a step in a direction.”

“We all have different rooms, and different exteriors. Look at Tricia, what kind of exterior does she have?”

Eric thought about it for a moment. “I think she is a pink and white Victorian with a white picket fence.”

Phoenix nodded. “I agree. What about Rachel?”

“Definitely a stone or brick house, strong, and sturdy but with some lacy curtains in the windows that only hint at her inner softness.”

Phoenix laughed softly. “Dani?”

Eric thought for a moment. “Tudor. Well-built. Steady, but a classic and elegant on the inside.”

“How about Krystal?”

“I see her kind of like a Victorian, but with muted colors and full of books.”

Phoenix nodded. “I see her as a library too.”

“What about me?” Katie asked from the door.

Phoenix and Eric both looked up; startled to see all of the girls standing there, listening in. smiles on their faces.

“Katie, I see you as a two story Ranch house,” Eric explained. “Timeless and simple. Maybe an oak tree out front and a field of wildflowers surrounding you.”

Katie beamed at the description.

“What about Victoria?” Tricia inquired. “What kind of house is she?”

Eric looked to Phoenix, then to Victoria. “Victoria’s a hard one. She can be like an adobe hacienda at times, formidable on the outside, comfortable on the inside. Other times, I see her as a contemporary house built of concrete and glass. Simple lines and bold colors, no nonsense.

Victoria contemplated that for a moment and nodded. “I can see that.”

“What about me?” Samantha whispered, almost afraid to ask.

“Samantha, I see you as a Southern Plantation house. All show on the outside, beautiful with elegant lines. Classic, brightly colored on the inside with parlors and studies up front, but rooms that need to be aired out and freshened up further inside.”

Samantha’s smile at the beginning of the description slid into a stiff stoic look.

Seeing the hurt, Eric tried to explain. “It’s the pain of losing Summer and not having time to repair and heal.”

Samantha nodded acknowledgement and turned away, back into the cabin.

“Okay, that’s enough of that.” Phoenix broke the silence that had fallen around them. “Victoria, what’s on the agenda for today?”

“Two games of kickball back to back, one against Fir, the other against Lupine followed by a game of softball against Daisy.” she listed. “After lunch we meet up with Grizzly Adams.” The girls snickered at the name. “Then it is free time for a while followed by swimming.”

“Well, due to the promising heat today, the whole afternoon might be spent swimming,” Phoenix notified.

“I know you want the day off, Erika, but I hope you’ll join us for the morning’s games. We really need your help,” Rachel pleaded.

“After what you’ve said to her and how you’ve treated her today?” Tricia raised her voice. “You’ll be glad we don’t gang up on you and give you a pounding.”

“It’s all right, Tricia,” Eric said getting to his feet. “I just want a day off from being all girly-girl. Not from being with my friends.”

“All right, Columbine; let’s go kick some kick-ball butt.” Phoenix encouraged.

* * *

Okay, I’d like to find out what kind of house YOU think Eric/Erika is.

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Think She/He Is Like A Duplex

jengrl's picture

I think Erika/Eric is like a duplex. On one side you have a unit with bright airy and open colors and on the other there is just plain white walls and rooms where the blinds block the sunlight from coming in. The Eric side is closed off and not open and warm like Erika's side, which is filled with sounds of laughter and friendship. It is friendly and inviting while the Eric side is frequented by vandals who ruin the sense of security in the home on a constant basis. I hope Erika remodels the unit and makes it one complete home because it is a much happier place to be.

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

I think Jen here....

Hit the nail on the head with that description of Eric/Erika with one exception Eric's side is black and in a state of disrepair, showing the damage form vandals.

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Very good chapter, Anastasia

KristineRead's picture

I'm not that good strong at home styles, so I don't think I can answer your challenge, though I think Jengrl has done a good job.

Poor Eric, fought so hard to stay, and now is having a major identity crisis. It was inevitable I guess, this was not something he ever realized he might want.

He has lots of thinking to do, and I hope that the girls will be supportive. I don't think that Rachael meant anything, though it would have been nicer if she had said it differently.

Can't wait to see the next section..

Hugs,

Kristy

Not Understanding

Why Erika is having this second identity crisis. She is not under pressure from anyone now - if anything, she should be feeling relief that parent's day is over. The initial identity crisis earlier left and she solidly discovered who she was and she enjoyed her identity as a girl. I'm finding this second identity crisis, hewn to a dream contemplating being married off as a bride not solid enough to warrant how Erika is reacting.

Consider she already contemplated before to date and possibly marry Samantha (already knowing she was a girl inside.) Secondly, she is already somewhat attracted to Tricia. Thirdly, its already established she likes girls and would not consider boys (at least not in the forseeable future.) Fourthly, she had already broken down before and built up her girl persona and it was rather strong. SHE was strong enough to counsel and help others and accept doing everything as a girl. Fifthly, No trauma of the type to cause a mental breakdown and questioning of identity with analytic psychological behaviour has been demonstrated to cause this type of identity crisis (The parent's day thing had passed and Erika remained calm and collective throughout it all. The dream was too mild and not emotional enough to knock the personality Anastasia has penned in from Chapters 24 to present for Erika. Even the attempted rape scene, cabin pranks gone wrong, and diving board incident with the hospitalization inclusion DID NOT traumatize Erika to question her identity!)

I submit that this second breakdown is not natural and feels forced upon by the author's hand based upon the evidence I have cited. It doesn't mean its wrong for an author to do, it just feels unnatural to the reader and the reader can gleam the plot is being forced on a hard turn in one direction or the other without the characters actually taking their own direction and deciding for themselves (Every author knows that the characters come to life for them as they flesh them out and most stories go places the author never anticipated. That's when the characters feel natural and comfortable to the reader and seem real.)

I am mentioning this to point this plot problem out and not criticize the author's writing for the sake of her quality, which by the way is extremely well done!

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

I disagree Sephrena

After the stress of the previous day, knowing Eric/Erika has to go home as Eric, and throw in a dream. I think something like this is very reasonable.

Eric/Erika has not broken down. But he/she is really in a quandry. Example being leaving the forms on because they were comfortable. I know many people that have issues that apparently resolve, and then show up again.

Maybe you're just lucky to have not experienced this.

So, the potential plot issue you raise - may only exist for some of the fans of this story. Of course, I could be way off base. It wouldn't be the first time.

Annette

Don't see it that way Sephy

Frank's picture

This chapter read smoothly to me. The character who was never a girl before coming to camp. How long has it been a month camp time? No one is going to go from a boy to a girl (or girl to a boy) in a month. Especially not one with no gender disphoria prior to this. If he has become more girl than boy, he will still have many more identity crises over the years...

Great chapter AA, glad to see Eric questioning things and adding Phoenix as helper was really a nice touch since she's been there but really not thus far.

Hugs

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Who says Erika was Ever a Boy?

Mentally she seems to me to have been a closeted girl. Nothing of her demeanour or actions when she pretended to be male around others seemed very masculine to me from what I have read. Its just she actually got to be free to be herself while at Camp Kumoniwanalaya. Some people make the mistake of thinking just because the outer sex is male, the gender inside is as well. That is not true. There are many facets of gender.

So Erika is not shifting from boy to girl in gender - maybe in presentation outside, but inside, there is not much difficulty. The story explains Erika's love for Samantha is more troublesome to Erika than being a girl in the camp ever was. Go back and survey all these chapters presented and outside of the first breakdown in the bathroom - show me one traumatic event that threw Erika into an identity crisis. You wont find it and the dream sequence IS less traumatic than the other events Anistasia has presented thus far.
 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

On the Contrary, Sephrena...

"A closeted girl?" There's a significant distance between male discomfort and female presentation. We've no evidence at all that Eric ever looked wistfully at advantages he'd gain from being perceived as a girl -- on the contrary, the most one can say is that he didn't fight Samantha all that hard about it. And in doing so he's hardly the first male to allow a attractive girl that he'd like to know better to call the shots for him.

You're right about one thing: if this were just a question of outside presentation (as you're asserting), Eric wouldn't be having a problem now. It's the fact that this new role is NOT consistent with his self-image that's causing him severe second thoughts, especially now that his dream shows that his unconscious self seems suddenly to be fighting for the other side. Eric's losing HIMSELF, and is in desperate need of reassurance that accepting -- and more to the point, enjoying -- his camp role as Erika doesn't relegate his core as Eric to nonexistence forevermore.

It's an issue that Eric has to deal with; hopefully Phoenix is enough of a counselor to start making the process easier. She seems to be off to a good start here.

Eric

One More Point

Sephrena's comment: "Nothing of her demeanour or actions when she pretended to be male around others seemed very masculine to me from what I have read."

Hardly the case, IMO. Fighting back futilely isn't the only masculine way to face a problem. Retreating to someplace where you're in charge is neither masculine or feminine, as far as I can tell, and that's what Eric was doing with his webcomic. In fact, to the extent (which I'm not sure I'd want to argue) that control, redirected violence and ego are male traits, Eric was behaving consistently with his outer gender presentation: he had complete control over the characters in his strip, could take out whatever rage he was internalizing on the bad guys there, and was earning praise and encouragement from his readers/viewers.

OK, Eric wasn't macho -- though you might recall that he was prepared to join a summer baseball league if his parents would let him stay home. He wasn't the outdoor type -- but few people of his generation who get satisfaction from computers are. ("Nerd" is a male role.) Was he passive? Seems to me that he was more reclusive than passive.

Eric

Umm... pardon me but...

What exactly determines which act is "for a girl" and "for a boy," I've seen girls who act like stereo type men and vice versa mew. Yet they firmly identify as their cisgendered selves. There is nothing wrong with the things Eric does if Eric is erica or even not. I love this story because there is a transgendered possibility but the question is which? Gender queer? Transsexual? Bi-gender? Transvestite? Crossdresser? And also not all women are passive and I know of a VERY Nerdy girl too. I think the key is to stop worrying so much on Eric/Erica's gender and just enjoy the story mew ^^

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

True...

(I doubt that it needs to be said, but in the interest of clarity, "Eric", as used below, is Eric Martin the story character, not me.)

Sephrena was asserting that Eric's school behavior showed that he had been "pretending to be a boy". My point in tossing in details of his behavior was to show that even if Sephrena's logic were valid -- and I don't think it is -- Eric's behavior didn't merit that conclusion.

I am certainly not saying that gender stereotypes are universally or even generally valid (or any other stereotypes, for that matter). Yes, of course there are nerdy girls and passive men (and calm redheads and intelligent Poles and any other distinctions you want to make). I even said that I didn't want to argue the gender-specificity of the traits I was describing.

You say -- and I'm in full agreement -- that "there is nothing wrong with the things Eric does if Eric is Erika or even not." But that's not how Eric sees it, and that's his current problem.

Oh well of course

I was referring to Eric Martin and I agree with you, there really is no way to tell which side of the fence or even if it's just on top of the fence that Eric is going to be at. And I realize right now Eric is having a problem, I'm just saying whichever way this story goes, let's just forget about the kid's gender and let him figure it out for himself ^^

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

*shakes head*

Seena-chan I disagree mew, there is such a thing as bottling it up inside. And another thing everyone has some sort of identity crisis mew, even me with my solid identity, sometimes because of things I did I feel I don't belong mew. But then I remind myself that not to feel insecure, but if I am I guess the whole reason this insecurity thing is coming from because I keep losing people I love. So I wonder if maybe it's because I wasn't born a genetic girl that they see something in me that makes them hate me, but again it's all just ridiculous speculation mew. I'm just overthinking things I guess...

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

I Anticipated the Bottling Up

of emotions and considered a build up possibility - however, Anistasia did not make it clear nor was it presented as a possibility. I am not trying to tear a character up or the author. I'm pointing out no clear cause was given for this Second Breakdown. The suggested dream sequence is NOT sufficient in comparison with other trauma events Erika has been through.

I am just raising this issue so that the author can explore what has been written and where the plot may be headed to make it more clear to us in future chapters.

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

I too disagree Sephy

you only look for a trauma and a single cause, but that is wrong.
Eric was very tense for staying in camp since going back meant going back to being the plague. He was so focused on that that he had no time to think about if he really is a girl or not.
Now that he can stay that pressure is gone. His mind was free to explore and did that in the dream. The day before Eric would have been to preoccupied with staying in camp and would just have pushed the dream aside but now he had no such pressure. He and his mind had the time and space to sort through things. He suddenly felt save enough in camp to really look at the deal he had gotten and on what it may or may not mean.
I think Eric's reaction to the events are very natural.

As long as you fight against an obvious opponent its easy to just keep fighting without really asking you why you fight. But if the other side stops fighting back you need to ask yourself what you fought for. Was it the right thing to do and with the right means? What is if the fight starts again? Is it still worth fighting for or have things changed?

Thats what Eric is doing right now.

He is suddenly realizing that he never really asked why he fought for staying as a girl.

At first it was so he could be with Samantha, then to keep his friends but now? Are those valid enough points?
And who is he?
A boy who is playing a girl for certain reasons and what are those?
Or a girl with a male body who could finally be free but for the cost of her past?
But whats with all the Eric experiences?
Where those illusions?
Are there things worth keeping?
Would he be someone else if he embraced his girl side?
He never asked those questions before.
No he does.

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Eric/Erika's house...

Interesting questionn. Following the metaphor described, our protagonist lives in an unusual house.

Not sure if the oldest part is a mobile home, or just a small country shack, but it's there. Recently, a pretty country addition was added. Lacy drapes, bright and open. But that older piece is still there. The house has some rough edges. The old section has some pull, but the new is so comfortable.

Thanks for sharing this. Eric/Erika seems confused. Phoenix is finally doing what's needed, inserting herself, when one of her campers has a problem that can't be worked out.

The interaction with Rachel was interesing... VERY interesting.

Thanks,
Annette

Eric/Eriks Is A

Unisex log cabin ranch house. A two story mansion with full basement and attic with a four-car garage topped with a studio apartment. Because Eric/Erika has many rooms yet to be explored and untapped potential.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmmm, an edifice as a metaphor?

I guess right now, Eric/Erika is a split level house with darkened windows and locked doors in one part with the glow of computer monitors as the primary source of light, and large open windows with pretty curtains, to catch the free breeze, a comfy, inviting kitchen, and open doors in the other part. CaroL

CaroL

what kind of house?

I'm not exactly sure what kinda of house Erika is. I do know that what she used to be was like a brick house which was held together by nails.

That's basicly what Erik the plague seemed to be. ill fitted, put together the wrong way and thus always stepping from one disaster into another. Now that she found the proper cement to put between the bricks the house is shaping up quite nicely. its new though, and exciting, but also strange, unknown, scary... The same rooms she's been in a million times are suddenly new and unexplored, or rather never properly explored before.

Not quite the question that was asked, but my interpretation anyways.

Thanks for another great chapter, I'll once again wait patiently for more.

Love,
Amber

Remodeled House

terrynaut's picture

I think Eric is a small, square, very drab one story house that has since been extensively remodeled. The old house now forms the core of a much larger, three story modern house with many angles and interesting textures. The house stands alone on a large, grassy hill surrounded by a dark forest.

That's my take anyway. :)

I agree with one of the comments that Rachel's reaction is very interesting. I have to wonder if Rachel is attracted to Erika. I think they might make a cute couple.

Thanks and please keep up the good work. Okay? :)

- Terry

Eric/Erika & Tricia

“I think she is a pink and white Victorian with a white picket fence.”
Out the back is a HUGE workshop filled with hot rods because now days, both boys and girls can do anything,
Can't they ?
Eric/Erika will live with Tricia.!
Anyway, we won't get to THAT chapter for another 20 years i hope :-)
keep up the great work, Thank you Anistasia.

hugs from who

BookWorm

Erika's House

I think she's an old industrial barge converted into a houseboat, with a high-tech homey interior and an incomplete new paint job on the outside. She's started opening the blinds on her skylights to let a little sunshine in, but the windows are boarded up so no one can see in as yet. She's still somewhat adrift and seeking a home port.

I like that one

I think its very descriptive.

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

I don't think Eric/ka IS a house

Frank's picture

I think we have a frame, maybe some beams...on one side you can see some external damage done by vandals and maybe spraypainted nasty remarks. It will require a lot more work to put in the walls, the 2nd floor, finish the foundation...but the builder isn't sure which direction to build it so it's sort of stuck in just the framework stage.

Huggles

Frank

P.S. I bluffed my way through home building terms..apologies to handypeople everywhere!

Hugs

Frank

Seena-chan...

Real life is not some machine you can anticipate every move from mew. To me, in fact this story seemed more human and real than any other time with Eric/Erica's breakdown mew! I mean this kid has been through a lot, and in a short amount of time is not enough time for him/possibly her to figure out who they are inside mew!

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Erika

Is one mixed up kid.

Eric was disowned, disheartened and punished for no reason on a regular basis.

On the other hand, in the closed environment of the camp, Erika has found friendship and people whom she can trust, far from the life Eric has at school.

Of course Eric is going to revel in this new found freedom where he is not spat on, kicked or ridiculed, but as I said above--this is a closed environment--with the exception of a couple of trips into town where no-one knows him anyway.

The return to normality--the neighbourhood, the school and everything else that is home life--real life--is a far cry from anything that will happen, has happened or will have happened during his/her holiday.

It's likely that we have all had holidays where we have fallen in love with the idealism of being elsewhere--being someone else for the duration of a vacation.

The difference of course is that usually a holiday is nothing like real life and it cannot be said that the same carefree existence will await Erika upon her return.

Of course she's going to be confused.

Eric's mother's visit was a shot of realism in this otherwise surreal world and now he is awake or aware of the reality--it's bound to be a bit of a fright.

How can that be so difficult to understand?

NB

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Interesting point Nick

Frank's picture

Even if when he goes back to real life he presented as Erika and not Eric. If he went to a new school where no one knew him, he'd quickly see how nasty girls can be to other girls. It's not a new story if a cute girl moves to a new area and is seen as a threat to the existing girls has her life made hell. Not saying she wouldn't make friends female and male alike, I just don't think it would be a smooth and wonderful life like camp has been.

Hugs

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Finally I get to add my two cents....

But is Eric/a's house worth two cents? That is the question.

Hello Anistasia!!! ^___^ ;-D

Of course I would like to see the house get appreciated instead of depreciated. I think his house is at a cottage up in the mountains. It is modern with three bedrooms and two baths. He is less then an hour away from a good size town for supplies. He has an art studio to do his drawings and to post them on the internet with his satellite dish outside the home. He is not reclusive by any means. He just wants some peace and quiet. He is married to Trish and enjoying life finally to the fullest. With children on the way to keep them 'sane' and 'grounded'.... giggle...

Rachel

I see Eric/Erica as a Barony, with the castle ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... having both a Baron and a Baroness in residence. Baronies were lands located around the perimmiter of the kingdom to be the first line of defense of the kingdom, but also to be the receptionist for the kingdom (Columbine girls, family, good people) so to speak. Baroness Erica would be in charge of the outward look of the castle presenting a welcoming, nurturing, we care about our people this is a good place for friends to visit or come to stay place - until things got nasty and enemies come (Josh) then Baron Erica takes over to defend the castle and kingdom The look of the castle wouldn't change, but instead of tea time it would be kick ass time. (BFW, this is how I see Hillary Clinton.)

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

The kind of house

I see Eric as a rundown house in a good neighborhood, like the worst house on a nice street, with overgrown grass and some broken windows, trash in the yard.

It would take an imaginative mind to see the lovely house that once was there and could be there again.

And *that* house would be a suburban house, with a porch and a tree in the yard, maybe a willow. A small house, snug, not high or wide, but someone's little dream house.

Not so much a house....

PattieBFine's picture


   I see him/ her as more of a gothic structure, not intended as a home. To look at three of the walls, at least that are still looking mid-evil and castel-like with scary gargoyels having been mounted... around the upper stories... eaqualed in amount to each abuse he has suffered, and no windows to speak of... just one by the door to peek out at who approched. the dungeon is currently a converted art studio, however it's one with a computer prominantly displayed in it and a BIG ol' satellite dish is sitting on the roof that throws the whole image off. JAR-ING-LY!
    However! the front side has now had some holes cut in it for big new windows that have been installed with frilly style curtains, but backed by heavy black drapes that are only tied back out of view... But the gargoyels have been removed from it and stacked off to one side, but the forms to make some new ones to replace the ones removed is depressingly still sitting right there off the side of the front walk. Both style building materials are strewn about the place that has just been painted in brightly colored trim on white and had the renovations done to it to convert it to the fairy-tale castel of a princess and has new wellcoming flowerbeds and all installed. The front interior has been cleaned, aired-out and all new COMFORTABLE furniture is in place... the remainder still has old, hard-edged and uncomfortable furniture in it and it is cold deeper in there and a bit haunted still. The draw-bridge is down now and the gate for baring entrance has been compleatly removed... the way is now paved even... but alas...renovations have now ground to a halt... the people around the area just love the new look BUT!... the Contracter has just gone and asked the STUMPERS!

    Is this palace to be just for YOU?... or a king and queen? Two queens? fixed walls, or movable ones? OR WHAT!?

    Are we doing Guest quarters? Dance hall/ dinning areas, how big? Baths...? Lighting vs skylights? as the lower dungeon will be where all the gargoyels and such nasty things will be put, at leaste for now... the new design for the upper floors and decretive upper structures needs support planing to continue.. means basement work so... before we go filling the basment up with all the nasty stuff being removed... or do we just dis-mount and leave it for now?
   Or are we to assume that you will just pay a different contractor to have that stuff removed?

I never thought of people as houses ...

... but there is a first for everything I guess.

Eric(a) is a modest house in a nice neighborhood but it has been vandalized and that is still showing if you look closely. Then you would notice the fresh paint and the remodeling in parts of the house. You would see the curtains are brand new and nice looking in the big new windows on the front side. On the back you still see some spray painting and the fens has been broken and is still in bad shape and needs repair. From here you can also see that while some rooms have been remodeled there is still pain and wall paper lying around. The pain is of all colors as if the pinter did not know yet what he will need in the future. The renovated rooms seem at a glance just whites and pinks but if you look closer you see some bolder colors as well like a a middle blue and and greens.
There is also a big art studio on the back of the house that has not been used in a while and still needs to be renovated. All in all it seems like parts of the house are currently not lived in. Some rooms have a start of one style and then suddenly a different one.
Even the outside seems not quite finished and there is still blue outer paint standing around as if the house may yet to be repainted again.
However it seems clear that the person who lives there decided to renovate the whole house. The material is there just the planing is not all done yet on how the end will look.

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Not a house

I can't make my mind comparing her as a house. I think she is pretty comfortable in girl role, that she really enjoys it and could spend her life in that rule. But on the other side, she just has some hard time trying to cope with prejudices and social environment that tells her to be a man.

For me, it's not even that clear that she's attracted to girls only. The feeling seems too strong to come from inner realization. More like being attracted to guys might be a disaster (you are gay, and so on ...). At the beginning, when she had her date with Josh, I thought she would come being attracted to guys. When I read that chapter, I really felt that she enjoyed her date, except at the end when the mild took upon herself telling her that was a disaster.

Perhaps, she could have Matt as boyfriend, why not? She just has to accept that part of it, not trying to reject anymore, not trying to hang onto prejudices. In my opinion, there is a high chance that she becomes transseual after that and start a transition. It's clear that she's better as a girl than as a boy. Not only because of her school life, but how open she is as a girl.

It really echoes in me that way. What is sure, is that, like her, since I'm full time, I'm much more open to others, much more comfortable with myself, the society, and everything. More harmony everywhere.