Camp Kumoni : 53

Printer-friendly version


Tricia’s father smiled, understanding at Erika’s mother. “Believe me, when I first found out that my son wanted to be a girl, I was anything but calm."
Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
edited by Nick B
     
sunlitforest.jpg

Camp Kumoni Ch.53
 
 

“So, are you going to show me your cabin?” Mrs. Martin asked.

Erika looked at her mother hopefully. “Does that mean I can stay?”

“I haven’t made up my mind yet,” Mrs. Martin cautioned.

Erika led her mother up the trail along the cabins to Columbine.

“Have a nice walk?” Katie greeted exiting from the door.

Erika smiled. “Yes.”

“That is a wonderful trail. I can see why you walk it every morning.” Mrs. Martin agreed.

“Actually, starting tomorrow, we’ll be jogging it,” Rachel greeted from inside. “Come on in,” She added with a gesture of welcome.
 

~*~

 
Rachel hopped up on her bed and plugged into her head phones.

“Which bed is yours?” Mrs. Martin enquired taking in the tidy cabin.

“This one,” Erika said, patting her mattress. “Samantha is down here and Tricia is over there.”

“And you have a bathroom in your cabin?”

“It’s just a sink and toilet. We have to shower in the public showers.”

Her mom’s eyes got a bit big. “How do you work that out?”

“Come on down and I’ll show you.” Erika led her mother back out of the cabin and down to the shower building. She showed her that each shower was private and explained that She showers either before the other girls or after them, just to be on the safe side, and to make them feel more comfortable.

“Erika, Mrs. Martin,” Tricia called. “Leeza and I are going to the rope course. You wanna come?”

“Rope course?” Mrs. Martin asked.

Erika’s eyes lit up. “It’s really cool, want to go?”

Her mother nodded her head.

“Great!” she exclaimed, clapping her hands. “I’ve got to change into shorts and sneakers though.” Erika almost dragged her mother back up to the cabin. She pulled a pair of shorts and sneakers out of her suitcase and went into the bathroom to change.
 

~*~

 
Just as they were leaving the cabin, Director Hobbs’ sounded over the P.A. speakers, announcing that lunch was being served.

Erika smiled. “We can go after we eat. I didn’t eat too well this morning.”

The noise in the dining hall was even louder than normal as campers tried to speak with their parents. Parents met other parents, and parents met their kid’s fellow friends.

Sheila put out a spread to satisfy just about everyone’s tastes: Burgers for the carnivores, salads and veggies for the mothers and snack foods of various types to gratify most cravings.

“Mrs. Martinez?” Dani Inquired as she approached them dragging Derek with her. “I just wanted you to meet my boyfriend,” she said, stressing the last word. “If it wasn’t for Erika, he’d never gotten up the nerve to ask me out.”

Derek turned three shades of red, contrasting with his copper hair.

“Hello Mrs. Martinez.” Derek said nervously, forcing a smile through his embarrassment. “Your daughter is pretty cool. Not many girls as pretty as she is would have given nerds like me the time of day, let alone help me work up the courage to ask this pretty young lady out.” He looked down at Dani with adoring eyes.

“Yeah, she is something else.” Mrs. Martin agreed, smiling at the two.

“We’re going to go to the rope course after lunch. Do you want to join us?” Erika invited.

“My family will be here in a few minutes.” Derek shrugged. “I should really stay around so that they don’t wander all over the camp looking for me. My mom has a hard time getting around some days.” Derek pulled on Dani’s arm. “It was nice meeting you, Mrs. Martinez.” The odd couple exited the dining hall.

Mrs. Martin smiled after them. “They’re cute.”
 

~*~

 
Between bites, Erika explained that Derek’s mother and sister were both dwarfs and that he had been attracted to Dani since the first day of camp.

“Oh, crap.” Erika muttered under her breath. “Here comes Director Hobbs. Please don’t pull me out of here, mom.”

“Hello Erika.” Director Hobbs greeted. “Is this your mother?”

“Hello Director Hobbs. Yes, this is my mom. Mom this is Director Hobbs.” Erika introduced, forcing a smile that she didn’t feel. Her stomach was jumping so much she felt like she needed to go to the restroom.

“Before you leave today, Mrs. Martinez, I was hoping you’d come by my office. I really need to get some updated information.”

Mrs. Martin smiled. “Of course. Things have been so hectic lately at work and home that I’d forgotten to update you.”

“Great. I’ll see you then.” Hobbs walked away to greet another parent.

Erika let out a big sigh. “Thanks mom.”

Her mother looked sternly at her. “This doesn’t mean I’m going to let you stay. I still haven’t made up my mind.”

Erika changed the subject. “Shall we go to the rope course?”
 

~*~

 
Tricia and her family were already at the course, Leeza and Tricia had already donned their harnesses and helmets with the help of Skyler. Tricia’s mom and dad stood off to the side and watched as their daughters prepared to tackle the first of the rope courses.

“Hey there, Erika,” Skyler greeted. “Here to show you mom what a monkey you are?”

“I already know that.” Mrs. Martin chuckled.

“Oh, mom.” Erika protested. She joined Skyler as he assisted her into her harness.

“I think I’ll watch from down here.” Erika’s mother told her. She stepped over by Tricia’s parents and greeted them as they watched their two daughters climb higher into the trees.

Erika pulled the leather gloves on and raced over to the rope course and hooked into a safety line. She looked over to Skyler who nodded that he was ready. He would belay her on one of the higher more difficult courses. Erika jumped up to a rope ladder and began climbing.

Mrs. Patton smiled to Erika’s mom. “We understand through Tricia, that your Erika is a going through some tying times.”

Mrs. Martin was curious. “What trying times are you referring too?”

“That she is similar to our Leeza.” Tricia’s father stated. “It is a hard time to get through and I still have trouble sometimes understanding Leeza.”

“Doesn’t it bother you that my Erika is sleeping in a cabin with your daughter?” Mrs. Martin looked bothered.

“Tricia can handle herself,” Mrs. Patton chuckled. “You know, she thinks the world of Erika. Erika is just about all she has been talking about today.”

Mrs. Martin’s voice was taking on an agitated edge. “How can you be so calm about this?”

Tricia’s father smiled, understanding at Erika’s mother. “Believe me, when I first found out that my son wanted to be a girl, I was anything but calm. It took a couple of years of counseling and seeing how Leeza blossomed, to realize just how special she is and what she is capable of.”

Mrs. Patton waved to Tricia. “You know, Erika looks just like a younger version of you.”

“What do you know about Eric?” Mrs. Martin inquired.

“Tricia told us that this is the first time that Erika has tried living twenty-four, seven as a girl; that she is unsure about some things, but she is catching on pretty quick.” Mrs. Patton stated while watching her girls. “That she is very thoughtful and caring. She welcomed Tricia into her cabin with open arms after her cabin was destroyed during the storm; that she is courageous; that she stopped that one hoodlum from raping that cute cheerleader, Samantha.” Mrs. Patton looked over to Mrs. Martin. “That Erika is still trying to figure out who she is and that she is terrified of what you or your husband will do or say.”

“Did she tell you that Eric and that cheerleader hacked into the camp computer and changed his documentation or that they lied to the camp Director when he split his head open and had to go to the hospital? Did she tell you that Eric never told his father or I that he was going to camp as a girl? That I arrived at camp this morning to see my son and found out that he has been wearing makeup, skirts, falsies and living in a cabin full of girls, all of whom he has lied to?” Mrs. Martin stated; her face red with anger.

Mrs. Patton tried to soothe the situation. “Leeza did something very similar. Tricia did mention that you were meeting Erika for the first time today. It’s a huge, scary step.”

“Scary? How am I going to explain this to my husband? How am I going to go back to work and try to lead a normal life when my son is living as a girl?”

Mr. Patton wrung his hands “We went to family counseling at first. We joined a group for families of the transgendered. There is help out there, and I’m not saying it is easy, far from it. Our family was turned upside down after Leeza came out. We lost friends; neighbors moved away from us, pranks were pulled on our house as well as at work.” He described. “But when I see how much happier Leeza is; how she is doing something with her life and is excited about it, it helps put things into perspective.” He paused for a moment.

“Don’t misunderstand me, Mrs. Martin. I miss having my son. I miss the boy that I coached in little league; built go-carts with and went to baseball games with. I mourn grandkids I will never have and family get-togethers where many won’t come because they are uncomfortable with Leeza.” Mr. Patton paused and smiled as two campers passed by to harness up to go through the course.

“Now I look on the bright side, of things. My daughter Leeza, although she could never be any good at playing ball, has an appreciation for the game. It’s a blast taking my daughters to a game and cheering on the team. Instead of building go-carts with my son, I now work on car engines with my daughter who knows just as much if not more about engines than most men. I haven’t given up on grandkids either. I hope once Leeza finds the right guy, they will adopt a whole bunch of kids and I know that Leeza will be a great mom, full of love for each special kid that she takes in.” Mr. Patton ran out of steam at that point.

Mrs. Martin sighed. “It sounds like you’re settling with giving up an awful lot.”

“Perhaps, but I’m gaining a whole lot too. I’m closer with Leeza now than I ever was with my son. She talks to me–I mean really talks to me.”

“Isn’t that the coolest thing ever?” Erika interrupted from the end of the course. She unsnapped from the safety line and slipped out of her harness.

“Here’s my number.” Mrs. Patton said handing Erika’s mother a card. “Please feel free to call me anytime.”

“Thank you.” Mrs. Martin smiled.
 

~*~

 
Erika joined her mother having shed her gear. “I almost forgot to give you your present.”

“More surprises? I don’t know if my heart can take any more.”

Erika led her mother back along the trail towards camp. “So what were you and Tricia’s parents’ talking about?”

“What do you think?”

“And?” Erika asked.

“I’m still not comfortable with this… this Erika thing.”

“Oh.” Erika’s face fell. “Well, I should get your gift before we leave.”

She led her mother back to the arts and crafts area. Amber was there with several plastic totes full of items.

“Hi Amber.” Erika greeted. “This is my mom. We came by to pick up my stuff.”

“Hello Mrs. Martinez.” Amber greeted. “Erika, it’s over in that tote if you want to get it.” She turned back to Erika’s mother. “Mrs. Martinez, Erika has been incredible to watch bloom over the past few weeks.” She smiled. “When she first got here, she was like a bump on a log, moping around, jumping at the word ‘boo’, but over the past few weeks, I’ve really seen her come alive. She’s grown happier, smiles a lot more and it shows in her art work.”

Mrs. Martin was taken aback. “Thank you.

“Close your eyes, mom.” Erika said, coming up with both hands behind her back.

Erika watched as her mom sighed, and closed her eyes. Erika brought the mug out and held it for her mother. “Okay.”
Mrs. Martin opened her eyes to see a mug in Erika’s hand.

“We made these from leather, and its waterproof. You can even drink your coffee in it,” she explained holding it out for her mother.

Erika’s mother took the mug and held it up. Something looked to be carved into the outside of it. She held it up and took a closer look. Mrs. Martin blinked back tears. Carved on the mug between two flowers it read ‘I love you, momma.’

“We made these too.” Erika said holding another object. Mrs. Martin dabbed at the tears in her eyes to clear her vision and took a look. Erika held up a stained-glass candle holder.

“Wow, that’s pretty impressive.” Mrs. Martin exclaimed admiring the candle holder.

“Thanks Amber.” Erika waved as she and her mother walked back up towards Columbine cabin.

Mrs. Martin wasn’t watching where she was going. She was busy admiring the intricately soldered candle holder and thinking about the emotional, busy day.
 

~*~

 
“Mom?” Erika asked as they approached the cabin. “Can I at least say good bye to my friends before we go?”

Mrs. Martin looked up at her daughter. “Don’t worry about it. You can stay.”

“I can stay?” Erika was stunned. “I can stay? Really?”

“Yes. On two conditions.”

“What? Anything.” Erika’s face was aglow.

“Erika stay’s here.” She stated firmly. “You must come back from camp as Eric.”

“What’s the other?” Erika was afraid.

“That once you are home, that you see a counselor.”

“I agree, I agree. Thank you, momma.” Erika threw her arms around her mother’s neck and held on, crying tears of joy.

“Thank you.”

 


up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Conditions

A mostly positive chapter. That's good.

Very nice

Who gets to choose the counselor? Will it be someone that is TG friendly or will it be somone where the parents make sure that this counselor will drive Erica away?

I do so hope that the mother listened to Tricia's parents, calls them for advice and then makes a decision about a counselor. I see her mom as a negative person in this, and we do not even know the reaction of the father yet. That will either be the volcano that will be like Krackatowa (SP?) destroying everything, or it will be just a false rumble and some ground shaking which the family can build on and discover what life and happiness will be all about. My hope is in the latter of the two senarios.

Great story Anistasia, keep it up. Looking forward to your next installment. thank you for showing us that the mother does have a heart after all.

Will Hobbs finally tell the mom that she has known about Eric all along and they have been keeping an eye on him to make sure there is nothing innappropriate going on and that Eric, as Erika, has been a model girl, and should be allowed to pursue her dreams?

That would be a shock to mom's system wouldn't it? I bet Ms Hobbs probably will call Mrs. Martin, Mrs. Martin instead of Martinez. I have the dneaking suspicion she definately knew what was going on. Especially since Patricia knows.

Great Job
Joni W

I agree.

Jezzi Stewart's picture

I, too, have felt that Hobbs has known about this - perhaps not from the very beginning, but soon after.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Conditions II

AA: Very positive chapter but it's ashame that she/he has to go home as Eric. But sounds likely she/he gets the counseling she needs though! Richard

Richard

conditions, sure,

laika's picture

but considering mom just found out about this it's an amazingly hopeful outcome.
Better than the Homer-Simpson-hands-around-the-neck, "I'll transgender YOU-"
(Ack! A-a-ack!) sort of reaction that many parents would have. Circumstances
have really smiled on Erika, working in tandem to help soften Mom up.
~~~hugs, Laika

Growing up in the 50's

My step father's reaction was to beat me half to death amid copious amounts of taunting and ridicule.

'Bout normal.

Gwen

Wow...

Eric/a has an amazing mom! You've painted her VERY well. I'm not surprised Eric/a accepted the conditions... I just wonder how easy it'll be to go back to being Eric, to return to HIS house. The counceling, I expect that.

Thanks for so much of interest... Now we have to "finish" the summer, don't we. . .

Thanks,
Annette

Well, I Can Understand The Conditions, But

I hope that Mrs. martin listens to Leeza's parents and choses Leeza's group. I think that Samantha and Veronica should go to as they are Erik's friends. I also hope the she supports Erik or he just might copy his friend Summer's way of dealing with life.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well she dodged another one...

KristineRead's picture

I'm sure that we will now have to start worrying about what daddy will say, since the mother is going to have to tell him.

Erika's trials are hardly over. But she will get to spend the rest of the summer at camp. Eric may have to come home, and counselling will happen, but we all know that if Eric is truly Erica, then no counsellor will succeed in stamping it out of her, except by driving her into deep depression.

I suspect that mother will be speaking with Mrs. Pearson.

Erika won't be leaving her stuff at camp, I think that Samantha will have it for her, when she wants it.

Great story! Now in the next chapter, we are going to have to have a serious cabin discussion with our dear cabin leader about her knowing all about it the whole time!

Hugs,

Kristy

I had not expected this.

Anastasia, you surprised me on this one. I really like your writing style, and now I can see a future for Erica. Color me dumb, but I do not remember Leeza in the story. Guess I'll have to go find her.

I really like the idea of younger kids addressing this whole issue.

Gwen

Re: Leeza's not a camper...

Leeza is actually Tricia's OLDER sister, who transitioned and had her SRS already.

Looking up

terrynaut's picture

This was another nice chapter. I saw lots of hope in this one. It had to be difficult for Erika's mother but I think that made the ending more satisfying. Erika can stay! Hurray!! :)

I'm not sure about the first condition for staying. Won't Erika have a little trouble going back to being Eric? She'll have a hard time shaking her firmly ingrained feminine mannerisms. She'll also still have a feminine haircut to deal with. I'm sure she'll have a lot of mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Thanks and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

crossing back

I think that of all the things that will need to be undone, the biggest hurdle will be tan lines. I'm not sure how severely they plucked Erika's eyebrows, but they could be even more noticeable than her hairstyle. Even if Eric is the one who goes back to school, I think it will be tough hiding all the evidence of Erika from Dad, especially as Eric walks around the house covered in itchy stubble everywhere.

The tin man says "I need a heart"

And mom replies, "Yes I do have a heart." But dad?!?! That remains to be seen if he does have a heart.

Hello AA!! ^___^ ;-D

Thanks for another great chapter. Yes, the mother needs more information on the situation. At least she got some input from Leeza's parents in actually dealing with it. That is probably more than most what some parents get out there in the real world.

I kind of figure that mom would want Eric back for the trip home and to get some counseling afterwards. Besides we still need to deal with the bozos at his school and see what can be done to 'educate' them. Hopefully Eric will find a solution to stand up to them and 'bust them'. That's a slightly evil thought there. 'Bust them'...giggle...

Have a great week everyone. Waiting patiently for the next chapter. Now we'll have to wait and see what Director Hobbs has to say about the matter. No, I will not lose sleep on this one... giggle... I refuse to have any anxiety attacks this time.

Rachel

A great chapter. Erika's Mom

A great chapter. Erika's Mom seems to be seeing some light but it will probably be a tough go for Erika and her Dad. I agree that her friends that know about her should go with her to the counselor at least once so they can show support and voice their own views about Erika. Hopefully, Erika's Mom and Dad will contact Leeza's parents and get involved with them so they can see how to help their new daughter. Humm, a leather coffee cup, how interesting is that? J-Lynn

Leather Drinking Vessels

Leather drinking vessels go back to the "dark ages". I have a Leather Jack tankard, the design of which dates back to the seventeenth century and the English Civil War—started in 1641. It is lined with brewers pitch to stop it leaking and it holds 2 Imperial Pints (40 fl. ozs). I used it regularly when doing ECW reenactments with the Sealed Knot. Beer tasted splendid from it, but I never tried it for tea or coffee for fear of softening the pitch lining. The picture shows a typical "leather jack" that would be found in use from mediæval times to the late 19th century.

jeatherJack.jpg

BTW Great chapter, A.A. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Gabi.

If you are interested in leather drinking vessels see http://www.hidebound.co.uk/

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Been away

After been away for a long time, I was happy to see there were new chapters for this captivating story. I've read them all now and I was not disappointed. I think the reaction of "mom" is pictured very believable.

One inconsistency I noticed regarding Dani and Derek. First, Dani is gushing that Derek lives rather close to her, later she's staying with Derek to greet his parents when her parents are not coming because they live too far. Am I supposed to assume the "too far" limit is somewhere between the two houses who are "rather close" ?

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Another Jewel

A.A. this is another beauty of a chapter. It sounds like mom is starting to come around and hopefully dad will when/IF he finds out. Keep up the wonderful artwork

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Dad

I foresee there is going to be problems with her dad. It looks like her mom may come around.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

a reprieve

good.

DogSig.png