Pen Pals : 13

Printer-friendly version

Pen Pals
by Anistasia Allread
of the Pen Pal Continuum

Hello again from St. George, the hottest place on Earth.

I am like a fish totally out of water here. Most people in this sand trap don’t know ANYTHING about hockey. Apparently the only sports that go on around here is baseball and golf.

Apparently there are something like 23 golf courses here and who knows how many baseball fields. It seems like you can’t drive more than a block or two without seeing either a golf course or a baseball field. Don’t get me wrong, I like baseball, but not to the degree that these people do. Back in Seattle we’d go to our share of Mariner games or even Aquasox games (Aquasox are one of the Mariner farm teams).

My brother Jack told me once that golf was a walk through the park spoiled by a little white ball. Around here, you can’t even walk through them unless you have a little white ball which is too bad, since the golf courses are like green oasis in this orange sand and rock quarry. One of the neighbor girls down the street came by and asked if I wanted to play a round with her. Her name is Mary. Fortunately I already had plans. I told her that I would like to some other time though. I just moved here, I don’t want to be a snob or anything. Now I just need to figure out how to hit the ball with out making a total fool of myself. The only good thing was that IF I were to golf, I’d have to buy a new wardrobe, and Mary was wearing a cute outfit. Another plus about golf is that I wouldn’t need to wear a helmet or worry about team showers or anything.

I’m really finding out how different this place is. In Seattle, Everyone lived indoors. On sunny days EVERYONE was outside, gardening, soaking in the sun or just hanging out. Here, everyone goes outside in the evening after it starts to cool off. People almost live on their back patios in the evening. I can see why, it is pleasant at dusk, feeling some residual heat radiating from the patio and seeing the starts starting to pop out at night.

I’m glad you all seemed to have a good Forth. Daddy packed us all up and drove us to Vegas. It didn’t get us out of the heat, but they have nice pools and it was fun watching the eye-candy. I just wish I was old enough to drink, and or gamble. Mom and Daddy, did order me a drink every once in a while, but mostly if we’re already in our hotel room or somewhere else private.

Well, I guess I’ve bored you enough for now.

Can’t wait to read everyone else’s blogs

<3 <3 <3 *Star* <3 <3 <3

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A bit of trivia, I suppose

Oh, Wow! I saw the opening line and immediately recalled a 19th century song, "St. George and the Drag-On".

One of the verses goes:

The sun is so scorching hot it makes the water sizz, sir.
And the reason it is so hot, is just because it is, sir.

and the chorus:

Mesquite, soap root, prickly pear and briars:
St. George ere long will be a place that everyone admires.

Deni