When among Dragons... Chapter 7 Family history

Printer-friendly version

When among Dragons... Chapter 7 Family history

by Machara and Chryos Stormwing

Special thanks to
my love Chryos who creates this with me,
Gabe as my editor and friend
as well as Sammi for ideas

Instinctively, Garrus let out a low growl the likes of which none around had ever heard before coming from… anyone. With his eyes wide open, Garrus looked at the creature.

“The fuck?”

Horst flinched back a bit, almost physically struck, but then recovered himself - his aura, however, seemed somewhat deflated.

“I'm sorry, both of you…”

He sighed.

“I thought of telling you for the longest time, but I chose to keep you out of this… complicated part of my life.

Having sensed that you, Garrus and Drew, have manifested, however, I thought it necessary.

More for your own sake…

I would understand it if you rather not have contact with me, but I thought you might need some help regarding your new situation.”

“I… we…”

Garrus looked around at Hera for a moment, then back at … his father? He considered that weird yet strangely familiar form of his. His expression was still somewhat wary, but mostly confused now.

”You…”

Garrus recognized his voice after all, though it did seem a bit distorted.

“Complicated part of your life? You mean the one not involving having two separate relationships without even the courtesy of letting them know of each other?”

Garrus just goggled at his Father. He was taken by some form of rage bubbling up inside him but was able to control it, for now.

”Explain. Yourself. NOW.

And if you even so much as try to come off as high and mighty, you will know the meaning of personal vendetta.”

There was no shred of doubt about the sincerity of Garrus’ words left in his entire being. His eyes were fixated on him with a boring, piercing glare. It was almost like he was being driven… controlled by that rage instead of his rationality. It was like taking a back seat and just watching. But then it snapped again and he was back in control.

“I have no idea what that was just now… but I suggest you heed that warning. Seeing you appear out of thin air? I have no idea what I’m capable of… willingly or otherwise.”

The door slammed open. Marian stood in the doorway, Drew behind her. She looked around, seeing … HIM … flinched, having a mind to run from the room, but shock held her in place. She then saw the rest of her growing family on the bed - Hera had moved to sit beside Garrus’ left in the meantime - and looked between the two parties. For a long while, everything just stayed still. A pin dropping would have been audible.

Finally, Drew’s voice was heard.

He looked towards Marian in astonishment and saw the anger on her face. Then he turned back to Horst, and back to Marian again. That look of confusion, then recognition, then horror on her face.

Drew roared, and with it, Horst was thrown back against the wall in one short burst.

Everyone twitched as they felt the outburst. Then there was silence again.

After a few moments, crying was heard. Drew stood there, his hands quivering and his eyes shimmering. His sobs quieted down quickly and he stared at his hands in confusion. He had felt some force inside him, and as it vented outside, he had seen Horst being pushed towards the wall. He then looked at Horst again in anger, a finger pointing at him, venom in his voice.

“This, if you have not guessed it, Marian, is your EX-Boyfriend.

And he owes us all an explanation… and an apology.”

Horst sat there, his legs flat on the floor, his back pressed against the wall. He was shocked himself, at first. Then, looking at each of the family members he had lost, he slumped over and tears started rolling down his cheeks.

Having calmed a little, Drew flopped down on the bed closely to Garrus’ right, feeling drained. Marian sat on the only chair in the room as the bed was rather full, already.

Horst tried to pull his head up again, but only managed partly. His face was contorted in sorrow, pain, and remorse. As he started talking his voice was quivering, husky, and in a tone that none of them had ever heard.

“I am ashamed and sorry. But none of my apologies will suffice, even though I will try to do so.

I lived a normal life, back when I was still 20. I had just met Hera, and I fell in love with her.”

He looked at her with a smile, but also regret.

“I still love you, Hera.”

His gaze drifted to Marian who stood beside the bed on which Drew had found a place to sit on, closely beside Garrus.

“… And you, Marian.”

Then, he continued his tale.

“We got together… and life was good. Then in 81, the mutant retrovirus hit. As opposed to the public opinion and knowledge, a very select few already manifested then and I was one of the very few. Our condition is similar but not identical to the mutants of later generations, the main one being that it affects the way their children manifest - IF they do.

I was young and stupid then, and I chose not to tell Hera. It was hard for me and I think she felt me being more distant. I had a lot to digest and learn. I originally did it because I was both scared anyone would find out, but also drunk with the power it gave me as I learned to control it over time. Soon we had you, Garrus, and life went on. I tried to be a good father, but I was still so consumed by what I had become and only later realized what I had missed out on.

After a few years, I was able to use some of my abilities to help with my work. My ability to sense how others felt helped me rise in the ranks of my corporation. As I started in the research department partly through the aid of my abilities, work at my company got more involved and was more demanding and time-consuming. That was another reason why I was rather distant towards Garrus and Hera. As I started to travel frequently for my work, the ability to teleport that I mastered by then helped me there, too. Though I still used airplanes between America and Europe, as the distance is just too much.

Around that time and as part of my new role as a senior bio lab technician and researcher I traveled to speak on behalf of my company to other companies and even universities. But I also initiated sales talks with interested clients where my empathic talent helped me facilitate deals and anticipate and accommodate client’s wishes.

At one guest lecture, Marian approached me as a medical student at the University of Vancouver. We got to talking and occasionally spent time together. I think it was initially just Marian who felt for me, and I never considered I could fall for another woman and did not look out for my own feelings. When I realized I felt the same, it was too late and I was infatuated.

He now looked to Marian again, with a smile of affection on his face.

“Being empathic, I knew how you both really felt. I knew you loved me. Having learned much about emotions I usually knew my own as well, and I knew I loved you too. And that deepened our relationships.”

He sighed, pausing, trying to remove the tears from his cheeks, but they started rolling down again.

“I knew I should choose, end it with one of you. At that time, work life had become particularly hectic, and it distracted me for a while, causing me to postpone my decision.

But my feelings had deepened during that time, and I learned that Marian was now expecting… And I could not make that decision. I did not want to ruin either family, either of my kids’ futures. And yes, I was selfish, as well. I had become dependent, it was like I fed on your emotions.

So, I did nothing, aside from trying to learn from my mistakes when I helped raise Drew and be a better husband to my wives. I knew I was not faithful to them in a monogamous way, and that ate at me, but I tried to make up for that by listening to them more and being there for them. At least whenever I could be present.

But then, after more than a decade since Drew arrived, my life took another turn.

The mutant aspect of my life became bigger. My company found out about me being a mutant, but instead of firing me, or making my life hell, they made use of me. They now had other mutants working for them, and a new branch was created, dealing specifically with mutant biology, much of which was dealing with mutant clients. We even had a division I loosely worked with that dealt with mutant law, typically when it came to biologic aspects. In addition to managing the section, I was also asked to train a team of other mutants. To observe them and see whether the new ones were stable enough for our company, and to get them stable if they were not. Of course, mutants trusted other mutants more, which helped with mutant clients. This caused me to travel much more, as well. I regret that it caused me to be so preoccupied that I lost touch with you all. That is why I grew more distant, along with the guilt I had to live with that I could not choose, and still not tell you about my being a mutant. Many of the mutants in my company are also not registered with the PAX, it being an advantage for business, so that was another reason why I could not tell you. I was actually not allowed to tell you, by that time.

And so, we finally arrive at the present.

With you finding out of my …. two… or even three lives, finally, in a way.

The pain I caused in all of you, and the hate… feeling all of that actually crushed me. I could not work anymore. I had to quit work.

I am so sorry for all my wrong decisions, or those that I avoided.

But I knew then, with Garrus and Drew manifesting, that I finally needed to tell you. Not only to offer you my help in dealing with your changes but also to finally apologize for all that I did.”

Horst looked tired and defeated now, leaning against the wall again, his arms supported on his knees. He just looked at all of his family, in turn, with an expression that seemed empty and drained.

For a while… it might have been minutes, or quite a bit longer, Garrus just stared at him. An unmoving mask of stone that had become his face, hiding emotions and thoughts. His whole mind was in turmoil that was raging on, and he was not even sure what he felt, but looking around the room, it seemed like he was not the only one.

Much too early for it all to have sunk in completely — then again, how much time would one need for that much to sink in? — Garrus got up surprisingly nimble and walked over to him, standing right before him as he looked down.

“Leave. Now.

Return tomorrow. If you have appointments you will make the time for us. If you're held back by unexpected circumstances you will make those circumstances go away and come here.

There is much to discuss. But also, much to… stomach.

Clearly, you're not the man we thought you were. Do not expect acceptance of your… apology. But I for one will want to talk to you more. Then. Tomorrow. Same time, same place.”

The same piercing eyes that were locked on his father when he had arrived had now returned as Garrus stared at him, waiting for his reaction.

Horst looked back at Garrus, fear showing on his face for the first time.

He finally nodded and stood up. Before leaving the room, he nodded at everyone in it, with love and uncertainty in his eyes.

Everyone in the room remained silent and stunned, but after a few minutes both Mothers also left.

Drew remained sitting, watching Garrus, his harshness and commanding air unnerving him. He had half a mind of just leaving, being somewhat afraid now, he still felt stunned, but a certain tug towards Garrus kept him from getting up.

He also felt that he needed some space, so Drew shuffled back against the wall and to the edge of the bed, his knees drawn against his chest, which he held with his arms. For a long while Drew just looked down, staring at the blanket. Then he nervously glanced at Garrus.

After he had watched his father leave the room and it had grown rather quiet again, Garrus wondered where it was that he was going. He wondered whether he had made a mistake. And how this life kept spiraling out of control. Then again, control was always just an illusion, was it not? All those thoughts left Garrus somewhat dizzy and he returned to Drew and sat on his bed. Slowly, similarly to his half-brother, he had drawn his legs up to his chest.

In the other room, the two mothers were concerned about leaving both in the same room but ultimately thought it best to leave them be for now. Maybe, they argued, it would help them come to terms with what had just happened. That was a far bigger issue anyway, and they found they needed the comfort their closeness brought as well as the need to cry and talk.

Garrus finally looked up and at him, just as Drew glanced over at him.

“Hey… how are you holding up?”

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That feeling

Podracer's picture

- Garrus' reined-in fury. It is truly scary and strangely energising. It was a long time ago..

"Reach for the sun."

Same for me

It's nice to be able to evict emotions from others.
That chapter still does it to me, re-reading and reviewing it again, also the emotional part of Horst's life.
I felt intimidated when Garrus reacted that strongly. I hadn't expected that but it showed more of who Garrus really is. I liked it.