The Guardians - The Awakening - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Steven had suffered the loss of his two best friends in the last month, and was plotting the revenge of the person he blamed as his final act in this world. Then a mysterious woman enters into his life and offers him a chance for redemption and salvation for those that he lost.

The Guardians – The Awakening
Chapter 2

By Rebecca Jane
Copyright© 2017 Rebecca Jane
All Rights Reserved.


Author's Note:Thank you so much for the kind words so far, I hope this chapter lives up to the first. I’m almost finished with the 3rd chapter, and hopefully it will be up by this weekend. ~Rebecca


 
 
Chapter 2

 

That morning in the hospital, Dr. Raphael was making her rounds in the ICU, as she was checking on her patients, one concerned her more than the others. The seventeen year old had been brought in a week and a half ago after being in a severe car wreck, unfortunately drugs had been found in her system along with a small amount of alcohol. The girl had been in extremely bad shape, had it not been for her being in the ER that night, there was no doubt the girl would have died. As it was, it was still extremely touch and go, but at least she was no longer in danger. The girl was making a miraculous recovery, now it was just a waiting game. She had been kept sedated since they started working on her, her injuries had been severe enough there was a fear she could injure herself further if she attempted to move. Dr. Raphael had taken her off the sedatives late last night, so now it was all in the girls hands.

A few hours later the girl began to stir, one of the nurses alerted the Dr. and within minutes Dr. Raphael was by the girl’s side. She gently brushed what was left of her hair away from her eyes, concern written plainly on her face. Due to a head injury sustained in the crash, there had been significant swelling on her brain, and she had been rushed into emergency brain surgery to relieve the pressure. The entire right side of her skull had been shaved, and the rest of her beautiful blonde hair had been cut some, but her bangs were still just long enough to lay over her eyes.

Without any warning the girl opened her eyes, but the bright light of the room caused her to immediately shut them again. The pain in her head caused her to whimper softly.

Dr. Raphael immediately noticed and quickly dimmed the lights some, gently she asked, “Is that any better?”

The girl hesitantly reopened her eyes, while the light still caused her some discomfort it was much better. While her vision was a bit blurry she could make out the brunette in the Dr.’s coat wearing a stethoscope around her neck. She tried to speak, but her throat was so dry and raw she could barely make a sound.

The Dr. had prepared for that, so she picked up the cup of ice she had brought in and gently fed the ice chips to the girl, “Don’t chew or swallow these, just let them melt to moisten your throat.” The girl slowly nodded, and the Dr. continued to feed her ice for the next few minutes until the girl was ready to try again.

She croaked out, “Where am I? What happened?”

The Dr. told her, “Sweetie you’re in the ICU, you were involved in a car wreck. You were hurt pretty bad, but you’re going to be okay. You’ve still got a ways to go, but you’re on the mend and out of trouble at least. ”

The girl smiled, and whispered, “Thank you Dr. uhh… I don’t know your name…”

Dr. Raphael laughed, “Oh sorry about that, I’m Dr. Jessica Raphael, but just call me Jessica… Or even Jess, that’s what my friends call me.”

The girl softly giggled, although the action caused her a momentary wince of pain. A moment later she recovered and replied, “Okay Jess, it’s really nice to meet you… You probably already know, but I’m… Umm… I’m…” The girls forehead wrinkled up in concentration as she tried to stammer out her name, the concern on the Jess’s face was apparent. The more she tried to think of her name, the more her head began to hurt, finally she whimpered, “I can’t remember… Why can’t I remember my name?”

Taking the girls hand in hers, Jess tried to console her, “Easy, its okay. You had a really hard blow to you’re head, your memory is probably just a bit rattled okay.”

The girl nodded, but gripped the Dr’s hand firmly. There was just something calming about holding her hand.

Jess softly asked her, “With your memory shaken like it is, I do need to ask you a few questions okay?” The girl nodded, afraid what else she might not remember. “Okay you’ve been unconscious for over a week, so I wont ask you what day it is… Do you remember what year it is?”

Nodding the girl said proudly, “Yes I do! It’s two thou… Wait… No that’s not right… It’s… uhh…” She then burst into tears, while shaking her head vehemently. “I don’t know… What’s wrong with me?”

Really concerned now, Jess gently took the girl and hugged her until she stopped crying. When tears stopped she let her gently lie back down. Jess then asked her, “Can you tell me the last thing you remember?”

The girl thought for a moment, “I remember being in a room, talking with someone… There was a loud noise coming from the door, like someone was kicking it in… After that, I remember an explosion… Then I woke up here… What year is it?”

“It’s nineteen-eighty-six…”, Jess told her.

Confused, she responded, “That doesn’t seem right… Shouldn’t it at least feel right?”

“I honestly am not sure… That’s what year it is though… Do you remember anything before that incident?”, Jess asked. The girl shook her head no. “You don’t remember getting into the car?” Another no. “Okay… The someone you were with in the room, can you describe them?”

The girl frantically tried to remember that one memory that she did have, but the harder she tried to picture the person with her, the more the memory faded until there was nothing left. She burst into tears again, now almost hysterical.

Jess then moved to her side, “Shh its going to be okay… Try and calm down… I’m going to give you something to relax.

The girl wasn’t paying any attention to her anymore, trying so hard to remember something, anything, was causing her head to start throbbing. She didn’t notice the Dr. start messing with her IV like she was putting something in it, then felt the doctor put her hand on her arm soothingly. Moments later the girl fell into a light slumber. Had anyone been in the room and was paying attention they might have seen Jessica’s brown eyes momentarily flash gold for half a second right before the girl fell asleep.



She slept peacefully until later that evening, when she was pulled out of her nap by two voices talking outside her room. She immediately recognized one as Jess, her doctor, and the other one, while familiar, she couldn’t place it. She lay there keeping her eyes closed, just listening to the two voices trying to place the other one.

She heard Jess say, “I don’t want to worry you, certain memory loss is not all that unexpected with head trauma. She took not one but several blows as the car tumbled… I don’t know to what extent her memory loss is, or how much she will regain…”

The other voice fearfully asked, “How bad is it? Is she going to be okay?”.

Jess answered, “It might be total… She can’t remember her name, the accident, or anything prior… She might just need something that will spark a memory, and the rest could come flooding back…”

“What if they don’t?”

Jess softly said, “There is a chance she might not regain any… I want to think positively, though… She’s healing, her body is healthy, physically she is going to be fine. No matter if she remembers or not, she is going to need you and her friends to help her…”

“Okay… Can I see her?”

Kindly, Jess told her, “Yes of course, she was taking a nap, but lets see if we can wake her.”

A moment later Jess led an older blonde woman in and immediately she could place the voice, “Mom!!!” She started to sit up, and while her body still hurt, she managed. Her mother came rushing to her side and sat down on the bed and grabbed her daughter in a hug.

“You remember?!?” Her mother asked.

“I don’t know… I remember you… I feel like I’d never see you again…” she softly sobbed while clutching her mom tightly.

Jess looked on at mother and daughter hopefully, she hoped that would trigger the young girls memories. She asked, “Do you remember anything else?”

Letting go of her mom, her forehead wrinkled as she thought hard… As another tear started to form, she shook her head. “No I don’t…” She then looked back at her mother and softly said, “But I remember something, and that’s way more than I had before…” Her mother grasped her once again, more softly this time.

“I’m just glad you’re going to be okay sweetie, that’s all that matters right now.”, her mother said still hugging her.

“How am I going to be okay, if I can’t remember anything…How am…” she started to say before her mom interrupted her.

“None of that matters right now, you are still here… The rest we will figure out okay?” Her mom said trying to soothe her.

The girl just nodded, after a moment she asked, “Can you at least tell me what my name is?”

Jess looked surprised, “Did I not? Oh I’m so sorry…”

Her mother smiled at the Dr. to let her know it was okay, then she looked back at her daughter, “We named you Annabelle Marie, but you’ve been going by Belle since you were six…”

Surprised that while the two names sparked another memory, that memory wasn’t about her. The name, like the year, didn’t ‘feel’ right… After a moment she remembered something else, “You named me after both my Grandmas, right?”

Surprised her mom asked, “You remember then?”

Sadly, Belle just softly said, “I remember them… But not me…”

After a moment of uncomfortable silence, her mother said, “You will…”

Belle whimpered, “But what if I don’t…”

Grasping her daughter in another hug, she whispered in Belle’s ear, “Then we’ll just make a lot more memories okay…”

Nodding in her mothers embrace, Belle softly said, “Okay…”

The two sat there in their embrace for several minutes, Belle just clutching her mother, and for right now, her most important memory.

Finally Jessica cleared her throat softly, “I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but visiting hours in the ICU were over twenty minutes ago. Don’t worry though, Belle will be moving to a regular room in the morning, and the way shes recovering she should be home in a few days.”

Her mother let go of Belle, but not before kissing her on the cheek. She looked to Jess and told her, “Thank you… For everything… I don’t know what we would have done if…”

Jess put her hand on Mrs. Riley’s arm, “You don’t have to thank me, she’s going to be okay. We all will see to that.”

Belle though she saw Jessica’s eyes flash as her Mom instantly seemed to relax. She shrugged it off as her eyes playing tricks on her, she told her mom, “I’ll be okay, I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Her mom reassured her, “Yes I’ll be waiting in your room when you get there.”

Mrs. Riley thanked Jess again and even gave her a hug before she left.

After the door closed Jess came and sat next to Belle and asked her, “How are you doing?”

Belle smiled sadly, “I’m okay… I guess… I just wish I could remember…” She paused to think a moment before her smile grew bigger, then she said, “I remember my Mom though, so that’s gotta be something.”

Jess smiled, “Yes it is… How are you feeling physically?”

“Better, I’m still sore, but I don’t hurt near as bad as I did when I woke up…” Belle told her.

Jess softly told her, “You’re making a miraculous recovery, but you still need your rest. You’ll be going home in no time. Just lie down and try to rest.”

Belle laid all the way down and smiled at the young doctor, “Thank you for everything Jess.”

Jess smiled and as she leaned over to kiss Belle on her forehead, which Belle realized was not usual for a doctor, “You are most welcome young one.” No sooner did Jess’s lips touch her forehead, Belle was sleeping peacefully. She sat there and stared worriedly at her young patient, before a voice brought her out of her thoughts. It would have startled her had she not been expecting it.

“How is she doing Doctor?”

Sighing, Jess replied, “She’s sleeping, and healing well… I’m worried Michelle… This isn’t what was supposed to happen…”

Michelle, standing there in a nurses outfit, agreed, “I know, she wasn’t supposed to be in an accident, let alone amnesia, let alone everything else… How bad is it?”

Jess stood and faced her old friend and comrade. “It’s bad, if not worse… She has bits of her memories, but I’m not sure if those memories are from… before… Or if she’s remembering this life…”

Confused Michelle asked, “She shouldn’t remember anything from Steven’s life… How is that possible?”

Jess looked at her, “She shouldn’t have been taking drugs or drinking alcohol either!” Jess then sighed, “You’re guess is as good as mine… I’ve tried to look past to see what caused the accident, and I couldn’t sense it… Let alone the previous few years of her life… It’s as blank to me as it is her…”

Michelle paused for a moment in concentration as a grave look came across her face before she said, “Neither can I… That’s not good…”

Jess asked, “There is something else that’s wrong too. From her blood work she was pregnant as well. She wasn’t supposed to have been pregnant… Everything’s changed from what it should have been…”

Michelle gasped, “Pregnant?! That cant be right! You said was?”

Jess responded, “I didn’t noticed when she came in… The baby must have died in the accident… I only felt her when I first touched her… Her blood work though proved the she had been… How do we expect to succeed with the plan when everything is starting out so wrong?”

Michelle thought for a moment, and grimly stated, “I don’t know… Someone has manipulated her since we last looked at this… We’ll just have to play a more active roll then we had originally planned. If someone is deliberately trying to sabotage this… We just have to keep a closer eye on her…”

Jess sadly looked at the young girl resting peacefully, and she sighed, “Who would do this, and who could cause us not to see what they have done?… Oh no!”

Michelle nodded grimly, “Yes, exactly… At least one of us has gone rogue…”

 
 
To be continued.
 

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
237 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Next chapter

Who are these mysterious watchers and what are they?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Excellent

second chapter Becca and love the story you are creating.

Looking forward to the next chapter already.

Love and hugs
Sam

SamanthaAnn

Steven to Belle?

Jamie Lee's picture

So Michelle sent Steven back into his past before Chad and his goons could kill him.

But who's Belle? How did she fit into his past life? Or was she suppose to have been Kelly and because of interfering fingers, Steven because this Belle?

Jess and Michelle have to be Gods of some olden time, to have sent Steven back and to be discussing how events are all wrong.

As the two women(?) decided, someone of their group has played with events and changed things. But who?

Others have feelings too.