Mourning Dew -- Chp. 2

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

Chapter 2 –

Detective Bishop sat down in the Starbucks near his Little Rock office. This was the biggest case he had ever worked on in his twelve year career. If he did a good job, he knew not only would he take out a sadistic devil that shouldn’t see the light of day for a century, but he could write his ticket into the big leagues. He could move on to being a special agent in any number of Federal agencies. Hell, he could even apply to NCIS, the inspiration of his favorite television show.

Sipping on a latte, he pushed his ambitions out of his mind and focused on the case. ‘Remember,’ he thought, ‘there is a little girl depending on you. Stay focused.’ He opened his tablet to the interviews with Camille and began to read with concentrated interest. The man he was going to have track down was a monster. The worst kind of monster. He was smart and stealthy. He hid his tracks pretty well. But, he had already made mistakes according to the file. There was DNA on the chloroform cloth that didn’t belong to Camille. There also was the fact that he spoke Spanish fluently and like a native. Further, even though he had disguised himself to both Camille and the locals in the village he had Camille stashed, he was also there for at least five years.

“Yes,” he thought, “five years was a long time to be there. Clearly long enough to make a critical mistake.” After finishing reading her interviews, he pulled up Expedia and booked a round trip to Hermosillo, Mexico. The village she was held in was located nearby and was east of the town. Because of Mexican property law, the report related, it was a rental since only Mexican citizens can own land outright in Mexico. According to the report also, the hacienda was rented for seven years for a large sum of money. The owner could visit it once a year to verify the tenant was taking good care of it. It had its own well and the tenant had improved it with solar panels shipped in from the states. The tenant’s name was Johannes Schmidt. His United States address was 10428 Geneson Oaks, New Braunfels, TX. According to Google, it was a vacant piece of land. The use of German for his name was deliberate. The fact that it translated to John Smith was not accidental.

Bishop’s flight was early the next morning. He flew from Little Rock to Dallas. Then, he caught an international flight to Hermosillo. Packing for the time of year, he quickly got on his flight to DFW and thence to Hermosillo. Officer Juan Valendez met him at the airport.

“Buenas Dias, Senor. I hope your flight was pleasant.” Juan was about five foot five and relatively thin. He was about the same age as Bishop and from all appearances, was outdoors a lot.

“Thank you. It was.” Bishop shook his hand and collected his bag from baggage claim.

“I have been assigned personally to you for the whole time. I can take you straight to the hacienda and then to the village. What is it that you are looking for?” Officer Valendez was chiefly concerned that he might be an arrogant American.

Bishop heaved a heavy sigh. “I don’t know. Anything at this point. I could really use your help and insight.” said a hopeful Bishop. Juan smiled realizing that this was someone he could work with. Not the usual Gringo.

During their one hour trip by car, they discussed the facts of the case. “I guess habits. Anything he did that stands out that might give us a clue as to who he really was. I want to learn from you what you know so I can take that home with me.”

“Well, we know he was 1.8 meters tall. He weight was around 75 kilos. He had brown hair. He was olive in skin tone. He was about 45 years of age. He didn’t have a bald spot. Most of the locals felt he was Mexican originally. He didn’t speak with an noticeable accent, but used words that were from another country. If anything, they say he sounded like he came from this area except for those foreign words.”

“The foreign part agrees with the ethic report on the DNA we found at the crime scene years ago. It said he was mostly European with some Indian tribes found in Mexico. Maybe he did come from here. Then again, his parents could have immigrated up north to America and he could be first generation American since, from what I hear, he spoke English without an accent.”

Juan realized that everything he had heard got them no closer to who Mr. Jack really was. “So, what you are saying is that we are grasping at straws, mi amigo.”

“Yeah. I guess we are.”

***

Homecoming was quietly done. The Laignaux family was not known for being loud and garish. They were of Huguenot stock. Very plain people. Although they didn’t speak the French of their ancestral land, the name Camille was a proud name that fathers enjoyed passing on to sons for generations. Usually, the men went by their second name. But, as a boy, Cam had a love of opera and greatly admired Camille Saint Saens. Instead of going by Jacques, his middle name, he insisted that he be called Cam. In typical family fashion, he named his son Camille Jean Laignaux. In the beginning, Cam would call his boy Jean, pronounced the French way which rhymes with Shawn. But about kindergarten, the boy insisted that he be called Camille or Cam Junior or just simply Camy. Camy flowed much better than Cam junior and became his all purpose name.

During the trip home, it was decided that only Camille’s sex would be changed on the birth certificate. Her name was both male and female. That way, down the road if things were to change, there would be no changes to records other than a little discreet change in the name order and maybe sex. Mrs. Laignaux was pleased with the solution. She loved Camille’s name. One of her favorite flowers was the Camillia, which, ironically, had been Camy’s Mexican name.

A native of Birmingham, AL, Mrs. Laignaux loved the reference to her home state's flower. If it hadn’t been for college, she would still be living there. But, she met and fell in love with a dapper gentleman getting a degree in business administration and followed him to his home of Little Rock. She was intensely grateful he didn’t follow the tradition of the family and become a razorback else the two would have never met.

Life was comfortable for the Laignaux family. They enjoyed an upper middle class life style. And Cam was a good provider. Their move to a less expensive home was only because they had spent a considerable sum of money on private investigators looking for Camy. After two years, they had given up hope. The flyers they had put on telephone poles around town and long since disappeared. Their lost boy and his milk cartoon story had faded into the abyss of a cold file. And, many in the community as well as their neighbors had long since forgotten about their tragedy.

And, for the moment, it was to remain that way. The curse of forgetting Camille had now turned into a blessing. The adults in the family who knew also decided to announce to the twins, their children, and to the neighbors that Camille was a cousin that they were taking in for good. She was recently left an orphan. Camille looked very different from her eight year old photo. Mr. Jack had even done a little plastic surgery on her nose making it look more like a button nose than the family nose. The police suspected that was to prevent facial recognition software from detecting her.

Mr. Jack had also done some feminizing surgery too to her face which further made her look less like a Lagnaux family member and more like she really was a cousin.

It was generally agreed that even Sammy and Jessica were not to know that she was really Camy until they were acclimated to each other and they had the maturity to understand what happened to Camille.

The only two problems that remained were much harder to ignore. First, her birthday could give her away. And second, her name, Camille is pronounced Camy. For sake of expediency, it was agreed that her birthday would now be three weeks after her real birthday. And she would go by Jean, pronounced as Joan, instead of Camille.

That, at least until the horrible Mr. Jack was caught, would be her cover. It would keep her out of the limelight. And, by keeping her under raps, they hoped Mr. Jack would feel compelled to do something to make himself known in order to out her. To this end, the home next to them was rented by a family where the two parents were police officers too.

Back in the village of Mazta, Juan and Bishop wandered around the home. It was a very nice home. The furniture that was left clearly had been bought at an Ikea and driven to the home. Nothing was special. The only unique feature was a room for a custodian.

“Whom did he hire to watch over her?”

“We only know that he had a custodian watch over her for about four months and then chose a new one. What we figure is that he found someone who wished to immigrate to the United States. For taking care of his ward, he would teach them English. And, when they were finished, he would help smuggle them up north to the United States.”

“So, that gave him the freedom of being able to leave and come back?”

“Yes. Once she was proficient in Spanish, he would hire college students to come in and teach her special subjects. She learned piano, dance, and many other subjects. All in all, not a bad way to be kidnapped.”

“Depends on your point of view. She lost valuable time with her family she can never get back. And they would have taught her the same things. She wasn’t poor by any means. A prison, no matter how nice it is, is still a prison. This place may not have bars. But, it does have high walls. Walls that prevented her from enjoying the comfort of a mother and father that loved her.”

“Yes, senor, I believe you are right. I apologize.”

“Oh, it is okay. Given the horrible nature of this crime, I find myself trying to find comfort in the same way.” Juan nodded in agreement. He liked that this man thought outside the box.

The rest of the day, they wondered around and talked to the villagers with Officer Juan doing the translating. Most of them were oblivious to what was going on or didn’t even know. But, for Bishop, he got a chance to hear, see, and feel what was in the reports. He got a chance to look into the faces of people and put a face to the name of someone in the various reports. Then there was a break. A little boy named Carlos had played at the house and fell down cutting himself badly. Mr. Jack took charge and stopped the bleeding and then stitched him up.

“How many stitches, Dr. Lopez?”

“He expertly did five stitches, Senor. The work es excellentee. When I came I saw that he had cared for boy, I askeded him where he learned it. He say that he learned it in the Navy as a medic.”

“Thank you Dr. Lopez.”

After the doctor left, Juan said, “Well, it seems you have stirred up some good information after all.”

“Couldn’t have done it with out you, mi amigo. You have been very helpful. And I know that there is a girl back home who will appreciate your spending time with me to help us capture her captor. I know you didn’t have to do this.” Juan smiled. He knew he was a member of a team and not just some dumb Mexican servant.

***

“Grandmama, when will Mommy and Daddy be home?”

Giggling, she said, “Soon Sammy. They are bringing home someone special.”

“Who is that?”

“You’ll find out.” She smiled broadly clearly bursting with joy.

“Why are you so happy?”

“Because prayers have been answered. Anyway, you run along and get dressed. We let you sleep late today. But, come next week, school starts. Are you looking forward to starting third grade?”

“Grandma, can I let Stanley in?”

She nodded yes. Jessica opened the back door and in trundled Stanley. He was an almost eight year old beagle they adopted as a pup to keep Camy happy and distracted when the twins arrived. She was very fond of Camy and took it hard when she disappeared.

Looking out the front window as she was doing the dishes from lunch, Margaret Laignaux saw the car pull up in the driveway. Holding back her enthusiasm to see that her grandchild had finally returned, she watched as her son, Cam, came around and opened the door for a beautiful young girl who took his hand and stepped out. She said in a low voice that only she could hear, “Oh my. They weren’t joking about him.” The girl stepped on her toes briefly and kissed her dad on the cheek and laughed. He smiled and put his arm around her and hugged her. It was a sweet sight to behold. Letting go, he went to the back on the Camry and pulled two large suitcases out of the trunk. Mrs. Laignaux exited from the front seat and intertwined her arm with her little girl’s arm. She noticed how much her grandchild now looked like her mother-in-law from ages past. Her features were delicate and hardly the face of the rough and tumble boy she remembered. Her smile was engaging and sweet. She could be a twin of her cousin Sally. The two were about the same age too. Looking at her grandchild casually brushing back her hair in a very feminine manner, she thought, “No, she is exactly like Sally.”

Jessica and Sammy were playing on the X-Box in the living room. Sammy’s obsession with Minecraft now included his sister joining him on his adventures. They were too into the game to notice the front door opening and their parents coming in with their long lost brother. Grandmama came up grinned at Camille commenting in a low tone. “It is so wonderful to have you back. I sure missed you too.”

With tears in her eyes, Camille could barely say, “Grandmama,” before wrapping her arms around her grandmother and hugging her as hard as she could. “I missed you so much. I love you.”

“I love you too, young lady.”

Camille whispered, “You mean, you don’t mind?”

Grandmama whispered back, “Of course not! I am just glad to have you back in one piece.”

The best moment was when Stanley perked up and smelled Camy. She bounded from her perch and wagged her tail while dancing dancing all over the place seeing her Camille once again.

“Let’s get you up to your room.” Cam said. Jessica overheard him and turned around to see the four of them standing in the foyer.

“Mom, Dad, is cousin Sally coming to stay with us?” Jessica put down her controller and ran over to them. “Wait, your not Sally. But, you sure do look like her. She doesn’t have long hair.” Camille looked over her sister and then looked to her mom wondering what to say. The sight of her sister now grown into a cute little girl reminded her of how much time she had lost.

Mrs. Laignaux interrupted the discussion with an affirmation of her being in control. “No, I think a little introduction is in order.”

“Sammy, pause your game now please. We need to have a family meeting.” Mrs. Laignaux then guided everyone into the living room. Jessica and Sammy sat on the floor in front of the flat screen television in the lotus position. Sammy leaned back on his hands while Jessica sat in the lotus position hunched over with her arms crossed. Camille smoothed her skirt and sat down on high back chair she vaguely remember from years ago, crossed her legs, and then folded her hands in her lap. She was the picture of a refined lady. There was no slouching on her part. The three adults sat down on a long couch wondering how this all would play out.

Cam started the meeting, “Jessica, Sammy, we would like you to meet Jean. She is going to be your new sister from here on out.”

Sammy pursed his lips and then exclaimed, “No way! I want a brother. How come Jessica gets a sister?”

Jessica glared at him and then interjected, “Shut up, Sammy.” She then turned her attention to Camille. “How come you look like my cousin Sally. Are you related to us?”

“Yes she is related to us.” said Mrs. Laignaux. “She lost her parents, our kissing cousins who were missionaries in Mexico, and has been away from the family for a long time in Mexico. We have decided to let Jean come into our family and take her in as our own daughter. Now, she will be the oldest in the house. But, she isn’t used to having a brother and sister. So, some things will have to change. But, Grandmama has agreed to help us. She wants to spend more time with us to help us adjust to having Jean here. Okay?”

“Hi Jessica and Sammy. I hope you accept me as your sister. I really appreciate your mom and dad taking me in on such short notice. I didn’t have anywhere else I could go. And I love the idea of having a brother and sister too.”

Sammy got up and walked up to Camille and looked at her. “Do you like playing Minecraft?”

“What is that?” came an innocent response from Camille. “Is it a board game?”

“No silly. It is a game you play on an X-Box.”

“What is an X-Box?” answered a very confused and worried Camille.

“It is a gaming platform. Haven’t you ever seen a video game before?”

“Not really. When I played games, it was mostly outside. Especially years ago because my parents insisted on it. I really liked hopscotch and hoops. And, football was fun too. I liked to climb. And we played house too. I had the nicest doll house you have ever seen.”

Sammy looked at her in disbelief. “You mean you never have played a video game before?” She shook her head no.

“Years ago, I think I did. I must have. But, it has been so long, I don’t know anything about them anymore. I wasn’t even allowed to use a computer for my schooling. I don’t really know how to use them. I was taught to use a book, paper, and a pen for school.”

Jessica got up and walked over to the other side of the chair. “Tell me that you like playing dress up at least?”

“Oh yes. I love to play dress up. Would you like to go shopping with me? I love shopping in stores. I like trying on clothes and seeing how they look on me.” Jessica got a big grin on her face and then stuck her tongue out at Sammy who squinted back at her and stuck his tongue out too.

“It’s no fair, Daddy!” Sammy said turning to his dad. “Jessica gets someone to play with and I don’t. I want a brother. I want Camy back, don’t you?”

Grandmama firmly pronounced, “Now Sammy, you now why that isn’t fair to say to your Mom and Dad. If Jean were a boy, then Jessica would feel left out. I think you both need to understand that Jean needs a family. She needs a brother and a sister equally. I am sure that with time, you will find things that Jean likes to do with you too.”

***

In a small room down at city services building, a man entered into the H.R. office. “I am Dr. Kendricks here to see Mr. Thompson.”

The secretary looked up at him and said, “He is expecting you. Please go right in. Third door down on your right.” She pointed down a hallway. Mr. Kendricks nodded and walked down and knocked on the door. A man answered and let him in.

“It is a pleasure to meet you Dr. Kendricks. I have your resume. We really need a pathologist of your caliber. It says here that you have been doing work in Mexico trying to locate the relatives of those who passed away after crossing the border. Volunteer work, right?”

“Yes. I did it for five years. But, it got to be too much to handle. You can only see so much pain before you have to quit and move on. It was my time to move on.” It was a convenient excuse that Paul knew no one would challenge.

“Where did you acquire you interest in pathology, if you don’t mind my asking? According to your file, you ought to have gone into medicine and been a physician or surgeon.”

“After my stint in the Coast Guard, I found I could deal with the dead better than the living. I am not a people person. Giving someone closure by finding their dead relative isn’t as hard as having to deal with a family member who is dying.”

“Well, we can sure use your talents. And, the staff at the morgue understands that you won’t go into the field until your recent surgery heals. Have you found a place to live yet?”

“I inherited money. So, I don’t need the income. I need the work to keep me busy. I donate my income to various charities that matter to me. I like what you are offering me.”

“Well, in any case, we want you. And, the fact that you speak Spanish will be a great asset. How long have you spoken it?”

“My father came here in the 50’s from Argentina. He married a woman from the state of Sonora, Mexico. They were wonderful parents to me and my brother Jack. But, they didn’t get along with my brother. They kicked him out of the house to teach him a lesson. He died on the streets after being targeted by a gang in Los Angeles who was trying to exploit him. They were so heart broken with what happened to him, they died soon after he did feeling they had killed him by their actions.”

“I am sorry to hear that. I see that you had to have surgery recently. I do need to know what it was for and if it will affect your job.”

“Oh, it was some facial reconstruction. I had an accident when I was boy. I ran full force into a basketball post. I had them correct my nose and repair the broken bones. I can breath better now. Of course, I don’t look like myself anymore.”

“Anyway, you have the job. Report to the morgue on Monday and Dr. Larson will fill you in on all you need to know.”

After leaving the building, Paul pulled out a photo from his wallet and looked at it. It was of a woman standing in a yard with a bougainvillea in full bloom behind her. He looked at it for a time. As he started to put it back in his wallet, he muttered, “This is for you Jack. I don’t want what happened to you to happen to Camille. If only they let you become who you were meant to be.”

He pressed the start button of his Suburau and headed home.

***

Bishop leaned back his seat. The flight home would be long. The intelligence he had gathered in Mexico was invaluable. He had a much better picture of who this Mr. Jack was. The big question was how he disposed of the other boys. Based on the discussion with Juan, he was certain that they were buried on the acreage of the hacienda. He looked at the areal map of the hacienda again. No, he had to have buried them there. He would authorize a team of searchers with ground penetrating radar to visit the hacienda. Because of the need for security, he arranged a layover in Austin to visit a friend who worked for the Texas Rangers. He knew his friend would be able to get a team out there without creating suspicions. Instinctively, he felt that if he used the resources back home, Mr. Jack would become aware of what was going on and flee to parts unknown. The best chance they had to catch this bastard was to let him feel like he was getting away with murder because Bishop was inept as an investigator, sort of like a lieutenant Columbo. Fortuitously, he had a slush fund set up for him by the feds.

The chase was on.

Copyright © 2017 by AuP reviner

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Unfounded assumption

Jamie Lee's picture

Camille seems to be okay, on the outside, for a kid who went through such a traumatic experience. But what's her mental state, emotional state, spiritual state?

Camille already said she's angry and yet the anger doesn't show, yet. And that is the big question, what's going to trigger a flashback and cause her to go ballistic?

Something that was done to Camille and that was rob her of her childhood. For a kid her age she's awfully mature, compared to other kids her age. She was never allowed to just be a kid.

Paul, if that's the doctors' real first name, made a faulty assumption about Cam. Jack was killed because he was TG, and couldn't live as he needed. Paul believed the same would happen to Cam but didn't have proof. He just made an assumption that Cam's parents wouldn't allow him to transition if that's what was needed.

So Paul made Cam into what he believed he should become without a shred of hard evidence. Not only did he kill Cam but the family as well.

Others have feelings too.