Alexa Chapter 32: Inclusion

Printer-friendly version

Alexa Chapter 32: Inclusion

The first thing I remembered was waking up to a kiss on the cheek. I knew it could only be one person and I let out a moan of happiness. I then heard the voice of an angel wish me a Merry Christmas. That was where the enjoyment of Christmas morning quickly ended. “Come on, we have to get up. Daddy just called and said he was on his way.” I tried to use the toddler voice Jenny loves to use on me. Heck, I even stole her complete line. “No, cuddle” I said, only to be met by a giggle and a deep kiss. “I would love to too, babe, but we have to get ready for the flight.” Dejectedly I pulled myself off the couch and followed my fiancée into the bathroom and twenty minutes later we were waiting at the window as we watched Marty pull up to the front of the building. We grabbed our bags and made our way down to Marty’s car.

“Do you two really need 4 suitcases and an overnighter for this trip?” Marty asked almost rhetorically. Jenny and I said nothing to the man who was practically my father as we each gave him a kiss. As we attempted to slide into the front seat with Marty, we were met with a surprise. “Sorry girls, your stuck in the back seat.” Jenny’s Uncle Rob said with a grin followed by greeting both of us. I did not reach in to give Rob a hug at first, and was instantly teased about it. “You can give me a hug too Alexa, I don’t bite.” I leaned in and gave the younger Thompson brother a hug. Even though we had not spent much time together, only a few days in May and a few days in July, I had felt completely accepted by Rob. As we pile in in the back seat, we begin questioning Rob why he was here and not in Florida.

“I was talking with Marty the other day and had to listen to him whine about you two not being around. So, I thought I would come spend Christmas Eve with my brother.” Jenny and I exchanged a guilty look as we sped down the freeway. Rob saw this and told us not to worry about it “You two would have hated it. Couple of rib eyes, brandy and cigars. Total guys night.” Instantly, Jenny and I were all over Marty on smoking cigars. He tried to deflect it by saying that we weren’t his mother. We reminded him that we were going to see her in a few hours and we might have to mention it to her. Rob began to laugh and slapped his brother on the shoulder. ‘I feel for you Marty. Two of them on your case.” I could see Marty shake his head in the front seat. “That’s only part of it. They have been trained by mother.”

The airport was quiet, but active for Christmas. The one nice thing was that the attitude of the travelers. Everyone seemed to be in much better moods than any other day at the airport. No pushing, no harried travelers. Must have been the holiday. We breezed through the check in process and TSA and were soon enjoying some of the special treats that had been laid out in the Sky Club and only had a short wait until the flight to Palm Beach was announced. Jenny and I took our sets and tried to cuddle into each other. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Rob looking at us with a big grin across his face. I watched as he elbowed Marty and pointed over to us. Marty leaned forward in his seat and looked over at us with a warm smile. I heard him say “They can be a bit of a pain, but I wouldn’t trade those two for anything.” And sat back. I pulled Jenny in a little closer and drifted off to sleep.

After collecting our bags in baggage claim, we hopped in the car Marty had rented for the week and made our way to the Thompson estate. I could see Jenny begin to get excited. As she had explained, this was to be the first time in 4 years that Jenny was going to get to spend Christmas Day with her grandmother. I had felt bad about the most recent one she missed, but she just told me to be quiet, she didn’t want to hear about it. “The person I cared for more than anything was hurting. If I had to, I would do it again. End of discussion.” And it was. I didn’t bring it up for the rest of the trip. We sat back and enjoyed the ride. It was interesting to look out at see the Christmas decorations intermixed with palm trees and people walking about in shorts. I don’t ever remember it being warmer than 50 degrees on Christmas Day, but it was 70 degrees outside. I soon lost the sweater I had been wearing and rolled down the window and let the warm sun bathe across me. Jenny giggled at my sun worship.

Mary either had been alerted to are pending arrival or had camped out on the front porch because as soon as we pulled in, she rushed the car. Jenny practically jumped from the car and rushed to her grandmother. Marty, Rob and I looked on as the two shared a long hug. As the two broke, Mary began making her way over to the three of us. Rather than go to one of her sons, Mary came right to me and gave me a hug. “It so good to see you Alexa! Merry Christmas!” Mary said as she squeezed me tightly. Leave it to Rob to find humor in all of this. “I see what you are talking about now. I don’t think we matter anymore.’ Marty began to laugh as Mary and I broke our hug. “You have that right young man. At least these two have the decency to call me or send me an email every few days.” Mary said in only a way Mary could, leaving her sons to collect that luggage while Mary led us into the house. We were greeted by Bridget and her family, but we could see that Mary was getting antsy to get Jenny and I alone to begin her usual debriefing of our lives. She soon had us seated in the sun room, where coffee had been set up and she began to ask us all about the last few days.

“It was good. We got to spend some time with my mom. We even helped her bake cookies.” I told Mary, who was shocked by that and began to quiz Jenny. Jenny was all excited telling the tale of the dozens of cookies we had made. Mary patted me on the leg. “You have been a good influence on this spoiled little girl.” Mary said, trying to get a rise out of Jenny. Mary’s mission was accomplished as Jenny began sulking Mary put an arm around her granddaughter and brought her back. But then Jenny began agreeing with her grandmother. Jenny looked over at me and began talking “I hope you are right grandma. If I could have only half the caring heart of her, I would be happy.” I began blushing as Mary urged Jenny to go on. Jenny began to tell the tale of my secret gift for my cousin. As I sat there blushing, Mary and Jenny looked at me with proud smiles. Mary put an arm around me “I am glad you two did something nice for her. She looks up to you two.” Jenny tried to diffuse the praise to me, but Mary wouldn’t let her. “You have helped make Alexa just as much of caring person as she has made you. You two have a special effect on people, including each other. Don’t ever let that change.” This time, Jenny joined me in the blushing.

The family dinner felt absolutely normal. I received some good-natured teasing from Jenny’s cousins Jon and Jason. We laughed talked and joked like I was part of the family. Which when I realized that I was, I began to tear up a bit. Jenny put an arm around me when she noticed the tears. “Where are you Lex?” She asked. I turned and looked her, whispering “this feels so natural like it is my own family.” The smile across Jenny’s face grew. “Well it is. Or will be soon.” I looked to see Marty and Rob just looking at the two of us. Both had proud smiles on their faces. I began to get a little more flustered, but Jenny just hugged me a little tighter. As I got myself under control, I straightened up only to find the rest of the Thompson clan smiling at me in a similar way. I guess I was part of the family.

After we gave Mary her gifts, a beautiful Lilac sweater, and a Kindle Paperwhite everyone decided we needed to head down to the beach. Mary was even interested in going. Rob spoke up, “You’re not going to wear that bikini are you mom?” Bridget laughed while the twins began to beg their grandmother not to do it. “Robert, if you weren’t 54 years old, I would have you over my knee and bring the belt out of retirement.” Rob couldn’t stop laughing. It was then I realized another reason I really liked Rob. He was like me and enjoyed teasing his mother. We all went off to various rooms to change. Jenny and I had been given the lower level guest room, next to Mary’s room for the week. We lugged our bags in and began unpacking. As we began to change, I began to feel a little modest because we were going to be around the rest of the family and opted for the special one-piece suit that Nikki had sent over back in May. Jenny looked at me and began to complain a bit. “You know I love that suit, but I think you would look much better in one of your bikinis, babe.” She saddled up to me and began trying to convince me to change by kissing we on the neck. And what was usual, I surrendered to her ministrations and reached for one of my more modest two-piece suits. Jenny shook her head and I took the offered hot pink suit she held out for me.

We walked down to the beach hand-in-hand and were teased by the rest of the family for taking so long. Mary was the only one who didn’t. Julie said the reason we have been put downstairs because we wouldn’t keep the rest of the house up if we were down there. Jon and Jason made some comment about we would also save the house from ceiling damage. It was all in good fun and was just another way that everyone was making me feel accepted as part of the family. As we were leaving the cabana, Jon called out for us to grab some beer out of the refrigerator. “And grab one for Uncle Rob and Marty.” Jenny began to tease them about drinking. “I figured you would be wine drinkers by now” Jason and Jon were both in the MBA program at Stanford, something that had not always sat well with the family, but they were anxious to depart the family shadow. And going to California was one way to do it.

We had grabbed a bucket full of beer on ice and brought it down to the beach. It was obvious the twins had been around for a few days, as they had the volleyball net set up on the beach. After grabbing their beers, Jon and Jason began looking for someone to take them on. Marty and Rob decided to take them on, while the rest of the looked on. Jenny and I began taunting the twins from the sidelines “Are you sure you two can handle a couple of old men?” Jenny yelled out, only to earn her a look of mock contempt from her father. I began in on Marty a bit about not hurting himself, which got me the same look, which left Julie, Jenny and I in stitches and earning us a reprimand from Mary. “You three are so smart, why don’t you take them on?” Mary said. Julie instantly found a way to get herself out of playing, and sadly Jenny too.

“I can’t play grandma. What if something happened and I go hurt? I have a wedding to deal with.” Julie said, which got me teasing her. “Afraid you will get a black eye or something?” After having worked with and spending a lot of time with her, I knew Julie would take it in the fun it was meant to be. What I forgot was how much she could get back at me. When the twins came back a few minutes later looking for more challengers, Julie got her revenge. Jenny and I volunteered to take them on, even going so far as trying to talk them into a bet. Julie got a grin on her face. “Oh, Jenny can’t play. I can’t have one of my bridesmaids getting hurt.” Julie flashed me a smile that showed she was getting even with me for my taunting. Jenny got a bit sad and then told the twins, after the wedding we would take them on. It was then my prospects of playing changed.

“I’ll be your partner Alexa” Rob said. I could tell he wanted a chance to get even with his nephews for the beating they had just put on. Jenny encouraged me to kick some Preston but, so I agreed. Rob held out his hand and helped me up from the blanket. I have had Marty lend me a hand before, but this was different. Rob’s large hands made me feel small, more feminine than anything. I felt chills as he helped me up. It was a strange feeling and it took me by surprise. I tried to hide my confusion and made my way out to the court, but I till had this odd feeling. The appearance of Jenny at the side of the court helped me overcome the strange feelings that had cropped up.

The match was a blast. I don’t know what the twins thought they were running into, but I am sure they weren’t ready for the trash talking I was able to produce. Having grown up with two brothers, I had learned the value of being able to talk a good game. ‘What was that Jason?” I hollered out after I blocked a spike of his at the net. Jason looked at me like I was crazy, and Rob laughed. We shared a high five as Jenny continued with the taunting. Rob even got into a bit of the trash talking, telling Jon to “eat this” as he spiked a shot over the net. This got both Jenny and I laughing. And Mary full of warnings “Be nice to the boys, Robert” she called out which got everyone laughing even harder. When the match was over, and we had soundly beaten the twins 25-14, Rob and I shared a hug. When Rob said “Great game Alexa. I’ll be your partner anytime”, the strange feeling came back. I tried to cover my feelings and thankfully Jenny wrapped me in a hug and those thoughts disappeared. But I will have to admit that Rob’s hug hung with me longer than I wanted.

The next day began a whirlwind of activity. It might have only been the day after Christmas, but there was a wedding in a few days. Somehow everyone in the family had been drafted in to service, and somehow, I became the unofficial assistant to Bridget. While this was not exactly a new role for me, as it was my job this summer, it did take me away from Jenny a little more than I had hoped. Jenny was helping Julie get things organized on her side while Bridget fought with her mother over the decorating of the yard for the ceremony and the organization of the house. Jenny and I did find a few moments to slip away together but one of us was always called away by one of the two Preston women. It was kind of lonely, but at least at night we were together. Not only at dinner, but snuggling together in bed. But the morning brought new orders and new tasks,

Wednesday proved to be a day I would soon want to forget. That was the day that the rest of the wedding party showed up. Andrew’s best man and his wife had arrived. Since Andrew had no brothers and only one younger sister, he and Julie agreed to have their siblings in the weddings, with Jenny being the one other exception outside the immediate family. That is other than the Maid of Honor and Best Man. Cole Miller, Andrew’s Best Man, was a nice enough guy. We had met up with him and his wife a few times over the summer out at the lake. His wife, Kelly was an odd one. She was very prim and proper, unless you got a couple of glasses of wine in her and she was fun, almost too much fun. She tended to get a little crazy. I wasn’t worried about her. We had gotten along alright and she was accepting of who I was, and the relationship Jenny and I had. The real task over the next few days was going to be dealing with Julie’s Maid of Honor, one Miss Monica Van Pelt.

Monica came from a family that had been around the Minneapolis scene almost as long as the Thompson’s, and there for felt that there was an air about her. Like her shit didn’t stink. Jenny and I had spent sometime around her and Julie as well out at the lake. Most of the time we around those two, Andrew conveniently had a golf game or a meeting or had to watch the grass grow. I could tell from when the two were around each other that he was not a fan of hers. Either was Julie’s father, LJ. Wednesday morning at breakfast he asked Julie, “What time does the broom land?” Julie starred down her father while her two brothers laughed away. I bit my tongue as I wanted to do the same thing. Julie informed her father that Monica would be in at 12:30 and he was to be nice to her. “It’s a two-way street there, Kitten. She starts acting up, I won’t put up with it.” Julie seethed a bit over this but said nothing. When I got Jenny alone a few minutes later, I asked her about Monica and why she was still around if everyone seems to hate her.

“Monica and Julie have been friends since they were like four.” Jenny explained. “They have been inseparable, but Monica has changed. I think that her boyfriend dumping her and her father dying a week later really affected her. She changed. She was never the nicest person, but it just amplified after that.” Jenny then took my hands and looked me in the eye. “Just promise not to start anything this week, OK. I know she has made comments to you in the past, but I just want this to be a special time for Julie OK?” The words were strange coming out of Jenny’s mouth, but the blue eyes staring back at me convinced to do what she asked. I promised I would be good and that I would try and avoid any confrontation. Jenny was happy and gave me a long kiss before she headed off to do what ever it was that was on her list of orders while I went to find Bridget to see what she needed help with.

Thankfully it wasn’t until that evening that I had the pleasure of seeing Monica. For some strange reason she was pleasant to me. I don’t know if Julie or Bridget had gotten to her or she was beginning to mellow towards me, but I wasn’t complaining. Julie had been so nice to me I wanted her special week to go off well. Jenny noticed too and was happy. But my luck was short lived. As the evening progressed, Monica would shoot me looks as we sat around. It was almost like Marilyn had arrived. They were either looks of contempt or scorn, ones that left me slightly concerned. And because we were in a big Thompson family gathering, I was too concerned to say anything. I just tried to play the polite girlfriend to Jenny and kept my mouth shut.

Thursday proved to be even worse. I tried to get Jenny to stay in bed a little longer and cuddle up with me, but she couldn’t. And I knew she couldn’t because this was the day of the final fittings. I was trying to do everything I could to avoid going down stairs that morning and face everyone, but Jenny wouldn’t allow that. After getting dressed she led me downstairs, where everyone was having breakfast. I did notice that two people I wanted to see were missing from the group, Mary and Marty. They were two people who I knew I could confide in as to what I was dealing with. However, the two of them, along with Rob, had gone into the Thompson Company offices for a bit on some official business on the ranch, so I was left here with everyone else. The talk around the table was all the big plans for the day. LJ and the twins were meeting up with Andrew, Andrew’s father, and Cole for their fitting and then off to the Golf Course. I knew that the rest were off to have the final fittings on the dresses done and then who knows what. That was going to leave me at home. Alone. A point the was driven home by Monica in a very snotty way. “Come on ladies”, she said with an emphasis on ladies “time to head out and get the fittings done.” Monica stared at me the whole time and for the first time in quite a while I felt less than what I was. Jenny was rushed, so she didn’t pick up on how I was feeling as she gave me a quick kiss before catching up with the rest of the group. Two minutes later, I was alone in this big house and for the first time in I don’t know how long I felt like an intruder in the Thompson house.

I poured myself another cup of coffee and slipped off to the sun room to gather my composure and I try to tell myself it wasn’t what I thought. I tried to convince myself that it was just my paranoia about Monica that led me to believe that she was purposely excluding me, and I think Jenny was so wrapped up in the wedding that I kind of got left to the way side. I wished Debbie was around, but she was in London with her mother and I didn’t want to bother her. I tried to call Katie, but she was on her way to work so she didn’t have time to talk. Nikki and Sarah were not an option either, as they were at Sarah’s father’s. This left me alone to my own devices. Sure, I could have called my mother, but I still wasn’t as comfortable about talking to her about some of these things. So, there I sat, in this large, beautiful home all alone. Sipping coffee while I felt abandoned. I began to cry a bit but pulled myself out of it knowing that would do no good.

About an hour after my retreat, Marty, Rob and Mary returned from their little trip Mary was the first to find me. “Are you OK Alexa?” she asked as she found me leafing through some magazine. I tried to lie and say I was fine, just a little lonely without Jenny. I don’t know if Mary bought it, but she accepted it. She joined me and the two of us chatted for a bit. I tried to steer the conversation away from anything that would let on to my feelings. I could tell Mary wanted to say something, but she held back. Marty came out to check on me and I instantly put on much more of a mask than I had with Mary. I didn’t want Marty worrying about me, and I knew he wouldn’t pick up my mood if I put on a happy face. However, Mary did notice my change in moods I think, but thankfully said nothing except to tell her son I was bored. Rob came in just as Mary was telling Marty this. Rob decided something needed to be done. “You’re bored little girl?” Rob said with a smile ‘Well we should do something about that. Do you play golf Alexa?” Rob asked and told him I hadn’t in years. Both Marty and Mary thought it would be a great idea for me to go out with these two on the golf course. Though I was a little nervous about hitting the links, I agreed. Marty asked Mary to join us, but she declined and instantly Rob was on her. “Oh, come one mom. You could probably still kick my butt, though I doubt you could beat your other son. Seems like all he does these days is play golf.” I watched as Marty became embarrassed and mad all at the same time. He wanted to tell his little brother off, but knew he couldn’t. Mary though did not back down. “I haven’t played in years, but I will come out with you, just so Alexa doesn’t get stuck in a cart all alone while you two play away.”

So, it had been settled. I was going to join these three on a golf course playing a game I had only played a few times. “We will just play the executive course today. Who knows? Maybe you will enjoy it enough to get that fiancée of yours playing” Marty said as he put his arm around me. My mood did pick up after that, enough that I knew of a perfect thing I could tease my future father-in-law with. “I don’t have anything to wear” I said, which earned the desired groan from Marty. I hugged him a little bit tighter and told him I was just teasing him, before letting go of him and heading off to my and Jenny’s room to get changed. I had seen the golfers on the LPGA tour and thought of what they wore. Noticing there wasn’t much in our clothes, I went up to Jenny and Julie’s shared room and into the dresser that was Jenny’s and found exactly what I was looking for, a skort. Not exactly the most stylish thing in the world, but it did allow me some modesty on the links while also looking feminine. I grabbed it and slipped on a sleeveless blouse in a mint green and made my way out of the room. I raced down stairs where I slipped on my white trainers and grabbed my pink Mickey jacket.

The ride over to the club was non-eventful. Mary and I sat in the back seat and I would say she was still trying to figure out what was going on, but said nothing. She merely engaged me in some light banter about school and the relationship of my brother and Katie. All very pleasant, but a nothing conversation that was completely out of character for Mary. There were some comments from the Thompson brothers in the front, mostly from Marty teasing me. We arrived at the course, and I was introduced to a bunch of people that were friends of Mary’s, People I had no idea who they were but were mostly interested in me as the fiancée of Mary’s granddaughter. Marty lined everything up and there were two carts loaded up and ready to go. Mary and I took one cart and waited while the two men teed off. Rob had a nice drive right down the center of the fairway, while Marty hooked his left just beyond a grove of trees. The words that came out of his mouth were fairly foul and earned him some chastising from his mother to watch his language. I of course had to pile on Marty a bit. “I didn’t know Andrew Sendejo was out there” I said with a laugh. Marty just grumbled a bit more while Mary drove the cart up to the front tee. While I hadn’t played in sometime, I knew what I was doing. I teed up the ball and lined up my shot just like I was taught. I gave a little waggle to the club before I took one last peek down the fairway. Keeping my eye on the ball, I pulled back the club. I shifted my weight from one foot to the other and began my downswing and then…

I topped the ball. I watched as the ball bounced down and came to rest in the rough about 30 yards from the tee. Thankfully none of the others laughed at me, but I still felt embarrassed. In a very kind voice, Marty said “Why don’t you take a mulligan Alexa.” With a red face, I caught the offered ball from Rob and re teed. This time I made decent contact, though it still didn’t go very far. But I did feel a bit better about myself and hoped in the cart.

The rest of that hole and the next few went well, except for my putting. You would think that with as much miniature golf as I had played over the years I would have no problem with putting, but I did. I either seemed to not hit the ball hard enough, or I was launching the ball a million different ways. At about the fourth hole I think Rob had enough. He walked up behind and wrapped his arms around. “You need to be smoother Alexa. Don’t try and kill the ball. Just bring it back a bit and follow through.” Rob demonstrated with his arms wrapped around me holding me. Rob had me take a practice swing before having me step over the ball. As he was doing this I could feel the strange feelings that I had on the beach come back. This time I could feel a bit of excitement as Rob wrapped his arms. I tried to take my mind off it and focus on the putt. I allowed Rob to guide my arms back and this time I drained the twelve-foot putt. I squealed with excitement and hugged Rob and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Marty and I exchanged a high five. The brothers were too busy talking to each other to recognize the stare Mary was shooting me. Thankfully she said nothing the rest of the way and we finished the nine-hole round with no more incidents, but I can’t deny the thoughts of my hug with Rob didn’t linger.

That night went pretty much the same as the night before, though it did get better as Monica and Julie decided to head out. Jenny and I curled up on a couch and spent some time together just watching a movie on TV. The next day was pretty much a carbon copy start to the day before. Jenny was dragged along by Julie and Monica for something that was for the “Wedding Party” as Monica put it. When they had gone I found myself feeling sad again. Rather than hole up in the sun room I went to our bedroom to lay down. That was when I found something that I had no idea that Jenny had brought along. The scrapbook that I had given her for Christmas. I began looking at the various pictures and little items I had added that stood for something special. I couldn’t help but giggle as I looked at it. That changed though as I got to a picture of Jenny and I at our birthday dinner. I starred at the picture of the two of us with big grins on our faces, cuddling up to each other with those silly tiaras on our heads. I started to cry. I didn’t hear her enter the room, but next thing I knew I was being held by my fiancée’s grandmother and just wailing away. After a moment she finally spoke.

“So that’s what it is?” was all Mary said at first. I looked up at her with a questioning look. “That’s the reason for the moping around here yesterday. Why you were acting like a school girl with Rob.” I still looked at her, almost wanting her to say what was on her mind. My head was almost pleading with my heart to say what I was feeling. I wanted someone to recognize what was going on in my head. What was going on that I was too stubborn to say. ‘You miss Jennifer, don’t you?” Mary finally asked and all I could do was nod and sob some more. Mary just held me as I let loose with the tears. I really don’t remember much after Mary’s words. The next thing I remember was waking up on the bed with the scrapbook laying on the bed next to me and light blanket draped over me. I jumped up in a panic and made my way to the en-suite and freshened up. I didn’t want Jenny to see me like this. As I made my way down the hall, I could hear Mary reprimanding someone in the living room. As I neared the expansive room I realized who it was. “You don’t realize what is going on do you, young lady?” I could hear Mary say to my soulmate. “That poor girl has been a mess the last few days, but didn’t want to say anything. And you took advantage of that. You ran off to be part of this great big spectacle and left the most important person in your life back here alone! I can’t believe you Jennifer Ann.” I could hear a whimper come from Jenny and then I could hear the floor creak beneath my feet. I froze in place and watched as the love of my life slowly turned around. Our eyes locked, and then Jenny took off in a sprint towards me. I met her halfway as she wrapped me in her arms. “I am so sorry Lex.” Jenny kept repeating. It felt so good to be held by her as we cried. Mary came over and led the two of us to one of the couches as we just held each other and cried. “I had no idea you were feeling this way babe.” Jenny said. When I told her that I didn’t want to cause problems, she pushed me back and looked me in the eyes. “Listen to me ALY!” Jenny said forcefully. “You are the most important person in the world. If I am doing something to hurt you, you better speak up.” I could only nod as Jenny pulled me in again. As we finally broke our embrace, we turned and looked at a proud grandmother standing over us. “I am glad that is solved. The two of you have to start figuring these things out for yourselves. I am not going to be around forever to kick you two in the rear.” Mary said before coming over and kissing each of us on the forehead and moving off to another part of the house. Jenny and I spent the rest of the afternoon as basically one form. Neither one of us wanted to let go of the other.

We were forced to let go, as tonight was going to be the big Bachelorette Party. Two of Julie’s friends, Lizzy and Mia, had arrived that afternoon and we were all going out as a group that night along with Kelly, Cole’s wife. This was going to be a new experience for me. I never been to a Bachelor Party, let alone a ‘Hen Night’ as I remember Nikki calling it. But there I was with Jenny, both of us applying heavy layers of makeup and slipping into almost obscenely short dresses and impossibly high heels. Jenny and I both began to get a little excited by the image of the other. We moved closer and shared a kiss. Out moment was broken by Monica “UGH! Aren’t you two ready yet? Let’s get going.” Monica said. Jenny giggled and went to grab our purses. Jenny thought it was some gentle teasing from the maid of honor, but I had a different read on Monica’s comments. To me it sounded as if our actions bothered her, but once again I said nothing. Taking Jenny by the hand, I put on my fake smile and the two of us went to meet up with the rest of the group.

In a very sweet move, Julie insisted we include Andrew’s sister Amy in our calmer festivities. Julie had the limo that Monica had reserved go to the hotel where Andrew’s family was staying and we all met the 14-year-old girl in the lobby. You could see the excitement in Amy’s eyes as she exited the elevator and all of us young women dressed to the nines. Julie instantly went to Amy and hugged her and brought her into the group. All seven of us led her out to the waiting car. Us older one’s still had our adult beverages, but Julie made sure there was sparkling grape juice for her future sister-in-law for the celebration ride. We placed a toy tiara on Julie’s head and placed a sash across her shoulder that identified her as the “Bride to Be” and raised a toast to her. We downed our drinks as we made our way towards the restaurant we had reserved giggling away.

Once we arrived, more toasts were shared as we enjoyed the Japanese steak house and the show the Chef put on. And what a show it was. Knives and food were flying, as was the Sake. We all laughed and told stories. The one thing that neither Jenny or I joined in on was the sushi. Neither of us were fans of the Japanese delicacy and we received lots of good natured teasing about that. Well Jenny did and for the most part I did too, except for a comment Monica that I was little slow to pick up on. “Don’t like raw things in your mouth, huh? I thought you may.” I began to get a bit worked up, but I didn’t want to make a scene, so I just bit my lip.

We finished dinner and thought it would be best if we got Amy back to her parents. We dropped her off, wishing her a good night and telling her we would see her tomorrow. We made our way to the few clubs in downtown Palm Beach, where we proceeded to dance and drink the night away. Seven drunk women in dresses that barely covered their rears were a hit at the clubs. Guys were hitting on all of us through out the night. Julie, Kelly, Jenny and I of course said no but the other three had no problem entertaining some of the offers. While they were off dancing with the various would be suitors, Kelly led us up to the bar and the shots began. As I said, Kelly could be a lot of fun if not a bit wild. When she got Julie up on a table with her, Jenny and I couldn’t stop laughing, and cheering. More Kamikazes were downed in a toast to Julie’s soon to be change in availability. A bouncer came over and told us we were out of there, which we all gave a mild protest to. We decided to go to another bar and continue with our partying ways.

After about forty-five minutes at that club, Monica announced it was time to make our way to the next bar. The seven of us stumbled down the street laughing away. Jenny and I basically held each other up. Jenny split off to help her cousin, who was stumbling a bit and I found myself standing next to Monica. “You’re going to LOVE this next bar, Alexa.” She said with a slightly evil tone to her voice. We slid in the back door of the club and we were led to a table near the front of the stage. Being that I was drunk, I didn’t notice what was going on around me. Soon the lights of the bar dimmed, and an announcer came over the PA. ‘Good evening Ladies” the voice boomed. “I’s time feel the roar! From Australia, it’s time to roll with Thunder Down Under!” And with that 6 muscular men in extremely tight jeans came out on stage. The screams I heard from the other people in club blew me away. It sounded as if the Beatles had taken the stage. Women of all ages rushed the stage to take in the show, I looked at Monica and all I could see was evil in her eyes. I stood and ran out of the bar. Jenny began to get up and I could hear Monica call out in a mocking tone, “Where are you going Alexa?” I turned and saw Jenny glare at Monica before following me out of the bar.

When I got to the street, I suddenly felt sick. I looked around and found the side of the bar and began throwing up. The next thing I felt was a hand holding my hair back and an arm around my shoulders holding me up. The voice of an angel started speaking to me, telling me that it would be OK. I finished emptying my stomach and turned to see Jenny with a sympathetic look in her eyes. “I’m sorry Lex. I had no idea we were coming to a place like this. Are you OK?” Jenny asked as she moved closer to me and pulled me in to her arms. I nodded as she continued to hold me. She asked if Monica had been making comments like that all night. I buried my head into Jenny’s shoulder. I think my silence answered Jenny’s question. “Why didn’t you say something?” she asked. I pulled my head out of her for a second and looked at her with tears in my eyes. “I didn’t want to cause a scene on Julie’s big night” I told my partner. Jenny pulled me back into her embrace. “You can be the most infuriating person in the world, did you know that? I want to kiss you and punch you at the same time” Jenny said with a giggle, which got me going. “Come on, we are heading back to grandma’s” Jenny said. She led me back to the front of the bar and waved down a cab for our return to the Thompson estate.

On the ride back to the house, Jenny urged me to tell her everything that had gone on during the past few days, and nervously I started in. I told her how Monica had been shooting me dirty looks all week and making little demeaning comments. I told Jenny about how alone I had felt while she had been off doing things for the wedding. Jenny sat back, astounded that this had all passed her by. Just like that afternoon, she pulled me in and began apologizing “I didn’t know babe. I guess I was so excited for Julie, I didn’t pick up on what that bitch was saying.” I tried to get her to stop blaming herself, but she wouldn’t. Even when I said I was just trying not to cause problems, Jenny got upset. Not at me, but at herself. “I asked you to not to do anything, and in turn that bitch tormented you. And I was too wrapped up to notice it.” And what always seems to happen, the one who had been hurt became the comforter of the other.

While we were no longer in a party mood, the various elixirs we had consumed had stayed with us. They were welcomed because as we exited the cab, we managed to fall down like the drunken fools we were. It allowed us to break out of our little pity party. We stumbled into the house as the same giggling girls we normally were. As we tried to make our way to our room, we ran into Marty, Rob and LJ sitting in the living room. Marty took one look at us and groaned but Rob began laughing at the state we were in. “What are you two doing back so early?” Rob asked, “I figured we wouldn’t see you until morning.” We plopped down on the couch between the two brothers, and as a joke I wrapped my arms around Marty and gave him a big hug. “Oh god, its worse than I thought” Marty exclaimed. As Jenny and I began laughing. “How much did you two drink and what are doing home?” I looked nervously at Jenny who decided to play coy. “Not as much as the others I bet.” She responded and both of us began to giggle. Jenny than hopped on the other side of her father. She leaned in and gave him a big kiss on the cheek, which got Marty to groan even louder and Jenny’s uncles to laugh even harder. I got up and made my way towards the kitchen to find us some water.

I returned to the living room to see Jenny holding court describing what we had done. “After the bouncer kicked Julie and Kelly out for dancing on the table, we decided to go to another bar. That is when the little brunette here decided she didn’t want her dinner anymore. So, I brought her home.” Jenny saw me and flashed a smile. Even now, when we could have blown the lid off on Monica, Jenny kept up a good front. LJ was the next to groan. “Who knows where they are. With Monica leading the way they could be down in Little Havana by now” Jenny and I shared a look with each other. I could see Marty react to it, but he said nothing. Jenny and I wished the men a good night, and each Jenny and I giving Marty a more meaningful kiss good night. As we were walking down the hall, I could hear LJ saying something about that “damn Monica.”

I awoke the next morning to a pounding headache. As I rolled over I encountered something I didn’t expect, but did not object to. Laying there, just smiling at me was Jenny. A look of happiness spread all over her face “Morning” she whispered before she kissed me ever so softly. She wrapped her arms around me as I tried to bring the pile of mush between my ears back on line. It took me a moment to remember everything from the previous evening. And rather than bring up what happened the previous night I let Jenny hold me. To be held by her was glorious. I don’t know how long I had been there in her loving embrace when she spoke again. “I am never going to let that happen again” she whispered to me. “What? Let me get real drunk?” I asked. It was the perfect thing to say because it got her giggling. I didn’t want her to dwell on my little tantrum. She picked up on it and we returned to holding each other, but that was only a brief spot on our journey to different destination, a destination that ended a little over an hour latter as we exited the bedroom and made our way to the kitchen in search of coffee.

The morning cacophony that we were expecting was not present. Mary’s cook, Rosina, was sitting at the counter playing on her phone when we entered. She teased us about being the first awake. She started to get up to get us something, but we told her to sit down. Jenny grabbed us some coffee while I retrieved some water for us. We sat at the counter with a shocked Rosina. She was a very nice Cuban woman who had worked for Mary for several years and thought of all the grandkids as her own. That was when Jenny almost gave Rosina a heart attack. Jenny got up and hugged the woman, thanking her for always being so kind. But that wasn’t what almost gave the cook a heart attack. Jenny looked at me and announced, “I feel like some French Toast, you want some Alexa?” I said yes, and Rosina started to get up, Jenny gently pushed her back into her seat. ‘That’s OK Rosina, I got this. Would you like some?” The Cuban woman just stared at my fiancée as she went over to the refrigerator and pulled out the eggs and milk. “Who are you?” Rosina asked in confusion. “She has been working on her cooking. She’s getting better. It’s moving into edible” I said which got Rosina laughing, but it also got a sponge tossed at me.

As Jenny was flipping the first round of our breakfast, a voice came from behind me. “What are you doing young lady?” I knew Mary was in one of her teasing moods and I began to laugh into my coffee. I almost choked on it when my fiancée turned and looked at her grandmother and said “Cooking, not like you were going to do it” Silence fell on the kitchen. Mary turned and looked at me saying “This is all your fault” before turning to her granddaughter and warning her about her mouth. I knew where Mary was going, and I thought it was great. She grabbed herself a cup of coffee and sat down next to me and whispered ‘Good job Alexa” to me. I had never felt so proud in my life. And as more members of the Thompson family entered the kitchen from either sleeping or Rob and Marty from pool side, the same comments were made. to both of us. It was fun watching Marty sit there all proud that his daughter was making breakfast for everyone.
Everyone loved Jenny’s cooking. Even the twins were impressed that Jenny could pull this off. The only two that didn’t get an opportunity to enjoy Jenny’s French Toast were Julie and Monica. We were just finishing cleaning up when the two of them stumbled into the kitchen. “What happened to you two last night?” Julie asked. Not wanting to cause a scene, I just said I had too much to drink and Jenny brought me home. While I didn’t want to start something, Jenny looked as if she was ready to rumble. She just stared at Monica with a menacing look. Through her hangover, Monica looked a bit nervous and slipped off to the television room leaving me with the two cousins. Jenny said nothing, but I could tell she wanted to. We got the lowdown on the remainder of the night. How Kelly wound up on stage dancing with the dancers and how Monica had gone as far as to pull one of the break away swim suits off the dancers with her mouth. Leaving him in nothing bit a thong. I just giggled a bit at that, but Jenny muttered “Shock” as she turned back to the dishes. Julie had a questioning look on her face and I think if she wasn’t so hungover she might have picked up on her cousin’s thoughts. She slowly walked out of the kitchen and joined her best friend.

Since we had the rehearsal dinner tonight, Jenny and I decided that we should go hang out by the pool and soak up some sun. I agreed whole heartedly. The idea of just hanging with Jenny is what I needed. I started to slip on my pink, blue and white one piece when a very loud “no’ rang out through the bedroom. “Put on one your bikinis” Jenny demanded, an evil grin on her face. I was a bit lost as Jenny moved over.ro me and planted a deep kiss on me. “I want that cow to see how much sexier you are than her” Jenny turned and went to finish putting on her suit. I had rarely seen this attitude in her, mostly it came out when she was upset with store clerks. We made our way out to the pool and Jenny urged me to strut past the table Julie and Monica were sitting at. I kept my eyes forward, but I noticed Jenny look over at table and saw a smile come across her face. We laid back on a couple of lounge chairs and Jenny reached for my hand. That action in and of itself was nothing new, but everything Jenny was doing was new. It was like she wanted to prove to everyone we were together, and we loved one another. Though I really don’t think her actions were directed at anybody but Monica.

After a while Julie and Monica decided to join us laying out and Jenny was back on stage. First, she asked me if need some sunblock. Not one to turn down Jenny rubbing me down, I quickly rolled over on to my stomach and let Jenny’s finger work their magic. I returned the favor and when I was finished Jenny rolled over and gave me a big kiss. “Hey babe, would you go grab me a water?” she asked. I could see the wicked grin on her face and I decided to follow her lead. I slipped on the wedge sandals she had worn rather than my own and strutted like a runway model to the cabana. Jamie would have been proud of me as I worked it. I could see Monica’s look of surprise as I walked past her. And when I went to give Jenny her bottle, I bent over like that time outside the apartment with Brandon. Jenny was turning ten different shades of red as she held in her laughter. Our actions must have had the desired effect because we noticed that as Monica and Julie went to go inside, Monica put on her cover up rather than try and show off her body. When those two were in the house, Jenny gave me a high five and repeated the four words that meant more to me than anything “I love you, Lex.”

At Six O’clock, the preparations went into earnest. Everyone from both families was there for the rehearsal of tomorrow’s ceremony. We went through everything that need to be done. Unfortunately, Monica came back to claim the center stage and took over as the de facto second wedding director and began ordering us around. Fortunately, my small part was going to be part of a parade of the family. Julie had wanted all the family to take part in some small way and that included me. I was to walk down the aisle with Marty. While I had never been to a ceremony that included so much attention on the family it would be interesting. Marty and I were to lead off everything. I took his arm and the two of us walked down the aisle. The two of us got a little silly as we went through the motions. “Do you think Monica will stand up there giving directions tomorrow?” Marty asked which got me giggling. Monica shot us a dirty look as I responded, “Only if the broom is in top gear” which got him laughing. We took our seats and next down the aisle was Mary, being escorted by Rob. Mary and I knew we wanted to sit by one another so, we finagled a little impromptu move and the Thompson boys both waiting for their mother to enter in to the row before taking their seats.

After everyone was seated we watched as the bridal party went through their rehearsal. Jason escorted Amy, followed by Jon and Jenny. A minor argument over who went with who by the twins started up. An upset Monica settled it. “Jason, you will go first down the aisle with Amy because your name is always said first.” Mary leaned into me and whispered ‘Bitch” which got me giggling. I quickly composed myself and we watched the rest of the rehearsal go the way we wanted. Everyone cheered as they said it was time for the dinner. We all made are way to the various cars that would ferry us over to the club where we would enjoy our meal. Marty had reserved a limo to take me, Jenny, Mary, Rob and himself over to the club. And he had made sure that there were plenty of provisions. I notice that he and Rob both quickly reach for glasses and pour themselves some bourbon before asking any of us if we wanted anything. “Is she always such a bitch, Jenny?” Rob asked. I decided to try and tease Rob a bit. “Are you calling me a bitch Rob?” I said which earned a laugh from the other Thompsons and a “Shut up, Alexa” from Rob. At that moment I felt like I really was completely part of the family. And Jenny picked up on it to and pulled me in.

The dinner was your usual boring affair. A little stuffier than I would have liked, and Jenny and I spent a lot time saying, “we aren’t doing this” as we looked around. I was mostly bored with the festivities. I had got caught up in a conversation with Kelly, asking her about the remainder of the night before. She began giggling and pulled me to the side and told me the story of how she wound up on stage. She got called away by Cole and I realized I was standing alone. I decide I needed something other than wine to drink, so I went to get a club soda from the bar. As I made my way over, I heard a voice I was very familiar with behind a partition. “Alexa told me you have been a bitch to her all week. What is your problem?” I heard Jenny say. I heard Monica try and deny everything, but Jenny wasn’t taking it. “You are so full of shit Monica. If I ever hear you say another disparaging thing to Lex again you will wish you had never been born.” I heard Monica storm off. I slumped against the wall and began crying. The next thing I heard was the voice of my own personal Angel. “Lex? Are you alright?” I wrapped my arms around Jenny and squeezed her as tight as I could and thanked her. She looked me in the eye. “If you think I wouldn’t stick up for you to that spoiled little brat you are as crazy as her.” Jenny said and hugged me. Then to get me going, she whispered that I could make it up to her later. I had never wanted a party to end so much in my life.

The next day was a whirlwind of activity. And even though I knew that Jenny was going to be gone all day, I was in much better spirits. We had talked when we alone in the room and we came away with an even stronger relationship than before. I was glad that I didn’t have to run off and be part of the wedding party as the Vikings played the Bears at one. Even though the game didn’t matter, Marty and I still went into our normal game routine. That being arguing about the Vikings, even thought they were going to finish either 13 and 3 or 12 and 4. Rob got a kick out the two of us. It was a great way to spend an afternoon as we waited for the fun of later. I also noticed that as I spent more time with Rob that my strange feelings had dissipated. I marked it up as me adjusting to my hormones. I went and changed at halftime and when Jenny showed up and saw me sitting in my dress, screaming at the TV with her father and uncle she laughed. “We are getting married in the summer for sure after seeing this” Jenny teased. I told her she looked beautiful in the knee length, pink taffeta dress. She thanked me and gave me a quick peck before telling me she had to get going.

Just a few minutes later, Mary entered the room, resplendent in a very elegant pink suit. “OK you three, enough watching football. Its time for the wedding.” We tried to whine but Mary would have none of it and ordered us to move. Marty leaned in and told me that this is what she was like when they were growing up. “I heard that Charles Martin!” Mary bellowed as we quickly walked out of the house and made our way down to one of the two tents that had been set up as holding areas for the bridal parties. Julie looked beautiful in her simple, white gown, but extremely nervous. Though I think Bridget had her daughter beat on the nervousness scale. At least Bridget was able to expend some of that energy by floating around the tent and fussing over everyone. The planner stuck his head into the tent and said it was time. I followed Marty, Rob and Mary over the bride and wished her luck, I was a little surprised when Julie gave me a quick hug. “Thanks for letting me steal Jenny for the last few days” she told me, and I assured her it wasn’t a problem. She then reminded me I was next. I attempted to get her to relax with a little humor, “We decided last night. Were going to Vegas.” The joke had the desired effect as Julie laughed and said “I don’t blame you. Wish we had.” I moved to my place alongside Marty and waited for the signal. Marty joked that I should have worn the hat yesterday, so he could practice dealing with it. Simultaneously, Mary and I told him to shut up. I made sure that the wine colored, corded lace sheath dress I had chosen was sitting properly on my body and took a deep breath. This was to be another new unveiling of Alexa Quinn, but this time I would be escorted by the man who had done more than me for any man alive.

We stepped out of the tent to the first oohs and aahs of the evening and made our way down the aisle. I took my seat and watched as Marty waited for Mary and Rob. Each of the Thompson men kissed their mother on the cheek before she took her seat next to me. That was when the fun began. Mary and I began whispering back and forth to each other, commenting on everyone. “That dress Andrew’s mother is a little frumpy” Mary said in which I had to come back with a question of whether it was meant to be that tight. We giggled and continued to watch and make comments. When Amy came down, I cooed a bit a commented on how nice she looked, only for Mary to comment that she had on a bit too much make up, “makes her look like a tart” and I couldn’t help but giggle a bit louder. Marty leaned forward and looked at me and Mary with a stern look. Mary leaned over to me and whispered “Busted” which got both of us giggling even louder. Marty raised his hand to his head and began shaking it.

When Jenny came down the aisle she looked as beautiful as I had ever seen her. We locked eyes and shared our love for each as best as we could. Then came my old pal Monica. I kept the smile on my face, but tried not to allow any warm thoughts to enter my head. Finally, the few guests who had been invited stood up as Julie and LJ appeared. I looked up at the bridal party and I couldn’t believe Jenny wasn’t looking at her cousin, but at me. Her smile was huge, and I watched her as she mouthed ‘love you’ to me. I began to weep a bit. Thank god, we were at a wedding where this was allowed. I did straighten myself up and joined the rest of the Thompson family in the proud stance as the first of the next generation made their way to the alter. After LJ passed off his only daughter to her future husband we all took our seats. It was a beautiful ceremony and watching Julie and Andrew share their love for one another was moving. Once again, I began to weep a bit and I watched my future wife do the same and again we locked eyes. This time I felt Mary pat me on the knee. I looked, and she gave me one of the kindest smiles I had ever received.

Before we knew it, Andrew and Julie were making their way back up the aisle to be followed by the rest of the wedding party and then the two families. We quickly made our way through the receiving line and made our way to the yard and the reception. The four of us took an offered glass of champagne and Rob quickly reached and began loosening his tie only to be admonished by his mother. “Robert leave that tie alone” Rob let out an “Aw geez mom” before following her orders. Jenny joined us, and she and I were able to spend some time together before dinner was served. When dinner was announced, we took our assigned seats and listened to the speeches by Cole and Monica and endured the clinking of glasses that got the newlyweds to share a very public kiss. Thankfully the dinner went quickly and just as the sun was setting, the dancing began. Jenny and I spent some time dancing, but mostly just enjoying being together. At one point I realized I need something to drink. I asked Jenny if she needed anything. After taking her order, I made my way to the bar. It was there I encountered the Maid of Honor.

‘Well there she is. The fairy princess of Minneapolis. So sorry you left the other night. I think those Aussie boys were looking forward to you.” The woman was obviously drunk of her ass. I tried to ask her what her problem with me was. “You want know what my problem is? I think you are nothing but a gold-digging fairy. You are trying to weasel your way in the Thompson’s and get into all that money. You don’t care about Jenny or any of the Thompsons. You just put on this little act. You make me sick.” Before I could even respond to the accusations, I watched a mass of blonde hair move in to confront my detractor. What shocked me was that the blonde-haired woman was wearing a white dress and not pink.

“What did you just say her to her Monica? She is not any of these things you just called her. This is my friend and has been through hell and you think you could go off and call her those names?” Julie practically screamed at her friend. Julie went on before Monica could open her mouth “No wait, she isn’t a friend. She is part of this family, or almost part of it. I talked with Jenny earlier and she told me about the little snide comments you have been making to Alexa all week. I think if you can’t treat a member of my family with more respect than that I don’t want to be friends with you.’ Julie turned and stormed off. A shocked Monica went chasing after her, calling her name so she could explain herself. I stood there in disbelief as to what just happened, that’s when I turned and saw both Jenny and Mary standing there. Large smiles spread across their faces. Jenny came up and hugged me.

At that moment, I felt more part of this family than I ever had. During the week I had experienced the gentle teasing of Jenny’s male cousins, the understanding instruction of her Uncle and amazingly, I had watched Jenny’s cousin defend me against her oldest friend in the world. But most importantly Jenny and I found a way to strengthen the love we shared. As Jenny and I shared our hug, Mary moved past us and went up to the bar. As Jenny and I broke our hug, we found Mary standing there with glasses of champagne. We each took a glass from Jenny’s grandmother, who was going to offer up a toast, or so we thought.

“Time to start planning the next one.”

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Monica is a twit,

And made a very big mistake that likely cost her a friendship by verbally abusing Alexa, someone Julie considers to be family, or nearly so.

Perhaps it's time for Monica to learn one of life's hard lessons, although I wonder if she has the sense to actually comprehend the lesson.

Next wedding? Jenny and Alexa, or is that more likely to be a ways down the road yet?

Jenny and Alexa

Never too early to start planning a wedding.

Satisfying Conclusion

Good posting Kris. Thanks for sharing. My guess is that Alexa would have done a better job sticking up for herself if Jenny had not tied her hands. It seems pretty unthinking of both Jenny and Julie to allow Alexa to be excluded from the wedding prep activities (at least be given the choice of tagging along) when there were no other similar age young women left at the house when the bride and bridesmaids were out.

I love Mary more and more

Samantha Heart's picture

That old woman has a way with words. The way she teases makes me laugh EVERY TIME LOL. It's ABOUT TIME Jenny zinger her grandmother; that girl finally caught on. Now to Monica... she IS a MAJOR stuck-up bitch!!!! Jenny told her cousin everything Monica has done to Alixa the past week. And in the end when she smarted off to Alixa at the reception the Bride and ex-friend heard her and set the record straight. Personally I would have slapped her then told her to leave and NEVER come back but FIRST apologize to Alexia that would have have really frosted her. Now planning for the next wedding aka Jenny and Alexia''s there will be TWO stressed out young ladies on this one, but if Momma Quin and Marry have any say (Which we all know they will.) The planning will be handled through those two oh and include Katie''s mother as well she'll want to be in on the planning as well as Katie her self.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

So glad

My5InchFMHeels's picture

So glad to see the bride there to hear how her friend was treating a family member. Maybe if Monica had seen how many times Alexa tried to keep Jenny's family from spoiling her she'd be playing a different tune.

The fairy princess comment was very likely to be taken as a transgender slight, even if it was meant as a spoiled rich bitch term.