School Life Chp. 1

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey adjust the shoulder strap of her backpack. She couldn’t believe that this was her fourth school in the last six years. She has been bounced from one foster home to another since her aunt put her in foster care. Her aunt had a drug problem and had been using the money the state gave her to buy drugs. Her parents had died in a car accident when she was just six years old. The state gave her to her aunt to be raised. Her aunt didn’t take proper care of her, which caused the school to call child services.

The first foster home she had been placed in was heavily religious. When she refused to play with boy toys and wear clothes meant for her birth gender. They couldn’t handle it and asked if she could be placed with another family. The next couple she had been place with at first didn’t have a problem with her being a transgender child, but they weren’t prepared for the social pressure of having a transgender child. Not only that, her foster father molested her when her foster mother was at work or late at night.

Her third foster home was a group home. She got teased and beaten up by some of the older boys, because she refused to dress as a boy. One of the boys made her give him oral sex. One of the other boys, accused her of stealing and planted the evidence to prove what they accused her of.

So, now she was placed with her current foster parent. She was a single woman who worked as a real estate agent for a small realtor company. She was in her mid-forties and recently widow. Her husband had died overseas from an ISIS attack. His convoy had been ambushed and he took a bullet to his head.

She had come up to the school yesterday with her foster mother and shown around. She already had her class schedule and picked out her locker. She got her school books while she was at the school yesterday.

The school principal was an older gentleman that had a bald spot in the middle of his head. Her foster mother had told her he used to be the vice principal. The current vice principal was a lady a little older than her foster mother. She used to be a police officer, before she was forced to retire.

She was the school’s first transgender student and certain arrangements had to be arranged for her. Not only was she their first transgender student, but she was also the youngest high schooler they had. She was just twelve years old and had been skipped a couple of grades.

The school had an indoor swimming pool and she would be required to take swimming lesson with the rest of her class. The female instructors had been informed about her and given a locker near the instructor’s office. That way they could watch and protect her.

Lindsey heads towards her first class, which happened to be English. She sat quietly and watches as the other students came into the room. Some of them paid her no mind, but a few did wonder who she was.

She noticed that the clothes she was wearing were a little out of date. The only new items she owned, was her backpack and her tennis shoes.
Her old pair had developed a hole in the sole of them and had to be replaced. She only owns two pairs of shoes. One pair of black Mary Jane dress shoes and the tennis shoes she was currently wearing. The rest of her clothes came from the thrift store. What she had on today was a faded pair of blue jeans and a nice blouse that went with her jeans.

She had taken a seat in the front row. She hopes they didn’t have assigned seats. She sat up front in class, because of the glasses she wore. They were a cheap pair of reading glasses from dollar tree. She was near-sighted and had to wear her glasses to read.

As she sat and waited for her teacher to show-up. She jotted down some notes to a song that had been forming in her head. She knew how to read and write music. She learned by spending time in the public library watching YouTube videos and checking out music books. She looks up when she hears the clacking of her teachers shoes as she entered the room.

Her teacher had shoulder length black hair that framed her face. She looked to be in her late thirties. She was dressed in a nice dress.

“Good morning, you must be my new student Lindsey Sabberton. Welcome to Spring Hill High.” Mrs. Wheeler had been informed yesterday during the staff meeting she was getting a new student in her English course. She was told that the student was rather young, but very bright.
She was amazed at how young Lindsey looked. The girl had long straight dark brown hair that was tied back into a pony tail. It was held together with a rubber band. Her pony tail only came down about a foot or two past her shoulders. The blouse she was wearing was a little faded and a few years out of style. She noticed the glasses Lindsey was wearing were the type you could get almost anywhere.

“Thank you, ma’am.” Lindsey gave her teacher a pleasant smile.

Lindsey takes her notebook out along with a pencil. She was ready to start writing whatever Mrs. Wheeler put up on the blackboard. She glances around and notice only a few other students did what she did.

Mrs. Wheeler goes through her roll call and notice the same students that were always absent weren’t there. She informed the class that they had a new student and had Lindsey stand up. Once that was done, she turned around and started writing that day’s assignment on the blackboard.

Lindsey writes the assignment down and then open her book. She looks over the pages her teacher was assigning them. While she made notes on what Mrs. Wheeler was saying and writing on the board. She worked on the assignment. It seemed easy enough for her to do and get done before she switched classes.

The bell rings and she pack her things up to head towards her homeroom. As she walks in, she notices her homeroom teacher erasing the blackboard. She walks up to her homeroom teachers desk.

“Hi Mrs. Jones, I’m Lindsey Sabberton and I’ve been assigned to your homeroom.” Lindsey shows her class schedule to Mrs. Jones.

Nora had been informed that she was getting a new student today. She had also been informed that the new student was transgender. She looks at the young girl standing before her. She couldn’t see any features that would give her away as being a boy. She did notice the clothes she wore and her light blue eyes through her cheap reading glasses.

“Well, welcome to Spring Hill High. If you have any problems or questions, please feel free to come to me.” She smiles at Lindsey.

“Thank you, ma’am.” Lindsey goes over and sits down at a nearby desk.

Lindsey listens as Mrs. Jones gives the announcements the office gave her this morning. Homeroom wasn’t very long and by the time the bell
rang. Lindsey was ready for her next class, which happened to be a math class.

The first half of the morning, she introduces herself to her new teachers and take part in class. By the time lunch time arrives, she was hungry.
She hadn’t had breakfast before she came to school. When she checks her purse for her lunch money, she doesn’t find any. She forgot to ask her foster mother for lunch money. She enters the cafeteria and finds a table out of the way and sit there. She opens her backpack and pull out some peanut butter and cheese crackers she keeps for emergency and a bottle water to drink.

She learned a long time ago, while living with her aunt to keep a package of crackers and a bottle of water in her backpack. Lindsey pulls out her notepad of blank music sheets and work on the piece of music she started. She hums to herself as she writes the notes down. After twenty minutes, she stops working on the piece. She pulls out her class schedule to see what her next class was.

She lets out a sigh as she realizes that she has gym class next. According to what her teacher told her yesterday when she went on the tour to her different classes and to meet her teachers. This week was gym week and they were in the pool. She doesn’t know how to swim. She never bothered to learned how.

The different elementary schools she attended didn’t have a pool. She packs up her music notepad and throw away her trash. As she heads towards the girl’s locker room. She felt a little nervous as she stepped through the door. She’s has never undressed before in front of other people. She heads down towards the locker that had been assigned to her next to the coaches’ office.

She stows away her backpack, after pulling her school approved swimsuit out. She ignores the other girls around her as she undresses. Her birth defect was extremely small, because she was on hormones. She had a birthmark in the shape of a crescent moon on her back right shoulder. She slips her swimsuit on and carefully tuck away her birth defect as she adjusts her swimsuit, so it was smooth. She grabs her towel and flip flops and head out to towards the pool behind a few other girls.

She sits on the bench waiting for the other students to arrive. She notices that the boys were loud and tried pushing each other into the pool. As they walked down to the shallow end. Once their instructor took roll. All of them were told to get into the shallow end and line up against the wall of the pool. She had to be careful. She was only 4 feet 4 inches tall and the pool was 3.5 feet deep, almost 4ft. She held onto the side of the pool with a few other girls that were as short as she was.

Her instructor taught them how to kick and float. She also taught them how doggy paddle. By the time class was over, she could doggy paddle if she ever fell into the pool or large body of water. When she heads back into the girl’s locker room, she rinses off still wearing her bathing suit and slip off the suit after she dried. She copies some of the girls and twist her suit out in the showers, while wearing her towel tied around her body.

She heads back to her locker and slip her panties on under her towel and her training bra. She tries not to look to much, but some of the girls were already developing breast. She gets dress without any of the girls seeing her birth defect. She only had two more classes to go and she could go home.

She looks at her schedule and notices she had Earth Science and music class next. Her Earth Science teacher was a huge guy that resemble Clark Kent from the old Superman movies. She has fun learning in his class. He may be big and looked like Clark Kent, but he knew his Earth Science and was a wonderful teacher.

When she goes to her music class. They didn’t have a piano for her to play. So, she said she would like to learn how to play the saxophone instead. It took her awhile to learn how to place her fingers for the saxophone and to blow properly through the reed. Reading the music, they were practicing was easy for her.

By the time class ended, she was ready to go home. She a lot of homework she needed to get done, on top of learning how to play the saxophone. She wishes she had a piano or electric keyboard to play. By the time she gets home, there is a message for her.

Lindsey,

I have to work late tonight. Here is twenty dollars for you to order yourself a Pizza, Sub or Chinese. I won’t be home till you go to bed. If you have any problems, the Jackson’s next door can help you out. Here is my cell number 803-215-5587.
Luv

Lindsey orders a medium combination pizza from Domino’s and fixes herself some tea to drink while she waits for the pizza to be delivered.

up
489 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Amazing!

Christina H's picture

Yet another story - that's two new ones in one day I marvel at your talent.

PE class

My school had an indoor swimming pool and during gym week we would go swimming one week.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Swimming in PE

When I was in high school during the Dark Ages (1962 - 1966), we had swimming, though the boys and the girls did not swim at the same time. We were told that it was a state requirement, but since not all high schools had swimming pools, I wonder about that.

Nice Story

Beoca's picture

Used to try to keep up with your output, gave up. First piece of yours I've read in a while. Nicely done; good character, solid details (the PE class does seem a bit odd...), and overall just a enjoyable quick day in a girl's life.

Just wondering...

If you are talking about the "swallow end" of a swimming pool, do you mean the "shallow end" (as in not deep) ?

Spelling

Looks like the spelling gremlin struck again. Thank you.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Just a matter of time?

Jamie Lee's picture

First day of her new school seemed to go fine. It does though, seem it's only a matter of time before Lindsey is picked on because of her age and being TG. Unless that school has a tight rein on bullying.

Others have feelings too.

High school

When I went to school both my middle school and High School Homeroom was before the first class. And sadly my school didn’t have a pool at all.

Classes

Mine we're between first and second bell. I didn't remember much of my Jr. High years. I do know I had the same teacher for home room and English, just at different times.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Glasses

I think you’re confusing nearsightedness for farsightedness, as you wouldn’t be able to correct nearsightedness with a pair of over the counter reading glasses. Those glasses are somewhere from +0.75 to +3.5 and you need a - (minus) something prescription for nearsightedness. Reading glasses would work for farsightedness though and farsightedness would explain why she would need glasses to read a book, but not for reading the blackboard.

As for the saxophone, maybe a small detail, but for the unpracticed a saxophone is pretty painful on the lips to play. Just like playing a guitar for the unpracticed is painful on the fingers. You bite on your lips as you play the saxophone (at least I’m pretty sure you do).